Author Topic: UCLA Law Professor: Alito was rude but right on the Law  (Read 2401 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
UCLA Law Professor: Alito was rude but right on the Law
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »
Adam Winkler
Professor at UCLA School of Law
www.huffingtonpost.com
Posted: January 28, 2010 10:51 AM BIO Become a Fan Get Email Alerts Bloggers' Index
Alito Was Rude (But Right)

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito made headlines last night when he nodded and mouthed "It's not true" in response to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address. Facing six of the nine Justices, who were sitting right up front, Obama criticized the recent landmark Supreme Court decision striking down limits on corporate political speech.

Alito was right. The president was wrong about the Supreme Court decision. Obama said, "Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests, including foreign corporations, to spend without limit in our elections."

Halfway through this sentence, Alito started to nod vigorously to express his disagreement. Then he mouthed, "It's not true." Some people are saying that Alito is this year's Joe Wilson, who infamously shouted, "You lie" during an Obama speech to Congress.

There are a lot of grounds to criticize the Supreme Court's campaign finance decision. It will allow corporations to spend shareholder money to influence the election of candidates many of those shareholders don't support. And it does open up a loophole that allows foreign corporations to influence federal elections through their U.S. subsidiaries.

But the Court did not overturn "a century of law." The provision upended by the Court was only seven years old. It was a novel innovation of the McCain-Feingold campaign finance law adopted during the Bush Administration.

There is "a century of law" restricting direct corporate contributions to candidates. Last week's decision didn't address that law. While the logic of the opinion -- which says corporate speech is entitled to the same protection as individual speech -- calls into question the corporate contribution ban, it doesn't overturn it. And the Court has traditionally treated direct contributions differently from so-called "independent expenditures" -- ads that discuss candidates but financed by private parties without the candidate's help.

Alito may have been right on the facts, but his nodding was still remarkably bad form.

Longstanding tradition holds that Supreme Court Justices sit silently during the State of the Union. Unlike the senators and representatives, they don't stand up and clap for things they agree with. The Justices are supposed to stay about the political fray.

If Justices shouldn't stand and clap when they agree, they shouldn't nod vigorously and mouth their disagreement when they think the president is wrong. Staying above the fray goes both ways.

You know Washington has become way too partisan when Supreme Court Justices can't even control themselves.

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _________

And the Reader-in-Chief shouldnt be making up lies with a capitve audience he knows cant directly address his lies. 

Obama was his usual crude self with that phony remark. 

Good for Alito. 

YOU LIE!!!!

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
Re: UCLA Law Professor: Alito was rude but right on the Law
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:40:09 PM »
 ::)

get a grip man...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »

get a grip man...

I have a very good grip.  CFR was one of my biggest issues with the Bush admn who knew at the time that McCain Feingold was clearly unconstitutional at the time he signed that farce.  Everyone with a "grip" and any semblence of knowing Con. Law knew that CFR was going to get overturned. 

It was a political hack move by GWB and McLame against the Constitution.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:43:55 PM »
Abandon every hope...

James

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »

Right wing croonies

Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »

You don't even believe in the Constitution so what do you care?

Its utterly amazing to me, liberals think there are Constutional rights to abortion, gay marriage, health care, etc, NONE OF WHICH ARE IN THE CONSTITUTION,

YET

Have no problem whatsoever imposing restrictions, mandates, curbs, and infringements on rights clearly elucidated in the BOR.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
You don't even believe in the Constitution so what do you care?

Its utterly amazing to me, liberals think there are Constutional rights to abortion, gay marriage, health care, etc, NONE OF WHICH ARE IN THE CONSTITUTION,

YET

Have no problem whatsoever imposing restrictions, mandates, curbs, and infringements on rights clearly elucidated in the BOR.

Yes lets torture, kill without trial and enact patriot act laws because they are all in the constitution too  ::)
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »

Right wing croonies

So now the NYT and UCLA are part of the VRWC?  

BTW - even the ACLU sided with the Supreme court in this case, not that you care since you dont even believe in the Constitution to begin with.  

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
So now the NYT and UCLA are part of the VRWC?  

BTW - even the ACLU sided with the Supreme court in this case, not that you care since you dont even believe in the Constitution to begin with.  

Abandon every hope...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 12:59:48 PM »

Your argument has been blown to shreds.You say "right wing cronies" then report what the Obama administration says about Obamas words.Are you joking?

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
Your argument has been blown to shreds.You say "right wing cronies" then report what the Obama administration says about Obamas words.Are you joking?

There was no argument to begin with, the whole thing is based on some dumbass who wrote an article that didn't bother to fact check anything. Am I surpised that the libs jumped all over this without doing any research themselves? Of course not, the best we get is 10 post of  ::)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 01:26:43 PM »
There was no argument to begin with, the whole thing is based on some dumbass who wrote an article that didn't bother to fact check anything. Am I surpised that the libs jumped all over this without doing any research themselves? Of course not, the best we get is 10 post of  ::)

Abandon every hope...

Kazan

• Getbig V
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 01:32:28 PM »

KC, do me a favor educate yourself.  Start with these.  

1.  Economics 101 by Hazzlett
2.  Road to Serfdom by Hayek
3.  Basic Economics - Sowell
4.  Crash Proof - Schiff
5.  Liberty & Tyranny - Levin

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
Rude is the president bitch slapping the supreme court right in front of them and the nation.  Inappropriate.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »
Rude is the president bitch slapping the supreme court right in front of them and the nation.  Inappropriate.

It was rude because he knew that they could not properly respond to his false attacks in that forum.

He is a coward, a punk, a bitch, a fraud, and little fag.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
kc, you think it was appropriate for the president to insult the supreme court decision in the state of the union address?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
I find it hysterical that the former constitutional law professor who went to HARVARD that some of you guys are so impressed with, got the law wrong during his state of the union address in front of the Supreme Court justices with the entire country watching.

I don't think Alito was rude at all-- He didn't jump out of his chair and yell. Just because he's a Supreme Court justice doesn't mean he has forefited his right to disagree with the president-- especially when it comes to an issue in which he clearly has superior knowledge.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 03:11:51 PM »
I find it hysterical that the former constitutional law professor who went to HARVARD that some of you guys are so impressed with, got the law wrong during his state of the union address in front of the Supreme Court justices with the entire country watching.

I don't think Alito was rude at all-- He didn't jump out of his chair and yell. Just because he's a Supreme Court justice doesn't mean he has forefited his right to disagree with the president-- especially when it comes to an issue in which he clearly has superior knowledge.

GW - one of my biggest complaints with GWB and McCain was CFR.  I knew when they passed that mess that it did not pass constitutional muster as a clear violation of the 1st Amendment. 

Obama is a punk for doing what he did since he knew that they could not refute his lies in that forum. 

Typical left wing cowardice. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
Agreed George, I don't think Alito was rude...not when someone attacks you like that in front of the nation.  If he stood up or yelled, that's going too far.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »
Agreed George, I don't think Alito was rude...not when someone attacks you like that in front of the nation.  If he stood up or yelled, that's going too far.

I don't think he was rude but Obama was is complete nonsense.  What a joke you are shoot.  Just come out and say it.  You do not like the president and never have.  You try to pretend to the world you are 'moderate' but you are anything but.  It wasn't rude from Obama, it's not his job to please the supreme court.  Alito's job is to stfu and not comment on political issues during a presidential speech.  That much is obvious. 
Abandon every hope...

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 09:29:13 AM »
I don't think he was rude but Obama was is complete nonsense.  What a joke you are shoot.  Just come out and say it.  You do not like the president and never have.  You try to pretend to the world you are 'moderate' but you are anything but.  It wasn't rude from Obama, it's not his job to please the supreme court.  Alito's job is to stfu and not comment on political issues during a presidential speech.  That much is obvious. 

More BS from you what a surprise, the SC justices are not required to attend the SOTU address, it is done out of respect for the office of POTUS. Now the least the POTUS can do is show the same respect. Funny how you asshats always try to turn the fact the Obama either doesn't know constitutional law or is fucking lying through, his teeth into some you don't like Obama BS.

I am feed up with you fucking assholes, 99% of the time you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about and just come in a throw shit on the wall like a monkey at the zoo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 09:32:48 AM »

There are three equal branches of government.Its not Obamas job to comment on another branch of government on a subject he is out of his league on.It was outrageous and disgusting but expected from this community organiser.Thats what community organisers do,they rabble rouse.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 09:37:07 AM »
More BS from you what a surprise, the SC justices are not required to attend the SOTU address, it is done out of respect for the office of POTUS. Now the least the POTUS can do is show the same respect. Funny how you asshats always try to turn the fact the Obama either doesn't know constitutional law or is fucking lying through, his teeth into some you don't like Obama BS.

I am feed up with you fucking assholes, 99% of the time you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about and just come in a throw shit on the wall like a monkey at the zoo.

Why is it disrespectful to disagree with the SC justices?  You're making this an issue that it isn't.  Obama and his admin (and the dems) interpret the ruling one way, the SC justices another.  If they pass the amendment it's not going to matter.  Problem solved.  There is no lack of respect here at all, just people wanting to stir sh*t and Alito making a bad judgement call on his part. 
Abandon every hope...