Author Topic: Should we accept people from Haiti as refugees and give them legal status?  (Read 3463 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Should we accept people from Haiti as refugees and give them legal status?
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2010, 05:14:57 AM »
No legal status. Stay out. Go to Europe or Latin America.

This mess is going to have bad ramifications for years and years to come. 

Hopefully Castro, Chavez, Bolivia, Peru, and all the other big mouths can show us what real generoisty is and take these people in. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
I'm all for giving them medical attention but I'm betting most of them would just stick around after the fact.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2010, 10:32:17 AM »
I'm all for giving them medical attention but I'm betting most of them would just stick around after the fact.

And scream for education, driver licenses, welfare, health care, etc. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2010, 02:13:30 PM »
If anyone of them are able to get their asses over here, we should take them as well of course.

It's wrong to think that only the nearby countries should help.

But even we who are far away are trying.

Right now charities in Sweden have raised circa $20 million for the victims in Haiti.

So the support for the Haiti people is strong.

As it should be.

Hopefully, the help that gets there will reach those in need.

This disaster is beyond comprehension. And it's happening to a society that is so poor, without morals, without rules.

It will be complete mayhem unless USA steps in like they are right now.

It's perhaps not "theoretically" right.

But it is the only viable solution.

Because Haiti isn't able to sustain itself.

Should we just stand by and watch it erode`instead because some leftist apologists are stiff about USA?

All we can do is pray that Obama won't succumb to the corporations...  ::)

At least with Chavez and his goons around, perhaps there will be some balance.
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2010, 03:14:53 PM »
Something tells me they'll be lucky to receive .01% of what is being raised for them.

Ok...

Lets say 5 Billion dollars are raised.

So the Haitians should consider themselves lucky if they receive fifty thousand dollars?  ???

Do you have any example of where a big public fund raising for a disaster have only been able to deliver a measly .01% to the needy?
As empty as paradise

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
I wonder what it typically is.  Is it 80% or 20%?  What percentage of moneys received typically makes it to those in need?

About 20 years ago in California they had people going door to door collecting funds for various charities and they solicitors were allowed to keep 50% of what ever they collected.  That was ended quickly.

But to think only .01% would be received is stupid and probably just a sarcastic comment.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »
lol. No doubt I know where you're coming from regarding the Red Cross. They were revealed and scolded in media here just a few months ago. So I am sure they've cleaned up their act at least here in Sweden. They got good transparency. It's a different story at the arrival sites still I gather.
But I honestly think that media can keep them honest. That's media's job.
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »
are you saying that with a straight face :D
We don't get fed the Fox bullshit here. Even CNN is filled with a lot of bullshit 'opinionated' experts. Have mercy. And the news are packaged in easy-to-digest bites.
God forbid they would air a segment that was longer than 2 minutes. That would be challenging for all dumbasses.
So you're right I guess. Lol.
As empty as paradise

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2010, 05:23:33 PM »
I have no idea what actual percent will get to them.  Stating the number was sarcasm based on past misuse of monies raised.  Just look at how the red cross usually do things.  They raise the money advertising that the money raised will go to the cause, in this case, the people in Haiti affected.  What they're not telling you is that they'll only be giving them a portion of the money raised and keeping the rest.  They've done that time and time again.  Most of the money being raised in America is through the red cross.  In other areas we've all heard the horror stories about charity administration fees chopping the shit out of the amount donated.  We've also heard all the stories of money and aid making it to the country and being absorbed through corruption but never making it to the people.  After decades of watching this kind of crap happen, I wouldn't be shocked if the reality is that the amount received is a fraction of the amount raised.  Yea, hope I'm wrong.

I don't know what kind of changes they've made, but I'm sure we all remember the Red Cross fiasco after 9/11.  People have every reason to be concerned that only a small portion of their donations will actually reach the people who need it most.  I think you're dead-on.