Author Topic: Joe Meeko passed away last night...  (Read 63278 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Joe Meeko passed away last night...
« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »
       "and no I dont give a flying fuck if someone dies in this "sport" especially one ive never even heard of."

I guess what shocks and saddens me the most is why would you (swede) even bother to post in this subject thread to begin with?  I believe you said originally that you were unaware of who he was?
   About a year ago I was on a well known hardcore bodybuilding site and someone posted a tribute thread to a famous snowboarder that died. I don't know him and I don't snowboard so I just moved on to the next subject thread. It would never even cross my mind to jump in that thread and post the above quote that you posted. And that was about a snowboarder on a bodybuilding site!! At least the thread on Joe Meeko was posted on a bodybuilding site.

My condolences to his friends and family. I'm in my 40's and remember him well. 1984 was my first year competing and I read several articles by and about him. In one of the mags I believe he wrote about training 7 days a week and one body part per session. Ground breaking at the time and I follow it to this day with some slight variations.
                                                i agree , it's hard to understand why a guy would click on this topic just to disrespect someone's memory. and then to keep posting with such negativity i guess his momma didn't give him enough attention as a baby, no disrespect intended just an observation.
F

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »
       "and no I dont give a flying fuck if someone dies in this "sport" especially one ive never even heard of."

I guess what shocks and saddens me the most is why would you (swede) even bother to post in this subject thread to begin with?  I believe you said originally that you were unaware of who he was?
   About a year ago I was on a well known hardcore bodybuilding site and someone posted a tribute thread to a famous snowboarder that died. I don't know him and I don't snowboard so I just moved on to the next subject thread. It would never even cross my mind to jump in that thread and post the above quote that you posted. And that was about a snowboarder on a bodybuilding site!! At least the thread on Joe Meeko was posted on a bodybuilding site.

My condolences to his friends and family. I'm in my 40's and remember him well. 1984 was my first year competing and I read several articles by and about him. In one of the mags I believe he wrote about training 7 days a week and one body part per session. Ground breaking at the time and I follow it to this day with some slight variations.

I think it is safe to say
that if all the 'swedes' were to disappear
the world would be no poorer

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »
      don't forget mr a aau started in 1939 only bill pearl and harry johnson are still alive from the 50's contest vern weaver committed suicide also.

I did not know that

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2009, 12:49:02 PM »
Lax:

From left to right, year the man won the Mr. America AAU title, year of passing, name:

1939 - 2002 Roland Essmaker age 86
1940/41 - 1998 John Grimek age 88
1942 - 1990 Frank Leight age 78
1943 - 2007 Jules Bacon age 89
1944 - 1978 Steve Stanko age 61
1945 - 2008 Clarence Ross age 84
1946 - 2005 Alan Stephan age 81
1947 - 2000 Steve Reeves age 74
1948 - 2002 George Eiferman age 76
1949 - 1992 Jack Delinger age 66
1950 - 1998 John Farbotnik age 72
1951 - 2008 Roy Hilligenn age 85
1952 - 2007 Jim Park age 79
1954 - 2007 Dick DuBois age 74
1955 - 2005 Steve Klisanin 75
1957 - 2005 Ron Lacy age 75
1958 - 1974 Tom Sansone age 38
1961 - 2008 Ray Routledge age 77
1963 - 1993 Vern Weaver age 56
1974 - 2003 Ron Thompson age 59
1977 - 1986 Dave Johns age 40
1979 - 2001 Ray Mentzer age 47
1984 - 2009 Joe Meeko age 48
1992 - 2003 Mike Scarcella age 39
average age of the above 24 men at passing: 68.6 years.

thanks joe i was gonna refer lax to your website ironhistory.com, also don't forget that the average age of the first 12 was 78.3 years and the next twelve only 58.9 as you also pointed out on ih.
F

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »
             thanks joe i was gonna refer lax to your website ironhistory.com, also don't forget that the average age of the first 12 was 78.3 years and the next twelve only 58.9 as you also pointed out on ih.

thanks to Funk, Joe and Muscle memory

LATS

• Getbig IV
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »
 suicide and other factors have to be figure before you look at the average of the last 12.. some of those were not of "natural" causes..

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2009, 01:12:57 AM »
chimpy
kids today think they needn't give respect...they think it has to be earned. They are wrong

Well, there are different types of respect. There's the respect you give everyone unless their behavior proves otherwise. You show that respect simply as matter of courtesy and decency. Then there's the type of respect you show a person that acknowledges the sheer excellence of a person, or a particular quality or ability. That must be earned.

When introduced to a person I know nothing about, it's a matter of courtesy and decency to be respectful simply because he's a fellow human being. I treat him as I want, and insist, on being treated. Of course if I learn later he's a child molester I would not be unduly disturbed if someone chopped him up into little pieces and fed him to his dog.

I have a feeling that Arnold wasn't the nicest guy in the world during his climb to the top and may have been a bit ruthless but you have to respect all that he's accomplished in life. He earned this.

Joe Meeko was a great bodybuilder and our correspondence started out bodybuilding related but that soon took a back seat and then disappeared all together. And when I first started communicating with him he seemed like a decent enough guy. Just like Jay Cutler seems like a pretty decent guy. But over the years as I got to know him better I really grew to admire him and even love him. He's one of those few people you meet in life that inspires you to want to be better. To be a better person. That he earned.

I don't think less of him because he took his own life. Because I knew him somewhat it just made me think how much suffering he must have been going through and how the disease effected his mind to drive him to this point.

RIP Joe, you touched a lot of people through your sheer goodness and decency.

PowerGrips

• Getbig I
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2009, 07:01:43 AM »
completely agree pellius

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2009, 08:10:12 AM »
if someone close to me died that I knew and respected I wouldnt post it on an anonymous forum, so you dont have to worry about that.

I dont know him, I dont care. You know him You care. I havent said Anything insulting to the man except the first post when I got a bit carried away.

I have a feeling you won't have this problem.  I doubt you have many people "close to you"  With your attitude I doubt that very much.  But, of course you will come back and say I don't know shit and I am fat.  Well I do know you are an angry and bitter boy who gets much satisfaction by posting on Getbig and rely on it for support.  I do know alos you talk alot of talk but have never ever walked the walk.  You are entertaining at times though.
No Worries 4 me

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2009, 11:12:29 AM »
I have a feeling you won't have this problem.  I doubt you have many people "close to you"  With your attitude I doubt that very much.  But, of course you will come back and say I don't know shit and I am fat.  Well I do know you are an angry and bitter boy who gets much satisfaction by posting on Getbig and rely on it for support.  I do know alos you talk alot of talk but have never ever walked the walk.  You are entertaining at times though.

Insights and wisdom that can only come from being around for a while and living life with both eyes open.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »
It is a tragedy what this thread has become.

If you don't agree with a R.I.P. thread then don't fucking post your arguments in it.

Joe was an awesome guy who i met twice and he would help anyone with anything at anytime.

I respect him more than about any bodybuilder in the 80's.

He had a lot of problems, but everyone has problems in their life at one point.

It is sad to hear of his passing, but it is downright PATHETIC that some cocksuckers are ruining this thread with their immaturity.

R.I.P. Joe Meeko, you will be remembered forever...

8)

Musclpa

• Getbig I
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »
Too bad I didnt know Joe lived near me here in Bradford county. We grew up in the same area in the Lehigh Valley. I also had a bout with Lymes disease.  It took a doctor that specialized in the disease a PICC line and heavy duty antibiotics.  I would of sent him there.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »
Oh, well — he wasn't going
to write Beethoven's Ninth Symphony anyway.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2010, 03:23:38 PM »

Oh friends, not these tones!
Rather, let us raise our voices in more pleasing
And more joyful sounds!
Joy! Joy!

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »

or invent a useless gravity suit...

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2010, 04:53:39 PM »

You're a jerk!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2010, 06:03:29 PM »
How can you really get angry at anyone that posts in any of these threads?

You may as well get mad at the world. You log on to Getbig.com. You get what you get.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »

or go to Junior College and work for the local water department like you did if you recall me exposing that on getbig. 
No Worries 4 me

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2010, 07:27:28 PM »
or go to Junior College and work for the local water department like you did if you recall me exposing that on getbig. 
I don`t.  Hope that helps.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2010, 01:53:07 AM »

No one is since already been written.

But if you are implying that Joe Meeko won't and didn't have the historic impact that Beethoven did you are correct. So what? Neither will you. But this much I can assure you: he touched far more people's lives in a positive way and will be remember and beloved by far more people than you ever will.

This gratuitous insult and disrespect of a genuinely decent and good man shows, despite your desperate attempts to the contrary, that you are at heart a shallow, vapid, cold and spiteful person and why you inspire genuine dislike and even contempt from people here and no doubt from people in your frivolous and self-indulgent life.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2010, 03:27:01 AM »

But if you are implying that Joe Meeko won't and didn't have the historic impact that Beethoven did you are correct. So what? Neither will you. But this much I can assure you: he touched far more people's lives in a positive way and will be remember and beloved by far more people than you ever will.

This gratuitous insult and disrespect of a genuinely decent and good man shows, despite your desperate attempts to the contrary, that you are at heart a shallow, vapid, cold and spiteful person and why you inspire genuine dislike and even contempt from people here and no doubt from people in your frivolous and self-indulgent life.

I assure you that I will post the same thing when you pass away.  I will consider it an honor.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2010, 10:46:52 AM »

All SO true!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2010, 12:47:18 PM »
Well said, Pellius! Thanks!