Author Topic: Small Business Confidence Collapsed From October To November (Wonder Why?)  (Read 385 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Small Business Confidence Collapsed From October To November

Joe Weisenthal|Dec. 10, 2009, 8:26 AM | 292 |2

www.businessinsider.com
________________________ ________________________ _________

David Goldman spots the results from the Discover Small Business Index and it confirms what many other indicators are showing: Something happened in November to derail the recovery.

Economic confidence among America’s small business owners plummeted in November, as more owners cited serious concerns about cash flow and saw economic conditions for their own businesses getting worse. The Discover Small Business Watch index fell 12 points in November to 76.5 from 88.5 in October.

The mood of small business owners generally has soured in November for three straight years, as economic confidence dropped from October to November in 2007 and 2008. The November 2008 index of 67.5 is the low point for the Watch since it started in August 2006.

52 percent of owners say they have experienced cash flow issues in the past 90 days, up from 44 percent in October. Forty-one percent of owners say they have not experienced cash flow issues, which is the lowest response in this category since the Watch began. The remaining 6 percent said they weren’t sure.

53 percent of small business owners see conditions getting worse in the next six months, up from 43 percent in October; while 19 percent report that conditions are improving, a sharp decline from 29 percent in October; 23 percent see conditions as the same, and 5 percent weren’t sure.

62 percent of small business owners rate the economy as poor, an increase from 55 percent in October;

30 percent rate it as fair, and 8 percent say it is good or excellent.       

53 percent of small business owners think the overall economy is getting worse, up from 44 percent in

October but still significantly lower than the 69 percent of owners who felt that way in February 2009, the last time the Watch index was this low. For November; 28 percent say the economy is getting better, down from 35 percent in October; 16 percent see it staying the same, and 3 percent are not sure.
Only 11 percent of Small Businesses Expecting Increased Sales This Year

Small business owners have a glum outlook on the holiday season: Only 11 percent expect to see more business this year over last, while 46 percent of them are expecting less business than last year, an increase over the 40 percent who said the same in November 2008; 39 percent anticipate 2009 sales will be about the same as last year, and 4 percent weren’t sure.

For many small business owners, the holiday season is not necessarily their busiest time. A majority of owners, 56 percent, say that the holiday season falls somewhere in between being their busiest and the slowest time of year, 29 percent say this is their slowest time, and 13 percent say it is the busiest.

________________________ _____________________

Hmmm, I wonder why? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Small Business Confidence Collapsed From October To November (Wonder Why?)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
There are many reasons, one is "gloom and doom" on TV every time you turn it on.    Lack of consumer confidence, millions unemployed or underemployed or afraid of being unemployed.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
There are many reasons, one is "gloom and doom" on TV every time you turn it on.    Lack of consumer confidence, millions unemployed or underemployed or afraid of being unemployed.

I had my weekly business roundtable this morning.  These are the topics are small business are petrified over: 

1.  Cap & Trade and Energy Taxes 
2.  Health Care Taxes
3.  Over-taxed consumers
4.  EPA regulations looming. 

Ozmo - Obama and the dems are a wrecking crew for the private sector.  They are absolutely killing the economy on so many levels.  i speak to people daily and thwey are absolutely pissed the fuck off at this govt. 

The more they tax the shit out people, the less money that is available for private commerce.   

No one will hire anyone until they know what their costs will be.  The same for capital spending.  businesses are afraid to make big investments because the govt is going to tax the crap out of and or their customers they rely upon to help finance these things.     

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:11:55 AM »
I had my weekly business roundtable this morning.  These are the topics are small business are petrified over: 

1.  Cap & Trade and Energy Taxes 
2.  Health Care Taxes
3.  Over-taxed consumers
4.  EPA regulations looming. 

Ozmo - Obama and the dems are a wrecking crew for the private sector.  They are absolutely killing the economy on so many levels.  i speak to people daily and thwey are absolutely pissed the fuck off at this govt. 

The more they tax the shit out people, the less money that is available for private commerce.   

No one will hire anyone until they know what their costs will be.  The same for capital spending.  businesses are afraid to make big investments because the govt is going to tax the crap out of and or their customers they rely upon to help finance these things.     

I agree to a certain extent.  But I work for a small business.  Taxes aren't a issue here, business is.  The main problem i see is sales are down.  If sales were up, taxes wouldn't as much of an issue.  What makes matters worse, is new taxes and low sales.

I don't see how raising taxes for small businesses who are struggling will help anything .

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:17:48 AM »
I agree to a certain extent.  But I work for a small business.  Taxes aren't a issue here, business is.  The main problem i see is sales are down.  If sales were up, taxes wouldn't as much of an issue.  What makes matters worse, is new taxes and low sales.

I don't see how raising taxes for small businesses who are struggling will help anything .

Your customers are not spending because they too are afraid of higher taxes and costs, let alone the overall weakness in the economy. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:21:30 AM »
Your customers are not spending because they too are afraid of higher taxes and costs, let alone the overall weakness in the economy. 

::)  No, that's not why they are not spending.  They are not spending because of the reasons i outlined, along with housing values that plummeted, and people deep in forecloser and lots and lots of new people with bad credit.