Author Topic: WEC 48-Aldo vs. Faber, Cerrone vs. Henderson on PPV April 24- for $44.99  (Read 2026 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
As expected World Extreme Cagefighting is headed to pay-per-view.

The organization today announced via the AP that WEC 48, which retails for $44.99, takes place Saturday, April 24, at ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif.

Featured bouts include WEC featherweight champ Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber, lightweight champion Benson Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone, and former champ Mike Brown vs. Manny Gamburyan.

The WEC, which traditionally airs on Versus, has never previously aired a show on PPV. The WEC PPV fee is the same as charged by its sister promotion, the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported last month that Faber's WEC 46 victory over Raphael Assuncao had earned him the title shot with Aldo and that it likely would take place at WEC 48.

Aldo (16-1 MMA, 6-0 WEC), who owns nine straight wins and is 6-0 (with six TKO wins) in the WEC, earned the title with a WEC 44 main-event win over then-champ Brown. The Brazilian Nova Uniao fighter makes his first title defense when he meets Faber (23-3, 8-2 WEC), who again fights in front of a hometown crowd. Faber lost his belt and a subsequent rematch with Brown. He's 2-1 over his past three fights, which included the second loss to Brown and submission wins over Jens Pulver and Assuncao.

Soon after confirming the bout last month, WEC General Manager Reed Harris hinted that it could headline the WEC's PPV debut.

"I would think that as we move toward pay-per-view, [Aldo vs. Faber] would be a great pay-per-view," Harris said. "I think the fans would pay to see that fight."

Henderson (11-1 MMA, 4-0 WEC), meanwhile, also makes his first title defense. The well-rounded fighter defeated Cerrone via decision for the interim title in October at WEC 43 and then unified the belts with a submission victory over then-champ Jamie Varner at WEC 46. He puts his 10-fight win streak on the line when he rematches Cerrone (14-2 MMA, 4-2 WEC), who rebounded from the initial loss to Henderson with a third-round submission victory over Ed Ratcliff in the WEC 45 main event in December.

Brown (23-5 MMA, 5-1 WEC) and Gamburyan (10-4 MMA, 2-0 WEC), meanwhile, are likely fighting for a chance to meet the winner of WEC 48's main event. After losing his belt to Aldo, Brown submitted Anthony Morrison last month at WEC 46 to pick up his 11th win in his past 12 fights. Gamburyan, a former UFC fighter and lightweight runner-up on "The Ultimate Fighter 5," made his WEC debut in 2009 and dropped a weight class. He has since posted decision wins over John Franchi and Leonard Garcia to enter featherweight title contention.

For the latest on WEC 48, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.
Predictions
 40/61

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: WEC 48-Aldo vs. Faber, Cerrone vs. Henderson on PPV April 24- for $44.99
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »
Those are good fights-- but 44.99??!?!

You have got to be fucking kidding me. The WEC is basically the UFC's ugly step child. The only guys left in the federation are the little guys.

Also, look at who is fighting-- A guy Mike Brown owned twice, fighting a guy that just beat Mike Brown (interesting) and a guy who didn't win the ultimate fighter against Mike Brown ( mildly interesting).

I have never even heard of the other fighters on the card.

I would probably drop 20 bucks to see this in PPV-- but almost 50? No fucking way. Id rather watch pride and ufc re-reuns on spike for free.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
This looks like an awesome card...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »
WEC to Run April Pay Per View Featuring Urijah Faber vs Jose Aldo:

World Extreme Cagefighting will stage its first pay-per-view event April 24, scheduling a star-stacked card for its first attempt to persuade mixed martial arts fans to pay $44.99 for its fights.

Urijah Faber will meet featherweight champion Jose Aldo in the main event of WEC 48 from Sacramento, Calif., the lighter-weight MMA promotion’s leaders told The Associated Press before Wednesday’s announcement.

Former featherweight champion Mike Brown also will meet Manny Gamburyan at Arco Arena, and lightweight champion Ben Henderson will fight Donald Cerrone in a rematch of their acclaimed October bout.

w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:26:02 PM »
Those are good fights-- but 44.99??!?!

You have got to be fucking kidding me. The WEC is basically the UFC's ugly step child. The only guys left in the federation are the little guys.

Also, look at who is fighting-- A guy Mike Brown owned twice, fighting a guy that just beat Mike Brown (interesting) and a guy who didn't win the ultimate fighter against Mike Brown ( mildly interesting).

I have never even heard of the other fighters on the card.

I would probably drop 20 bucks to see this in PPV-- but almost 50? No fucking way. Id rather watch pride and ufc re-reuns on spike for free.

I'll have to disagree.  First of all, all the main fights on this card are featherweights.  The UFC doesn't have a featherweight class, so these are the best featherweights in the world.

Also, Brown didn't own Faber twice.  After one of the longest winning streaks in MMA history, Faber did lose to Brown.  In the rematch, Faber broke both hands in the first two rounds and went on to finish 5 rounds with a very tough Mike Brown.  That's amazing!  He fought three rounds without being able to punch or grapple.  If those two ever meet again, I'll bet the house on Faber.

The Aldo/Faber fight is INSANE!!!  Most MMA websites/magazines voted Aldo fighter of the year for 2009 and I couldn't agree more.  He won every fight in devastating fashion.

You've never heard of the other fighter in the card like Cowboy Cerrone!?  Look up his fight against Varner or Razor Rob.  Two of the best wars EVER!

Mark my words, this will be one of the best cards of the year.  Way better than anything Strikeforce could dream of putting on, and better than most of the UFC cards we're likely to see.
w

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
Donald Cerrone and Ben Henderson are lightweights and they just fought for the title in October and they are already fighting again?  It was a good fight, although it seems like the WEC really wants Cerrone to be champ but he keeps coming up short (3 of his last five fights were for the lightweight title)  Aldo and Faber, that's a fight right there.  Brown is gonna steamroll Manvel "the blanket" gamburyan.  I honestly don't think it's a wise decision to start off at $44.99 seeing as the WEC still really dosen't put up the numbers that would indicate success at PPV.  I enjoy the WEC, but that's pretty steep.  They should start at $29.99 and work their way up from there.  I like the WEC and I want them to succeed, but it seems like they are kinda being set up to fail. 
Predictions
 40/61

On_Swole

• Expert
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:30:09 AM »
Big mistake. Anyone think it'll hit 100,000 buys?  ???

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:59 AM »
I agree.  $29.99 would have been a much better way to start...
w

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
I wouldn't even pay $29.99 for the fights.  No more than 20 tops.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »
way overpriced....

anyone see the UFC card this weekend?I wouldn't pay $10 to watch that shit....lucky I'm watchin for free though....
DAWG

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 01:05:18 PM »
I won't be paying for this weekend's UFC card either.  They can't all be stacked.  Fortunately, the UFC Gym hosts a fight party where you can watch the fights for free :)
w

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »
No thanks.  WEC is great stuff when its free, not worth ppv.  Most of the fights end in about 30 seconds. 

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 08:29:53 AM »
way overpriced....

anyone see the UFC card this weekend?I wouldn't pay $10 to watch that shit....lucky I'm watchin for free though....
I had free hotel in Vegas yesterday-Sunday and free food.  Would have only had to pay my flight and the UFC ticket.  Looked at the card a month ago and UFC 109 is a crappy card!  It should be free.  And for WEC, I'd never may more than 19.95 for one of their ppv's.  But UFC and there monthly ppv's, now WEC, you either gotta have a ton of friends to pitch in or your out about 100 bucks a month after taxes.  I've about quit watchin and just follow stuff on here and the ug.

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 07:53:31 AM »
Big mistake. Anyone think it'll hit 100,000 buys?  ???

Nope.  Maybe 100 000 views on Justin.tv.  Good card though.