Author Topic: Barney Frank: Health Care Reform DOA if Brown wins Mass Senate Seat  (Read 1886 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
January 15, 2010
Categories:Senate
Frank: Health reform dead if Coakley loses
www.politico.com

________________________ ________________________ _________

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) said Friday that if Republicans prevail the Massachusetts Senate seat, health care reform is dead.

"If Scott Brown wins, it'll kill the health bill," Frank told reporters, although he added that he thought Democrat Martha Coakley would defeat Brown.

Losing the Massachusetts race presents a nightmare scenario for Democrats, many of whom would want to pass the legislation before Brown is seated. But Democrats would face an onslaught of criticism from Republicans, as well as cold feet from rank and file.

And the party isn't united on what exactly would happen following a defeat.

Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), chairman of the Senate health committee, disputed Frank's prediction, saying Democrats would pass a bill.

"Well, those are kind of apocalyptic terms. I still think there is a wellspring of support in this country for doing something about health care because people are losing their health care every day, thousands every day. All these things are out there, so the momentum is still there for getting a health care bill."

Either way, the second-guessing has begun. Frank said Coakley should have campaigned harder for the seat held by Ted Kennedy, who passed away last summer.

Posted by Carrie Budoff Brown 02:45 PM

________________________ ________________________ _____________ 

If for no other reason than killing HCR, Brown deserves to win this thing. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Barney Frank: Health Care Reform DOA if Brown wins Mass Senate Seat
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:35:30 AM »
January 15, 2010
Categories:Senate
Frank: Health reform dead if Coakley loses
www.politico.com

________________________ ________________________ _________

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) said Friday that if Republicans prevail the Massachusetts Senate seat, health care reform is dead.

"If Scott Brown wins, it'll kill the health bill," Frank told reporters, although he added that he thought Democrat Martha Coakley would defeat Brown.

Losing the Massachusetts race presents a nightmare scenario for Democrats, many of whom would want to pass the legislation before Brown is seated. But Democrats would face an onslaught of criticism from Republicans, as well as cold feet from rank and file.

And the party isn't united on what exactly would happen following a defeat.

Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), chairman of the Senate health committee, disputed Frank's prediction, saying Democrats would pass a bill.

"Well, those are kind of apocalyptic terms. I still think there is a wellspring of support in this country for doing something about health care because people are losing their health care every day, thousands every day. All these things are out there, so the momentum is still there for getting a health care bill."

Either way, the second-guessing has begun. Frank said Coakley should have campaigned harder for the seat held by Ted Kennedy, who passed away last summer.

Posted by Carrie Budoff Brown 02:45 PM

________________________ ________________________ _____________ 

If for no other reason than killing HCR, Brown deserves to win this thing. 

If Brown wins, the questions then become:

1) Will the Dems try the nuclear option?

2) Will they try to stall Brown's appointment, if he wins, and rush a vote before he's officially in that seat?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:38:07 AM »
If Brown wins, the questions then become:

1) Will the Dems try the nuclear option?

2) Will they try to stall Brown's appointment, if he wins, and rush a vote before he's officially in that seat?

They'd better not!

You think people are pissed off now...

But you're right. That is the kind of ass-hole stunt they would pull.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:42:39 AM »
But, technically, even if they stall Brown’s app., wouldn’t they still fall short of the 60?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 07:45:50 AM »
But, technically, even if they stall Brown’s app., wouldn’t they still fall short of the 60?

I still have not heard one good argument for this health care bill.  not one. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 07:47:20 AM »
"Good," being the key word.

Plenty of nonsensical ones going around, though.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »

Yep, and it's their own fault, due to a rule they made up. Once the polls close in Mass. interim Senator, Paul Kirk, is GONE from his seat.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 07:49:51 AM »
Yep, and it's their own fault, due to a rule they made up. Once the polls close in Mass. interim Senator, Paul Kirk, is GONE from his seat.

Once the polls close, hopefully obamacare, crap & tax, and a whole host of other insane policies are GONE too. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 07:53:16 AM »
Good Q: If this HCR is so good, then why do I have to be threatened with fines & incarceration if I refuse to participate?

Better Q: If it’s so good, then why do even so many of the people who voted for “O” oppose it?

Best Q: if people are/were so much against it, why did they vote for him to begin with?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 07:55:21 AM »
Good Q: If this HCR is so good, then why do I have to be threatened with fines & incarceration if I refuse to participate?

Better Q: If it’s so good, then why do even so many of the people who voted for “O” oppose it?

Best Q: if people are/were so much against it, why did they vote for him to begin with?

How about this question - if the Health Care Bill is so good, why is Obamarx and the Dems promising to explain how good it is AFTER it is signed into law? 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 08:00:41 AM »

I think the majority want health reform, but nobody expected this type of injustice.  In fact, it's run completely counter to everything Obama said.  Ridiculous blatant bribes, selling out to big Pharma, etc.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 08:02:24 AM »
How about this question - if the Health Care Bill is so good, why is Obamarx and the Dems promising to explain how good it is AFTER it is signed into law? 

Or why Obama's union buddies have sweetheart deals to AVOID the sodomiz.....(ahem).....tax increases that will be levied on to the rest of us (notwithstanding that home boy promised that 95% of Americans' taxes would not increase "one dime")?

Why are Obama and his buddies, hiding like scared little girls in the middle of the night. trying to pass this mess, instead of putting it to open debate on C-Span, as Obama stated FOR TWO YEARS?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:21 AM »

Because it would coincide with the rest of the first year of his term – full of all kinds of hidden “gems” that only surprisingly manifest after being voted on.

I think the majority want health reform, but nobody expected this type of injustice.  In fact, it's run completely counter to everything Obama said.  Ridiculous blatant bribes, selling out to big Pharma, etc.

I agree that changes need to be made, but these are not the changes.
If they’d simply add a public option provision for EVERYBODY, I think fewer people would resent this so much.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 08:13:24 AM »
Because it would coincide with the rest of the first year of his term – full of all kinds of hidden “gems” that only surprisingly manifest after being voted on.

I agree that changes need to be made, but these are not the changes.
If they’d simply add a public option provision for EVERYBODY, I think fewer people would resent this so much.

Ha ha!!!  Changes?  This is a complete nightmare of corruption, bribes, lies, taxes, regulations, etc.