Author Topic: how does lower bodyfat with muscle and less weight make you look...  (Read 1080 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
just curious as to the mechanics and physiological reasons why for instance if your very lean and have muscle that someone who weighs for instance 210 pounds LOOKS like they weigh alot more and look alot bigger than someone who does weigh 225 to 235 but has some bodyfat and average muscle?

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Re: how does lower bodyfat with muscle and less weight make you look...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:15:50 PM »
do you want a real answer or the apple jacks one  ;D

I looked in google twice for an official sounding answer and all I got were bs websites trying to sell you acai berry type workouts.  I did find one piece of advice that made sense; the cut up guy looks better because the other guy has more fat covering his muscles.  I think psychologically we are wired to notice muscles more than someone who is a bit bigger but has a lot of fat covering the muscles (can't see the muscles as easily). 

My first scientific instinct, and I'm just throwing this out there I don't think its true its just something I was thinking of, was that it had something to do with surface area.  Ok imagine a ball made out of wood.  Now imagine smashing the wooden ball and it breaks into a dozen pieces of all shapes mostly triangular.  Because you exposed angles inside the ball you actually increased the total surface area, versus the ball when it was whole.  I don't think this applies here though because the fatter individual probably has more total surface area. 

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
It's called "definition"

It is also an optical illusion. Your eye will always be distracted by something with more definition than something that is smooth, round and non-defined.

In a painting you are attracted to the details... or definition. You could easily spend hours staring at a sculpture or even an anatomy chart.

As far as physiological reasoning... that question would be better suited in defining low bodyfat and the aquisition of that particular physiological state of being. The question you ask is slightly misleading because one is not associated with the other.

What are the requirements and science behind lowering bodyfat?

Why is this state so much more attractive than being fat?

Why does definition and low bodyfat on a 150lb man look so much more "attractive" than high bodyfat on a 290lb. man?

Genetics will also play a huge part in which physique is more attractive overall. Great physical, aesthetic genetics will always look better than horrid genetics with two men of equal bodyfat levels.

Did I wander from the topic enough to answer the questions? Or did I miss the question?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:30:23 PM »
Bodybuilding is all about illusion.  Chick will tell you that.