Author Topic: Bodybuilding Hall of Shame Vol. 1 "The Supplement Years"  (Read 47769 times)

younggunz

• Getbig II
Re: Bodybuilding Hall of Shame Vol. 1 "The Supplement Years"
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Brutal Mass Stack. by frozen ::) ,   Muscle tech in general, they hav a new supp out every other week,

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
What supps do you guys take now, for real?  I don't even bother with protein powder anymore, just have a big glass of milk and a sandwich shortly after working out.  This decision is probably costing my upwards of 0.11 kg of muscle mass per year but whatever.

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »
the supplement business is a big scam.

most supplements make no difference for bodybuilding purposes and/or are overrpriced junk that is just a waste of money. food should always be the base. and please dont eat food you dont like, there is absolutely no reason to force feed yourself with food you dont like. dont be one of those people who live on plain and dry chicken breast.

creatin  ok(regular creatine monohydrat..dont waste money on more so called 'advanced creatine'), multis ok, protein powder..ok if your lazy and it can be convenient, BCAA or EAA. maybe ok, .probably a waste of money as long as you get your daily macros (jury is still out on if EAA use really translates to any noticable real world results as long as you get enough protein overall). maybe extra useful when dieting.  carboydrate powders? = garbage unless you are an endurance athlete and/or lift more than once per day...basically just sugar..empty calories, better to eat something more filling and nutritious .  fish oil, ok.

focus on getting enough protein, carbs, and fat from regular food.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2009, 03:18:54 PM »
Thanks for the thread summary!

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
the supplement business is a big scam.

most supplements make no difference for bodybuilding purposes and/or are overrpriced junk that is just a waste of money. food should always be the base. and please dont eat food you dont like, there is absolutely no reason to force feed yourself with food you dont like. dont be one of those people who live on plain and dry chicken breast.

creatin  ok(regular creatine monohydrat..dont waste money on more so called 'advanced creatine'), multis ok, protein powder..ok if your lazy and it can be convenient, BCAA or EAA. maybe ok, .probably a waste of money as long as you get your daily macros (jury is still out on if EAA use really translates to any noticable real world results as long as you get enough protein overall). maybe extra useful when dieting.  carboydrate powders? = garbage unless you are an endurance athlete and/or lift more than once per day...basically just sugar..empty calories, better to eat something more filling and nutritious .  fish oil, ok.

focus on getting enough protein, carbs, and fat from regular food.

are you saying that bodybuilders who pitch the sale of supplements are bigger scam artists and lowlifes than tv evangelists?

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2009, 03:35:14 PM »
are you saying that bodybuilders who pitch the sale of supplements are bigger scam artists and lowlifes than tv evangelists?

the whole pro bodybuilding circus is financed with money from outright scamming. just look at the bodybuilding magazines...full of bullshit ads and with alot of bs info, , you can get better info online for zero dollars. bodybuilders i dont blame them really. problem is that the market isnt regulated, blame the big guys not the pros.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »
What supps do you guys take now, for real?  I don't even bother with protein powder anymore, just have a big glass of milk and a sandwich shortly after working out.  This decision is probably costing my upwards of 0.11 kg of muscle mass per year but whatever.

Milk contains only 4-5% protein.
The only reason that I choose powders is that they are the most compact protein sources. Eating +1kg of chicken/meat a day isn't an option for me, so I combine powders with solid foods.

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »
Milk contains only 4-5% protein.
The only reason that I choose for powders is that they are the most compact protein sources. Eating +1kg of chicken/meat a day isn't a option for me, so I combine powders with solid foods.

it doesnt matter in the context you quoted. ( a glass of milk+sandwich as a post workout meal....which happens to be an excellent post workout meal)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
it doesnt matter in the context you quoted. ( a glass of milk+sandwich as a post workout meal....which happens to be an excellent post workout meal)

Problem with milk is that not everyone can digest it (lack of the enzyme lactate to break down lactose), you need at least a liter for enough protein (OK, how much you need after training is debatable) and that it contains a slow acting protein (casein) which is more suitable as a last meal of the day. Some whey protein would be more efficient.
Don't see me as a typical supplement guy, I try to use them smart.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2009, 04:20:33 PM »
Another scam supplement I remember from back in the day is CHROMIUM...didn't do shit...and another one that i still see today is CARNITINE..and I remember buying small bottles of SMILAX for $35.00 a bottle...wow was I taken to the cleaners...the owner of the store would pump me up to buy it..I guess he was in on the scam as well...when he would see me with it he would comment to me.."boy I guess you are going to sleep with two women tonight"..this would make me believe that this shit actually worked and it would boost my test levels....boy was I taken for a ride.

embarassing

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »
Problem with milk is that not everyone can digest it (lack of the enzyme lactate to break down lactose), you need at least a liter for enough protein (OK, how much you need after training is debatable) and that it contains a slow acting protein (casein) which is more suitable as a last meal of the day. Some whey protein would be more efficient.
Don't see me as a typical supplement guy, I try to use them smart.

yes, milk can cause problems for some people but milk has taken alot of crap from people who dont know what they are talking about (not refering to you  ;) ). milk is a good source of protein and is high quality food.

after training 20-25g of protein is plenty straight after to do its magic. so one or two glasses of milk + sandwich is enough after workout. (specially if you eat another meal later..which is a good idea)

milk contains mostly casein..but also 20% whey. not that i think it matters much at all, as most important thing is that you get enough protein and calories at the end of the day.

people obsess about alot of unecessary details. but sure if you have a hard time (often due to poor food choice in my opinion) to get enough protein from regular food then yeah protein powder can be useful.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »
Back in 1999, I was about to graduate college. I had a jug of pure creatine, I was going to sell it, so to make it seem like it was a full jug, I put sugar in it...afew yrs later Muscletech comes up with Celltech...which was basically sugar (Dextrose) with Creatine. They should pay me for that bright idea! >:(

You are the Father of the Insulin Spike - your brilliant idea helped supplement companies put tons and tons of muscle on bodybuilders world wide. You should be gettin' paid mad money, yo!
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
..and I remember buying small bottles of SMILAX for $35.00 a bottle...wow was I taken to the cleaners...the owner of the store would pump me up to buy it..I guess he was in on the scam as well...when he would see me with it he would comment to me.."boy I guess you are going to sleep with two women tonight"..this would make me believe that this shit actually worked and it would boost my test levels....boy was I taken for a ride.

embarassing

Sounds like the supp store owner was a pretty shrewd businessman.  ;D
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »
I don't know how Biotest managed to stay in business after Patterson and Louma showed the world what they really looked like. It was obvious at that point that the claims of the supps making them huge and ripped were shown to have been blatant bs.
A

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2009, 06:52:07 AM »
What supps do you guys take now, for real?  I don't even bother with protein powder anymore, just have a big glass of milk and a sandwich shortly after working out.  This decision is probably costing my upwards of 0.11 kg of muscle mass per year but whatever.

I don't take nothing either, never have. Of course it might cost you, but what isn't? Lack of sleep, walking up the stairs, non optimal training...there will be always variables that aren't just perfect, and I think nutrition is the least of your worries if you eat sensibly.

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »

Hall of Shame Entry #5: Chromium Picolinate

While one of the less offensive entries to this series... (Chromium is fairly cheap), it deserves a mention nonetheless. About 15-16 years ago I remember in some quarters of the Bodybuilding community they were preaching this supp as the next great revolution in the industry. Of course all the hype was for naught, as it did absolutly nothing for anyone....

As it turns out, small quantities of chromium are needed for glucose utilization by insulin in normal health, but deficiency is extremely rare and has only been observed in hospital patients on long-term defined diets.

Chromium =Fail.

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2009, 09:36:52 AM »
HMB increases intra-muscular fat.  its given to cattle to increase the marbling in steaks.  it 'works', but it's not necessarily something that a bodybuilder would want.

(Taken From Wikipedia)

β-Hydroxy β-methylbutyric acid (HMB), or β-hydroxy β-methylbutyrate, is a metabolite of the essential amino acid leucine and is synthesized in the human body. It plays a part in protein synthesis and was discovered by Dr. Steven L. Nissen at Iowa State University. It has been used in scientific studies to purportedly increase muscle mass and decrease muscle breakdown. However, Nissen held the original patent on the metabolite as a nutritional supplement. It was discovered in pigs and small quantities can also be found in grapefruit, alfalfa, and catfish. As a supplement it is usually sold as a calcium salt.[2]

Research published in the Journal of Applied Physiology has shown that HMB may have an effect on increasing muscle weight and strength.[3] A review in Nutrition & Metabolism provides an in depth and objective analysis of HMB research. [4] The same study lists as HMBs proposed mechanisms of action the following:

Increased sarcolemmal integrity via conversion to HMG-CoA
Enhanced protein synthesis via the mTOR pathway
Depression of protein degradation through inhibition of the ubiquitin pathway
Three grams of HMB per day may help muscles combat protein breakdown, assist in muscle repair and support increased endurance. Studies suggest its benefits may be greater for the untrained. Also, well-controlled scientific studies have found increases in muscle mass and decreases in body fat in 70 year old men. It has helped patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in hospital intensive care units, muscle wasting associated with HIV or AIDS and with cancer, and trauma victims with severe injuries.[citation needed]

The human body produces about 0.2-0.4 grams per day. Standard doses in research studies have been 1.5 to 3.0 grams per day, usually divided into two doses.

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2009, 09:44:33 AM »
AND both supps were shite and absolute garbage. >:(

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2009, 09:52:26 AM »

Ahh yes... Vanandal Sulfate was crap... Supposedly it helped increase vascularity... I never saw, or heard anything good about it.

Didn't Dave Fisher try pimping that for a long time?

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »
Ahh yes... Vanandal Sulfate was crap... Supposedly it helped increase vascularity... I never saw, or heard anything good about it.

Didn't Dave Fisher try pimping that for a long time?
The old SportsPharma.  I used that when I was clean at 20 and that shit worked.  It had something.  The old Phosphagen was great too.  It was around 96

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
End of motherfucking thread

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2009, 11:39:04 AM »

Did you ever try that? I never met anyone that did, but I remember years of seeing it plasterd in magazine ad's.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »

Haha best labeling ever!

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2009, 11:44:52 AM »
Did you ever try that? I never met anyone that did, but I remember years of seeing it plasterd in magazine ad's.

If i tell you a know a friend that had a friend who used it, would you still belive it  was me ?

and yes that was expensive garbage !

WOOOOSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!