Author Topic: Texas has worst-ranked food stamp program (Check out the Photo!)  (Read 1716 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Texas has worst-ranked food stamp program (see photo)
Houston Chronicle ^ | 01/13/2010 | GARY SCHARRER

________________________ ________________________ ___________

AUSTIN — Texas has the worst performing food stamp program in the nation, the federal director for food assistance told state officials here Tuesday.

It ranks last among the 50 states and U.S. territories in processing food stamp applications and also does a poor job getting eligible low-income people to apply, said Kevin Concannon, a U.S. Department of Agriculture undersecretary, in an earlier meeting with reporters.

And because Texas does not even come close to the national average in enrolling those eligible, grocery retailers like H-E-B and Randalls are missing out on nearly $1 billion a year in food sales, he said.

“If I were a native son sitting down here, I would be very upset that my state was not the leader that it is capable of being,” Concannon said.

(Excerpt) Read more at chron.com ...

________________________ ________________________ _________________

No wonder our country is going down the toilet.  These slobs can get hair weaves, cell phones, but want me to pay fo rtheir damn food! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Texas has worst-ranked food stamp program (Check out the Photo!)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:37:48 AM »
Houston Chronicle members
 Not Logged In Login / Sign-up  Houston & Texas News NOW 43 o   NEWSSPORTS BUSINESS ENTERTAINMENT LIFE TRAVEL BLOGSJOBSHOMES CARS CLASSIFIEDS Mobile | SMS   
 572Comments 49Recommend
Official: Texas has worst-ranked food stamp program
By GARY SCHARRER AUSTIN BUREAU
Jan. 12, 2010, 9:16PM

AUSTIN — Texas has the worst performing food stamp program in the nation, the federal director for food assistance told state officials here Tuesday.

It ranks last among the 50 states and U.S. territories in processing food stamp applications and also does a poor job getting eligible low-income people to apply, said Kevin Concannon, a U.S. Department of Agriculture undersecretary, in an earlier meeting with reporters.

And because Texas does not even come close to the national average in enrolling those eligible, grocery retailers like H-E-B and Randalls are missing out on nearly $1 billion a year in food sales, he said.

“If I were a native son sitting down here, I would be very upset that my state was not the leader that it is capable of being,” Concannon said.

Texas does not have enough workers to process food stamp applications and is one of only three states that fingerprints applicants for food assistance. The state also imposes a time-consuming and complicated assets test that impedes the effort to help desperate and hungry people, Concannon said.

“It bars Texans who deserve to get help from getting that help,” he said.

Getting state lawmakers to eliminate the fingerprinting requirement and assets test will require Texas Health and Human Services Commissioner Tom Suehs “to persuade, cajole and convince a whole bunch of people,” Concannon said before meeting with Suehs. “And we are very much in his corner.”

Fraud deterrent

Gov. Rick Perry, however, has no intention of backing down on the fingerprinting and assets test requirements.

“The governor supports the continued use of fingerprinting and assets tests to protect the integrity of the program. It's shocking the Obama administration would even suggest weakening the fraud protections we have in state law,” Perry spokeswoman Katherine Cesinger said.

Fingerprinting, or finger imaging, requirements should not be relaxed, agreed former state Rep. Arlene Wohlgemuth, now executive director of the Texas Public Policy Foundation.

It only takes two to four minutes to collect a finger image, which would deter people from trying to sign up at multiple food stamp eligibility offices, she said.

“I'm mystified that people would not be in favor of deterring fraud,” Wohlgemuth said. “I hardly think that that's burdensome on anybody, and it protects the taxpayer.”

She blamed a faulty computer system for contributing to the lengthy processing time for food stamp applications.

Delays discouraging

Texas, which for months has lagged far behind a federal requirement that applications for food stamps be processed within 30 days, or seven days in emergency cases, hired more than 600 people last fall to help determine eligibility for food stamp benefits and other federal programs.

Some 43 percent of the applications were not processed on time in November, the most recent reporting period.

The long delay dissuades other eligible people from applying, Concannon said.

Suehs took over the job at the Texas Health and Human Services Commission last year.

“I am encouraged that you have new leadership that gets it and that wants to bring Texas into the 21st century,” Concannon said.

Federal officials are hopeful that food banks in Houston, San Antonio and Dallas soon will be able to initiate food stamp applications, which will catch needy Texans in a convenient location and reduce processing time for state employees when they get the applications.

The government provided Texans with about $4 billon in food assistance last year, but the state only enrolls 55 percent of those eligible to receive it, based on census income data. The average among the 50 states is 66 percent.

About 3.1 million Texans qualified for food stamps last month, including 387,764 in Harris County. It would take another 600,000 people to meet the national average enrollment rate, Concannon said.

“This is a proven way to get food into the hands of hungry people. It also would have an impact on the state economy,” he said.

H-E-B is working with the Texas Health and Human Service Commission and with non-profit groups and food banks to improve access to the program, company spokeswoman Dya Campos said.

“H-E-B is aware of the urgent situation that many Texans face with food insecurity,” she said.

Federal funds at stake

The government pays for the food. States pick up half of the administrative costs, including employee expenses.

The government could cut funding to Texas if it does not improve the program, but Concannon said he is hesitant to do that because hungry Texans would get hurt.

Pending litigation should influence state leaders to fix things, Concannon said, because Texas “flat out is not meeting our federal law.”

“The most hopeful, expeditious way to solve this is for the state to act in good faith and good will to get the resources they need,” he said.

gscharrer@express-news.net

________________________ ________________________ ___________

Unfreaking real.  The govt is complaining that people are not signbing up for welfare fast enough!

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:42:46 AM »
I don't mind the hair weaves.
I don't mind the cell phones.

But I have to draw the line at finger and toe nails looking like some kind of kindergarten art project with glitter, rhinestones, paint jobs that look like something Xibit from Pimp My Ride would do.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:46:04 AM »
I don't mind the hair weaves.
I don't mind the cell phones.

But I have to draw the line at finger and toe nails looking like some kind of kindergarten art project with glitter, rhinestones, paint jobs that look like something Xibit from Pimp My Ride would do.

Check out the slob in the upper right corner.  Does that pig looks like she is not well fed?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:53:15 AM »
Check out the slob in the upper right corner.  Does that pig looks like she is not well fed?

If she had stuck to just giving blowjobs like fat girls are known to excel at (they work harder to help compensate for weight and beauty impairments), she wouldn't be standing in that line waiting on her "gubment cheese".

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:58:04 AM »
If she had stuck to just giving blowjobs like fat girls are known to excel at (they work harder to help compensate for weight and beauty impairments), she wouldn't be standing in that line waiting on her "gubment cheese".

Bro - would you let that come near you?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:12:04 AM »
Bro - would you let that come near you?

Hell no.

She isn't pretty enough to make it as a Ten Minutes To Two Princess.

Like when you been drinking in a bar all night and it is ten minutes before closing time and all the half way decent girls have left hours ago and you really really got to have SOMETHING to take home cause you beer horny....

Well she isn't good enough for that criteria.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:32:01 AM »
My answer to this is so what? There are 49 other states, I'm sure one of them can meet their food stamp needs ::).
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »
it may surprise you to know that Austin is actually a liberal haven in Texas...who knew?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
it may surprise you to know that Austin is actually a liberal haven in Texas...who knew?

Put those people on a farm and teach them to grow food. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »

My disgust for free loaders isn't affected by party affiliation.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 09:13:02 AM »
My disgust for free loaders isn't affected by party affiliation.
agreed and it was just a side not but to deny that the majority of govt dependents lean a certain way politically is ignorant.  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
agreed and it was just a side not but to deny that the majority of govt dependents lean a certain way politically is ignorant.  ;)

Serious, why dont we put these people on farms and teach them food growing and work?

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 09:18:49 AM »
Serious, why dont we put these people on farms and teach them food growing and work?

What?! Are you insane? You expect someone to work! Have you no heart man ;D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 09:23:53 AM »
Austin is ranked as one of the best and most livable cities in the world.  Probably because it's a liberal place.  

There are always two sides to this 333.  One is yes those who should use their funds on food rather than cellphones, hair etc.  But then there are those who need the food stamps and who are missing out on their most basic human need - food.  These are the people we should be concerned about and it is those people who i think this is all about.
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 09:25:20 AM »

That would be great but then they'd be forced out by some corporate owned farm who does it cheaper and with illegal labor.  Not to mention the need to buy only from one company for your seeds and not be able to save said seeds so you must buy new ones each and every year.  Talk about corruption and monopoly's. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
That would be great but then they'd be forced out by some corporate owned farm who does it cheaper and with illegal labor.  Not to mention the need to buy only from one company for your seeds and not be able to save said seeds so you must buy new ones each and every year.  Talk about corruption and monopoly's. 

I'm totally against all of that.  We need to get back to basics. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 09:31:27 AM »
I'm totally against all of that.  We need to get back to basics. 

Not a chance of that happening 333.  The food industry lobby owns both parties.  Look at how many republicans own farms that get 'subsidies' and the like.  Look at how much Monsanto gives to dems and how much influence it has on food committees etc.  Its deplorable to think that one company can have so much unchecked control and power and that the very govt suppose to protect the people is in fact doing the opposite.
Abandon every hope...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 09:42:01 AM »
Austin is ranked as one of the best and most livable cities in the world.  Probably because it's a liberal place.  

There are always two sides to this 333.  One is yes those who should use their funds on food rather than cellphones, hair etc.  But then there are those who need the food stamps and who are missing out on their most basic human need - food.  These are the people we should be concerned about and it is those people who i think this is all about.
LOL its liberal for Texas, so take the term liberal with a grain of salt kc  ::)

its also a smaller city, the capital so state funds to get funneled to it and in a great area geography wise...it being a nice city has little to do with there being a lot of liberals in the area... ;)

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 09:52:07 AM »
LOL its liberal for Texas, so take the term liberal with a grain of salt kc  ::)

its also a smaller city, the capital so state funds to get funneled to it and in a great area geography wise...it being a nice city has little to do with there being a lot of liberals in the area... ;)

I found it to be pretty liberal Tony.  Not sure if you've spent much time there but i have a few friends in IT who work down there every now and then on a contract basis.  I've spent quite a bit of time visiting them and experiencing the city and to me it feels like a bit like a mini SF at times but with much better music and co eds  ;)
Abandon every hope...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
I found it to be pretty liberal Tony.  Not sure if you've spent much time there but i have a few friends in IT who work down there every now and then on a contract basis.  I've spent quite a bit of time visiting them and experiencing the city and to me it feels like a bit like a mini SF at times but with much better music and co eds  ;)
LOL the co eds are nice  ;D

ya ive spent a lot of time there have a few friends who graduated from UT and live in austin so I get up there often. I live in houston so its only about a 2 1/2 hour drive.

and Im not saying its not liberal while there are a good number of liberals there its still probably what I would consider moderate leaning left all the ppl I know that live there are conservatives though. What Im saying is that it being a nice city has little to do with the liberal inhabitants.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »
Personally, I found the city to be a bit too humid for my liking.
How one can endure that humidity day after day is beyond me.
it was especially bothersome because as a rule, I don't like a/c.

and Im not saying its not liberal while there are a good number of liberals there its still probably what I would consider moderate leaning left all the ppl I know that live there are conservatives though. What Im saying is that it being a nice city has little to do with the liberal inhabitants.

Nah, it's niceness has to do with it's tendency to lean left. Conservatives have been known to shit where they eat.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 12:19:01 PM »

Nah, it's niceness has to do with it's tendency to lean left. Conservatives have been known to shit where they eat.

You live in an igloo in the arctic.  Of course that is too hot for you. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 12:34:22 PM »
Unbelievable....  :o
S

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »

LOL you should come to Houston if you think austin humidity is bad, and ya it can certainly be a bitch especially during the summer

as for the 2nd comment you madam are an ignorant ass :P and everything you project and despise in conservatives is shown in your posts here  ::)