Author Topic: Off to Tx. to bury my dad.  (Read 6330 times)

newmom

Re: Off to Tx. to bury my dad.
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
So sorry for your loss.  I lost my dad Feb 18, 2009 to suicide.  It has been a tough year for me and my family.  Be thankful that your dad was a good man and spent time with you.  My dad was a good person but not much of a dad.  Cherish the good memories and be sure to carry on his good name.  God bless you and your family! 

sorry to hear about that Colby

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 06:38:21 AM »
Sorry about your loss regmac and Colby :(  Hope the passage of some time will make things less painful.
R

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »
Sorry about your loss regmac and Colby :(  Hope the passage of some time will make things less painful.
Thanks I was ok   5 minutes after I got the news from my mom.  She was very positive about it...there was no way I could be sad.   He was a great man   I realize it was just his time.   I was so spoiled as a kid.
((-::

Colby

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 10:56:34 AM »
Thanks.  The hardest part for me is that he chose to make it his time.  One thing I have really learned is to have your affairs in order.  My dad really left a mess behind for us to clean up.  Its a year later and we are still trying to get it straightened out.  Death brings out greed in a lot of people! 

newmom

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
Thanks.  The hardest part for me is that he chose to make it his time.  One thing I have really learned is to have your affairs in order.  My dad really left a mess behind for us to clean up.  Its a year later and we are still trying to get it straightened out.  Death brings out greed in a lot of people! 

Colby you are sooooo right...I dont have alot, but its all layed out in my will, my durable health care power of attorney and power of attorney. My father FINALLY got all his affairs in order, he gave me and my brother a copy, set up trusts for his grandkids (so they dont have to pay estate taxes), I'm the only one that knows where his cc statements are to pay out of his estate. In fact he knows where mine are. Not sure where you are, in CT if the will states this this this, then that is what the probate judge goes by for the most part. Anyone can fit the last will, but you better have some clear proof to take away from it

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 04:49:45 PM »
My moms going through the crap my dad left behind from here in LA to where she is in Texas.  As far as the greed stuff goes I am trying to find her a great lawyer to assist her.   My dad has land his aunt and uncle built part of their house on. I luv my aunt and uncle  but whats his may be mine and my moms down thge road.   For now its all sit and wait.

newmom

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 05:01:14 PM »
My moms going through the crap my dad left behind from here in LA to where she is in Texas.  As far as the greed stuff goes I am trying to find her a great lawyer to assist her.   My dad has land his aunt and uncle built part of their house on. I luv my aunt and uncle  but whats his may be mine and my moms down thge road.   For now its all sit and wait.

well I dont know about Texas but as I see in CT. Is your moms name on the land as well? Im assuming he didnt have a will?. In CT, if a person dies intestate (no will) the land automatically goes to the spouse (rights of survivorship). Did your dad give your aunt and uncle permission to build on that land (when they built the land a title search of some kind should appear in the land records). If not, they may have adverse possession (in CT they were on the land for more than 15 years). Check the legal description that your aunt and uncles house is on.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »
well I dont know about Texas but as I see in CT. Is your moms name on the land as well? Im assuming he didnt have a will?. In CT, if a person dies intestate (no will) the land automatically goes to the spouse (rights of survivorship). Did your dad give your aunt and uncle permission to build on that land (when they built the land a title search of some kind should appear in the land records). If not, they may have adverse possession (in CT they were on the land for more than 15 years). Check the legal description that your aunt and uncles house is on.
I am sure he had a will ....as far as the land goes   that house my aunt/uncle have is the same house my mom is staying in with them so I am sure that property thing will be brought up...I believe my dad owed back taxes on that land so everything is up in the air.  I have my own financial issues here in LA to deal with before I can actually help with my dads.  Thanks though.

newmom

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
I am sure he had a will ....as far as the land goes   that house my aunt/uncle have is the same house my mom is staying in with them so I am sure that property thing will be brought up...I believe my dad owed back taxes on that land so everything is up in the air.  I have my own financial issues here in LA to deal with before I can actually help with my dads.  Thanks though.

well the estate has to catch up with the taxes (sure you know that). If you need anything, I can try to figure out their laws and help if I can

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 05:17:01 PM »
well the estate has to catch up with the taxes (sure you know that). If you need anything, I can try to figure out their laws and help if I can
Thanks   everythng is in the air for now.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 07:54:33 AM »
Gods' bless. R.I.P.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 11:27:42 AM »