Author Topic: Vt nuke plant leaks renew debate over aging plants  (Read 700 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Vt nuke plant leaks renew debate over aging plants
« on: February 02, 2010, 03:34:47 AM »
MONTPELIER, Vt. – Radioactive tritium, a carcinogen discovered in potentially dangerous levels in groundwater at the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant, has now tainted at least 27 of the nation's 104 nuclear reactors — raising concerns about how it is escaping from the aging nuclear plants.

The leaks — many from deteriorating underground pipes — come as the nuclear industry is seeking and obtaining federal license renewals, casting itself as a clean-green alternative to power plants that burn fossil fuels.

Tritium, found in nature in tiny amounts and a product of nuclear fission, has been linked to cancer if ingested, inhaled or absorbed through the skin in large amounts.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Monday that new tests at a monitoring well on Vermont Yankee's site in Vernon registered 70,500 picocuries per liter, more than three times the federal safety standard of 20,000 picocuries per liter.

That is the highest reading yet at the Vermont Yankee plant, where the original discovery last month drew sharp criticism by Gov. Jim Douglas and others. Officials of the New Orleans-based Entergy Corp., which owns the plant in Vernon in Vermont's southeast corner, have admitted misleading state regulators and lawmakers by saying the plant did not have the kind of underground pipes that could leak tritium into groundwater.

"What has happened at Vermont Yankee is a breach of trust that cannot be tolerated," said Douglas, who until now has been a strong supporter of the state's lone nuclear plant.

Vermont Yankee has said no tritium has been found in area drinking water supplies or in the Connecticut River and that earlier, lesser tritium levels discovered last month were of no health concern.

"The existence of tritium in such low levels does not present a risk to public health or safety whatsoever," plant spokesman Robert Williams said in an e-mail Monday.

President Barack Obama, in his State of the Union address last week, called for "building a new generation of safe, clean nuclear power plants in this country." His 2011 budget request to Congress on Monday called for $54 billion in additional loan guarantees for nuclear power.

cont... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100202/ap_on_bi_ge/us_leaking_nuclear_plants

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Vt nuke plant leaks renew debate over aging plants
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:43:16 AM »
my glock has tritium night sights... now you make me worry about wearing it so close to my 'junk'.

:-\

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »
my glock has tritium night sights... now you make me worry about wearing it so close to my 'junk'.

:-\
unless you're licking your sights for some strange reason or doing tequila shots off them or some shit, I think you'll be fine.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »
oh shit...

I guess you don't know how much I really love my glocks... :P

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
I guess you don't know how much I really love my glocks... :P

If anyone on getbig but you posted that I'd definitely "fix" it to read differently!!!

Fortunately I have way to much respect for you to do something so childish...

;D
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »
hahahahahah

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »
... have admitted misleading state regulators and lawmakers by saying the plant did not have the kind of underground pipes that could leak tritium into groundwater.

This is exactly the type of shit that causes so many problems when we decide whether or not to build more reactors. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 06:33:55 AM »
Obama is a liar!!In his speech he called for more nukes,but in his budget,he took out the money and permanently closed Yuke mountain,so there is no place to put the waste.A typical Obama lie.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 06:38:33 AM »
Obama is a liar!!In his speech he called for more nukes,but in his budget,he took out the money and permanently closed Yuke mountain,so there is no place to put the waste.A typical Obama lie.

Billy:  at this point I just assume the opposite of whatever Obama says.   Its a much easier way to find out the truth. 

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 06:55:44 AM »
Tritium night sights are the shit!  Give me some more green stuff!  LOL