Author Topic: Gilbert Arena Suspended from the NBA  (Read 2995 times)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Gilbert Arena Suspended from the NBA
« on: January 06, 2010, 01:47:29 PM »
he loses almost $150k per game he misses

NEW YORK -- NBA commissioner David Stern has indefinitely suspended Gilbert Arenas, saying the Washington Wizards guard is "not currently fit to take the court" for a game.

Stern says in a statement Wednesday that Arenas' actions will "ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse."

Because Arenas violated NBA rules by bringing guns into Washington's locker room, Stern decided to punish Arenas now. He said the suspension begins immediately.

Stern says he originally planned to wait for the criminal investigation to be completed before taking action, and directed the Wizards to do the same.

Every game Arenas ends up missing during the suspension will cost him $147,208.

The suspension comes after multiple media reports over the weekend said that a dispute over a gambling debt led to a conflict between Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that an argument commenced during a card game on the team's overnight flight back to Washington from Phoenix on Dec. 19 and escalated into a heated exchange between Arenas and Crittenton. The Wizards had Dec. 20 off, but sources say hostilities between the two resumed Dec. 21 in the locker room on a practice day.

Sources say that Arenas, in response to what was said on the flight, placed the three guns on a chair near Crittenton's locker stall and invited him to pick one before practice on Dec. 21. Sources said that Crittenton subsequently let Arenas know that he had his own gun.

The Washington Post reported in Sunday's editions that Arenas, according to sources, was expecting Crittenton to see the guns on his chair as a joke based on the earlier back-and-forth on the plane, during which Crittenton allegedly said that he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee. But Crittenton, according to Post, reacted angrily and tossed one of the guns to the floor, saying he had his own.

In his statement, Arenas confirmed that the guns were brought out at the Dec. 21 practice.

"As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids," the statement read. "I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the D.C. gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District. On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate.

"Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone. Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to D.C. in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded."

Arenas met with law enforcement officials on Monday to explain why he had guns at the Verizon Center last month.

Arenas' lawyer issued a statement saying that the player met with federal prosecutors at the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and detectives of the Metropolitan Police Department for more than two hours.

At the NBA's request, the firearms language was bolstered during collective bargaining in 2005. Players are subject to discipline if they bring guns to the arena or practice facility, or even an offsite promotional appearance.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Gilbert Arena Suspended from the NBA
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:50:05 PM »

NEW YORK -- NBA commissioner David Stern has indefinitely suspended Gilbert Arenas, saying the Washington Wizards guard is "not currently fit to take the court" for a game.

Stern says in a statement Wednesday that Arenas' actions will "ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse."

Because Arenas violated NBA rules by bringing guns into Washington's locker room, Stern decided to punish Arenas now. He said the suspension begins immediately.

Stern says he originally planned to wait for the criminal investigation to be completed before taking action, and directed the Wizards to do the same.

The suspension comes after multiple media reports over the weekend said that a dispute over a gambling debt led to a conflict between Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that an argument commenced during a card game on the team's overnight flight back to Washington from Phoenix on Dec. 19 and escalated into a heated exchange between Arenas and Crittenton. The Wizards had Dec. 20 off, but sources say hostilities between the two resumed Dec. 21 in the locker room on a practice day.

Sources say that Arenas, in response to what was said on the flight, placed the three guns on a chair near Crittenton's locker stall and invited him to pick one before practice on Dec. 21. Sources said that Crittenton subsequently let Arenas know that he had his own gun.

The Washington Post reported in Sunday's editions that Arenas, according to sources, was expecting Crittenton to see the guns on his chair as a joke based on the earlier back-and-forth on the plane, during which Crittenton allegedly said that he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee. But Crittenton, according to Post, reacted angrily and tossed one of the guns to the floor, saying he had his own.

In his statement, Arenas confirmed that the guns were brought out at the Dec. 21 practice.

"As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids," the statement read. "I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the D.C. gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District. On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate.

"Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone. Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to D.C. in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded."

Arenas met with law enforcement officials on Monday to explain why he had guns at the Verizon Center last month.

Arenas' lawyer issued a statement saying that the player met with federal prosecutors at the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and detectives of the Metropolitan Police Department for more than two hours.

At the NBA's request, the firearms language was bolstered during collective bargaining in 2005. Players are subject to discipline if they bring guns to the arena or practice facility, or even an offsite promotional appearance.

Costly lesson

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:50:51 PM »
Arenas should be available to do the NY Pro now...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »

dam ,this should have been done last night before they beat the sixers.
F

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
he has $80M left on his contract, depending on what the investigation comes up with, the NBA and the Wizards will look to forfeit the contract...that has to hurt.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
he has $80M left on his contract, depending on what the investigation comes up with, the NBA and the Wizards will look to forfeit the contract...that has to hurt.

He has been looking at it like a big damn joke all along. What a idiot!
D

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
He has been looking at it like a big damn joke all along. What a idiot!

Really!!!!  at there last game he acted like he had guns in hands and pretending to shoot teammates.. look below..

UPDATE: After the game, Arenas and his teammates said that they were doing a spin on a touchdown celebration from the movie "Any Given Sunday," in which a player sprayed his 'mates with pretend gunfire.

"They asked me to do it," Arenas told David Steele of NBA FanHouse.

Oh, they asked you to do it? Cool. See that bridge over there?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,212006

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:14:17 PM »
only 6 days into the year & we have a strong candidate for dumbass of the year
DAWG

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 02:15:05 PM »

Really!!!!  at there last game he acted like he had guns in hands and pretending to shoot teammates.. look below..

UPDATE: After the game, Arenas and his teammates said that they were doing a spin on a touchdown celebration from the movie "Any Given Sunday," in which a player sprayed his 'mates with pretend gunfire.

That should please Al Sharpton.  :D Gilbert wants a Apology from Mr. Sharpton
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 02:17:53 PM »

D

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 02:22:48 PM »
This Moron Should never Be allowed to dribble a basketball in the NBA again, What if the gun went off and killed a player in the locker room, Typical NBA bullshit, thats why this game is garbage, Make it a hight limit of 6 feet or under for players that would get ride of the garbage in the NBA

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »
This Moron Should never Be allowed to dribble a basketball in the NBA again, What if the gun went off and killed a player in the locker room, Typical NBA bullshit, thats why this game is garbage, Make it a hight limit of 6 feet or under for players that would get ride of the garbage in the NBA

He has said that they were not loaded and they were not, still a idiot. Agent 0  :D I was watching Skip Bayless on First Take and him and Rob Parker (MORON) were saying that the Wizards organization asked Gilbert to bring them to the arena.... ::) ::)
D

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 02:27:29 PM »
only 6 days into the year & we have a strong candidate for dumbass of the year

haha, yeah

these guys have no idea how easy they have it...

why don't they remember the shitty hoods they come from? Their actions always seem bent on putting them right back there or worse

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »
He has said that they were not loaded and they were not, still a idiot. Agent 0  :D I was watching Skip Bayless on First Take and him and Rob Parker (MORON) were saying that the Wizards organization asked Gilbert to bring them to the arena.... ::) ::)

I dont think thats true..

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 02:30:22 PM »
I dont think thats true..

Me either. Wizards want guns around in their locker rooms...Sure Gilbert...sure... ::) ::) ::) ::)
D

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 02:32:05 PM »

Funny I thought WASHINGTON wanted to get away from their old Team name ???

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 02:32:18 PM »
This has to be one of the dumbest posts so far this year. Someone please break this one down.
People complain that bbers are too short, now someone states that NBA players should be 6 feet and under...because...?

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »

Funny I thought WASHINGTON wanted to get away from their old Team name ???

:D
D

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 02:36:08 PM »
what a jerk

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »
Today is also Gilbert's Birthday also...Happy Birthday Gilbert  ;D :D
D

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
Today is also Gilbert's Birthday also...Happy Birthday Gilbert  ;D :D

hahaha suspended on his birthday lol.

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »
This has to be one of the dumbest posts so far this year. Someone please break this one down.
People complain that bbers are too short, now someone states that NBA players should be 6 feet and under...because...?

DO i have to spell it out for you Moron, This rule will speed up the game, improve the fast pace of the game, eliminate the stupid dunk, and get ride of the 92% ghetto black players that only made the league to to their God given hight, Seem me to break that down more for you there Willi Parker???

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 02:42:45 PM »
DO i have to spell it out for you Moron, This rule will speed up the game, improve the fast pace of the game, eliminate the stupid dunk, and get ride of the 92% ghetto black players that only made the league to to their God given hight, Seem me to break that down more for you there Willi Parker???

its a stupid rule nails..what the fuck is ride?

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
its a stupid rule nails..what the fuck is ride?

Thats my Inglewood Ejamication  ;D

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 02:55:38 PM »

Yes good idea because america really wants to watch a bunch of china men play basketball.

As for arenas.  A monkey and his jungle are never that far apart.  nickers will be nickers.