Author Topic: Obama: Parties must 'transcend petty politics'  (Read 1610 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Obama: Parties must 'transcend petty politics'
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:58:28 AM »
This seems to be Barry's latest mantra.  Of course, this call for bipartisanship didn't seem to come until WELL AFTER he tried to ram a bunch of shit down everybody's throats.  Now suddenly, we're all supposed to be bipartisan.  ::)

Reality:  You reap what you sow.

In surprise appearance, president slams 'grandstanding,' urges cooperation

WASHINGTON - Appealing for bipartisanship in a town where it's hard to find, President Barack Obama sat down with Democrats and Republicans Tuesday to spur cooperation on job creation, deficit reduction and health care overhaul. He promised to do his part — but warned he would take Republicans to task if they don't do the same.

"The people who sent us here expect a seriousness of purpose that transcends petty politics," Obama said after the meeting, as he made a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room.

Obama's appeal was his latest effort to reach out to Republicans following GOP Sen. Scott Brown's surprise election last month to replace the late Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy in Massachusetts. Brown's win deprived Democrats of the votes they need to keep the Republican minority in the Senate from blocking Obama's legislative agenda, including his plan to overhaul the nation's health care system.
Obama started his remarks to reporters by engaging in a bit of wishful thinking: joking about Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid and Republican leader Mitch McConnell "out doing snow angels together on the South Lawn" after the meeting.

But the friendly rhetoric quickly gave way to tougher talk.

"We can't afford grandstanding at the expense of actually getting something done," Obama said. "What I won't consider is doing nothing."

McConnell told reporters that "there are some areas of potential agreement" on a jobs package.

He cited Republicans' and Obama's shared interests in nuclear power, clean coal technology, offshore drilling and the completion of languishing trade deals. He cautioned, though, that most of the members of his Republican caucus hadn't yet seen the Democrats' planned jobs legislation.

Obama, too, ticked off several areas where he said cooperation should be easy. But, like McConnell, most of the ideas on which he called for bipartisanship were ones he favors. In Obama's case, that means job creation (money for infrastructure repairs, small business tax cuts and lending, and tax breaks for energy efficiency improvements), health care (extending coverage and making it more affordable) or deficit cutting (a bipartisan commission).

"I won't hesitate to embrace a good idea from my friends in the minority party, but I also won't hesitate to condemn ... what I consider to be obstinacy," Obama said.

Full Story:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35313149/ns/politics-white_house/

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Re: Obama: Parties must 'transcend petty politics'
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:00:35 AM »
Haha he didn't try to ram anything.  The republicans CHOSE to block everything, chose to not come up with anything and chose to be the party of NO.  Forcing the dems to ram everything through. 

It's a two way street buddy may want to look at the trash in yours first  ::)
Abandon every hope...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:10:36 AM »
Haha he didn't try to ram anything.  The republicans CHOSE to block everything, chose to not come up with anything and chose to be the party of NO.  Forcing the dems to ram everything through.  

It's a two way street buddy may want to look at the trash in yours first  ::)

No it wasn't.  Just look at the healthcare debate.  The Republicans were not given shit.  Now I can agree that they failed to put forth an alternative plan and just let the problem fester.  And I wholeheartily agree that they had 12 yrs under the two Bushes to get shit done and never lifted a finger to help anyone.  

But, once the Dems got the ball rolling, which I think was a great thing, they should've included the Republicans and the people.  Now that the Republicans know they can essentially block shit, we could be looking at a few more years of gridlock.  Like I said, you reap what you sow.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »
Haha he didn't try to ram anything.  The republicans CHOSE to block everything, chose to not come up with anything and chose to be the party of NO.  Forcing the dems to ram everything through. 

Really how exactly could the Republicans block anything? What a dumb fucking excuse to use when the Dems have a filibuster proof majority. He tried to ram that shit through before anyone could read and figure out what they were up to, didn't work.

Now we have to be bi-partisan what a bunch of bullshit.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:15:22 AM »

LOL HOW DARE YOU CALL YOUR MESSIAH A LIAR.... >:(

obama has said many many many times that the reps have come up with good ideas even with the last Q&A over healthcare he stated time and time again that the reps had good ideas that had been worked into the bill...

Do you dispute that KC are you calling barry a liar?

Fact is dems could have got shit passed with or without the reps, you want to blame ppl blame the uber left and obama for letting the run the show...now he realizes the majority of ppl dont like what they are selling and is trying to come center the question is whether its a true gesture of wanting bipartisanship or just simply politics...

Ill let you decide...

but remember youre messiahs track record  ;)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:16:45 AM »
Really how exactly could the Republicans block anything? What a dumb fucking excuse to use when the Dems have a filibuster proof majority. He tried to ram that shit through before anyone could read and figure out what they were up to, didn't work.

Now we have to be bi-partisan what a bunch of bullshit.

Exactly.  Falls into the whole transparency issue too.  They didn't want people to know what they were doing, so they excluded the public.  Now, suddenly we're all supposed to get along.  I'll believe it when I see it...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:17:29 AM »

Tell me,did the republicans have the votes to stop ANYTHING?The answer to that is NO!!!!Your arguments are very poorly thought out.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »

No it wasn't.  Just look at the healthcare debate.  The Republicans were not given shit.  Now I can agree that they failed to put forth an alternative plan and just let the problem fester.  And I wholeheartily agree that they had 12 yrs under the two Bushes to get shit done and never lifted a finger to help anyone.  

But, once the Dems got the ball rolling, which I think was a great thing, they should've included the Republicans and the people.  Now that the Republicans know they can essentially block shit, we could be looking at a few more years of gridlock.  Like I said, you reap what you sow.

Because they never had sh*t to begin with.  Republicans had control for 8 years, they had control during the Clinton admin if healthcare was something they had to offer why wait to bring it up?  Because they had nothing but No's.  Simple as that.  
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:18:46 AM »
Tell me,did the republicans have the votes to stop ANYTHING?The answer to that is NO!!!!Your arguments are very poorly thought out.

When did i say they could stop anything Billy? Your assumption is poorly thought out.  Just because you can not stop something doesn't mean you can not contribute. 
Abandon every hope...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:22:05 AM »
Because they never had sh*t to begin with.  Republicans had control for 8 years, they had control during the Clinton admin if healthcare was something they had to offer why wait to bring it up?  Because they had nothing but No's.  Simple as that.  

The Republicans did not have a comprehensive health care bill, but they certainly had ideas and contributions for the one the Democrats put forward.  It would have been much wiser for the Dems to say, ok - let's incorporate some of your ideas.  Instead, they gave the Republicans and the people a big fuck you.  And, only now that their strategy failed, they want to cry for bipartisanship.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »
Maybe because healthcare is not the most important issue to deal with.  Ever think of that?

We are broke beyond belief and your and the rest of the lefts' answer is to double down on entitlement spending.  No thanks. 

Uh 333 the bill actually saves billions in the long run  ;)
Abandon every hope...

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »

Again because the Federal Government has no constitutional authority in this matter, simple as that. I really fail to see what you don't understand, healtcare is not a right, it is a service you must pay a licensed provider for. That in itself excludes it from being a right. And let me let you in on a little secret, the government is the ones who created the HMO fucking mess in the first place. Who gives a fuck, the dems were in control for 40 fucking years before that.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 09:27:35 AM »
Yeah, just like medicare, ss, medicaide, etc. 

Unreal.  Please read history you dork.  Every govt program is always off by around afactor of 9.

Haha lost aren't ya? Just gotta make stuff up i see. 
Abandon every hope...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »
LOL HOW DARE YOU CALL YOUR MESSIAH A LIAR.... >:(

obama has said many many many times that the reps have come up with good ideas even with the last Q&A over healthcare he stated time and time again that the reps had good ideas that had been worked into the bill...

Do you dispute that KC are you calling barry a liar?

Fact is dems could have got shit passed with or without the reps, you want to blame ppl blame the uber left and obama for letting the run the show...now he realizes the majority of ppl dont like what they are selling and is trying to come center the question is whether its a true gesture of wanting bipartisanship or just simply politics...

Ill let you decide...

but remember youre messiahs track record  ;)
bump for an answer KCBALLESS  ;)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 09:46:59 AM »

The people didn't want that stupid ObamaCare. The Dems, acting in boldfaced ignorance, tried to force it down the people's throat.

Therefore, the folks in Mass., of all places, kicked Obama right in the nuts, snatching that supermajority away.

And, by this time next year, the DEMS will likely take the role of the "party of NO", because they'll be the minority party again.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »

Just as the Dems did when THEY were the minority party. What part of that don't you get?

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »
bump for an answer KCBALLESS  ;)

oh it's the shower perv.  Sorry bro i don't answer questions from guys who try to sneak into girls locker rooms. 

Oh and the repubs may have ideas like tort reform (in there) or going across state lines (also in there) so really you need a clue.  go back to stealing panties from the ladies locker room.
Abandon every hope...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »
oh it's the shower perv.  Sorry bro i don't answer questions from guys who try to sneak into girls locker rooms. 

Suppose I can't really say I'm shocked that you're gay, but whatever floats your boat.  I'll join Tony in wanting to shower with a shitload of women.  You and chadstallion can do your own thing.

Oh and the repubs may have ideas like tort reform (in there) or going across state lines (also in there) so really you need a clue.  go back to stealing panties from the ladies locker room.

No they didn't, and Obama has said as much.  The reality is one or the other party is going to have to man-up (a concept you're not familiar with), say forget the past, and let's move on with bills that include both parties.  Given the current political atmosphere, I don't see anyway that's going to happen.  But, hey...hope & change...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 10:57:22 AM »

LOL wanting to see hot women naked makes me a perv? hjahhhahaha well then I guess im a perv  ;)

and again I think if any hetero male came to my gym and saw some of the trainers theyd like to get a gander of them nekid not to mention for the 2nd time jamie eason sometimes worksout at my gym  ;D

you are the one that said the reps have no ideas jack ass... ;)

so do they or do they not have ideas KCBALLESS?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 11:19:21 AM »
When did i say they could stop anything Billy? Your assumption is poorly thought out.  Just because you can not stop something doesn't mean you can not contribute. 

The point is the part of no was the democrats.If they wanted it they should have passed it.But when 66% of Americans think it SUCKS!!!The American people are actually the party of no.NO TO OBAMAs foolish policies.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »
Certain republicans had very specific ideas that they wanted to pass.  As a whole, the republicans were opposed to a sweeping, costly reform.  They absolutely had ideas and tried to get them on the floor for debate, but were shut out by Pelosi and other liberals.  The liberals are telling the public repubs are the party of no as a political slogan to ridicule them.  The fact is repubs were opposed to the reforms the liberals wanted but had a series of ideas they wanted passed.

Read the following GOP healthcare reform bill.    http://www.gop.gov/solutions/healthcare

Discussion is ended about the GOP not having ideas, it's bullshit.  This was posted last year!

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »
Where exactly was this plan when Republicans had control Shoot? Oh it was non existent?  That pretty much sums it up.  The party of No and good old pole smokers has NOTHING to contribute to this.  That is why they are all about the No. 
Abandon every hope...

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
Where exactly was this plan when Republicans had control Shoot? Oh it was non existent?  That pretty much sums it up.  The party of No and good old pole smokers has NOTHING to contribute to this.  That is why they are all about the No. 

Are you brain dead? What part of the " The federal government has no constituional authority in this matter" do you fail to understand? Why should they have a fucking plan for something they are not supposed to be involved in?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 11:33:38 AM »
LOL wanting to see hot women naked makes me a perv? hjahhhahaha well then I guess im a perv  ;)

and again I think if any hetero male came to my gym and saw some of the trainers theyd like to get a gander of them nekid not to mention for the 2nd time jamie eason sometimes worksout at my gym  ;D

you are the one that said the reps have no ideas jack ass... ;)

so do they or do they not have ideas KCBALLESS?

Oh the perv tries to defend his actions you sound like a rapist hiding in the bushes   ::) The repubs have ideas alright, ideas to keep things at status quo.  
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »
Are you brain dead? What part of the " The federal government has no constituional authority in this matter" do you fail to understand? Why should they have a fucking plan for something they are not supposed to be involved in?

That is your opinion. 
Abandon every hope...