Author Topic: Another Colossal Mistake by Obama: Banks riskier than ever!  (Read 1958 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Another Colossal Mistake by Obama: Banks riskier than ever!
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:14:15 AM »
Another Colossal Mistake
Henry Blodget|Dec. 14, 2009, 9:04 AM | 1,320 |26
PrintTags: Regulation, Tim Geithner, Wall Street, Treasury
www.businessinsider.com

________________________ ________________________ _

Your government just blew it again.  Big time.

How?

By allowing the biggest zombie banks, Bank of America and Citigroup, to pay back TARP before we dealt with the biggest problem plaguing our financial policy of the past few years: Too Big To Fail.

As long as the banks were on the hook for that TARP money, the government had some ability to dictate reform.  Now it has none.

And in case you missed what is really going on here, the banks that repaid TARP are now getting all the benefits of government help with none of the drawbacks.  They just ditched the bad stuff--namely, pay caps--and kept the good stuff (implicit bond guarantees, subsidized super-low interest rates, no obligation to do anything for anyone).  Obama can jawbone all he wants about "fat cats," but that's all he can do.  Wall Street has him and the rest of Washington right where they want him: By the balls.

Why does this matter?  Because, as Alan Greenspan of all people just observed, taxpayers are still on the hook for everything, and the government now has no bullets left.

If all goes well over the next few years--if the economy continues to recover, if the Fed keeps interest rates low, and if the US continues to be able to borrow at reasonable long-term rates--none of this will matter.  This latest gift to Wall Street will just become a bad memory like all the rest.

If all does not go well, however--if the economy relapses into a double-dip, if the Fed is forced to raise short-term rates to combat inflation, if loan losses exceed expectations--the government (and Wall Street) will have a big problem on its hands.

If the banks get in trouble again, or if it becomes plain as day that they're never going to start lending because their balance sheets are in rotten shape, the government won't be able to do anything.  After watching the appalling bailouts and bonuses of the past year, taxpayers will start a revolution before they allow the government to put hundreds of billions of dollars directly into the pockets of Wall Street again.  If we come to another crisis, therefore--or even if we simply crawl along sideways--this will put the government into a bind.

In a just world, the way out would be to finally make the bank bondholders pay for their stupidity, converting bank debt to equity and correcting the error made last time.  In the heat of another crisis, however, the government will likely be terrified at the thought of rocking the boat and will fight tooth and nail to give bondholders another free pass.  If this proves politically impossible, the government might actually have to let some firms fail, or risk being run out of town.  And because we have yet to create a system in which banks CAN fail in an orderly manner without taking the whole economy down, this could put us on a path to Japan (zombie banks) or another Lehman-like disaster.

What should the government have done while it still had some leverage?

Raise capital requirements, forcing the banks to use their tremendous profits to build big cushions against future problems instead of paying huge bonuses.  Given the forced bailouts of last year, why on earth should banks be allowed to pay out normal compensation ratios for the next few years?  Why shouldn't they be forced to keep this money on hand for a rainy day?

Make every bank build "contingent convertible" bonds into their capital structures, thus creating an automatic bailout mechanism whose cost will be borne by the banks' capital providers instead of the taxpayer.   These bonds, which automatically convert to equity if the banks' capital falls below a certain level, eliminate the need for government intervention.  If the bank runs low on capital, the bond converts, and the bank is automatically recapitalized (and its ownership changes accordingly). 

Instead of implementing these simple fixes, however, the government has given up its last bit of leverage.  It continues to implicitly guarantee all the big banks under Too Big To Fail, but now all it can do to shape their behavior is make disapproving noises about "fat cats" (who, by the way, are doing exactly what any sentient being would do under the circumstances, which is take the free money and use it for the benefit of employees and shareholders).

________________________ ________________________ _____

Obama:   "I deserve a solid B+ and if I get health care, an A"   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Another Colossal Mistake by Obama: Banks riskier than ever!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:28:45 AM »
Hysterical. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »
What?! You have posted multiple times about how bothered you were that the gov't  had "gotten into private business" and how much you thought the reforms being made at GM and the Las Vegas restrictions for the bank executives were politically immoral.

You just post and agree with any article that criticizes Obama, and pretty much ignore the details.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:47:52 AM »
What?! You have posted multiple times about how bothered you were that the gov't  had "gotten into private business" and how much you thought the reforms being made at GM and the Las Vegas restrictions for the bank executives were politically immoral.

You just post and agree with any article that criticizes Obama, and pretty much ignore the details.

No, I said from day one these criminals needed to go bankrupt.  Look at any post.  I never agreed with TARP in the first place. 

Al:  do you even realize how these banks generated the money the pay TARP back in the first place?

They jacked up everyones' CC fees and borrowed money from the Fed at 0% interest and lent it out at a higher rate. 

This whole thing has been a sham from day one and Obama/Bush are cheifly to blame. 

I'm sure you fell hook line and sinker for that charade last night on 60 minutes.   

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »
No, I said from day one these criminals needed to go bankrupt.  Look at any post.  I never agreed with TARP in the first place. 

Al:  do you even realize how these banks generated the money the pay TARP back in the first place?

They jacked up everyones' CC fees and borrowed money from the Fed at 0% interest and lent it out at a higher rate. 

This whole thing has been a sham from day one and Obama/Bush are cheifly to blame. 

I'm sure you fell hook line and sinker for that charade last night on 60 minutes.   

::)
Everyone knew that the point of TARP was to return banks to solvency.  I'm not the one posting and highlighting articles that directly contradict what I've posted -multiple times- in the past.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:54:23 AM »
::)
Everyone knew that the point of TARP was to return banks to solvency.  I'm not the one posting and highlighting articles that directly contradict what I've posted -multiple times- in the past.

Thats not what they did! 

These banks are not solvent.  Mark to market accounting was enacted to mask the lossess.  These banks are still insolvent if you change the accounting to what it was prior to the crash and we are still on the hook.   

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 09:06:37 AM »
Thats not what they did! 

These banks are not solvent.  Mark to market accounting was enacted to mask the lossess.  These banks are still insolvent if you change the accounting to what it was prior to the crash and we are still on the hook.   

I have posted in various real estate threads that mtm was going to be necessary. Assets were OVERvalued so they were artificially depleting balance sheets.

I'm not even necessarily defending the banking industry, but as they have managed to pay back their largest outstanding debt, in the sense that I was describing, they are solvent.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »
LMAO... pissed the banks repaid the $ TOO SOON!

This prevents govt control.

yes, I can betcha, if the banks had taken 10 years to repay the $, and paid it back after spending 10 years under govt mgmt, youd be pissed as hell.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »
hahahahahahahahaa.... priceless thread...  3333, step in some doodoo?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »
hahahahahahahahaa.... priceless thread...  3333, step in some doodoo?

Do you even read anything business related?

These banks borrowed money fron the Fed at 0% and lent it out.  That is on top of TARP.  Do you know who gets to pay back the money loaned from the Fed?   Take a wild guess. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Do you even read anything business related?

These banks borrowed money fron the Fed at 0% and lent it out.  That is on top of TARP.  Do you know who gets to pay back the money loaned from the Fed?   Take a wild guess. 

I only read the funnies.  I thought you knew that about me :D

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »
333, how come you don't direct your rage at PE firms like KKR or hedge funds like Citadel? They're the ones pulling the strings on these banks, as banks like GS exist only to serve the interests of the people on the buy-side of things. Or do you just parrot what you read in the media?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »
333, how come you don't direct your rage at PE firms like KKR or hedge funds like Citadel? They're the ones pulling the strings on these banks, as banks like GS exist only to serve the interests of the people on the buy-side of things. Or do you just parrot what you read in the media?

I have read about all of those, but its hard to get people to read about that stuff. 

BF - did you read about the Goldman news coming out on the AIG bailout and how they fueles the real estate meltdown?  Crazy stuff. 

if it were me, I would have let all these bastards fail. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 10:31:13 AM »
I have read about all of those, but its hard to get people to read about that stuff. 

BF - did you read about the Goldman news coming out on the AIG bailout and how they fueles the real estate meltdown?  Crazy stuff. 

if it were me, I would have let all these bastards fail. 

BF - my dad does fence work in Stamdord/Greenwich CT and has an account that is a Hedge Fund.  I dont remember the name.  Anyway, they hired his company to put it all sorts of security fencing, etc.  Additionally, they just hired a security detail and have guarrds all over the place.  I dont know if they are armed or not. 

He was speaking to one of the workers and said they know if the truth came out about the crap they do, people would burn the place down.   

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 10:35:43 AM »
I read about it and I would have let the banks fail myself. I didn't support the bail out at all. That said, I find it interesting how GS is the focus of all the rage while the PE firms and hedge funds are getting a free pass as usual. The guys on the buy-side from places like KKR have the people at these banks wrapped around their fingers waiting on them hand and foot yet I hardly ever see it mentioned. I mean, it works out for them, the rage is directed at the banks while PE/HFs will avoid any type of regulation again.

BF - my dad does fence work in Stamdord/Greenwich CT and has an account that is a Hedge Fund.  I dont remember the name.  Anyway, they hired his company to put it all sorts of security fencing, etc.  Additionally, they just hired a security detail and have guarrds all over the place.  I dont know if they are armed or not. 

He was speaking to one of the workers and said they know if the truth came out about the crap they do, people would burn the place down.   

I don't doubt it. We've seen what hedge funds are capable of doing over the years. I think their secretive nature is the reason they're being ignored. I only find it interesting because everything a place like GS does is probably in conjunction with the demands of the people at the megafunds like KKR/Citadel/RenTech/etc.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
I read about it and I would have let the banks fail myself. I didn't support the bail out at all. That said, I find it interesting how GS is the focus of all the rage while the PE firms and hedge funds are getting a free pass as usual. The guys on the buy-side from places like KKR have the people at these banks wrapped around their fingers waiting on them hand and foot yet I hardly ever see it mentioned. I mean, it works out for them, the rage is directed at the banks while PE/HFs will avoid any type of regulation again.

I don't doubt it. We've seen what hedge funds are capable of doing over the years. I think their secretive nature is the reason they're being ignored. I only find it interesting because everything a place like GS does is probably in conjunction with the demands of the people at the megafunds like KKR/Citadel/RenTech/etc.

My dad did mention that there is a clowd of secrecy around everything too.  I will try to get the name.  He was telling about this room with computer servers and shit that looked like bank vault with all sorts of security and stuff. 

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 10:46:17 AM »
My dad did mention that there is a clowd of secrecy around everything too.  I will try to get the name.  He was telling about this room with computer servers and shit that looked like bank vault with all sorts of security and stuff.  

I find it pretty cool actually. The hedge fund Citadel has a giant network of servers underneath their office tower in Chicago in a huge room that is earthquake proof, temperature controlled, has it's own generators in case of power outages and all manners of things going on so that they can continue trading through anything.

SAC, which is one of the biggest funds in the world, is in Stamford and I'm sure has similar things going on. Lot of quant funds with huge server systems located in Stamford/Greenwich.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »
I find it pretty cool actually. The hedge fund Citadel has a giant network of servers underneath their office tower in Chicago in a huge room that is earthquake proof, temperature controlled, has it's own generators in case of power outages and all manners of things going on so that they can continue trading through anything.

SAC, which is one of the biggest funds in the world, is in Stamford and I'm sure has similar things going on. Lot of quant funds with huge server systems located in Stamford/Greenwich.

He said the place was run out of a huge White hopuse that makes the WH look small by comparison.  I will try to find out the name for you. 

I actually used to work at UST in Greenwich before it was bought up.  The women up and down Greenwich Ave. looked exactly alike.   They all looked cloned.   ;D 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 01:55:57 PM »
Good article. Banks needs to be regulated further and the government shouldn't have been so fast letting the banks off the hook. It's the tax payers who stepped in and saved the banks. So the banks needs to fundamentally change.
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »
Check this out. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
I'm not following 33.  You were at the forefront saying that the government shouldn't be telling these banks how to pay their people.

Now, you're saying we should hold that money over their heads to effect change as we see fit?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 06:36:22 PM »
I'm not following 33.  You were at the forefront saying that the government shouldn't be telling these banks how to pay their people.

Now, you're saying we should hold that money over their heads to effect change as we see fit?

Skip, I have been doing a ton of reading on this.  These banks are still insolvent due to the change in the accounting rules.  Additionally, we still have foreclosures yet to peak along with the commercial r/e about to explode.  The article is not saying thats its bad that they paid the money back, but more to the poiint that they are doing so before any reform has been put into place and the fact that these banks are bascially in the same shape they are right before the crash.

The too big too fail issue is still there and people are pointing out that we are still on the hook with no mechanism to let these banks have an orderly bkrypty or unwinding.  In essence, we havent done squat as to the core issue, systemic risk. 

If you look at where the money is coming from to pay the money back, its from you and me, not profitbability.  Just look at how these banks have been making money lately and you will see that we are creating a massive new bubble that will make the last one look like nothing. 

I think the author of the article is pointing out that nothing has changed and these banks get to back to business as usual with you and I still on the hook. 

So what did we really accomplish?  We bougth some time, but are creating a bigger later crash since we did not deal with the core issues.  These banks still pose systemic risk and we have done nothing towards that, which is the major complaint.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
Skip - check this out.  This guy usually knows what the hell is going on
________________________ ________________________ ________________________ __

Shadowstats' John Williams: Prepare For The Hyperinflationary Great Depression
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 12/14/2009 14:32 -0500

John Williams, who runs the popular counter government data manipulation site Shadowstats, has thrown down the gauntlet to deflationists, and in an extensive report concludes that the probability of a hyperinflationary episode in America over the next year has reached critical levels. While the debate between deflationists and (hyper)inflationists has been a long and painful one, numerous events set off in motion by the Bernanke Fed (as a direct legacy of the Greenspan multi-decade period of cheap and boundless credit) may have well cast America as the unwilling protagonist in the sequel of the failed monetary policy economic experiment better known as Zimbabwe.

Williams does not mince his words:

The U.S. economic and systemic solvency crises of the last two years are just precursors to a Great Collapse: a hyperinflationary great depression. Such will reflect a complete collapse in the purchasing power of the U.S. dollar, a collapse in the normal stream of U.S. commercial and economic activity, a collapse in the U.S. financial system as we know it, and a likely realignment of the U.S. political environment. The current U.S. financial markets, financial system and economy remain highly unstable and vulnerable to unexpected shocks. The Federal Reserve is dedicated to preventing deflation, to debasing the U.S. dollar. The results of those efforts are being seen in tentative selling pressures against the U.S. currency and in the rallying price of gold.

And even as Bernanke continues existing in a factless vacuum where he sees no asset bubbles, Williams takes aim at the one party almost exclusively responsible for the economic carnage that will soon transpire:

The crises have been generated out of and are centered on the United States financial system, triggered by the collapse of debt excesses actively encouraged by the Greenspan Federal Reserve. Recognizing that the U.S. economy was sagging under the weight of structural changes created by government trade, regulatory and social policies -- policies that limited real consumer income growth -- Mr. Greenspan played along with the political and banking systems. He made policy decisions to steal economic activity from the future, fueling economic growth of the last decade largely through debt expansion.

The Greenspan Fed pushed for ever-greater systemic leverage, including the happy acceptance of new financial products, which included instruments of mis-packaged lending risks, designed for consumption by global entities that openly did not understand the nature of the risks being taken. Complicit in this broad malfeasance was the U.S. government, including both major political parties in successive Administrations and Congresses.

As with consumers, the federal government could not make ends meet while appeasing that portion of the electorate that could be kept docile by ever-expanding government programs and increasing government spending. The solution was ever-expanding federal debt and deficits.

Purportedly, it was Arthur Burns, Fed Chairman under Richard Nixon, who first offered the advice that helped to guide Alan Greenspan and a number of Administrations. The gist of the wisdom imparted was that if you ran into problems, you could ignore the budget deficit and the dollar. Ignoring them did not matter, because doing so would not cost you any votes.

Back in 2005, I raised the issue of a then-inevitable U.S. hyperinflation with an advisor to both the Bush Administration and Fed Chairman Greenspan. I was told simply that "It's too far into the future to worry about."

Indeed, pushing the big problems into the future appears to have been the working strategy for both the Fed and recent Administrations. Yet, the U.S. dollar and the budget deficit do matter, and the future is at hand. The day of ultimate financial reckoning has arrived, and it is playing out.

Looking at the events over the past year demonstrates that Williams is not just being a drama queen.

Effective financial impairments and at least partial nationalizations or orchestrated bailouts/takeovers resulted for institutions such as Bear Stearns, Citigroup, Washington Mutual, AIG, General Motors, Chrysler, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, along with a number of further troubled financial institutions. The Fed moved to provide whatever systemic liquidity would be needed, while the federal government moved to finance corporate bailouts and to introduce significant stimulus spending.

Curiously, though, the Fed and the Treasury let Lehman Brothers fail outright, which triggered a foreseeable run on the system and markedly intensified the systemic solvency crisis in September 2008. Whether someone was trying to play political games, with the public and Congress increasingly raising questions of moral hazard issues, or whether the U.S. financial wizards missed what would happen or simply moved to bring the crisis to a head, remains to be seen.

More on the impending timing of the complete economic collapse of the US financial system:

Before the systemic solvency crisis began to unfold in 2007, the U.S. government already had condemned the U.S. dollar to a hyperinflationary grave by taking on debt and obligations that never could be covered through raising taxes and/or by severely slashing government spending that had become politically untouchable. The U.S. economy also already had entered a severe structural downturn, which helped to trigger the systemic solvency crisis.

The intensifying economic and solvency crises, and the responses to both by the U.S. government and the Federal Reserve in the last two years, have exacerbated the government's solvency issues and moved forward my timing estimation for the hyperinflation to the next five years, from the 2010 to 2018 timing range estimated in the prior report. The U.S. government and Federal Reserve already have committed the system to this course through the easy politics of a bottomless pocketbook, the servicing of big-moneyed special interests, gross mismanagement, and a deliberate and ongoing effort to debase the U.S. currency. Accordingly, risks are particularly high of the hyperinflation crisis breaking within the next year.

What are the alternatives for the US? In a word, none. Presumably this means you should ignore what the axed "experts" from various bailed out sell side research chop shops try to tell you.

The U.S. has no way of avoiding a financial Armageddon. Bankrupt sovereign states most commonly use the currency printing press as a solution to not having enough money to cover obligations. The alternative would be for the U.S. to renege on its existing debt and obligations, a solution for modern sovereign states rarely seen outside of governments overthrown in revolution, and a solution with no happier ending than simply printing the needed money. With the creation of massive amounts of new fiat dollars (not backed by gold or silver) will come the eventual destruction of the value of the U.S. dollar and related dollar-denominated paper assets.

What lies ahead will be extremely difficult, painful and unhappy times for many in the United States. The functioning and adaptation of the U.S. economy and financial markets to a hyperinflation likely would be particularly disruptive. Trouble could range from turmoil in the food distribution chain to electronic cash and credit systems unable to handle rapidly changing circumstances. The situation quickly would devolve from a deepening depression, to an intensifying hyperinflationary great depression.

While the economic difficulties would have global impact, the initial hyperinflation should be largely a U.S. problem, albeit with major implications for the global currency system. For those living in the United States, long-range strategies should look to assure safety and survival, which from a financial standpoint means preserving wealth and assets. Also directly impacted, of course, are those holding or dependent upon U.S. dollars or dollar-denominated assets, and those living in "dollarized" countries.

In other words, the economic cycle will come back with a vengeance. Having pulled America out of the abyss by the last hairs on its Rogaine infused head, the Fed and the Administration have merely purchased one-two years of excess time in which insiders can sell all their holdings (look at recent reports indicating the ratio of insider sellers to buyers) and banks can book one/two years of record bonuses before signing off.

And whether one is a deflationist or inflationist, the take home message from Williams' thesis that everyone should be able to agree on, is what everyone knows yet is unwilling to admit: that the US economy (and its derivative, the undecoupled global economy, which that most certainly includes China) is that we are now caught in the greatest Ponzi bubble of all time. One small hiccup in which there is no incremental hollow value added on the margin courtesy of printing presses pushing fiat pieces of paper in overtime, would lead to precisely the same outcome as the world saw with Bernie Madoff: from $50 billion to 0 overnight. It is somehow fitting that world GDP is 1,000 time greater, at $50 trillion. Take away the fiat illusion, and the real value collapses to those concepts of tangible value that will remain in a post bubble implosion scenario: whether these be spam, gold, or lead.

And just so there is no confusion about the course of events, Williams presents the Zimbabwe hyperinflation episode as the case study that the historian Bernanke should have been focusing on, instead of spending long nights, "learning" from the Great Depression.

Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe, the former Rhodesia, was a quadrillion times worse than it was in Weimar Germany. Zimbabwe went through a number of years of high inflation, with an accelerating hyperinflation from 2006 to 2009, when the currency was abandoned. Through three devaluations, excess zeros repeatedly were lopped off notes as high as 100 trillion Zimbabwe dollars.

The cumulative devaluation of the Zimbabwe dollar was such that a stack of 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (26 zeros) two dollar bills (if they were printed) in the peak hyperinflation would have be needed to equal in value what a single original Zimbabwe two-dollar bill of 1978 had been worth. Such a pile of bills literally would be light years high, stretching from the Earth to the Andromeda Galaxy.

In early-2009, the governor of the Zimbabwe Reserve Bank indicated he felt his actions in printing money were vindicated by the recent actions of the U.S. Federal Reserve. If the U.S. went through a hyperinflation like that of Zimbabwe’s, total U.S. federal debt and obligations (roughly $75 trillion with unfunded liabilities) could be paid off for much less than a current penny.

enable the evWhat helped to olution of the Zimbabwe monetary excesses over the years, while still having something of a functioning economy, was the back-up of a well functioning black market in U.S. dollars. The United States has no such backup system, however, with implications for a more rapid and disruptive hyperinflation than seen in Zimbabwe, when it hits.

Maybe in retrospect it is good that banks are not lending out. If the $1.2 trillion in excess reserves were to actually hit circulating currency overnight, or even in a much more gradual fashion, then hyperinflation would surely be unavoidable, not so much as function of the consumer becoming a dominant force once again, which is the deflationists' key point, but as a result of the excess liquidity of the capital markets, which is the only reason why the S&P is where it is, into Main Street. As it stands, banks' unwillingness to recreate the cheap credit bubble by lending to anyone who has a pulse and can walk is the only thing that is so far preventing America's name change to the United States of Zimbabwe.

________________________ ________________________ ____--

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 07:01:50 PM »
OK, so were still in the same boat, but at least the money is being paid back.  Now the government can, hopefully, focus it's efforts on preventing this hyperinflation.

Look, I wouldn't have given these banks a penny.  Nobody's going to bail me out if I don't make my mortgage payment, but those banks will thrash me and take everything I own.  As far as I'm concerned, it's just another fuck-up by the politicians.  But, since they did take the money, I see no harm in getting it back.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 07:10:09 PM »
OK, so were still in the same boat, but at least the money is being paid back.  Now the government can, hopefully, focus it's efforts on preventing this hyperinflation.

Look, I wouldn't have given these banks a penny.  Nobody's going to bail me out if I don't make my mortgage payment, but those banks will thrash me and take everything I own.  As far as I'm concerned, it's just another fuck-up by the politicians.  But, since they did take the money, I see no harm in getting it back.

My biggest fear is the scenario posed above by the giuy from Shadowstats.  The NYT had a piece a few weeks ago, which I posted, that was frightening as to our true finances with these banks and the looming crisis.  I will bump it if I can find it.