Author Topic: Neti Pot:  (Read 4700 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Neti Pot:
« on: December 11, 2009, 09:26:55 PM »
Apparently, lots of people swear it works wonders.
I'm just curious...
Has anyone here ever tried this?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Neti Pot:
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »
Apparently, lots of people swear it works wonders.
I'm just curious...
Has anyone here ever tried this?

Never tried it - never had a need, but even if I did, I doubt I'd use one.  Seems....ewwww.... gross
even though I know  ::) people swear by them
:

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
My w/o partner and her family use them.

I recently saw a headline they may not be as good as people thought though....didn't read the article so I don't know what the deal was.

:P
R

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 04:38:04 PM »
Okay, thanks.
Here's a neat article I found:

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 04:46:01 PM »
I have suffered from sinus issues for a long time and got one of these.  Waste of money.  Sure it will clean you out for a little bit but it is not a cure.  Eat a hot ass pepper and blow your nose.

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 07:57:35 PM »
They work

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »
Hey there,

I know a few people with sinus issues that use them, and they love 'em.  I asked by oncologist about using one, and he mentioned that while they can rinse the nasal cavities well, they can also spread around any bad stuff (bacteria, virus, etc.) as well.  If you're prone to infections, it's prob best to avoid them. 

What's your issue Montague, general dryness or pollutants?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:46:20 AM »
I’ve never been professionally diagnosed, but I believe I have mild allergies – primarily because my nose/sinuses act up a bit more at those key times when other allergy sufferers do. But it’s never been bad enough to warrant a trip to the Dr.

I also probably have a deviated septum from when I practiced martial arts years ago – I caught a boot tip to the face.

I tried the pot last night and did get some relief.
That slight improvement lasted all night, where as every night for about the last week I’ve woken up several times all blocked up.

I noticed the water has a more difficult time passing from the one side – more evidence to suggest a dev. septum?

I’ll try it for a while before making a final call.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:38:34 PM »
Oprah had Dr. Oz on talking about how great they are and I guess they were flying off the shelves  ::)
:

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 02:07:25 PM »
It is the rage this year but I've been using it for years.  Makes you feel good for about 30 seconds then your sinuses feel fucked again if you are sick.  It is no diff than those saline sprays.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 04:27:02 PM »
It is the rage this year but I've been using it for years.  Makes you feel good for about 30 seconds then your sinuses feel fucked again if you are sick.  It is no diff than those saline sprays.

Aren't a lot of sinus issues due to inflamation  ???  that's why you feel stuffed up but can't get anything out? I dunno.  ???  If that's the case, then I don't see how a neti pot would help  :-\
:

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 04:28:01 PM »
Hey there,

I know a few people with sinus issues that use them, and they love 'em.  I asked by oncologist about using one, and he mentioned that while they can rinse the nasal cavities well, they can also spread around any bad stuff (bacteria, virus, etc.) as well.  If you're prone to infections, it's prob best to avoid them. 

What's your issue Montague, general dryness or pollutants?

not true, opposite is true.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 04:32:01 PM »
I’ve never been professionally diagnosed, but I believe I have mild allergies – primarily because my nose/sinuses act up a bit more at those key times when other allergy sufferers do. But it’s never been bad enough to warrant a trip to the Dr.

I also probably have a deviated septum from when I practiced martial arts years ago – I caught a boot tip to the face.

I tried the pot last night and did get some relief.
That slight improvement lasted all night, where as every night for about the last week I’ve woken up several times all blocked up.

I noticed the water has a more difficult time passing from the one side – more evidence to suggest a dev. septum?

I’ll try it for a while before making a final call.

i assume your using saline in the water. Get neil-med insted, the bottle much better flow.

Sinus rinsing is amazing dude for allergies, studies have shown that saline solution when used daily reduce the number of allergic cells in the nasal mucosa (langerhan cells, mast cells, basophils, eosinophils), thereby reducing histamine. Also, they reduce sinusitis by removing bacteria and congestion, not a cure or anything, but definitely a practice in good hygiene.

Make sure it goes down the back of your throat(spit it out of course). do it twice a day, its good shit, i always do it. I have allergies ftr, they have greatly reduced my sinus headaches and congestion at night.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »
Thank you, great one.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 06:45:38 PM »
Thank you, great one.

ya Princess L pretty great :P :-*

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »
my .02 cents

Well I've had sinus issues my entire life and will till I die..sinus infections seems like monthly to me. I swear by this thing.

I've had complete sinus meltdowns and I can use this puppy w/ a zyrtec and that sh*t is clear in less than 12 hours, no runny nose, watery eyes, draining in throat which leads to upper respiratory congestion, no sinus headaches..nothing all clear....I basically keep using the neti pot after that to keep my nasal passage clean and moist since zytec will dry that sh*t out completely in my case.

My doc actually recommended this for me since nothing and I mean nothing slowed down a sinus infection I had about 6 months back that was off and on for 4 months straight . No nasal roids, codeine, tablets.....nothing...sh*t would not go away.....the worse infection I ever had entire life.

I started using the neti 2-3 times daily and slowly but surely my infection deceased. like I said, I'll always have sinus issues for life but this tool works well with a good antihistamine like zyrtec when you feel your sinus is about to turn over on you.

...and no it's not some one time use product and all is well. You can use this pot daily actually just as a nasal passage cleanser and it's completely safe even if you don't have sinus issues. You'd be amazed at the sh*t that builds up in less than 8 hours in your passage.

In my case...that build up triggers a....you got it...another infection. So I'm using this till I die.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »
I use SinuCleanse

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 07:13:08 PM »
ya Princess L pretty great :P :-*

The best!
 :)

My doc actually recommended this for me since nothing and I mean nothing slowed down a sinus infection I had about 6 months back that was off and on for 4 months straight . No nasal roids, codeine, tablets.....nothing...sh*t would not go away.....the worse infection I ever had entire life.

I started using the neti 2-3 times daily and slowly but surely my infection deceased. like I said, I'll always have sinus issues for life but this tool works well with a good antihistamine like zyrtec when you feel your sinus is about to turn over on you.

Cool.
I think using this thing consistently over a period of time is part of the key to its success.

You're right:
1.) It's not a cure all.
2.) It takes more than one use to fully benefit.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »
I think neil med is better, it should be right next to the neti pot, check it out. I like it more because its pressurized( you squeeze the bottle) so you can do it faster and dont have to get in awkard positions etc... it just seems easier to . Either way good nutrition topic monty ::) ;D :D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »
I think neil med is better, it should be right next to the neti pot, check it out. I like it more because its pressurized( you squeeze the bottle) so you can do it faster and dont have to get in awkard positions etc... it just seems easier to . Either way good nutrition topic monty ::) ;D :D

That sounds like it could be dangerous if used incorrectly  ???
:

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 01:25:50 AM »
I use SinuCleanse

That's the one i use as well, very easy to use and very effective.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »
Either way good nutrition topic monty ::) ;D :D

Nasal irrigation?

I save little gems like that for when things are slow on the Nutrition Board.
 ;)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 09:12:36 PM »
That sounds like it could be dangerous if used incorrectly  ???

nah its just like a water bottle that you squeeze to pressurize to get the water to go up your nose so you dont  have to tilt your head. You would have to squeeze insanely hard to get it to come out too fast.

My computer is bugging right now and i cant save anything, just type in neil-med sinus rinse you should be able to see what i talking about.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 07:19:16 PM »

My Heavens,...having your deviated septum fixed such a worthwhile thing to have done...I had mine fixed along with having my tonsils out,...turned off my respiratory infections like a switch.  I haven't had the flu once in the ten years since I had it done.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 07:31:05 PM »
Thanks.
My GF swears I have one.
She once did, and knows that I exhibit some of the signs.

I'll very likely have it looked at over the next few months in order to have it properly diagnosed.

This, however, is not a favorable time of year to pay someone to bust my nose.
 :)