Author Topic: Gibbs: Limbaugh's Haiti comments 'really stupid'  (Read 2501 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Gibbs: Limbaugh's Haiti comments 'really stupid'
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »

Source: Washington Post/AP

WASHINGTON -- The White House is firing back at Rush Limbaugh after the conservative talk radio host urged people not to donate to relief efforts in Haiti.

Spokesman Robert Gibbs says there are always people who say "really stupid things" during a crisis. He says it's sad that Limbaugh would use the power of his pulpit to convince people not to assist those in need.

Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday that he wouldn't trust that money donated to Haiti through the White House Web site would actually go to the relief efforts. He said Americans don't need to contribute to earthquake relief because they already donate to Haiti through their income taxes. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Gibbs: Limbaugh's Haiti comments 'really stupid'
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »
A Letter to Rush Limbaugh From: Roger Ebert January 14, 2010

You should be horse-whipped for the insult you have paid to the highest office of our nation.

Having followed President Obama's suggestion and donated money to the Red Cross for relief in Haiti, I was offended to hear you suggest the President might be a thief capable of stealing money intended for the earthquake victims.

Here is a transcript from your program on Thursday:

Justin of Raleigh, North Carolina: "Why does Obama say if you want to donate some money, you could go to whitehouse.gov to direct you how to do so? If I wanted to donate to the Red Cross, why do I have to go to the White House page to donate?"

Limbaugh: "Exactly. Would you trust the money's gonna go to Haiti?"

Justin: "No."

Rush: "But would you trust that your name's gonna end up on a mailing list for the Obama people to start asking you for campaign donations for him and other causes?"

Justin: "Absolutely!"

Limbaugh: "Absolutely!"

That's what was said.

Unlike you and Justin of Raleigh, I went to Obama's web site, and discovered the link there leads directly to the Red Cross. I can think of a reason why anyone might want to go via the White House. That way they can be absolutely sure they're clicking on the Red Cross and not a fake site set up to exploit the tragedy.

But let me be sure I have this right. You and Justin agree that Obama might steal money intended for the Red Cross to help the wretched of Haiti.

This conversation came 48 hours after many of us had seen pitiful sights from Port au Prince. Tens of thousands are believed still alive beneath the rubble. You twisted their suffering into an opportunity to demean the character of the President of the United States.

This cannot have been an accident. A day earlier, a sound bite from your show went viral, in which you said Obama would exploit the situation to please his "black followers -- both the light-skinned and the dark-skinned ones."

Sen. Harry Reid made his careless comment thoughtlessly. Yours must have came after some thought. A one-liner in code to please your listeners who enjoy hearing African-Americans discussed in racist language. Yes, racist -- as anyone living in this country must realize.

You have a sizable listening audience. You apparently know how to please them. Anybody given a $400 million contract must know what he is doing.

That's what offends me. You know exactly what you're doing. 

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:35:30 PM »
I doubt the money would be used for other things yet I would trust Obama with ten of my dollars like I would trust Slick Willie with my ex-wife.

I fully support and agree with Rush and his comments.

I am only sorry that I only heard 20 minutes of today's program.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »
ANYONE who thinks the government can or has done anything correctly is a moron.Rush is 100% donate OUTSIDE of the filthy,dirty ,rotten government.Robert Gibbs has the brain the size of a pea.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:18:17 AM »
ANYONE who thinks the government can or has done anything correctly is a moron.Rush is 100% donate OUTSIDE of the filthy,dirty ,rotten government.Robert Gibbs has the brain the size of a pea.

Just like was Rush was 100% correct early on saying he hoped Obama fails, he probably will turn out right on this too. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:19:40 AM »
Limbaugh followers love the taste of Kool-aid. :)

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »
Limbaugh followers love the taste of Kool-aid. :)

Well Rush said give outside of the Gov website.I ask you,would you trust the government to do anything right.I dont.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:36:19 AM »
Well Rush said give outside of the Gov website.I ask you,would you trust the government to do anything right.I dont.

If you give though Obama's site, you will be on a list for the DNC and solicited for fundraising endlessly. 

Give to the red cross or something like that. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 09:41:12 AM »

There aren't many things the Govt cando right, regardless of what politics it claims. :)

Rush is a great entertainer and there's no way he made those statements without thought. That being said, people are still responsible for using their freaking brains every so often. If poor people think the president's race affects anything but their perceived intrinsic value of whiteness or self-esteem they're idiots.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
Robert Gibbs summed up in under 3 minutes:

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 10:19:32 AM »
Robert Gibbs summed up in under 3 minutes:

Stupid comments don't cancel each other out. :)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »
Well, with our stellar record of giving to Yasser Arafat the Palestinians, I can't imagine why anybody would be skeptical that the money will actually reach the people who need it most.   ::)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 11:10:18 AM »
If you give though Obama's site, you will be on a list for the DNC and solicited for fundraising endlessly. 

Give to the red cross or something like that. 

Nope.

www.whitehouse.gov. Click Haiti. Click the link to donate -> Direct to the redcross web site.

No email addys required for the govt site.

It's just a safe link to the redcross site as opposed to some scam site.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:51 AM »
Nope.

www.whitehouse.gov. Click Haiti. Click the link to donate -> Direct to the redcross web site.

No email addys required for the govt site.

It's just a safe link to the redcross site as opposed to some scam site.

I am going to go through my house and donate clothes and all sorts of shit, plus some $$$ this weekend. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 11:21:47 AM »
send them 9mm ammo.