Author Topic: Sarah Palin is on the rise while Obama is "Old News"  (Read 2480 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Sarah Palin is on the rise while Obama is "Old News"
« on: December 13, 2009, 07:16:21 AM »
December 13, 2009
Palin on the Rise; Obama is Old News
By Jack Kelly

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm sure a 6-year-old with a crayon could do something not unlike that," snarked White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs Tuesday.

The object of Mr. Gibbs' scorn was Gallup's tracking poll for the day before, which showed only 47 percent of respondents approve of the job President Barack Obama is doing, with 46 percent disapproving.

Receive news alerts

Jack Kelly RealClearPolitics
Barack Obama Sarah Palin

Perhaps Mr. Gibbs' skin was thin because this was the lowest ranking for a president at this point in his presidency since Gallup began conducting presidential approval polls in 1938.

Meanwhile, a CNN/Opinion Research Poll also released Monday indicated 46 percent of respondents have a favorable impression of Sarah Palin, while 46 percent have an unfavorable one.

The polls were not quite the same. Gallup asked people what they thought of the job Mr. Obama was doing, not whether or not they liked him.

Even with that caveat, though, the convergence between Mr. Obama and Ms. Palin is remarkable. There is no statistical difference between the one and the other.

This represents a substantial gain in public esteem for Ms. Palin since she resigned as governor of Alaska in July, and a substantial decline for Mr. Obama over the same period.

Sarah Palin's been on a roll since the publication of her autobiography last month. "Going Rogue" is already the second-biggest seller among nonfiction books in history (only Bill Clinton's 2004 autobiography, "My Life," sold more copies in the first month), and could be No. 1 before the end of her book tour, since her sales seem to be holding up better than his did.

The book tour itself is a cultural phenomenon. At each stop hundreds, often thousands, of people have waited hours, sometimes days, to meet her.

Could Barack Obama -- who now seems so last year -- inspire that kind of devotion today?

The turnabout in fortunes is all the more remarkable because no political figure in recent history has been subject to such vilification from our news media as Sarah Palin. No malicious rumor was too preposterous to report. No accomplishment was important enough to mention.

Meanwhile, no presidential candidate or president has received more favorable press coverage than Barack Obama.

"President Barack Obama has enjoyed substantially more positive media coverage than either Bill Clinton or George W. Bush during their first months in the White House," concluded a Pew Research study last May. Forty-two percent of stories in major newspapers and television news programs about Mr. Obama were favorable, compared to 22 percent for Mr. Bush and 27 percent for Mr. Clinton.

"The press just acted like this guy walked on water," Washington Post media critic Howard Kurtz said during the campaign.

That's changing, in both directions.

Sarah Palin interrupted her book tour to speak at the Gridiron Club, the biggest social event of the year for Washington journalists.

"The very fact she was willing to take the chance of appearing in a room full of her most disdainful critics is testimony to her courage," wrote Dan Thomasson of Scripps Howard. "She came away with at least a consensus of grudging admiration."

"Her appearance produced the extraordinary scene of inside-the-Beltway cynics and their significant others asking for autographs," Mr. Thomasson noted.

"Palin won the evening," conceded columnist Clarence Page.

"As much as her politics are not mine, after chatting with her and her husband, good-natured 'First Dude' Todd Palin, I came away with a new fondness and respect for both of them," Mr. Page wrote.

"Going Rogue" received savage reviews from most liberals, like that from Ana Marie Cox in The Washington Post, who acknowledged she hadn't actually read the book.

Those who did have a different opinion. Stanley Fish, writing for The New York Times, described it as "compelling and very well done."

The reaction of liberals to Sarah Palin -- which is like that of vampires to garlic -- indicate she is the Republican they fear most. With good reason, Mr. Fish thinks.

"Perseverance, the ability to absorb defeat without falling into defeatism, is the key to Palin's character," he wrote. "Her political opponents, especially those who dismissed Ronald Reagan before he was elected, should take note."

________________________ ______________________-

Question:  If Palin were ever president, how many libs would flee the nation?

jimijimi

• Getbig III
Re: Sarah Palin is on the rise while Obama is "Old News"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 07:27:51 AM »
In November Obama had the worst ratings of all Presidents ever.
Most of you here last year thought he was God well look at him now.
How can you run a country when you never even ran a Kool-Aid Stand
He can run his mouth but i wasen't dumb enough to buy his bullshit
like so many others, and that Nancy Polocy or how ever you spell her name
is the biggest WACO of them all. The Left will bring this country down and the Right will Fight for our rights as free citizens the way this country was built.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
In November Obama had the worst ratings of all Presidents ever.
Most of you here last year thought he was God well look at him now.
How can you run a country when you never even ran a Kool-Aid Stand
He can run his mouth but i wasen't dumb enough to buy his bullshit
like so many others, and that Nancy Polocy or how ever you spell her name
is the biggest WACO of them all. The Left will bring this country down and the Right will Fight for our rights as free citizens the way this country was built.

jimijimi

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:46:11 AM »
Hey 3333386 are some here just death, dumb and blind who are still backing this President ? Like you said the problems started way before bush and Obama is making it worse. And you left winger really think health care is going to be free ?
Please nothing is free my friend you will pay in a way that you won't even know what your paying for

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 08:05:47 AM »
Hey 3333386 are some here just death, dumb and blind who are still backing this President ? Like you said the problems started way before bush and Obama is making it worse. And you left winger really think health care is going to be free ?
Please nothing is free my friend you will pay in a way that you won't even know what your paying for

Actually that is a good point regarding the health care bill.  The libs have been usiung slick language on this saying it wont add to the deficit, is deficit neutral, etc.  To the average idiot, like many on this board, that sounds good, but it simply not the entuire story.

The reality is that deficit neutral does not mean free or without cost.  This entire scam is financed by massive cuts in medicare and massive tax hikes. 

Its typical lies coming from the govt to fool people who usually dont know how to parse language. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:08:57 AM »
33, I thought you wanted to focus on issues more important than Alaskan blogger Saran palin?  It is fun to think about where we'd be today, given the fact many people believe Obama and mccain would have done the same things thus far.

By now, Palin would have added an entirely new department to the US Govt.
"I think on a national level your Department of Law there in the White House would look at some of the things that we've been charged with and automatically throw them out." --Sarah Palin, referring to a department that does not exist while attempting to explain why as president she wouldn't be subjected to the same ethics investigations that compelled her to resign as governor of Alaska, ABC News interview, July 7, 2009

Palin may have just up and quit by now.
"It may be tempting and more comfortable to just keep your head down, plod along, and appease those who demand: 'Sit down and shut up,' but that's the worthless, easy path; that's a quitter's way out." --Sarah Palin, announcing her resignation as governor, July 3, 2009

By now, she would have printed her own $
"Who calls a shot like that? Who makes a decision like that? It's a disturbing trend." –Sarah Palin, pushing a conspiracy theory that "In God We Trust" had been moved to the edge of coins because of the Obama administration (the change was made by the Bush administration in 2007 and was later reversed by Congress, before Obama took office),

By now she might even have been a movie star, or talked into trading the state of Hawaii for a ham sandwich by agreeing to something on the phone she couldn't quite understand.
"John McCain and I, we love you and thank you for spending a few minutes to talk to me." --Sarah Palin, talking with Canadian radio prankster posing as French Presideny Nicolas Sarkozy, Nov. 1, 2008 (Read more about the prank call, watch the video and see the transcript)

"Ohh, good, thank you, yes." --Sarah Palin, after the Canadian prank caller complimented her on the documentary about her life, Hustler's "Nailin Paylin," Nov. 1, 2008

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »

Thune was really good on CNN this morning. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 08:17:05 AM »
"Thune was really good on CNN this morning.  "

I haven't watched the news much (I'm all about nfl on sundays) but it is very nice to see him popping up more and more lately. 

True conservatives have to pick a leader.  it's not mitt or rudy for sure - those guys had lib policies as leaders, and can talk about how much they love reagan all they want - their track records were anti-gun and pro-univ healthcare.  They're libs lol...

Huck has the parolee issue, along with general creepiness and weird UN and IRS issues.

Palin is fun to look at, but admits abortion was considered.  Her personal life is one that reeks of outright absentee lib parenting, let's be honest.  She wasn't at church with her kids while they had live-in babydaddys.  And she backed the Lib-ass bank bailout - while more repubs DID NOT in 2008.  So I think while many conservatives like some of her positions, she's not the 100% favorite either.

Thune gets that 100% rating from the conservatives, is good looking, has experience in a lot of areas (including economics and an MBA!!!!), and could knock obama on his ass in a debate.  I'm very excited about this guy in 2012.  if he gets the right VP for foreign policy, and maybe some 3rd party help, he could knock out Obama in the election.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 08:17:58 AM »
only 7 + more years of "old news" to go.

and probably another 10,000 threads by 3333 telling us it's over any moment now

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 08:22:03 AM »
only 7 + more years of "old news" to go.

and probably another 10,000 threads by 3333 telling us it's over any moment now

Ha ha.  You guys just cant resist.,

I'm all in for Thune 2012 so far. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 08:25:58 AM »
Ha ha.  You guys just cant resist.,

I'm all in for Thune 2012 so far. 

can't resist what?

you're the one who posted yet another thread on Palin

would you rather we ignore your threads.

ok - I'll second that

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 08:31:44 AM »
only 3 + more years of "old news" to go.

and probably another 10,000 threads by Blacken & 240 telling us Palin sucks, Palin's a moron, Palin's an idiot, Palin's stupid...

Fixed.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 08:35:09 AM »

Fixed.

nice projection

sensitive much?

did I say any of those things in response to 333 in this thread?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 08:37:17 AM »

Fixed.

No one can deny she has greatly rehabbed her image to most people. 

Straw will hate her even if she became pro-choice and pro-gay marriage. 

That is not her audience. 

But like I said above, I like Thune so far from what I can tell. 

As far as Palin, she is very good at the libs' panties all up in a bunch. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 08:41:45 AM »

you should get your head out of your ass, its still the same nutjobs that think shes great

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 08:43:06 AM »

you should get your head out of your ass, its still the same nutjobs that think shes great

She is tied with Obama now. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 08:44:55 AM »
tied for what, are they playing ping pong

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 08:45:27 AM »
No one can deny she has greatly rehabbed her image to most people

Straw will hate her even if she became pro-choice and pro-gay marriage. 

That is not her audience. 

But like I said above, I like Thune so far from what I can tell. 

As far as Palin, she is very good at the libs' panties all up in a bunch. 

how do you figure she rehabbed her image much less greatly rehabbed it?

do you think that O'Reily interview was part of teh great rehab?

I don't recall making any comments about Palin and abortion or gay marriage

Most of my comments are that she is a liar and a quiter

why not comment on that instead of just making shit up?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 08:47:50 AM »
"No one can deny she has greatly rehabbed her image to most people.  "

Polling data from fox/moffit showed 60% of 2008 voters thought she was unqualified to even be vice president.

have you seen any data to the contrary, since then?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »
how do you figure she rehabbed her image much less greatly rehabbed it?

do you think that O'Reily interview was part of teh great rehab?

I don't recall making any comments about Palin and abortion or gay marriage

Most of my comments are that she is a liar and a quiter

why not comment on that instead of just making shit up?

Straw - is there anything she could do possibly to make you change your mind on her?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »
nice projection

sensitive much?

did I say any of those things in response to 333 in this thread?

Look up Straw Man, the point went over your head.  I didn't say you said any of those things, I was just using your post to make a point.  Need a hug?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 08:57:52 AM »
Straw - is there anything she could do possibly to make you change your mind on her?

I'm not Straw, but I argue with him, so I feel I'm qualified to respond.  

IMO, I think she needs to take on a really tough task and see it through.  I understand that she had reasons for quitting...all quitters do.  But, she really needs to show that she has the metal to hang in there when the going gets tough.

If she were elected to the Presidency or Vice Presidency what would happen?  Oh...things are tough, they're doing this, they're doing that,...well, I guess I'll just walk away.  Sorry 33, that's just not leadership.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »

I'm not Straw, but I argue with him, so I feel I'm qualified to respond.  

IMO, I think she needs to take on a really tough task and see it through.  I understand that she had reasons for quitting...all quitters do.  But, she really needs to show that she has the metal to hang in there when the going gets tough.

If she were elected to the Presidency or Vice Presidency what would happen?  Oh...things are tough, they're doing this, they're doing that,...well, I guess I'll just walk away.  Sorry 33, that's just not leadership.

Good point. 

Personally, I want to see a person in there with an ounce of common sense on most issues.  What I see now is just pure insanity.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 09:03:58 AM »

Look up Straw Man, the point went over your head.  I didn't say you said any of those things, I was just using your post to make a point.  Need a hug?

oh ok - so your point was that other people will post threads showing that Palin is a moron/idiot/stupid

why the redudancy?

isn't being a moron enough

I have a bigger issue with her being a patholigical liar than a moron

I don't think she can help being a moron so it's not fair to keep bringing that up

do you feel better now?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 09:11:07 AM »

sure - there's always that possibility

but let's face it - the cement has dried. 

Palin isn't going to be making any profound changes so the only way that I can imagine I might start liking her is if I were in a car accident and suffered massive head trauma.  From what I've seen of her supporters I would have to become much less intelligent in order for her to start making sense to me.

Here words are like a dog whistle for morons. 

Those among us with normal brain function just don't get it