Author Topic: southern accents  (Read 12122 times)

lax

• Getbig IV
southern accents
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:23:59 AM »
I have noticed that wherever I travel
particularly in  deep south
news anchors/reporters do not speak with southern accents
they have a neutral, kind of northeastern accent
or none really at all

could it be because southern accent makes one sound dumb?

speak on this

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: southern accents
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:16:34 AM »
People with southern accents are characters.... ;D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:19:48 AM »
For the most part that's true but alot of the radio hosts still have/use the accent.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:26:17 AM »
fck yea
 listen to 'jonboy and billy radio show - the big show' and you'll get some souther accents

or go to a NASCAR race in the south - Maryland is not south by the way

you need to go DEEP south...........charlott e and blAcktlanta dont count

you need to venture from the big cites and go grass roots..........now here in hickory EVERYONE has an accent even my parents

I grew up in NY so I dont have one and get shit every once in awhile but for the most part every fck around here has an accent

parents are from southern virginia and that shit is outta hand - southern and cajin mixed together or something

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:29:08 AM »
Guys with southern accents=white trash.
cute chicks with southern accents=hot.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 07:41:38 AM »
fck yea
 listen to 'jonboy and billy radio show - the big show' and you'll get some souther accents

or go to a NASCAR race in the south - Maryland is not south by the way

you need to go DEEP south...........charlott e and blAcktlanta dont count

you need to venture from the big cites and go grass roots..........now here in hickory EVERYONE has an accent even my parents

I grew up in NY so I dont have one and get shit every once in awhile but for the most part every fck around here has an accent

parents are from southern virginia and that shit is outta hand - southern and cajin mixed together or something
Uh, it's below the Mason-Dixon Line, Clem.  ;D

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »
Uh, it's below the Mason-Dixon Line, Clem.  ;D

yea I got U on that one brah

but maryland isnt the south..........ask anyone from carolina

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:50:12 AM »
I have noticed that wherever I travel
particularly in  deep south
news anchors/reporters do not speak with southern accents
they have a neutral, kind of northeastern accent
or none really at all

could it be because southern accent makes one sound dumb?

speak on this
You've just now notice this? I've known this for well over 20 yrs. And your reasoning is partly true. Also most of the people who go to school for that tend to be from the northern and north east states, even though they may go to school in the south. Also has a lot to do with pronounciation, and the appearance of professionalism.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 07:59:20 AM »
The influence of movies and national TV has had an influence on kids growing up in the south. Mainly kids shows on TV. So the local southern drawl may be going away a bit. But not so much in the deeper, smaller rural areas of the U.S.. Local news people, in the South, may not actually be from that area but other parts of the county. Tend to move from broadcasting jobs, trying to get into a bigger market(CNN, Fox news, etc.). If going to broadcasting school, on the job radio training, etc you will usually be taught to develop and use a radio or TV voice. Get this example a lot from DJ's on the radio.

Got back from eastern Oklahoma a couple of months ago and still  local accent or drawl from most people. Southern Indiana has it's own accent, as does the Boston area. But another generation or so, maybe the speech pattern will be the same. Hope not, pretty attractive on Southern girls.

Side Bar: Actually the south has some very outstanding colleges, though people tend to be bias from their Southern drawl. Also famous writer from down there.
F

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 08:04:16 AM »
Actually newscasters have more of a neutral midwestern accent.....definetly not northeastern.

And glad to hear all you homo's don't like them......I've actually had compliments on my accent from women, both US and overseas.....can any of you studs say that?  8)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:16:08 AM »
Actually newscasters have more of a neutral midwestern accent.....definetly not northeastern.

And glad to hear all you homo's don't like them......I've actually had compliments on my accent from women, both US and overseas.....can any of you studs say that?  8)

Soapy studs ???

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 08:17:35 AM »
I wish I had an australian or irish accent. I have buddy that is irish and he can say the most vulgar things to women in a bar and they just fall for it. Same thing for my other buddy from australia. They can basically tell a woman that they are beautiful and wouldn't mind having a fuck from them and they get it, no bullshit.
Watching The Haters

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 08:19:05 AM »

Soapy studs ???

We ain't got soapy studs in my neck of the woods.....

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 08:31:27 AM »
I read somewhere that most newscasters are from Connecticut because its locals have the most neutral accent in the US.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 08:48:42 AM »
We ain't got soapy studs in my neck of the woods.....

I'm sure you looked long and hard...

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
Joe "Sticky Studs" Marino

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »
I wish I had an australian or irish accent. I have buddy that is irish and he can say the most vulgar things to women in a bar and they just fall for it. Same thing for my other buddy from australia. They can basically tell a woman that they are beautiful and wouldn't mind having a fuck from them and they get it, no bullshit.
No you don't. Because if he went deep south and said somethingthe females would be like, "Whaut de foook deeeed hee juast saaay?"

I have relatives that sound like Foghorm Leghorn chewing tobacco.

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 09:14:52 AM »
Interesting though you never hear those with these deep southern accents, nor
those with those bostonian accents ever criticized for not speaking "standard english".

Black people get criticized for using "ebonics", but for these southerners, their drawl
can be just as dramatic, and is accepted in their world.

Of course regardless of your accent, in certain areas of profession, you will need to speak standard
english and speak it well.

leadhead

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »
The influence of movies and national TV has had an influence on kids growing up in the south. Mainly kids shows on TV. So the local southern drawl may be going away a bit. But not so much in the deeper, smaller rural areas of the U.S.. Local news people, in the South, may not actually be from that area but other parts of the county. Tend to move from broadcasting jobs, trying to get into a bigger market(CNN, Fox news, etc.). If going to broadcasting school, on the job radio training, etc you will usually be taught to develop and use a radio or TV voice. Get this example a lot from DJ's on the radio.

Got back from eastern Oklahoma a couple of months ago and still  local accent or drawl from most people. Southern Indiana has it's own accent, as does the Boston area. But another generation or so, maybe the speech pattern will be the same. Hope not, pretty attractive on Southern girls.

Side Bar: Actually the south has some very outstanding colleges, though people tend to be bias from their Southern drawl. Also famous writer from down there.

QFT.

I grew up in what would be considered a 'deep south' small town. I never noticed the slight southern accent I have, especially around others who have a much thicker accent. I worked on my pronunciation during my early years in college because of the frequent questions about my 'redneck' accent, and I learned to downplay the accent. My accent is still thicker in my hometown around my friends though, but some educated people in the south learn to downplay or ditch the accent at times.

Speaking from firsthand experience, most people outside of these small towns have a negative connotation of the southern accent also.

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »
No you don't. Because if he went deep south and said somethingthe females would be like, "Whaut de foook deeeed hee juast saaay?"

I have relatives that sound like Foghorm Leghorn chewing tobacco.

You do realize I live in Alabama right? I wasn't born nor raised in the south though. So, I don't have an accent.
Watching The Haters

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 10:03:21 AM »
Stork is a lame penis

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
All regional American accents are off putting; Southern, Boston, Brooklyn, Midwestern. none of them even remotely pleasing to the ear

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »

don't forget the cali accent.
A

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
don't forget the cali accent.

I have a sister that live in san diego and she definetly has an accent.
Watching The Haters