Author Topic: need some advice..  (Read 2768 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
need some advice..
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:54:13 PM »
suggest a sample strongman training routine.. the conditions are limited by equipment: a non-assisted power rack and one barbell, 300lbs of weight, and some assorted accessories like straps, 20lb medicine ball, treadmill, 18ft climbing rope, etc.

My goals are maximum strength improvement and maintaining the bbr diet to lose body fat.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: need some advice..
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »
Is it a problem to get your hands on some chains? Its an easy and cheap way to add weight, while also making the movements very hard to stabilize (thats a good thing).

Large tires are free from any place that changes them. Call around.

Get a couple field stones from your local rock yard=$20 tops.

Get a hold of these and it would be much easier to help. At least the chains and stones.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »
Is it a problem to get your hands on some chains? Its an easy and cheap way to add weight, while also making the movements very hard to stabilize (thats a good thing).

Large tires are free from any place that changes them. Call around.

Get a couple field stones from your local rock yard=$20 tops.

Get a hold of these and it would be much easier to help. At least the chains and stones.

Chains are next.

What's a good starting weight for the stones and how many would be good at first? 

Tire is easy to get but I've got to wait.. no place to keep it right now.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »

Chains are next.

What's a good starting weight for the stones and how many would be good at first? 

i don't know how much my original ones weighed, but you only need 1 or 2 at the most until you learn how to handle them.

bench

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:36:56 PM »

Chains are next.

Like bench said, at least two stones. I had 3 to start. One was 100lbs for throwing/warmup, another 200lbs, and a 280lb stone. Just give them a try at the yard, set them on their scale to get an idea of the weight (scale is likely to be off ~10lbs or more), and make sure they wont destroy your arms when you lift them (just a bit of grit is better). I suggest 1x100lbs, 1x160lbs, and 1x210lbs. Around those numbers is good. You can always pick up another later.

Maintaining the BBer diet is fine as long as you dont expect massive strength gains at first. It takes calories to cope with the stress of strongman, but just add them as needed and monitor your bf in the mirror....you will do fine.

I need to know if you are planning to compete or if you just want to use it as a way to change things up a bit. I could guess its the latter and that you may one day give competition a try just to see where you stand, but I cannot be sure.

Adding strongman events to a BBers routine (replacing some normal movements) is easy. Training for a show is a bit trickier.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »
Like bench said, at least two stones. I had 3 to start. One was 100lbs for throwing/warmup, another 200lbs, and a 280lb stone. Just give them a try at the yard, set them on their scale to get an idea of the weight (scale is likely to be off ~10lbs or more), and make sure they wont destroy your arms when you lift them (just a bit of grit is better). I suggest 1x100lbs, 1x160lbs, and 1x210lbs. Around those numbers is good. You can always pick up another later.

Maintaining the BBer diet is fine as long as you dont expect massive strength gains at first. It takes calories to cope with the stress of strongman, but just add them as needed and monitor your bf in the mirror....you will do fine.

I need to know if you are planning to compete or if you just want to use it as a way to change things up a bit. I could guess its the latter and that you may one day give competition a try just to see where you stand, but I cannot be sure.

Adding strongman events to a BBers routine (replacing some normal movements) is easy. Training for a show is a bit trickier.

No plans on competing.  I don't have that kind of bone density and i refuse to touch gear but love the routine and my goals are lower bf and greatly increase strength while maintaining athleticism. 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:26:19 AM »
No plans on competing.  I don't have that kind of bone density and i refuse to touch gear but love the routine and my goals are lower bf and greatly increase strength while maintaining athleticism. 
this kind of training is very demanding, so dont expect the BB diet to work the way you expect. you will need to kick up the eating a few notches.

bench

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 04:34:52 PM »
I think the best thing for you, due to your goals, is to try to keep to the big three lifts as much as possible and just use an event here and there to change it up. You could do that or you could do 3 days of normal gym work and one day of strongman training. No one is able to do strongman all the time, it is just too taxing.

If I were in your situation I would be more likely to just do a 4 day split and add 1-2 events into 2 of those days. For example, I would use a westside template and tailor it to what is available to me. Westside uses 2 dynamic days (speed) and 2 max days. Simply substitute one or two of their accessory exercises with events. Stones can be used instead of light GM's or SLDL's. Sled back drags are hell on the hamstrings, do that instead of direct ham work. Use a stone for overhead pressing instead of the bar from time to time. Its just common sense, so get creative.

The great thing about the westside 'template' is that they stress the need for speed work, GPP, max days, and several days of rest for each kind of exercise. Many recreational BBers find that they can actually add more muscle (weight wise) with westside than the average template that gets used in BBing. Not that you will be as aesthetically pleasing. ;)

Go here:http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westside-barbell-basic-template-469668.html
Then if you have questions about how to add in some events or how to go about replicating an event, please ask!

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:40:58 PM »
I completely agree to both of your posts.  First, I am hoping adding some strongman stuff to my routine will allow me to eat a lot more carbs since I have steady state cardio AND cutting diets (go figure).  I only work out 3 or 4 days a week max anyway so I was sticking to DL's, squats, benchs, rows, and presses mainly anyway.  It would be easiest to do one strongman event per workout and just max out with it.  I don't have the patience for long work out sessions as it is anymore.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:02:30 PM »
Cardio events = front carries, tire flip, drags, truck pull, etc....

Maxing events = axle dl, heavy stones, overhead press series, super yoke, etc....

I would alternate heavy and light weeks and by exercise as well. For example:

Week 1
heavy back (max reps or weight)
light overhead/bench
heavy legs (max reps or weight, whichever you didn't do on back day)

Week 2
light back (speed)
heavy upper body (max weight or reps)
light legs (speed)

If you work out a fourth day I would say to use it as a GPP day.

Doug_Hepburn

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
this kind of training is very demanding, so dont expect the BB diet to work the way you expect. you will need to kick up the eating a few notches.

bench

Exactly...here is an example:

Breakfast
1. quart whole milk
2. large steak
3. 6 boiled eggs
5 thick pieces buttered toast
6. 4 more glasses milk
7. bowl of soup
8. 2 bowls pudding

Mid-Morning snack
1. 4 quarts whole milk