Author Topic: Whom do you really respect in the other party?  (Read 1024 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Whom do you really respect in the other party?
« on: December 06, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »
Former CIA Director and current Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, is the Republican I respect the most.  He has served the country with honor and distinction (note: those are not the same thing).  When the war in Iraq and Department of Defense were circling the drain under Donald Rumsfeld, Gates left a very comfortable position as President of Texas A&M University to take on what then seemed like mission impossible: turning things around.

In working for Bush, and continuing that service under Obama, Gates served the country--not his party or simply the Commander in Chief.  Sure he is a Republican, but when you listen to Bob speak (on almost any topic) you never hear the voice of an ideologue or poisonous rhetoric.  You hear reason.  Gates is devoted to solutions—not simply or even primarily advancing his own agenda.  There are not many GOP leaders I would follow, but I would work for Bob Gates any day.  Gates has a master’s degree from Indiana University and a Ph.D. from Georgetown University.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Re: Whom do you really respect in the other party?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:57:29 PM »
Unfortunatlly I find all politicians repugnant, both parties are equally worthless.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »
Unfortunatlly I find all politicians repugnant, both parties are equally worthless.

The only exception may be Ron Paul. I have not hear any arguments coming from him that seemed insincere.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
Gates to stay at Pentagon
By ANNE GEARAN, AP National Security Writer

WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Robert Gates, a holdover from the Bush administration, will remain in his Cabinet post for at least another year, his spokesman said Thursday.

Gates, who has said he considers himself a Republican, told President Barack Obama in December that he would stay on at least through the end of 2010, Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell told The Associated Press.

Obama had asked Gates to stay on shortly after Obama won the 2008 presidential election. The move was meant to maintain stability in a time of two wars, and made good on an Obama promise to include Republicans among his close advisers.

Gates' tenure in the Obama administration was never spelled out, but was assumed to be for at least one year. A year into the Obama administration, Gates appears to be a key adviser and has showed no sign that he intended to be a short-timer.

"They agreed to revisit this issue again later this year," but the commitment is open-ended, Morrell said.

Gates, 66, "certainly looks forward to one day retiring to his family home in the Pacific Northwest," Morrell said.

The White House had no immediate comment.

Keeping Gates on for at least a year means he will be in place to manage the expansion of the Afghanistan war through the summer, and to look toward the first U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan planned for the summer of 2011. He also would oversee the halving of U.S. forces in Iraq to about 50,000.

Gates served as President George W. Bush's defense secretary for two years.

A former CIA chief with long experience in government, Gates was chosen for the defense job as a soothing presence after the turbulent years of Donald H. Rumsfeld. Gates managed the 2007 "surge" that is credited with turning around the Iraq war.
Gates once said it was inconceivable that he would stay on past the close of Bush's term, and even kept a "countdown clock" on his desk that showed the days until he would be able to return to private life.

In asking Gates to stay initially, Obama was afforded a sort of extended transition in which critical military issues are left in trusted hands while Obama focused most intensely on the nation's financial crisis. Obama's assumption of the presidency was the first wartime presidential transition since 1968, when the Vietnam War was under way, and there was extra concern about security vulnerabilities during the handover.

Gates quickly became an insider in the Obama White House, and Obama has accepted Gates' advice in several prominent areas, including the Afghanistan war buildup and the realignment of the Pentagon budget.

The former spymaster has gained a reputation as a steady pragmatist, but his resume as a government policymaker is not untarnished.

During his 1991 confirmation hearings to be CIA director, Gates was criticized for missing clues about the impending fall of the Soviet Union and for politicizing Cold War intelligence.

Gates was part of the 2006 Iraq Study Group, a bipartisan panel led by former Secretary of State James Baker III and former Rep. Lee Hamilton that was asked to help chart a new course in the flagging war.

A native of Kansas, Gates joined the CIA in 1966. By 1987, he had become acting CIA director when William Casey was terminally ill with cancer.

Questions were raised about Gates' knowledge of the Iran-Contra arms and money affair, and he withdrew from consideration to take over the CIA permanently. He stayed on as deputy director.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:03 AM »
  I don't agree with their political views, but I like Anthony Weiner for being down-to-earth and unpretentious, and Alan Grayson being one of the few Liberals with cajones. He's also rumored to be in favor of Ron Paul's idea to audit the Fed.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:24:40 AM »
  I don't agree with their political views, but I like Anthony Weiner for being down-to-earth and unpretentious, and Alan Grayson being one of the few Liberals with cajones. He's also rumored to be in favor of Ron Paul's idea to audit the Fed.

I like Dennis Kucinich and to a lesser degree Russ Feingold. 

I am starting to like my Governor Patterson.  He is really trying to cut the spending and raise awareness of the peril NYS is in, and Obama has sent his minions to undermine him in favor of that crook Cuomo.. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:37:21 AM »
They're all whores.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 07:10:49 AM »
Mitt Romney
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:31:06 AM »
Mitt Romney

I cant stand Myth Romney.  His whole health care disaster in MA is the reason alone I wont vote for him in the GOP primAry.  If you want to know what ObamaCare will do the the USA look at what RomneyCare did for MA.  Its essentially the same thing.  No thanks!

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:12:31 AM »

X2

both are equally worthless..

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:48:59 PM »
I like John McCain and I always have. He would have been perfect for this country at this time in our history. I also like Joe Liberman, Michael Steele, and at times I do find Ron Paul very refreshing for telling it like it is.

I can honestly say without hesitation that I can't stand anybody on the left in the slightest. I also detest pretty much everyone else in politics these days outside of the aforementioned.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 05:49:27 AM »
I could agree with you on Gates.

Although he isn't currently a politician, I always enjoy reading Pat Buchanan's articles, probably more so than even any Democratic writer.
G

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 07:06:36 AM »
Two guys I respect a lot in each party:

Joe Liberman (I still consider him more of a democrat).
Newt Gingrich- republican

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 07:11:32 AM »
Two guys I respect a lot in each party:

Joe Liberman (I still consider him more of a democrat).
Newt Gingrich- republican
Why do you consider Liberman a Democrat?
G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 07:15:49 AM »
Why do you consider Liberman a Democrat?

Because that was what he was his entire career until the Rat party went further to the left than Stalin. 

I don't like him and think he is another hack politician.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 08:11:58 AM »
I don't like him and think he is another hack politician.

And a whore for the healthcare industry to boot. The GOP has for years now been largely a bunch of corporate prostitutes who help destroy our economy and sovereignty by exporting cheap labor and putting profit before Constitution; he should just jump ship and get it over with.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »
  And a whore for the healthcare industry to boot. The GOP has for years now been largely a bunch of corporate prostitutes who help destroy our economy and sovereignty by exporting cheap labor and putting profit before Constitution; he should just jump ship and get it over with.

Both parties are equally in bed with the mega-corps.  The dems have their favs and the Gop has theirs. 

Goldman Sachs anyone?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
Like 333 said, he has been a democrat his whole career until the far left took over the congress and he labeled himself independent.
I'm not saying I agree with him the majority of the time, just think he has a more open mind.