Author Topic: Former Pride FC lightweight champion Takanori Gomi signs with the UFC  (Read 776 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Former Pride FC lightweight champion and promotional posterboy, Takanori Gomi, has signed a multi-fight deal to compete inside the Octagon under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) banner, according to MMAFighting.com.

In his heyday, "Fireball Kid" was considered perhaps the best lightweight fighter on the planet. He has struggled recently, however, losing two of his last four matches to competition that is far from elite.

Nonetheless, Gomi is a fantastic and exciting addition to the talent-rich 155-pound class, which is currently dominated by division champion, B.J. Penn. Gomi and Penn actually went toe-to-toe at "Rumble on the Rock 4" back in 2003, with "The Prodigy" coming away with a convincing submission (rear naked choke) victory.

Is a rematch on tap sometime in 2010 if Gomi can put together a few wins?

Rest assured UFC President Dana White and Co. view Gomi as an instant threat to the title ... so don't doubt it. As it stands now, no official announcement or potential debut date/opponent is known at this time.

Gomi most recently competed at Shooto: "Traditional Final" on May 10, 2009. He thoroughly dominated Shooto Welterweight Champion Takashi Nakakura from the opening bell, dropping him in the second round to record the knockout victory.

Could this impressive performance signal the rebirth of his career and be a sign of future success?

It's possible. And if it does we'll likely get to enjoy it on several upcoming UFC pay-per-view (PPV) event telecasts.

More on this breaking news as it develops.

He's far from his prime, and I don't see him becoming champ, but I am curious to see how he matches up with some of the UFC up and comers, it could be interesting.
Predictions
 40/61

G.O.A.T.

• Getbig II
  • TEAM LESNAR
Re: Former Pride FC lightweight champion Takanori Gomi signs with the UFC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:34:17 AM »
I am looking forward to see him mixing it up with the UFC talent but he his past his prime. When Nick got cut from UFC and went to Pride and whipped Gomi it killed his mystique for me.
TEAM LESNAR