Author Topic: Glenn Beck's gold-gate problem  (Read 1802 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Glenn Beck's gold-gate problem
« on: December 20, 2009, 07:27:33 PM »
Has this been talked about already?  Don't remember.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1022

Tue Dec 8, 3:47 pm ET
Yet another controversy appears to be brewing around Fox News host Glenn Beck. Some are accusing him of a blatant conflict of interest concerning his frequent on-air promotion of an investment sold by one of his main advertisers: Gold.
For some time Beck critics have cried foul over his relationship with Goldline International, a precious metals vendor that features the TV and radio host's endorsement prominently on their website. Critics charge that Beck is guilty of misleading his audience by often advising them to purchase gold in advance of the potential collapse of the value of the dollar on the world currency market, without disclosing that he is in fact a "paid spokesman" for Goldline. Beck's on-air promotion of gold, which includes advising viewers to construct "fruit cellars" and to rely on a "three G system" of "God, Gold, and Guns" in the event of America's collapse, dates back to his time as a host for CNN Headline News.

Glenn Beck also regularly talks up gold on his nationally syndicated radio show, where he often endorses Goldline during live commercial segments. Additionally, Beck has had the company's CEO on as a guest. Advertisements for Goldline are also featured prominently on Beck's own website, where he recently promoted gold in an audio clip warning of an apocalyptic future:

When the system eventually collapses, and the government comes with guns and confiscates, you know, everything in your home and all your possessions, and then you fight off the raving mad cannibalistic crowds that Ted Turner talked about, don't come crying to me. I told you: get gold.

Back in October, the liberal media company Air America made this video mocking the conflict of interest:

Beck's promotion of gold presents a potential problem for Fox News, which strictly prohibits on-air personalities from making paid product endorsements. When contacted by Daily Finance for a comment on the matter, Fox News senior vice-president for development Joel Cheatwood said the network "makes an exception for its commentators who are also radio hosts," adding that they knew upfront that hiring Beck came with the understanding that he was also a radio host and that they "had to be accepting of certain elements of that." Nevertheless, a Fox spokeswoman said that the company is addressing the matter with Beck's agent, George Hiltzik.

However, Beck, who responded to the conflict of interest allegations on his show last Thursday by saying "So I shouldn't make money?", isn't devoid of defenders on the matter. Business Insider called the controversy "nonsense," adding "there's nothing wrong with a commentator advising viewers, listeners, or readers to take positions that he is taking himself. In fact, you might wonder about the motivations of someone giving financial advice he wouldn't take himself."

In Beck's defense, some have also noted that the price of gold has spiked since he started at Fox News. Nevertheless, you can probably bet that any and all future Jon Stewart impressions of Beck will include numerous references to the virtues of gold.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Glenn Beck's gold-gate problem
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:03:34 PM »
they've been doing this forever on the radio.  These companies approach shows who they think the advertising would be most appealing to listeners.  So you end up hearing these ads on the doom and gloom shows.  I can't remember a time when it wasn't so. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:54:22 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, ...it's a non-issue, ...especially when the man is speaking truth.

yecht! Did I actually say Glenn Beck has spoken something truthful?!  :o I'm gonna go throw up now.  :-X
w

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:17:45 AM »
The most amusing thing about the article was the referance to Air America running a video mocking it.Wow,I bet close to fifteen people saw that brilliant piece of satire.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
BUMP

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:09:09 PM »
Gee Thanks for bumping this old thread 333. I always hate it when you do that, but not this time.
As we can clearly see, my interest in and belief in the acquisition of precious metals goes back at least a year based on the time stamp of my post a few posts up, while my name change only occurred 25 days ago. I think that refutes BeserkFury's claim, I only became interested in gold since my name change.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »
I did this to show Beck, who was trashed at the time by Anthony Weiner, has come out looking good on this. 

We are now a year after this and if you invested with goldline , you did very well.  Beck, hawked gold when it was 700 an ounze as did celente.   

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »
I did this to show Beck, who was trashed at the time by Anthony Weiner, has come out looking good on this. 

We are now a year after this and if you invested with goldline , you did very well.  Beck, hawked gold when it was 700 an ounze as did celente.   

And now we're at $1,400 per ounce or there about.

Beck was talking about this issue the other day on his TV show, he brought up the controversy and said he didn't care where you buy gold from, if you're looking for an insurance policy on your finances, gold was a good safe bet right now. He said gold line was a good company to use to buy your gold but all that really matters is the buying of gold itself.

So yep, really a non-issue here. 

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »
And now we're at $1,400 per ounce or there about.

Beck was talking about this issue the other day on his TV show, he brought up the controversy and said he didn't care where you buy gold from, if you're looking for an insurance policy on your finances, gold was a good safe bet right now. He said gold line was a good company to use to buy your gold but all that really matters is the buying of gold itself.

So yep, really a non-issue here. 

Excuse me sir...Beck isn't aware of KB gold..he wouldn't recommend you buy gold from an intermediary that like..

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 04:26:15 PM »

are you sure it was 700$ an ounce at the time?

seemed like it was closer to 1k

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »

Only if you bought bullion and held it.
If you were suckered into getting numismatic coins and tried to sell back to gold line... the buy back was a biyotch!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
Excuse me sir...Beck isn't aware of KB gold..he wouldn't recommend you buy gold from an intermediary that like..

KB is NOT an intermediary, they are direct to the consumer.

They own the gold mines, the refinery, the mint AND the distribution model.
What KB is doing is actually eliminating all the intermediaries and middle men.

225for70, I know you think this is funny, but there's nothing funny about spewing false information about a company you know nothing about. Especially at a time like this. PLEASE STOP IT!
w

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
KB is NOT an intermediary, they are direct to the consumer.

They own the gold mines, the refinery, the mint AND the distribution model.
What KB is doing is actually eliminating all the intermediaries and middle men.

225for70, I know you think this is funny, but there's nothing funny about spewing false information about a company you know nothing about. Especially at a time like this. PLEASE STOP IT!

He's not spewing anything false. You are in bed with a chop shop.

And to top it off, you're blatantly advertising with your little quips about buying bullion (which your company happens to be selling) instead of coins/bars. Fuck you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »
He's not spewing anything false, you conniving c*nt. You are in bed with a chop shop.

And to top it off, you're blatantly advertising with your little quips about buying bullion (which your company happens to be selling) instead of coins/bars. Fuck you.

ha ha ha  ha

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 08:45:57 PM »
it's clear what jag is doing,  no way she sides with beck unless it has dollar signs for her.  she was probably setting up her new scam when this was first posted.  for her to say this validates her because her name change didn't go through till later is just funny as shit.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 09:33:01 PM »

:D

Damn, Jag/24KT/Samson outed....AGAIN!  I guess pimping gas caps is no longer hip, haha.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 01:34:28 AM »

I'm not sure quite how to break this to you, gold bars & gold coins ARE different forms of bullion.

Can I help it if I'm in touch with the pulse of what's happening, and what is about to happen?

If you guys have a problem, take it up with 225for70. He's the one who brought it up not me.

BerserkFury, I don't think you would know advertising even if it jumped up and bit you in the crotch.
w

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 04:20:54 PM »
it's clear what jag is doing,  no way she sides with beck unless it has dollar signs for her.  she was probably setting up her new scam when this was first posted.  for her to say this validates her because her name change didn't go through till later is just funny as shit.

Surprised Ron allows this.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 01:33:04 AM »
it's clear what jag is doing,  no way she sides with beck unless it has dollar signs for her.  she was probably setting up her new scam when this was first posted.  for her to say this validates her because her name change didn't go through till later is just funny as shit.

Hahaha  Do you really think I could have been setting up a name change 12 months ago?
Trust me, I'm not the most patient woman on the planet, and waiting 12 months just ain't in me.

Other than the accusation of being Samson, that's one of the wildest stretches of imagination you've made.

The fact remain, I wasn't going to mention KB here at all. It's not even launched in North America yet.
It was 225for70 who brought it up.
w

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »
Hahaha  Do you really think I could have been setting up a name change 12 months ago?
Trust me, I'm not the most patient woman on the planet, and waiting 12 months just ain't in me.

Other than the accusation of being Samson, that's one of the wildest stretches of imagination you've made.

The fact remain, I wasn't going to mention KB here at all. It's not even launched in North America yet.
It was 225for70 who brought it up.

http://www.wealthcreationtrends.com/
 ::)

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
Everyone is looking for a quick buck.  Problem is Jag is buying the wrong resource.  Gold is a bubble, will not replace the US dollar and will continue to be pumped and sold to the masses as the 'solution' for your investments.   ::)
Abandon every hope...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 12:01:10 PM »
Lets see,Beck told people to buy gold it was 700 bucks an ounce.Its now at 1400.You doubled your money based on his advise.Obama promised that his trillion dollar stimulus bill would keep UE under 8% ,its at 9.6%.Who has more credibility again?

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
Lets see,Beck told people to buy gold it was 700 bucks an ounce.Its now at 1400.You doubled your money based on his advise.Obama promised that his trillion dollar stimulus bill would keep UE under 8% ,its at 9.6%.Who has more credibility again?

Seriously Billy that's a retarded analogy. 
Abandon every hope...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 01:53:52 PM »

LOLOLOLOLOL...one of the best posts ever!

Get to hear Jag's voice?  "so how can you lose?", hahahaha.

What a fucking tool.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 05:16:27 PM »

Now why is it that others are allowed to post links to my website in this forum,
...but I am screamed at if I do?

Samson, haven't you yet figured it out?

The no-trolling, no baseless attacks, no racism, no off-topic, no baiting, etc rules go out the window if it's done to people the moderator doesn't like. Then it's open season.

...and certain people call ME a hypocrite?  ::)
w