Author Topic: Superbowl 44 - The Who  (Read 5957 times)

The RedMeatKid

• Getbig IV
Superbowl 44 - The Who
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:08:02 AM »
Looked and sounded horrible.  Time to hang it up.  The drummer was good, though.  He's Ringo's son.
(

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
Re: The Who At The Superbowl
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:09:55 AM »
nfl on a budget but they got their image cleansing winner (except mike irving n warren sapp)...so what was up with that?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:10:52 AM »
guy looked like he was going to have a heartattack.  Great songs but these guys sounded like shit.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 08:12:37 AM »
The Who Cranked that shit to me...like for real i liked it...better than The Stones and Bruce ...they rocked it

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:28:33 AM »
imo queen lathifah sucked more.
A

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:29:19 AM »
imo queen lathifah sucked more.

lord was she awful.....bro..Underwood killed it though...she was dope

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 08:32:20 AM »
did anyone notice them fist pumping? they must be watching jersey shore on their down time.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »
They were the best half time show in years!
X

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 08:44:06 AM »

I'll go against the grain here and say I actually enjoyed THE WHO!

Kinda went well with "Who Dat" for the saints LOL

On another note, I thought this was a ridiculously boring superbowl, anyone else think so?  Only exciting play was that big interception to touchdown

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 08:52:17 AM »
The scream in last song, "We don't get Fooled Again" was OBVIOUSLY piped in circa 1980....No way Roger hit that scream live....the damn camera panned into the stands and immediately returned to him after the "scream". They looked oold. At least the NFL did'nt have all the screaming young kids hangin off the stage like most halftime shows...hell, NO kids today have even heard of The Who.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 08:57:35 AM »
I'll go against the grain here and say I actually enjoyed THE WHO!

Kinda went well with "Who Dat" for the saints LOL

On another note, I thought this was a ridiculously boring superbowl, anyone else think so?  Only exciting play was that big interception to touchdown

The game was awful.  Other than that one interception for a TD there were not any big plays.  That onside kick though was the play of the fucking year.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Superbowl 44 - The Who
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 09:34:25 AM »

The Who sounded like the were playing live --- wait, they were.   Some of your are so into the 'live' recorded music that sound like they are playing, that you forget that bands actually sing and sound differently when they are in concert.   

Face it, if you see an act that sounds too good to be true, and almost exact to the song on the radio, think about it.

The best concerts I enjoyed were the ones that you know the bands and singers were singing and having fun live, instead of the some of the music today at concerts that are just singers dancing around not really singing.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »
The Who sounded like the were playing live --- wait, they were.   Some of your are so into the 'live' recorded music that sound like they are playing, that you forget that bands actually sing and sound differently when they are in concert.   

Face it, if you see an act that sounds too good to be true, and almost exact to the song on the radio, think about it.

The best concerts I enjoyed were the ones that you know the bands and singers were singing and having fun live, instead of the some of the music today at concerts that are just singers dancing around not really singing.

Spot on post, Ron.

There are musicians; people that actually play their instruments/sing and there are people that are entertainers; people that dance, lip sync and so forth.

I saw Rhianna on TV the other night, and she was walking around the whole time, never seeming to be out of breath and the songs seemed to go on forever 5min which for someone that is relying on studio tricks to get them through, that's a huge amount of time. Her band kicked ass though. However, the telltale sign that she can't sing worth shit live, is that she was buried so far down in the mix, and the back-up singers were not only louder than her but singing with her the entire time. Every word that came from Rhianna's mouth was echoed by another singer behind her.

Live music is better- which also correlates to the bumper sticker I had from a music store I worked at (didn't make the sticker though, that was before my tenure there). People "listening" to music today, they don't want musical talent. They want entertainment. And if you have both...well, that's even more rare than finding someone that can sing!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 09:44:21 AM »
The Who Cranked that shit to me...like for real i liked it...better than The Stones and Bruce ...they rocked it

I agree Mal.......people are too used to he over-dubbed synth-garbage and think it should be some perfect sounding performance.  It was what rock is supposed to be.....raw and real.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 09:45:42 AM »
I saw Rhianna on TV the other night, and she was walking around the whole time, never seeming to be out of breath and the songs seemed to go on forever 5min which for someone that is relying on studio tricks to get them through, that's a huge amount of time. Her band kicked ass though. However, the telltale sign that she can't sing worth shit live, is that she was buried so far down in the mix, and the back-up singers were not only louder than her but singing with her the entire time. Every word that came from Rhianna's mouth was echoed by another singer behind her.  Live music is better- which also correlates to the bumper sticker I had from a music store I worked at (didn't make the sticker though, that was before my tenure there). People "listening" to music today, they don't want musical talent. They want entertainment. And if you have both...well, that's even more rare than finding someone that can sing!

Music tracks on the radio, or you tube are great - but going to see them in concert, you want something different, something that lets you know that they are really singing, whereas different way, different verses, and more excitement.  A great show is cool, but I just dont feel like listening to a recorded track while paying $100 or more for a concert.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »
I couldn't help but wonder how many folk seeing the half time show thought "hey, these old guys are doing the CSI songs".

Not that i saw it. I fell asleep during the second quarter (I'm in the UK) and woke up during the third!

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »

Music tracks on the radio, or you tube are great - but going to see them in concert, you want something different, something that lets you know that they are really singing, whereas different way, different verses, and more excitement.  A great show is cool, but I just dont feel like listening to a recorded track while paying $100 or more for a concert.

Like you have to pay to get into any concert.  With your celeb status Ron you probably get ushered into the VIP section immediately.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »
They were the best half time show in years!

Agreed.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »
The game was awful.  Other than that one interception for a TD there were not any big plays.  That onside kick though was the play of the fucking year.

Depends what you consider a good game, and who you were routing for.

The lack of penalties and b.s. calls made for a great, solid game, in my opinion.

And, God, I loved seeing Manning not win.  ;D

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 01:00:57 PM »
Exactly Ron.

The WHO sounded pretty good.  Vocalist was straining on 1 of the tunes but otherwise the performance was good.  I can't stand these crap musicians that lip sync and play behind the records.  Pathetic.  That is a real live performance people.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 01:56:16 PM »
Exactly Ron.

The WHO sounded pretty good.  Vocalist was straining on 1 of the tunes but otherwise the performance was good.  I can't stand these crap musicians that lip sync and play behind the records.  Pathetic.  That is a real live performance people.
Except for the scream during "Don't get Fooled Again"

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 01:59:34 PM »
I enjoyed The Who and the light show too.
Flower Boy Ran Away

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 02:04:53 PM »
The Who kicked ass.  Period. 

Remember guys, those dudes are OLD.  They are a legend.  LOVED the show.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 05:18:43 AM »

Spot on post, Ron.

There are musicians; people that actually play their instruments/sing and there are people that are entertainers; people that dance, lip sync and so forth.

I saw Rhianna on TV the other night, and she was walking around the whole time, never seeming to be out of breath and the songs seemed to go on forever 5min which for someone that is relying on studio tricks to get them through, that's a huge amount of time. Her band kicked ass though. However, the telltale sign that she can't sing worth shit live, is that she was buried so far down in the mix, and the back-up singers were not only louder than her but singing with her the entire time. Every word that came from Rhianna's mouth was echoed by another singer behind her.

Live music is better- which also correlates to the bumper sticker I had from a music store I worked at (didn't make the sticker though, that was before my tenure there). People "listening" to music today, they don't want musical talent. They want entertainment. And if you have both...well, that's even more rare than finding someone that can sing!
No, live music is only better if you're there. Most live records suck.
A

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 09:07:55 AM »
No, live music is only better if you're there. Most live records suck.

Ah, what I meant when I said/say that, is live music is better than listening to a DJ or stereo.
Good musicians will actually be able to improvise and play with the melodies, do things different each time if they want, or play with dynamics etc...DJ's can mix different things into a song, but unless the 100's of DJ's I've heard around my neck of the woods aren't doing it...they aren't playing with the music as some of the music should be played with.

A comparison should be made, I guess, about the last sentence. Contrast Jazz and Classical music. One is highly improvisational, the other should be played the same way almost exactly every time. Off the cuff, versus regimented and strict.

And most live records aren't even live. I've known far too many of these so-called "live" records to have been spliced together in the studio, overdubbed and even some completely re-cut using only the audience from the original recording.