Author Topic: vince basile ifbb pro?  (Read 19823 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: vince basile ifbb pro?
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 06:22:33 PM »
Here is a photo Ed took of the Most Muscular contest won by Walter Milner. Walter and John went on to win Mr Canada in the early 70s. Ken disappeared. Ken was a cocky fellow and a bit of a tough guy. A few months before the contest he asked if I was enterring the contest and I replied, "I am not enterring, I am going to win it!" He laughed in my face. That was the motivation I needed. He was on the gear and was huge. That was when I asked Roz to get me some Dianabol. I vowed to give this a good showing and I kept my tracksuit on at Western Gym so nobody could see how I looked. I even went to Portland before the contest to train at Sam Loprinzi's gym because he had a great suntan machine there. I recall doing a few reps with 115 dumbbells in the seated incline. I had no trouble cleaning them. Ah, the good old days.

Look at Ken Rivard. He had no clue about how to pose effectively and that cost him the title. Also, he showed up with no tan. In those days we put some iodine in babyoil to add a bit of colour to our skin. Ken was so sure he was the winner that he didn't bother. Yes, some people booed when he didn't win but there you are. There were 13 judges who were very experienced in bodybuilding. I was pleased I received the vote of Chuck Sipes.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »
Gosh, imagine the nerve of Melvin Goodrum to post his photo in a thread about me? To tell the truth I always have a problem about where to file photos of this dude. I keep him under 'bodybuilding' but that is only for convenience.

I have campaigned for Ron to give Melvin his blue stars for competing but I guess even Ron has standards. Come to think about it, I don't have those damn stars, either.

Everyone is entitled to comment about contests and competitors. However, there is a sense in which it helps if you have paid your dues. I doubt Melvin has the credentials to bag anyone else out there who competes. That doesn't stop him from putting down others. He has to realize that the Mr Canada contest that I won was 40 years ago this year. He wasn't even born then. I look at the photos and the standard wasn't that high but it still wasn't easy to win. Ken Rivard had an awesome upper body. I mean, what would Melvin know?

Here is a photo of Ken winning best back during the 1970 Mr Canada. He won best back, chest and arms. I got best legs and best poser. Walter won best abs and most muscular.

The only thing in question is how competitive was the 1970 Mr Canada and looking in the background, not that much.  There's even a guy in there not even wearing posing trunks.  Its clearly obvious that this show is on par with a local bodybuilding show and not even close to the 200 NPC USA in which you bag Bob Chick for when there were over 200 people competing.

As far as this guy is concerned, yes he has a great back but absolutely no calves or legs whatsoever.  Obviously popping some juice
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2010, 06:28:56 PM »
Here is a photo Ed took of the Most Muscular contest won by Walter Milner. Walter and John went on to win Mr Canada in the early 70s. Ken disappeared. Ken was a cocky fellow and a bit of a tough guy. A few months before the contest he asked if I was enterring the contest and I replied, "I am not enterring, I am going to win it!" He laughed in my face. That was the motivation I needed. He was on the gear and was huge. That was when I asked Roz to get me some Dianabol. I vowed to give this a good showing and I kept my tracksuit on at Western Gym so nobody could see how I looked. I even went to Portland before the contest to train at Sam Loprinzi's gym because he had a great suntan machine there. I recall doing a few reps with 115 dumbbells in the seated incline. I had no trouble cleaning them. Ah, the good old days.

Look at Ken Rivard. He had no clue about how to pose effectively and that cost him the title. Also, he showed up with no tan. In those days we put some iodine in babyoil to add a bit of colour to our skin. Ken was so sure he was the winner that he didn't bother. Yes, some people booed when he didn't win but there you are. There were 13 judges who were very experienced in bodybuilding. I was pleased I received the vote of Chuck Sipes.

You criticize steroids being used in the IFBB today when these guys are obviously dropping some juice??? Please Vince, these picture only prove how hypocritical you are. 
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »
What a goose you are, Melvin. You don't look great yet bag guys from 40 years ago.

Here are the 1970 Mr Pacific Northwest results. Alaska, BC, Wash, and Oregon were elegible. All those from Vancouver could enter but Ken decided to compete only in the Mr Canada contest.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
What a goose you are, Melvin. You don't look great yet bag guys from 40 years ago.

Here are the 1970 Mr Pacific Northwest results. Alaska, BC, Wash, and Oregon were elegible. All those from Vancouver could enter but Ken decided to compete only in the Mr Canada contest.

Basile, no one didn't have to do a National Qualfier to compete.  I'm sorry but shows in the US in 1970 had much better competitor and a higher level of competition.  Its prob the reason why the 1970 Mr Canada wasn't a pro qualifier. 

My problem is that you're spinning it as a more difficult show than it really was. 
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »

You criticize steroids being used in the IFBB today when these guys are obviously dropping some juice??? Please Vince, these picture only prove how hypocritical you are. 

Melvin, you really don't have a clue about steroids. I am against the amount of drugs needed to compete at the professional level today. That level far exceeds anything I would have used in the past. Several
'experts' here state there is no way 2 Dianabol/day is all I used. Well, what can I say but they don't know what they are talking about. You have to remember that anabolic steroids were thought to be dangerous in those days and doctors thought they could trigger cancer in humans. So no one took those drugs lightly or for very long. Most of the guys in the lineup were clean.

The guy in the long pants was Lenny Marriott. He was a polio victim but competed, anyway, and got an encouragement award. Good for Lenny. He trained at Western Gym with the big lads and had a lot of trouble getting down the stairs to the basement gym. It was literally beside the furnace room! That was still a great place to train.

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2010, 06:44:19 PM »
ha ha Vince G is the internets punching bag

Run along with your little online "diplomas"

Ta Ta

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »
Melvin, you really don't have a clue about steroids. I am against the amount of drugs needed to compete at the professional level today. That level far exceeds anything I would have used in the past. Several
'experts' here state there is no way 2 Dianabol/day is all I used. Well, what can I say but they don't know what they are talking about. You have to remember that anabolic steroids were thought to be dangerous in those days and doctors thought they could trigger cancer in humans. So no one took those drugs lightly or for very long. Most of the guys in the lineup were clean.

The guy in the long pants was Lenny Marriott. He was a polio victim but competed, anyway, and got an encouragement award. Good for Lenny. He trained at Western Gym with the big lads and had a lot of trouble getting down the stairs to the basement gym. It was literally beside the furnace room! That was still a great place to train.

Yes a lot of guys were clean in that show obviously....except that you weren't.  Good job winning a title because others didn't juice..... ::)

I'm off to bed, can't hear this crap anymore
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »
Melvin, you need a history lesson. Joe and Ben Weider were Canadians living in Montreal. From their early days publishing magazines they often featured Mr Canada winners in their magazines. So winning that title was significant in those days. The Brunet brothers, Leo Robert, John Charles St Mars and other champions were featured in Weider magazines.

We have no idea why only Philippe Alfani was the only guy from Quebec and Ontario. There is no doubt there were probably guys who might have been better. However, that is irrelevant because they didn't show up to compete. Jim Forsythe, who won the Arm Wrestling championships for Canada at the contest, used to ask, "Where were the lumberjacks from Quebec and elsewhere?" Well, if they don't show up then the title can't go to them. Winning the title doesn't mean you have the best physique in the country but are the best of those who competed. Ditto for arm wrestling.

Let us put this discussion into some perspective. How would you have done in the lineup? You wouldn't have placed. End of story.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2010, 06:54:47 PM »
I swear Melvin Goodrum is a dickhead. It wasn't long ago that he and that equally intelligent stooge, Bob Chick, were claiming that I won the Mr Canada title because no one else showed up. What dunces. Where is the apology for being wrong, huh, Melvin? Bob C never apologizes but blames others for being mistaken.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
Chuck Sipes was the guest poser. He also put on a strongman display where he bent a steel spike and a steel bar. He had the announcer read out some hype while he was doing his feats. He bent a 6 inch nail by wrapping a small towel around it. Then presto, one bend and it was U-shaped. He then tossed the spike to the audience where it was passed around. Several of us went out and bought steel nails to see how we could go. The 6 inch nail was fairly easy but in fairness to Chuck, he bent it much quicker than any of us. I was able to bend a 7 inch nail after some practice.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
Chuck weighed about 210 that day. Look at the forearm on Chuck! He really impressed the fans in Vancouver. We had a party at my place later that Chuck attended. Later in the evening he decided to do 100 pushups. Apparently he always did them before retiring. It was a hoot to watch the wannabes join Chuck on the floor doing pushups. Some gal had the hots for Chuck at the party but he was supposed to be married and religious so nothing happened....that I know of! He was a really decent man and a pity he committed suicide many years ago.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
Didnt he use to bend coins between his fingers to?

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »
Vince Basile... you got my vote. To do what you did back then can't really be compared to what is done today. If you had back then what knowledge and guidance we had today, you may have been even better.

This whole arguement is like Tom Cruise arguing with Sean Connery.

It really is pointless.

The pictures and the timeline speak for themselves. Goodrum is, and always will be delusional. Why he posts pix of himself is beyond my understanding.

I have far surpassed (as many here have) his level of "conditioning" (if you will) and his size; yet you do not see pictures of me plastered all over every thread saying "look at me, look at me!" Many of us have surpassed his "credentials" yet we do not feel it necessary to plaster them all over the internet either.

Take us back 40 years. Most of us cannot even comprehend. Me? I was a baby back then. Bashing on you would be like bashing on my father. Disrespectful.

BTW, I'm not kissing your ass, I'm just having a laugh at all the foolishness and lack of appropriate thought-processing in this thread.

WAWY

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »
Vince Basile - you look great in those pics and I don't think anyone here really gives a crap if you were taking 2 dball/day!  Thanks for the nostalgia - its good to see how bodybuilding used to be!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
The lads on Getbig usually see through the delusional and thank goodness for that. Guys like Melvin are still good to have around for a laugh. It is because they are sooooo serious that is a hoot.

Here is the article published in Muscle Builder around 1970. Bob should shake his sorry head but I guess his toupee might fall off! LOL. What does he know about bodybuilding history?

Ray Beck didn't write that article but I did. I put Ray's name there so I wouldn't sound like a big head. I wasn't paid for the article or the photos which cost me something. Afterwards, I never wrote any articles or sent photos to Weider again. I took heaps of photos of the Mr Olympia in Sydney but never sent any to Joe. I even told Joe I had photos when I talked to him on the harbour cruise after the Olympia in 1980. He told me to send him the contacts. To you guys that means thumbnails but on paper.

I haven't got all the photos that are featured in the article because they weren't returned to me. You can see Philippe Alfani who came third. Also, Big Jim Forsythe who won the arm wrestling. I had to lose 20 pounds to compete at 190 pounds. I was beating Jim at arm wrestling when I was 210. He twisted the table around to give himself an advantage. Truth be told I was depleted from dieting and also got worn out by a junior in the semi finals. That kid was strong. His dad invented the arm wrestling trainer. Neil Lewis.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »

If you won best legs, I don't see how.  Those legs need to be thrown on a plate with a biscuit and cole slaw.  

Nowadays you have to have cuts and striations in your quads
hahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahaha you would have still placed last in the conterst 40 years ago that Basile won.  Real question Goodrum, are you retarded or have some kind of mental issue.  Whaty kind of drugs are you on and how long have you been going to the doctor.  I mean you must be one hell of a case study. 
No Worries 4 me

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »
Hey, Keith, we bag Goodrum but for good reason. Maybe we should ease off a bit because he really is delusional. When he posted his photos in this thread I thought WTF is this. The guy has no shame but maybe he gets told he looks great so that is what he thinks about himself. I mean, are you and I stopping him from winning even a local novice contest?

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »
He will never ever ever win a contest or even take top 3 unless there are only 3 entrants.  He is perennial loser.  I just can't see how his small brain works.  No matter how many people tell him he looks like shit he still thinks he looks great.  he is the only one "in his world".  It is almost like he is autistic or retarded.  He is definitely mentally disturbed.  One of the most fucked up people on the internet and in real life.  I find it so funny how he thinks he knows so much about everything yet he is always outed for being full of shit. 
No Worries 4 me

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »
Ken Rivard was a loner. I don't know his background but I used to hang around English Bay Beach in Vancouver and Ken was there occasionally. I knew him from the gym so we were mates. Somehow he turned on me before the Mr Canada and acted rather cocky and ruthless. I would have helped him with his posing but he dismissed me. Things like that got to me and inside I wanted to show him. I told him to train his legs and work on his posing. That fell on deaf ears. When you look at his photo you see the guy was clearly huge and had good genes. The potential was there to be Mr Universe easily. However, like many other things in life it isn't always about potential but what you do with what you have. Sometimes lesser guys with more motivation succeed whereas the gifted don't.

io856

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
The lads on Getbig usually see through the delusional and thank goodness for that. Guys like Melvin are still good to have around for a laugh. It is because they are sooooo serious that is a hoot.

Here is the article published in Muscle Builder around 1970. Bob should shake his sorry head but I guess his toupee might fall off! LOL. What does he know about bodybuilding history?

hahaha

that was  a good one

vince you might be an old fella but you can def "hang" with the getbiggers here

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
Here is another shot taken after winning the Mr Canada contest. The photographer had no experience shooting physiques so most of these images aren't quite right. I am posting it here, anyway. There weren't many from the contest worth buying. In 1980 and 1987 I found a guy who bought the original contest negatives but it wasn't worth his while to try to find them for me. The angle isn't right for this pose.

io856

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
Ken Rivard was a loner. I don't know his background but I used to hang around English Bay Beach in Vancouver and Ken was there occasionally. I knew him from the gym so we were mates. Somehow he turned on me before the Mr Canada and acted rather cocky and ruthless. I would have helped him with his posing but he dismissed me. Things like that got to me and inside I wanted to show him. I told him to train his legs and work on his posing. That fell on deaf ears. When you look at his photo you see the guy was clearly huge and had good genes. The potential was there to be Mr Universe easily. However, like many other things in life it isn't always about potential but what you do with what you have. Sometimes lesser guys with more motivation succeed whereas the gifted don't.
wow he had some great thickness in his back...

why didn't he rid himself of body hair? I thought that was customary to physique display particularly for contests

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2010, 09:12:40 PM »
Ken had some acne on his back. As far as shaving body hair in those days many thought it was a sissy thing to do. Ken wasn't a pretty boy and didn't do anything like that. He didn't think posing was important so didn't practice. He looked like a novice and that helped me win because I practiced daily doing my routine. In those days, you didn't get help from others so had to get poses from magazines and go from there. We weren't allowed to pose to music at the contests. Things have changed today and even schoolboys have music and good routines.

travisma

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2010, 09:16:09 PM »
He will never ever ever win a contest or even take top 3 unless there are only 3 entrants.  He is perennial loser.  I just can't see how his small brain works.  No matter how many people tell him he looks like shit he still thinks he looks great.  he is the only one "in his world".  It is almost like he is autistic or retarded.  He is definitely mentally disturbed.  One of the most fucked up people on the internet and in real life.  I find it so funny how he thinks he knows so much about everything yet he is always outed for being full of shit. 

What I find funny is that you still go on pretending to be someone that you are not....

Keith D. Jones the man that stole money from supposed friends and never returns phone calls or emails... Maybe I should take some of these emails and post them on Getbig for everyone to see....