Author Topic: What's the markup on supplements?  (Read 3787 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
What's the markup on supplements?
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »
Some of this shit is outrageous.  $40 for cell tech, sugar plus creatine.  The cost must be $2 in materials.
Any insiders can give some info?

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
Re: What's the markup on supplements?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
Some of this shit is outrageous.  $40 for cell tech, sugar plus creatine.  The cost must be $2 in materials.

369% percent...
footloose and fancy free

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
One company I worked for..cost for ingredients, bottle, label = $10...price in stores...$40-$50

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »
One company I worked for..cost for ingredients, bottle, label = $10...price in stores...$40-$50

Don't forget the stores make the biggest markup on that, your company probably sold to the stores and chains for $13 and the store marked it up to $40-$50

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »
It was double...so $10 to make = $20 cost for supp companies = $40 for their price

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 10:09:49 AM »
To answer your question.To make a bottle of Cell Tech cost about $4-$5 a bottle to make, and a bottle of N.O.Xplode costs about $4 to make.The mark up on these "big' supplement companies is about 400-600%.....Then you have companies like Bio-Plex, Beverly International,Trueprotein.com and my self who only make about 25-30%.The reason for this is we use better raw materials, and dont use hype and marketing to sell our products.So we have to rely on repeat customers.Companies like BSN, and Muscletech, put all there money in packaging and marketing.The good news is companines like myself rarely get customer returns, because people are always happy.Muscletech wont take returns, before you return a product to a store you have to call there 1800 number.
Most of the time the store wont return the product because they know Musceltech wont give them credit for the product.So they usually wind up losing a customers ecause the customer is pissed off.A good company will always take a return and stand behind a product 100%, even if it means losing money.
In my book the customer always comes first, because if it wasnt for my customers, I would not have my buissness.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
To answer your question.To make a bottle of Cell Tech cost about $4-$5 a bottle to make, and a bottle of N.O.Xplode costs about $4 to make.The mark up on these "big' supplement companies is about 400-600%.....Then you have companies like Bio-Plex, Beverly International,Trueprotein.com and my self who only make about 25-30%.The reason for this is we use better raw materials, and dont use hype and marketing to sell our products.So we have to rely on repeat customers.Companies like BSN, and Muscletech, put all there money in packaging and marketing.The good news is companines like myself rarely get customer returns, because people are always happy.Muscletech wont take returns, before you return a product to a store you have to call there 1800 number.
Most of the time the store wont return the product because they know Musceltech wont give them credit for the product.So they usually wind up losing a customers ecause the customer is pissed off.A good company will always take a return and stand behind a product 100%, even if it means losing money.
In my book the customer always comes first, because if it wasnt for my customers, I would not have my buissness.

how much capital would you need to open up a store?
b

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:44:19 AM »
No one, I am not interested in opening a store, I supply stores.To answer your question to fully stock a supplement store, you would need anywhere from $50,00-$100,000.This would depend on the size of the store and how much inventory you would want to carry.There is a store in Las Vegas called Vegas Sports Nutrition who has the best priced in town.He sells NOXplode for $36, and ECA for $29.95.He probabvly has about $100,000 in inventory.But he sells atleast $3000-$4000 a day in sales.He is always busy.If you guys wants the best prices on supplements go to vegasportsnutrition.com he has the best prices and the best selection.The owner is a really cool guy, and takes good care of his customers.He doesnt charge alot for shipping either.He ships the same day as you order product.His phone Number is (702) 617-3586.What evber product you want he has.He carries Now Muscltech BSN,Bio-Plex AST,ARLI,HI-TECH,MEGA-PRO,Extreme Labs,Optimum Nutrition,Labrada, MetRX.Plus he still sells the pro hormones that are still legal.I personaly shop at this store when I need something

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
the owner = you? lol

if not, might as well give him a reach around while you're at it.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
No one, I am not interested in opening a store, I supply stores.To answer your question to fully stock a supplement store, you would need anywhere from $50,00-$100,000.This would depend on the size of the store and how much inventory you would want to carry.There is a store in Las Vegas called Vegas Sports Nutrition who has the best priced in town.He sells NOXplode for $36, and ECA for $29.95.He probabvly has about $100,000 in inventory.But he sells atleast $3000-$4000 a day in sales.He is always busy.If you guys wants the best prices on supplements go to vegasportsnutrition.com he has the best prices and the best selection.The owner is a really cool guy, and takes good care of his customers.He doesnt charge alot for shipping either.He ships the same day as you order product.His phone Number is (702) 617-3586.What evber product you want he has.He carries Now Muscltech BSN,Bio-Plex AST,ARLI,HI-TECH,MEGA-PRO,Extreme Labs,Optimum Nutrition,Labrada, MetRX.Plus he still sells the pro hormones that are still legal.I personaly shop at this store when I need something

thanks for the link sir.
b

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »

Steroids.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »
Wouldn't it be a funny turn-of-events if Mr. Wal-Mart, Lexus, I-make-six-figures coupon-guy was one of your customers.  ;D

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »
..... vegasportsnutrition.com he has the best prices and the best selection.The owner is a really cool guy, and takes good care of his customers.He doesnt charge alot for shipping either.He ships the same day as you order product.His phone Number is (702) 617-3586.What evber product you want he has.He carries Now Muscltech BSN,Bio-Plex AST,ARLI,HI-TECH,MEGA-PRO,Extreme Labs,Optimum Nutrition,Labrada, MetRX.....

Nice shameless plug there, fella.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »
Well they have to find a way to pay these chemist and nutritionist and doctors that work at these high end labs.... Those Lab coats and test tubes aren't cheap. :-\
Not to mention pay for jays hair cuts, posing thongs and Tans

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »
Because people still gladly pays for it.  That it doesn't work isn't important.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »
          gooood lord that's a lot of money.
F

rebeccas

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »

How can BSN make N.O.Xplode for $4? That is too cheap. What about the other big brands like VPX and Gaspari? How much money do these companies make?

Thanks,

Bec

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 02:16:23 PM »
how much capital would you need to open up a store?
I started mine with 35,000euro

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »
vince goodrum started his store by leasing a table at the Jockey Lot in Anderson, SC.  $8 a day for an outside table, if you please.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »
I started mine with 35,000euro
        what's that in us dollars pre-obama.
F

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 12:21:07 PM »
I am looking into this for my gym. As I would like to offer supps and if you spend a lot with the supp companies you get a better deal. Looks like 70% mark up.     The less you spend the less you save but I SEE IT AS LOW AS 50% MARK UP
I

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »
        what's that in us dollars pre-obama.
Maybe 45grand or so dollars

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »
Someone other than myself will have to verify this because I never bought vitamins in huge quantities but friends of mine did and if I recall correctly you could purchase vitamin pills in 45 gallon containers and bottle and label and market them yourself.

The price per 45 gallon container was less than $50 if I recall correctly,but maybe someone here can be more specific and accurate.

Also back then it was a know fact that the packaging and the labeling was more expensive than what went inside the package.. I believe that is still true today.

BUT WHAT THE HELL DO I KNOW!

My big concern is ... How much does that popcorn cost the concessionaires in the movie theaters? And what does an 8 oz cup of Pepsi really cost?

There was a book recently published that gave precise and accurate answers to these dumb questions but I never bought it and I recently forgot its name.

Any GetBig expertise would certainly be appreciated.

But what the hell do GetBiggers know??!