Author Topic: Does alcohol comsumption impair muscle growth?  (Read 4879 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Does alcohol comsumption impair muscle growth?
« on: December 26, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »
Discuss.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: Does alcohol comsumption impair muscle growth?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
it depends...how much alcohol are we talking about?

bench

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:16:09 PM »
I hear "brubon" is really good post workout

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
I usually pour a 5th of Vodka on my cock to kill the germs, I have been to mexico several times and so far I have a clean bill of health.

so I would say that alcohol is good for you.
I

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:22:06 PM »
I usually pour a 5th of Vodka on my cock to kill the germs, I have been to mexico several times and so far I have a clean bill of health.

so I would say that alcohol is good for you.

agreed....fool proof method.

bench

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 12:23:25 PM »
Say 7 or 8 beers once a week.

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
Discuss.
depends on how much you drink.

but yes alcohol consumtion can impact  protein synthesis negatively.

but obviously alot of people have gotten results despite getting drunk during weekends.

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
I find it hard to train when I've had 10 pints of Guinness the night before.... :D

Alex23

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 12:28:37 PM »
Subject has been beaten to death.

Short answer is yes and no.  ;D

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »

I read once that excessive alcohol consumption can hinder the production of IGF-1 (Insulin Growth Factor 1) which will thus impact muscle development.

I am no expert, and to be honest I read this in one of the bodybuilding magazines (can't remember which one), so dunno about the truth to it!  I'm sure a few drinks here and there won't harm you though!

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~

Alex23

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
Short answer is no.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/a_muscleheads_guide_to_alcohol_1

Good article wavelength.

When I drink too much, I can't get a pump and my sexdrive sucks...

2-3 drinks a day no problem... Guidoing around  5 nights a week, problem.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »
Good article wavelength.

When I drink too much, I can't get a pump and my sexdrive sucks...

2-3 drinks a day no problem... Guidoing around  5 nights a week, problem.

Yeah of course, as stated in the article, as soon as it interferes with your training, it's a problem.

Alex23

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »
I read once that excessive alcohol consumption can hinder the production of IGF-1 (Insulin Growth Factor 1) which will thus impact muscle development.

I am no expert, and to be honest I read this in one of the bodybuilding magazines (can't remember which one), so dunno about the truth to it!  I'm sure a few drinks here and there won't harm you though!

I read somewhere that alcohol consumption also prevent you from assimilating certain aminos properly.. creatine being one of them...  

Big Ron Coleman allways has a half empty bottle of white wine in the fridge... maybe it's the same one since 1998 though

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »
It doesn't take a PhD to figure out that excess alcohol can inhibit anabolic processes and put you in a catabolic state.  ;D

And I do luvs to get drunk here and there, even though I know it ain't good for my bodybuilding. It's like the forbidden fruit... :-X
A

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
  • riding shotgun on the team Nasser War wagon
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 06:41:54 PM »
I dont think alchohol itself impaires gains. Arnold and Franco were regular drinkers. I made the best gains of my like when I was drinking 8-10 beers a day. Drinking and not taking measures to prevent a hang over are certainly detremental to gains.
shotgun on the team

Alex23

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »
I dont think alchohol itself impaires gains. Arnold and Franco were regular drinkers. I made the best gains of my like when I was drinking 8-10 beers a day. Drinking and not taking measures to prevent a hang over are certainly detremental to gains.

QFT.
That's a real man right there.

Tool: "Arnold, do you drink milk?"
Arnold: "Milk is for babies. Men drink beer".

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
  • riding shotgun on the team Nasser War wagon
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »
QFT.
That's a real man right there.

Tool: "Arnold, do you drink milk?"
Arnold: "Milk is for babies. Men drink beer".

I should point out that I went to a 30 day rehab and now only drink 2-3 beers a day.

The whole addcition is a disease concept is bullshit. Since I broke up with my ex girl life is much more tranquil and there is no need to be hammered by the time she got home ;D

Leeding a peaceful and tranquil  life is better addiction treatment than any 12 step programs or rehab centers.
shotgun on the team

buffdnet

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • fuck the pope
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 08:56:59 PM »
Does alcohol comsumption impair muscle growth?
no more than smoking impairs lung cancer

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
Alcohol sugar contains more calories gram per gram than normal carbs - and a little less than fat. Only about five per cent of alcohol calories ever become fat. This is because the body uses the alcohol as energy-all the while leaving fat where it is. Why? Because alcohol is broken down by the liver, first into a substance called acetaldehyde, and then into acetate, which is the substance that prevents fat from being burned as energy.

Alcohol increases appetite by stimulating the liver to convert stored sugar (glycogen) into glucose (blood sugar). The excess glucose stimulates insulin production, and insulin in turn stimulates the powerful fat storage hormone lipoprotein lipase (LPL), which is responsible for “beer-belly syndrome” by directing fat to the abdominal cavity for storage.

Alcohol also expands your waistline by causing a rise in the muscle-wasting stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol breaks down muscle tissue-causing a decline in your overall ability to burn calories. One single night of drinking can raise cortisol for up to 24 hours.

The reason we experience the dreaded “hangover” is due to the substance acetaldehyde. As alcohol is metabolized into acetate, some of the acetaldehyde escapes the breakdown and is released into the bloodstream. Acetaldehyde happens to be a very potent neurotoxin that causes a great deal of free-radical damage, and the morning-after headache.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »
I like red wine a lot, but I always hold muscle weight better and stay better hydrated when I don't drink for a week or two.

When I drink 2-3 glasses, 4 times a week, I feel like garbage.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 09:55:40 PM »
yes

Alex23

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 11:08:42 PM »
Alcohol sugar contains more calories gram per gram than normal carbs - and a little less than fat. Only about five per cent of alcohol calories ever become fat. This is because the body uses the alcohol as energy-all the while leaving fat where it is. Why? Because alcohol is broken down by the liver, first into a substance called acetaldehyde, and then into acetate, which is the substance that prevents fat from being burned as energy.

Alcohol increases appetite by stimulating the liver to convert stored sugar (glycogen) into glucose (blood sugar). The excess glucose stimulates insulin production, and insulin in turn stimulates the powerful fat storage hormone lipoprotein lipase (LPL), which is responsible for “beer-belly syndrome” by directing fat to the abdominal cavity for storage.

Alcohol also expands your waistline by causing a rise in the muscle-wasting stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol breaks down muscle tissue-causing a decline in your overall ability to burn calories. One single night of drinking can raise cortisol for up to 24 hours.

The reason we experience the dreaded “hangover” is due to the substance acetaldehyde. As alcohol is metabolized into acetate, some of the acetaldehyde escapes the breakdown and is released into the bloodstream. Acetaldehyde happens to be a very potent neurotoxin that causes a great deal of free-radical damage, and the morning-after headache.

Check out the big brain on Brett!  Good stuff!  8)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 01:39:11 AM »
if your a girly man and lift like a pussy, then maybe getting drunk a few times wil help you. cuz maybe youll learn to be aggressive and start lifting hard for the first time