Author Topic: How fit are getbiggers?  (Read 9184 times)

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
Gracie Rules

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
Re: How fit are getbiggers?
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »

http://store.gameness.com/Gis_c_27.html

You are 190cm at 91kg bw?  ::) At that height you are still a twink... I am 180cm at 106kg and I can still play an entire 90min soccer game, or hit the bag for 3 min in a row with high intensity... not bad for a powerlifter... ;)
S

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2010, 07:43:44 PM »
You are 190cm at 91kg bw?  ::) At that height you are still a twink... I am 180cm at 106kg and I can still play an entire 90min soccer game, or hit the bag for 3 min in a row with high intensity... not bad for a powerlifter... ;)

That was to give you an idea of my size.

If you compare me to  power lifter or bodybuilder  I'm a small guy.

I'm a BJJ guy, I don't need to be big.

BTW: I'm 5/10  225.

Playing as a  goal keeper that's easy. ::)

Gracie Rules

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2010, 08:18:40 PM »
Ran 5 miles in 29 mins the other day. Not outstanding, but I'll take it.
P

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2010, 08:30:41 PM »

i think u are a good guy

but I call extreme bullshit

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2010, 08:32:07 PM »
do u mean kilometers? no way you ran a 6 minute mile consistently for that long.
follow the arrows

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2010, 08:39:08 PM »

A lot of hard core guys here. I had no idea. I thought most were the do a half ass set and look at your watch so you can rest the full 2 minutes type. How do you find the time and energy to do such high intensity cardio in addition to weight training? And, more importantly, what keeps you motivated to want to be in such extraordinary shape? I can understand those that compete in a sport like GJJ but you don't need to push yourself like that just to have a way above average body. Weight training and diet will do that.

Weight training is nothing to me because muscle pain and burn is nothing compared to sucking wind. You guys make me feel like a lazy slob. But you've actually motivated me. I use to like doing sprints but my knees can't take it anymore. I use to run this sand hill in Manhattan Beach, Ca. It was perfect because it was soft sand and up hill. No pounding on the knees. And it really made me suck wind.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2010, 08:41:46 PM »

That was to give you an idea of my size.

If you compare me to  power lifter or bodybuilder  I'm a small guy.

I'm a BJJ guy, I don't need to be big.

BTW: I'm 5/10  225.

Playing as a  goal keeper that's easy. ::)

GJJ, what kind of cardio do you do for BJJ. For me the best was simply rolling until dead.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2010, 08:52:15 PM »
tabata running in the AM on mon,weds,fri and saturday
tabata circuit (burpees/burpee variations, kettlebell stuff, cleans, snatch) after PM weight workouts which is 4 times a week so there will be days that i do the tabata protocol twice a day however this is not necessary- i'm just nuts

So then you should have no problem with this......

Here's the gist of our advanced strongman camp. This is done in a circuit with no longer than 30sec between exercises and no more than 2mins between rounds. We do 4 rounds.

Foam rolling

Dynamic warm up w/active stretch - 15-20min

Single exercise - Box jumps on stacked tires (46") 3 x 5

Begin circuit;

Tire fights (700lb tire)

Sledgehammer lateral swings on tire 10x's each side

Tire flips (400lbs) 10 flips

Keg walk 40yards approx 150lbs

Truck push 1 ton truck -40 yards

Backwards sled drag w/3" dia rope 260lbs 40 yards

Farmers carries 75-100lbs - 40 yards

Backwards tire toss - 5 x's

2 min rest - repeat

immediately after 4 round is complete, 1 mile run for time

Approximately 12-1400 cal burned and continues burning for about the next 24 hours.

So.......that being said, there is NO easy way. Tabata is a great workout..for the short term to turn clients on and make then think your a "fitness" guru. But 4 mins a day ain't going to cut it. I'll take my 20-25min intervals. There is no replacement for hard work.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »
GJJ, what kind of cardio do you do for BJJ. For me the best was simply rolling until dead.

*Dry sand, *stairs, rolling and some of the stuff that JME posted.

* with weights.

By the way... new joke in Brazil, when you about to choke someone we start screaming " make the bond"
 From Avatar.
 Here's the scene he submit the animal using BJJ.

Fighting the animal and crossing the legs, was kind ok. choking someone from behind you shouldn't.

Gracie Rules

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2010, 09:17:27 PM »
I swim during the summer. Right now a walk with the dogs makes me huff and puff, but in the summer I'll swim Butterfly non-stop for 30 minutes.

I eat clean most all of the time, or eat just enough to meet metabolic needs so I never look out of shape, but the cardio in the winter will make me dizzy enough to say "fuck this!"

I'm one of those guys who gets depleted and flat real quick with cardio.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »
So then you should have no problem with this......

Here's the gist of our advanced strongman camp. This is done in a circuit with no longer than 30sec between exercises and no more than 2mins between rounds. We do 4 rounds.

Foam rolling

Dynamic warm up w/active stretch - 15-20min

Single exercise - Box jumps on stacked tires (46") 3 x 5

Begin circuit;

Tire fights (700lb tire)

Sledgehammer lateral swings on tire 10x's each side

Tire flips (400lbs) 10 flips

Keg walk 40yards approx 150lbs

Truck push 1 ton truck -40 yards

Backwards sled drag w/3" dia rope 260lbs 40 yards

Farmers carries 75-100lbs - 40 yards

Backwards tire toss - 5 x's

2 min rest - repeat

immediately after 4 round is complete, 1 mile run for time

Approximately 12-1400 cal burned and continues burning for about the next 24 hours.

So.......that being said, there is NO easy way. Tabata is a great workout..for the short term to turn clients on and make then think your a "fitness" guru. But 4 mins a day ain't going to cut it. I'll take my 20-25min intervals. There is no replacement for hard work.

I stole that pic from Sand Dune Park from you coach. Wish I could have join you guys the last time you were there. I use to train at R1 (use to called rAw) on El Segundo Bl. So the park wasn't far at all. I remember I couldn't even walk up that hill the first time. Eventually I could run up and down around 6 or 7 times and then run half way up and run/walk the rest of the way for another 6 times or so. Then I'd do some sprints back and forth going as far as I can which towards the end was maybe 15 steps or so

I use to love being out in the hot sun, bare foot, running in the sand. No way I could do your program. I'll admit that without shame. Too old for that dynamic stuff. Would love to train at your gym, though. And I promise not to get in the way.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »
A lot of hard core guys here. I had no idea. I thought most were the do a half ass set and look at your watch so you can rest the full 2 minutes type. How do you find the time and energy to do such high intensity cardio in addition to weight training? And, more importantly, what keeps you motivated to want to be in such extraordinary shape? I can understand those that compete in a sport like GJJ but you don't need to push yourself like that just to have a way above average body. Weight training and diet will do that.

Weight training is nothing to me because muscle pain and burn is nothing compared to sucking wind. You guys make me feel like a lazy slob. But you've actually motivated me. I use to like doing sprints but my knees can't take it anymore. I use to run this sand hill in Manhattan Beach, Ca. It was perfect because it was soft sand and up hill. No pounding on the knees. And it really made me suck wind.

We go there usually during the summer. But now you have to make reservations to get on the hill. Now we switched locations and now go down to Long Beach.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »

*Dry sand, *stairs, rolling and some of the stuff that JME posted.

* with weights.

By the way... new joke in Brazil, when you about to choke someone we start screaming " make the bond"
 From Avatar.
 Here's the scene he submit the animal using BJJ.

Fighting the animal and crossing the legs, was kind ok. choking someone from behind you shouldn't.

The Avatar scene didn't come out.

Hey where do you train now? I'm at a small club in Kaneohe, Hawaii. Just mess around nogi only now. I started at the Torrance Academy when it first opened up in 1991. I remember vividly as I walked in there Rorion jump from his chair, came to me, warmly shook my hand and said "How are you, my friend." After hanging with Brasilians for so many years I got the impression that in English language school they taught you to call everybody, "My friend." I even do it now, "my friend."

The first thing that struck me about Rorion was that he reminded me of an ethnic Tom Selleck. Being from Hawaii I was a big fan of Magnum PI. Rorion I thought was the best teacher because he was very technical and communicated the best. Rickson, Royler and Royce still were not English experts. After the free intro lesson from Rorion my first official lesson was with Royce. I remember thinking how pathetically skinny he was. The first thing he told me was that "In Jiu-Jitsu we always assume are opponent is bigger and stronger than we are." I remember thinking "Yeah right, spare me the size doesn't matter B.S." I was reminded by that many years later when Royce fought Akebono who out weighed him by what? 200 pounds?

When Rickson left to start his own school in West LA I went with him. I use to take an hour privates with him for about two years in addition to the group class. The guy was something else. When he started fighting more in Japan and Limao was teaching most of the classes I move to the Machado's which was just down the street from me. They had a stacked house: Rigan, Jean-Jacques, Carlos, Roger, John and some top guys like Bob Bass and Fernando Vascusuelos (who everyone at the time was saying was the next Rickson). Those were the glory days then. Little did we know how much things would blow up today.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:14 PM »
We go there usually during the summer. But now you have to make reservations to get on the hill. Now we switched locations and now go down to Long Beach.

Reservations??? WTF?! 

There was always an ongoing battle there between the residents and the runners. To tell you the truth, I don't blame the people who lived around the park. They work their asses off to afford that million dollar property only to have ghetto punks blasting their f-ing rap and swearing like nobody's business. Imagine you having breakfast with your little daughter and these hoods rats pull up right in front of your house blasting obscene gangsta rap. Not one microscopic scintilla of consideration for others. And they couldn't just run and train like normal people. It was always "come on, n*gga. N*gga this, n*gga that. It use to piss me off. I remember once telling some of the guys to cool it with swearing because there were little kids in the park (under the Mexican nannies watchful eyes). One of the guys just look at me and said, "Bitch please. Don't even."

What are you going to do? They spoiled it for everybody. 

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2010, 10:22:33 PM »
The Avatar scene didn't come out.

Hey where do you train now? I'm at a small club in Kaneohe, Hawaii. Just mess around nogi only now. I started at the Torrance Academy when it first opened up in 1991. I remember vividly as I walked in there Rorion jump from his chair, came to me, warmly shook my hand and said "How are you, my friend." After hanging with Brasilians for so many years I got the impression that in English language school they taught you to call everybody, "My friend." I even do it now, "my friend."

The first thing that struck me about Rorion was that he reminded me of an ethnic Tom Selleck. Being from Hawaii I was a big fan of Magnum PI. Rorion I thought was the best teacher because he was very technical and communicated the best. Rickson, Royler and Royce still were not English experts. After the free intro lesson from Rorion my first official lesson was with Royce. I remember thinking how pathetically skinny he was. The first thing he told me was that "In Jiu-Jitsu we always assume are opponent is bigger and stronger than we are." I remember thinking "Yeah right, spare me the size doesn't matter B.S." I was reminded by that many years later when Royce fought Akebono who out weighed him by what? 200 pounds?

When Rickson left to start his own school in West LA I went with him. I use to take an hour privates with him for about two years in addition to the group class. The guy was something else. When he started fighting more in Japan and Limao was teaching most of the classes I move to the Machado's which was just down the street from me. They had a stacked house: Rigan, Jean-Jacques, Carlos, Roger, John and some top guys like Bob Bass and Fernando Vascusuelos (who everyone at the time was saying was the next Rickson). Those were the glory days then. Little did we know how much things would blow up today.

Around.

Try this one if doesn't start just double click on it. and watch on youtube.

Gracie Rules

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2010, 10:25:56 PM »
Reservations??? WTF?! 

There was always an ongoing battle there between the residents and the runners. To tell you the truth, I don't blame the people who lived around the park. They work their asses off to afford that million dollar property only to have ghetto punks blasting their f-ing rap and swearing like nobody's business. Imagine you having breakfast with your little daughter and these hoods rats pull up right in front of your house blasting obscene gangsta rap. Not one microscopic scintilla of consideration for others. And they couldn't just run and train like normal people. It was always "come on, n*gga. N*gga this, n*gga that. It use to piss me off. I remember once telling some of the guys to cool it with swearing because there were little kids in the park (under the Mexican nannies watchful eyes). One of the guys just look at me and said, "Bitch please. Don't even."

What are you going to do? They spoiled it for everybody. 

The alternative is, at least on the weekends, is to go down to long beach down on Ocean Blvd there are stairs that go down from the board walk on Ocean blvd to the boardwalk on the sand, about 600 steps I believe. There are about 6 sets of stairs like that. I already set the program. It was just getting too crowded so the city clamped down. (sand dune park)

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
The alternative is, at least on the weekends, is to go down to long beach down on Ocean Blvd there are stairs that go down from the board walk on Ocean blvd to the boardwalk on the sand, about 600 steps I believe. There are about 6 sets of stairs like that. I already set the program. It was just getting too crowded so the city clamped down. (sand dune park)

Stairs still bother my knees. I'm an old cripple. The sand hill was just perfect.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2010, 11:10:09 PM »

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2010, 01:58:33 AM »
i think u are a good guy

but I call extreme bullshit

Ok so I was roughly converting kilometres to miles for you backwards yanks....

I ran 7km - 4.349598 miles in 29 mins.
P

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2010, 02:03:21 AM »
Ok so I was roughly converting kilometres to miles for you backwards yanks....

I ran 7km - 4.349598 miles in 29 mins.

yes because I am a Yank   ::) ::) ::)

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2010, 02:07:23 AM »
yes because I am a Yank   ::) ::) ::)

:D

I got called an Aussie by plenty of Canadians when I was overseas.
P

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2010, 02:12:21 AM »
Running is for poofs

PRIVATE RYAN

• Getbig II
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »
I get spleen pains from
reading sport mags

allpumpedup

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 02:40:56 AM »

hahaha yeah right.  it's hard to believe you aren't stretching the truth.