Author Topic: HELP! nutrition tactics on losing bodyfat...  (Read 1118 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
HELP! nutrition tactics on losing bodyfat...
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:36:41 AM »
hi everyone! so here's the story, i've now come to the decision that instead of bulking up and gaining muscle and unfortunately fat, that i need to lose bodyfat first, so i've been starting to rest less between sets (1 minute tops) and doing a bit of cardio both before and after workouts (except on leg days), right now working out on mon,tues,thurs,fri.

right now i'm 5'10 and weigh about 220 to 225 with bodyfat percentage hovering around 20 to 22 Percent!! too damn fat as far as bodyfat percentage wise, have a average to decent amount of muscle so far,after working out for the past 6 months, and at my age 45 i'm just now a newbie to working out and lifting, although in the past decade i dabble in working out. anyway... so what to do about the diet experts?

1) should i keep my protein high and my carbs low to moderate? for instance at least 1 gram of protein for my bodyweight if not more somewhere along the lines of 225 to 275 grams of protein and perhaps .75 grams of carbs a day like 150 to 200? does that sound about right for someone wanting to lose bodyfat, not much overall weight and keep and if possible build muscle? what about calorie intake?

2) if my carbs for the time being remain lower than my protein (when i bulk up the reverse will be opposite) does it matter if the carbs amounts in grams are the same for every meal or should i throughout the day lower the carbs by each meal; starting off with lots of carbs for instance after the workout and taper down until bed with hardly any carbs at all?

sorry to go on and on thanks for everyone reading this long! and thanks in advance to all you experts and your replies! 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: HELP! nutrition tactics on losing bodyfat...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:24:04 PM »
I think a Zone type of diet would suit you well.  It's not too strict (as far as what you can eat), it controls blood sugar, it's good for cholesterol (if you choose reasonably), it reduces body fat while maintaining muscle.  It's a PIA to understand at first but it is extremely flexible and balanced.  It's not what is portrayed by the media.  PM me if you want help with it.
:

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:19:35 PM »
I think a Zone type of diet would suit you well.  It's not too strict (as far as what you can eat), it controls blood sugar, it's good for cholesterol (if you choose reasonably), it reduces body fat while maintaining muscle.  It's a PIA to understand at first but it is extremely flexible and balanced.  It's not what is portrayed by the media.  PM me if you want help with it.
agreed
w

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:01 PM »
Nutrition tactic on losing bodyfat?

My advice based on personal experience is: have a slight calorie deficit everyday, I mean eat less calories than you burn, that is all you need. Don't overcomplicate with protein, carb and fat ratios and things like that. Just eat less and of course have a minimum protein consumption for muscle maintenance, which is not a lot, and if you're training hard don't do low carb.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:04:12 PM »
Nutrition tactic on losing bodyfat?

My advice based on personal experience is: have a slight calorie deficit everyday, I mean eat less calories than you burn, that is all you need. Don't overcomplicate with protein, carb and fat ratios and things like that. Just eat less and of course have a minimum protein consumption for muscle maintenance, which is not a lot, and if you're training hard don't do low carb.

which is true.  However, wouldn't it be better if one could feel better mentally and physically while maintaining as much muscle as possible?  If you're implying the Zone is about ratios ~ it's not.
:

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:41:11 PM »

which is true.  However, wouldn't it be better if one could feel better mentally and physically while maintaining as much muscle as possible?  If you're implying the Zone is about ratios ~ it's not.

Yes, it would be better to feel good mentally and physically while maintaining muscle, I know the Zone is not about ratios, I was replying to the original post, since he was worrying about protein, carb and fat ratios, etc.
I actually agree that he could do the Zone.