Author Topic: Arnold owning the competition at the 1980 Olympia - check it out!  (Read 40859 times)

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
Re: Arnold owning the competition at the 1980 Olympia - check it out!
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 01:24:54 AM »
yes, Arnold won in life... By selling his soul to the devil. He made his own succes at the expense of other people, something Mike was famous for not doing. He was succesful because he stabbed people in the back without any remorse and without any shame or regret.

At the 1980 O, Arnold was a three dressed up as a nine because of all the hype and fixes, his reputation and his relationship with the Weiders.

And for all that bullcrap about Mike acting like a sore loser, have you guys ever heard of justice? That night there didn't seem to be any justice and fairness at all! What do you expect from the guy, that he's gonna keep his mouth shut and admit Arnold was the greatest when he really didn't come close to being the greatest?

Mike made all the sacrifices in the world and was in the BEST shape of his life. He was in better shape than in the contests where he won with PERFECT scores! And then all of a sudden a cocky fella like Arnold comes walking by, been training six weeks and has almost no lower body development at all, looks like crap and even wins that contest! Now suddenly the guy with perfect scores becomes 5th ::)

I'm so proud of Mike because of the way he left the competition. He may have died, because of a lot of problems and a lot of emotions and sadness was involved, but he was more HUMAN than Arnold will ever be. Mike regained his soul a long time ago while Arnold had already sold his soul.

brianX

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2005, 01:46:07 AM »
yes, Arnold won in life... By selling his soul to the devil. He made his own succes at the expense of other people, something Mike was famous for not doing. He was succesful because he stabbed people in the back without any remorse and without any shame or regret.

At the 1980 O, Arnold was a three dressed up as a nine because of all the hype and fixes, his reputation and his relationship with the Weiders.

And for all that bullcrap about Mike acting like a sore loser, have you guys ever heard of justice? That night there didn't seem to be any justice and fairness at all! What do you expect from the guy, that he's gonna keep his mouth shut and admit Arnold was the greatest when he really didn't come close to being the greatest?

Mike made all the sacrifices in the world and was in the BEST shape of his life. He was in better shape than in the contests where he won with PERFECT scores! And then all of a sudden a cocky fella like Arnold comes walking by, been training six weeks and has almost no lower body development at all, looks like crap and even wins that contest! Now suddenly the guy with perfect scores becomes 5th ::)

I'm so proud of Mike because of the way he left the competition. He may have died, because of a lot of problems and a lot of emotions and sadness was involved, but he was more HUMAN than Arnold will ever be. Mike regained his soul a long time ago while Arnold had already sold his soul.

Cry me a river.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2005, 01:49:35 AM »

Mikes best doesn't make him "the" best! I think this is widely missunderstood, he looked small next to Arnold and he had his fair share of weaknesses such as thin chest and thick midsection.
Don't look at it so deeply, if you read back you'll see Mike had already publicly dissrespected Arnold and Arnold decided to teach him a lesson.
On the day Arnold phsyched out Mentzer like a boxer would like to do to his opponent and in the end 4 people placed ahead of Mentzer anyway, no Arnold and he would have been 4th.

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2005, 02:04:43 AM »
that's were you're wrong. The situation ain't that simple as you make it out to be.
I understand what you are trying to say there, but as far as I know there are a lot of rumours going on how Arnold said he was gonna teach everybody a lesson. Yes I would say something like that too if I knew I was going to win a fixed contest.

Mike NEVER disrespected Arnold. Fact is Weider didn't like it one bit that Mentzer was becoming THE ICON at that time. Because Mentzer did everything his own way, Mentzer Style. And not Weider's way. Weider saw Mentzer as a thread because Mentzer on his own was becoming bigger than the whole Weider foundation. They had to take him out, and they did it that night. While Weider and Arnold fooled everyone in the world by saying: you have to train 7 days a week and 2/4 hours a day, and you have to take this, this and this supplement, Mentzer told the truth and told everybody that was BS. I don't call that disrespecting, I call that telling the truth.

I can go on and discuss further about it but I can see that you guys have already made your own simple stories about the whole situation and stick to it. That's fine with me.

just stay ignorant and you will be fine

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2005, 02:09:33 AM »
Mentzer was in a completely different class

His posing routine on it's own should have made him the winner, that's a legendary routine in my book.

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2005, 02:17:37 AM »

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2005, 02:34:52 AM »

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2005, 02:36:09 AM »

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2005, 02:37:09 AM »

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2005, 02:51:02 AM »
This is how Mike recalls that fateful day. "There were maybe 50 people at the competitors meeting and, as usual, Arnold wanted to be the center of attention. In every situation, he tries to be the standout, and on this occasion, he was the only athlete of the 16 in the contest who wanted to keep the two weight classes.

"He said something to denigrate Samir Bannout that I thought was uncalled for. I passed on that, feeling Samir should have defended himself. As the debate progressed, there was a lot of arguing between Arnold and some of the guys. I wasn't really concerned one way or the other - I thought I could win anyway. Then Boyer Coe stood up and, as the gentleman he is, said, 'Why don't we let Arnold explain to us right here and now his exact reasons for wanting to have two weight classes?'

"Arnold barked, 'Boyer, let's talk like adults here.' That really irked me, because Boyer made his plea with no hint of malice. In addition, this was the IFBB's event, but here was this big Prussian son of a b***h standing there and trying to walk all over us. I interjected and asked Arnold why he was so reluctant to see the open class introduced.

"For some reason, that question pissed him off. He seemed like a guy out of control as he turned to face me, his upper lip curled around like a snarling animal. We were debating the issue of weight classes, but Arnold chose to snap at me, 'Mike Mentzer, we all know Zane beat you last year because you have a big stomach!'

"I was seated 20 feet away from Arnold, who was standing holding court, and I perhaps allowed that comment to irritate me too much, as on impulse, I bolted toward him. As I approached him, I decided I wouldn't hit him, but nevertheless I was surprised when Arnold sat down: I scared him! He sat as I continued to berate him. Wagging my finger at him, I told him, 'Look, Arnold, Boyer Coe said what he did as a gentleman - he didn't deserve that response. You're the one who's acting like a baby, literally! Arnold couldn't look me in the eye. He went from being a frantic hysterical adolescent to shrinking away like an injured child."

Not for the first time in the history of bodybuilding, Joe Weider stepped in and defused the situation. He advised Arnold to accept the voices of the other 15. The debate ended as Arnold proclaimed, "I withdraw my objection."

DECISION DOWN UNDER "Throughout that meeting, Arnold had on a tight-knit sweater that made him look skinny. I was curious to see what he looked like once he stripped down. When he did, I remember looking at him and thinking, Not only am I going to win this contest, but I'm going to beat Arnold Schwarzenegger as well!

"When I was called fifth, I was totally shocked. It was just a ridiculous placing, made more ridiculous by an out-of-shape Arnold winning. As for the others who finished ahead of me, I knew Frank Zane [third], due to an accident he had sustained four months earlier, wasn't as good as he had been the previous year. I must say that Chris Dickerson [second] and Boyer Coe [fourth] were in phenomenal shape, particularly Chris. I felt he and I were the ones in absolute peak condition, and we should have been the top two.

"The majority of observers at the 1980 Mr. Olympia, with the exception of the judging panel, didn't have Arnold in the top five. The crowd booed Arnold at the contest's conclusion, and there were a number of things that took place during the prejudging that perhaps should have provided an indication that all was not as it should have been.

"Several of the judges were close friends of Arnold. Boyer Coe told me afterwards that he saw Reg Park, one of the judges, actually coaching Arnold from the officials' table. In contrast, Bill Pearl had honorably removed himself from the judging panel, as he had spent time training with Chris Dickerson.

"At times, the contest was like a circus. We had Franco Columbu - one of Arnold's weak-willed nambypamby lackeys - coming onstage with a towel, a comb and oil, to go through a little act with Arnold at the expense of everybody else. I could quote other anomalies, but possibly the most pertinent is that CBS Sports flew halfway around the world to tape the event and then never televised it. The word was that they were convinced it was a fix.

"The record may show Arnold Schwarzenegger as the 1980 Mr. Olympia champion, but he wasn't the best bodybuilder onstage that day - not by a mile."

In the immediate aftermath of the contest, several top names stated they would never compete again. They would later reverse their decisions and return to the contest dais. But even as he was announced fifth, Mike knew he would never compete again: "There was no way I was going to put myself through the same torturous process again for a similar reward. At no point since 1980 have I been even slightly tempted to consider the possibility of competing. I don't miss it."

Of all of its repercussions, it is difficult not to nominate Mike's premature retirement at 29 as being the major consequence of the 1980 Mr. Olympia contest. It effectively denied the sport a view of the physique he could have built in future years.

http://ironage.us/guest_edit/mcgough.html

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2005, 04:42:30 AM »
that's were you're wrong. The situation ain't that simple as you make it out to be.
I understand what you are trying to say there, but as far as I know there are a lot of rumours going on how Arnold said he was gonna teach everybody a lesson. Yes I would say something like that too if I knew I was going to win a fixed contest.

Mike NEVER disrespected Arnold. Fact is Weider didn't like it one bit that Mentzer was becoming THE ICON at that time. Because Mentzer did everything his own way, Mentzer Style. And not Weider's way. Weider saw Mentzer as a thread because Mentzer on his own was becoming bigger than the whole Weider foundation. They had to take him out, and they did it that night. While Weider and Arnold fooled everyone in the world by saying: you have to train 7 days a week and 2/4 hours a day, and you have to take this, this and this supplement, Mentzer told the truth and told everybody that was BS. I don't call that disrespecting, I call that telling the truth.

I can go on and discuss further about it but I can see that you guys have already made your own simple stories about the whole situation and stick to it. That's fine with me.

just stay ignorant and you will be fine

There is an article where it states how Mike bashed Arnold publicly.
The whole thing of Arnold upsetting everyone was part of his game plan, physching them out and getting under their skin, he was famous for doing this.
Mike took it all to heart but don't worry they patched up their differences years after when Arnold got in touch with him.
When Ray was ill Mentzer said Arnold even offered to pay his medical expenses or something along those lines. Mike also went on to say that Arnold is the greatest bodybuilder ever.

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2005, 04:54:14 AM »
There is an article where it states how Mike bashed Arnold publicly.
The whole thing of Arnold upsetting everyone was part of his game plan, physching them out and getting under their skin, he was famous for doing this.
Mike took it all to heart but don't worry they patched up their differences years after when Arnold got in touch with him.
When Ray was ill Mentzer said Arnold even offered to pay his medical expenses or something along those lines. Mike also went on to say that Arnold is the greatest bodybuilder ever.
yes, I know that storie. They even hugged each other as friends. I never denied Arnold has changed. Yes he is a good guy now. But in those days he was a real son of a bitch, there is no question about that. And Mentzer indeed did refer to Arnold as the "greatest Olympian of them all" in his last book. (high intensity training the Mike Mentzer way)

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2005, 05:01:35 AM »
Arnold owns nothing, and he knew it. You can see clearly in this pic that Arnold didn't DARE to look in the eyes of Mentzer.

By the way, this topic is just plain stupid. EVERYBODY in the bodybuilding world who were actually THERE all claim Mentzer should have won and Arnold shouldn't be 1st, nor should he be 8th but even BEHIND Tom Platz. And now all of a sudden all of you assclowns who maybe weren't even born at the time try to fool everybody by showing a couple of pics which indeed prove that Arnold was the "tall" man that night and making stupid statements why he dwarfed everybody and all that BS. Let me tell you something, taller and bigger doesn't necessarily mean "better". When are you assclowns going to understand that. It's because of you dumb people that bodybuilding is what it is today. The only thing you care about is ridiculous size and clowns like this guy right here in the second pic:

::) the thread title is fucking ridiculous. Arnie won cause it was fixed...and NO Mentzer should not have won, I believe it was Roy Callender who took second. You can debate and show the favorable Arnie shots you want all you want but that show was bullshit!

airrick

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Treat others the way you want to be treated.
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 11:43:26 PM »

Mike died cuz he felt sorry for himself and that is pathetic!  he couldn't handle life after Mr. O, so he killed himself... what a waste??!!!  cuz just he lost, he quits? what a moron??

How could you be proud of someone taking his own life away?  the gift of life is precious as is!

dodster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2005, 06:43:18 AM »
so arnie psyched this loser out. Mentzer lost it. He should have watched pumping iron and learnt his place, as arnold's man bitch. When bitches go crazy, they have to be put down. Arnold: " even if they are in better shape, i will spend one night before the contest and they will never win. " all this bullshit about arnold not being a nice guy, please , this isnt fucking kindergarten, competition is competition. who gives a shit if arnold wasnt in "his best shape" fact is arnolds worst shape is better than "Mentzers best shape " by miles.

mentzer could never look like the best:

ANAL DISCHARGE

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2005, 08:55:14 AM »
Arnold beats Mentzer everytime.  No contest.

airrick

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Treat others the way you want to be treated.
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2005, 09:41:26 AM »
so arnie psyched this loser out. Mentzer lost it. He should have watched pumping iron and learnt his place, as arnold's man b***h. When b***hes go crazy, they have to be put down. Arnold: " even if they are in better shape, i will spend one night before the contest and they will never win. " all this bullshit about arnold not being a nice guy, please , this isnt f**king kindergarten, competition is competition. who gives a shit if arnold wasnt in "his best shape" fact is arnolds worst shape is better than "Mentzers best shape " by miles.

mentzer could never look like the best:

F*CKING WELL PUT!!! I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!!

619Rules

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2005, 11:04:20 AM »
F*CKING WELL PUT!!! I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!!
I think Mike psyched Arnie out by threatening to beat the shit out of him.......in fact when Mike got ready to beat Arnie's ass Arnie got real smart and sat down and shut his flapper el fasto! Arnie was psyched out by Mike at this point-no doubt about it. Mike got to Arnie.

What allowed Arnie to win was the fact that all the judges were close friends of his and in Arnie's pocket, and gave him the show-end of story.

I mean if it was a legitimate win, Arnie would NOT have been booed off the stage and called Maria a bitch and broke his trophy, come on, Arnie is the most popular BBer of all time-why would that happen if it was a clean show?

Why did the same thing happen the following year when Arnie fixed the O for Franco-payback for helping Arnie win the 1980 O.

I can't believe you brown nosers think it was an up and up show. The 1980 Mr. O is the ONLY Mr. O that ever gets this type of debate-name one other Mr. O where people have a bitchfest like this on a weekly basis and the show was 25 years ago...... ;D

dodster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2005, 11:16:58 AM »
I think Mike psyched Arnie out by threatening to beat the shit out of him.......in fact when Mike got ready to beat Arnie's ass Arnie got real smart and sat down and shut his flapper el fasto! Arnie was psyched out by Mike at this point-no doubt about it. Mike got to Arnie.

What allowed Arnie to win was the fact that all the judges were close friends of his and in Arnie's pocket, and gave him the show-end of story.

I mean if it was a legitimate win, Arnie would NOT have been booed off the stage and called Maria a b***h and broke his trophy, come on, Arnie is the most popular BBer of all time-why would that happen if it was a clean show?

Why did the same thing happen the following year when Arnie fixed the O for Franco-payback for helping Arnie win the 1980 O.

I can't believe you brown nosers think it was an up and up show. The 1980 Mr. O is the ONLY Mr. O that ever gets this type of debate-name one other Mr. O where people have a b***hfest like this on a weekly basis and the show was 25 years ago...... ;D

its cos pricks that worship mentzer's incestuous gay ass still need to hold on to something, cos theyll neva be able to hold on to his cock now hes 6 feet under. u know the sort who wank then pose topless with their fav pros, or Brett the gay. the fact that some ppl think that arnie should have won means that it was a deserved win.

mentzer felt pretty good about shutting up arnold? the guy is a loser, just because arnold didnt react to his threats doesnt mean arnold wasnt in control...

619Rules

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2005, 01:35:08 PM »

mentzer felt pretty good about shutting up arnold? the guy is a loser, just because arnold didnt react to his threats doesnt mean arnold wasnt in control...

I just knew that post was going to get someones panties all knotted up..... :-[

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2005, 04:06:19 PM »
Nah, just another stupid excuse by Arnold to get away with the whole thing. I've seen a clip, which was posted on bodybuildingdungeon.com. This clip was made right before he entered the 1980 Mr. Olympia. It's a stupid commercial where he is comparing alcohol to amino acids or something like that. Shamelessly he drinks the alcohol and acts like the alcohol gives him a good pump just like an amino acid. He's drinking Jack Daniels if I'm not mistaking. In that clip he looks exactly the same as in the contest.

I just found the link by the way; http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Arnold-Jim-Beam
Um, sly... he was JOKING.

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2005, 04:09:11 PM »
Bottom line Mike may be dead and may have mental issues, but in that contest on that day in 1980 EVERYONE knows in their heart of hearts knows Arnold lost and Mike was the better man by far. It is so sad how so many lick arnolds ass.

Arnold has acheived so much off the backs of so many and had the luxury of having Joe weider help him all the time, not to mention Arnold competed against so few competitiors unlike Ronnie today. It is true when they say it is not what you know but who you know. In the Mr. Olympia 1908 Arnold knew the judges and got the official win.

but we all know who really won

Mike Mentzer Mr. Olympia 1980

rest in peace brother....

>:(

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2006, 02:48:33 AM »
lemme say this.. arnold has one extra olympia yea.. everyone knows that. ronnie may have 2 extra but it's not for certain. for those who say arnold got so much help... whatever. who would have beaten him? anyway arnold retired way way young and actually wasn't hungry any more in his 6th olympia. and those who talk about his legs... arnold was actually getting to have big legs until he broke his left knee... then it was rebuild to smaller than before and then came the retirement. arnold's conditioning was one of the best... that's why he beat sergio. not to mention arnold knew how to pose his body better than anyone. he looked best on stage. let's not forget also he had arms and chest that would be some of the best even today. if arnold had stayed hungry and continued bodybuilding into like 1984 or so he'd have been the best ever hands down no question. look at some of the guys who competed with him who continued in the 80's. their physiques went through the roof. arnold would have continued to be better and better. compare for example only Lou Ferigno. He came back from a LOOOONG retirement like 30 pounds heavier and veiny and disgusting (in a good way). why? better drugs. arnold could have been exactly the same thing.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2006, 03:21:32 AM »
What's Mentzer gotta do with this? Coming in 5th he's outta the discussion regardless of Arnold. It should be about Arnold and Dickerson who's the man that came second.

Was Mentzer better than Dickerson? Better than Zane? Better than Coe? If not, then he wouldn't have won anyway.

Z

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2006, 04:13:18 AM »
i thought francos 81 win was worst,he had some nasty gyno going in that show,but we all know bodybuilding is political as hell
R