Author Topic: In general, when do salaried workers get paid?  (Read 3051 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
In general, when do salaried workers get paid?
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »

Start of the month or pay period?

Or end of the month or pay period? 

I always thought people on salary got paid after they'd already worked, not before.  I was under the impression that many would get a signing bonus before starting work, but that that was not part of their salary. 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: In general, when do salaried workers get paid?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
We pay a signing bonus that is not part of the salary and it is paid with their first paycheck. We also pay quarterly bonus' based off profit margins that are also not part of the initial salary. So a guy making 80k a year could get a 10k signing bonus and quarterly bonus' anywhere from 1k-5k. So they have a 80k salary, but their first year they could make over 100k after bonus'.

We give the first paycheck after 2-3 weeks of work depending on the timing of when they are hired. Then we pay every other Friday.

Every firm i have ever worked with paid at the end of the pay period.

So my employees that get paid this coming Friday are getting paid for the weeks ending 12/19 and 12/26.

It really depends on what kind of business you have and how your payroll is setup. My firm is an Engineering firm and we require all of our employees to bill to projects 80% at a minimum, except for our marketing guys who charge overhead for most of their work. we base bonus' off "utility ratings" meaning the higher percentage you bill to a client, the more profitable you "look", but some guys will bill to jobs and not do anything, so we have ways of working out who is profitable and who is not. Some guys have a 100% utility rating because they bill to jobs 100% of the time, charging zero overhead.

8)

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
I get paid on the last day of they month (30th or 31st) at midnight and on the 15th at midnight. If either of those days fall on a Sat or Sun, then i get it on Friday. If that day falls on a Monday, i get paid on Sat....
L

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:23:27 AM »
Is Tre finally finding a legitimate job? :)

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
I get paid every 2nd tuesday for work done for the 2 weeks up until the friday just passed... good system for both imo...

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »

I think the law requires you to get paid 72 hours after you work, or maybe 5 days afterwards.  That means, if you are on salary, they can pay you on the 30th for anything you worked up to the 25th.  It does matter in what states you are in the US, depending on overtime, holiday, etc.

As for the frequency, it is up to the employer.  Schools pay teachers out here once a month.  We pay on the 15th and the 30th.  Others pay bi-weekly. Everyone is different.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
I think the law requires you to get paid 72 hours after you work, or maybe 5 days afterwards.  That means, if you are on salary, they can pay you on the 30th for anything you worked up to the 25th.  It does matter in what states you are in the US, depending on overtime, holiday, etc.

As for the frequency, it is up to the employer.  Schools pay teachers out here once a month.  We pay on the 15th and the 30th.  Others pay bi-weekly. Everyone is different.

if you don't get paid, file a complaint with the labor department and if you get paid and the check bounces twice call your local police department and file criminal charges for bad checks

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:19:56 PM »
Is Tre finally finding a legitimate job? :)

Hellllll no! lol

Just another case where I thought I was correct, but my buddy insisted I was wrong.

Thanks, GetBig!   :D

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
I remember my first week working and that week thinking that i was going to have to wait X amount of days for the first paycheck to roll in ...then on that Friday ..BOOOM I got $$$$  ;D ;D ;D ;D
L

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 01:39:14 PM »
i was only on salary for 6 months.......i got $65,000.00 up front.....and $75,000.00 at the completion of the tour...

bench

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »
a salary is when you get a set amount of money
wages are when you get paid by the hour

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »
They really don't

they are indentured to the point of making boatloads of money for the principals

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 02:00:42 PM »
i was only on salary for 6 months.......i got $65,000.00 up front.....and $75,000.00 at the completion of the tour...

bench

tour?
are you a rockstar?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 02:23:49 PM »
tour?
are you a rockstar?
nah...security, and extraction...

bench

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 02:24:28 PM »
nah...security, and extraction...

bench

cool  8)

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »
Different for different companies but i have received a monthly salary of 2 weeks worked and 2 weeks in advance. Some were just for the previous month worked.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »
here in ontario, salaried workers get paid every two weeks, just as the hourly staff do.

at least where I work (municipal government)
Flower Boy Ran Away

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
here in ontario, salaried workers get paid every two weeks, just as the hourly staff do.

at least where I work (municipal government)

I doubt getbiggers are interested to know how this thing works with secretaries.  ::)