Author Topic: Another Obama scam & fraud, Unions and Govt Workers exempt from ObamaCare Tax.  (Read 642 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Another rank deal
By RICH LOWRY
www.nypost.com

Last Updated: 7:12 AM, January 15, 2010

________________________ ________________________ _

What happens when the irresistible force of the Democratic urge to tax runs up against the immovable object of Democratic loyalty to the labor unions? Another ugly deal in a health-care bill that already was a grotesquerie of payoffs to favored politicians and interests.

The levy in question is a 40 percent excise tax on high-end employer-provided insurance plans that -- typically -- has been sold as a tax on "the rich." It's called the "Cadillac tax," a name redolent of corporate executives cackling in their Escalades over their cushy benefits.

The unions, which make it a point to negotiate generous insurance plans with their employers (to the point of bankrupting them), were chagrined to learn that for purposes of this tax, they're among the rich. They howled in terms that could have been drawn from Henry Hazlitt's free-market classic "Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics."
The excise tax is supposed to be paid by evil insurers and employers. Except in this one case affecting their self-interest directly, the unions see through the fiction and understand that the tax will trickle down onto them. How disorienting to hear unions implicitly recognize that corporations ultimately don't pay taxes, their customers and employees do.

"While the excise tax is slated to be imposed on the insurers on so-called high cost plans, the tax will be passed on to enrollees in the form of higher premiums, co-pays or reduced benefits," a coalition of public-employee unions wrote congressional leaders. "Characterizing this tax proposal as a 'Cadillac tax' is a misnomer. It hits the average blue collar and white collar employee."

The unions also bristled at a fairly typical trick of liberal taxation -- bracket creep. The Cadillac tax affects few people when it begins in 2013. Since it's not indexed to account for the ever-rising expense of health care, though, it will catch more and more people over time.

This is why New York Times columnist Bob Herbert called it "a middle-class tax time bomb," and Nancy Pelosi made an oblique reference to President Obama breaking his promise not to increase taxes for anyone making less than $250,000 a year. Obama's support for the Cadillac tax not only violates that forlorn pledge, but also directly contradicts one of his chief lines of attack against John McCain in the 2008 campaign.

McCain wanted to end the tax exemption for employer-provided insurance coverage and compensate people with a tax credit to buy their own plans -- a systematic approach to controlling costs and increasing choice. Obama's plan will increase costs and reduce choice, but he needs $150 billion in revenue over 10 years to try to make it look deficit-neutral so he's -- as he put it in his unrelenting anti-McCain ads -- "taxing health benefits for the first time in history."

But pressure from the unions has now forced the White House to agree to raise the $23,000-per-household threshold of the tax slightly and -- more importantly -- exempt insurance plans that are the product of collective-bargaining agreements until 2018. This Labor Loophole stands in the finest tradition of the Louisiana Purchase and the Cornhusker Kickback. With no possible public-policy justification, it puts the awesome power to tax and spend at the service of nakedly political ends.

Oliver Wendell Holmes famously said that taxes are the price of civilization. In this case, taxes are the price of not belonging to a group that pours countless millions of dollars into the Democratic coffers. Under the Cadillac tax, there's one set of rules for the Service Employees International Union and another for everyone else.

Obama is currently haranguing the banks so he doesn't get pegged as a "Wall Street Liberal." The more dangerous rubric for him is a "Washington Liberal," a politician knee-deep in the special-interest politics of the Beltway as he pushes an unpopular agenda of rapid government expansion. Obama's style of politics has gone from inspiring to revolting in the space of a year.

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc.

nypost.com , nypostonline.com , and newyorkpost.com are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc.

Copyright 2009 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy | Terms of Use

________________________ ________________________ _____________________

Obviously this is horrific and unconstitutional IMHO.  Barry is a POFS.

However, Lowry references one of the best books I ever read on economics that you should all read.  Hazzlitt's book is a masterpiece. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
This is THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS thing these libs have done BY FAR!!!!This is criminal!!!This black goof ball will give unions a pass but go back and rape banks that already paid back tarp money with interest.Outrageous,disgracefull and disgusting!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I swear anyone who voted for this Mugabe wannabe needs to be drowned.   

Skip8282

• Getbig V
This preferential shit is sooo wrong.  Is there anybody not getting bribed or strong-armed to get this POS bill through?

This is going to affect huge amounts of middle class Americans.  That $23,000 is a total of you and your employer.  If you pay $450 or so bi-weekly for benes and your employer tosses in the other $450, you just found yourself labeled as the owner of a "Cadillac" plan.  If your not close to that, you will be soon because the $23,000 is not a figure that will continue to rise like your contributions.

I really, really hope this whole thing collapses some how, but I'm skeptical.

James

If this piece of shit becomes Law, Everyone who voted for it needs to be voted out, no matter what, no questions asked.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
"This is THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS thing these libs have done BY FAR!!!!"

hahahahahah I agree with you there!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
"This is THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS thing these libs have done BY FAR!!!!"

hahahahahah I agree with you there!

No one can defend this. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
actually, once i finish giving al gore this back rub and kneepadding joe biden, i'll find a viewpoint which justifies this POS. I will present it, then be called every name in the book for it :P

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
actually, once i finish giving al gore this back rub and kneepadding joe biden, i'll find a viewpoint which justifies this POS. I will present it, then be called every name in the book for it :P

And deservedly so.  You kneepadded the stim bill to no end and look how that ended up? 

When are you going to realize that what many of us said early on about this admn is the damn truth 240? 

Even Newt conceeded last night to Hannity than he was wrong on Obama's true nature. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Dude, this is really, really appauling.  This administration backed down from the trial lawyers, insurance industry and now the unions.  Even hard core democrats can't possibly support what is going on.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Dude, this is really, really appauling.  This administration backed down from the trial lawyers, insurance industry and now the unions.  Even hard core democrats can't possibly support what is going on.

Notice the kneepadders have been silent on this? 

This is utterly disgraceful. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
The first article 333 posted is right on.  That should be front page along with Haiti.  How lucky for the administration there is a world tragedy that take the focus off their kickback to the unions.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The first article 333 posted is right on.  That should be front page along with Haiti.  How lucky for the administration there is a world tragedy that take the focus off their kickback to the unions.

The culture of Obama's corruption is making Maddoff look clean.