Author Topic: And you guys wonder why I and others hate the Government?  (Read 655 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
And you guys wonder why I and others hate the Government?
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:36:14 AM »
Check this out.  We pay the highest property taxes in the nation, and now the Federal Government is coming in and trying to dictate housing policy.  

________________________ ________________________ _________-

Monitor rejects housing-settlement plan
www.lohud.com
Gerald McKinstry and Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
gmckinst@lohud.com
February 12, 2010

WHITE PLAINS — A federal monitor has rejected Westchester County's outline for complying with a $51.6 million housing settlement, saying "there is more work to be done before I can accept the plan."

In a letter to Westchester County Executive Robert Astorino, court-appointed monitor James Johnson said this week that the county needed to revise its plan to build 750 units of affordable housing in some of Westchester's most affluent municipalities.

"The county's plan for identifying and assessing potential properties for development of the 750 units also lacks any concrete timeframe, and is unnecessarily vague on the whole," Johnson wrote in a four-page letter to the county executive that outlined the plan's deficiencies.

The Astorino administration said it's working closely with the monitor and will continue to do so to comply with a settlement brokered by County Executive Andrew Spano.

Read Johnson's letter to Rob Astorino

The monitor is to meet with county officials Tuesday and wants revisions back by March 12.

Westchester County submitted its implementation plan, or framework for complying with the settlement, to Johnson and the Department of Housing and Urban Development by the court's Jan. 30 deadline.

It included policy statements, model zoning ordinances and marketing, advertising and public outreach plans to racially and ethnically diverse households.

While acknowledging the county's work on the plan during Astorino's transition into office, Johnson added that he was "directing the county to take steps to revise it."

Johnson also said that:

• The county has not identified who would be responsible to ensure the settlement's mandates are carried out and fulfilled.

• The plan "lacks any concrete short-, medium-, or long-term strategies for how the county plans to develop" the housing.

• The county must state how it "will employ carrots and sticks" to ensure that the housing will be built over the objections of local municipalities targeted for units.

• The county should include general information about sites under consideration, even though the county expressed concerns that such information could affect the price of property.

Ned McCormack, communications director and chief adviser to Astorino, said Thursday that the plan was just the beginning of a process.

"The implementation plan, which by design is simply a framework for detailing the actions necessary for complying with last year's settlement of the lawsuit, is just a first step in a multiyear process," McCormack said. "Moving forward, the county will continue to work with all parties to comply with the settlement."

The settlement, approved by the Westchester County Board of Legislators on Sept. 23, mandates that the county build 750 units of affordable housing in the county's most affluent and predominantly white communities.

Legislator Bill Burton, D-Ossining and chair of the board's Housing and Planning Committee, called it a "very serious response."

"We have got a lot of work ahead of us, a lot of work," Burton said. "He's found very significant concerns that the county is going to have to address."

The deal, which was originally rejected by Astorino during the campaign, stems from a lawsuit filed by the Anti-Discrimination Center of Metro New York, or ADC, a nonprofit civil rights and fair- housing group.

The lawsuit sought $150 million and alleged that the county failed to build affordable housing in some of its most affluent and predominantly white communities even though it accepted $52 million from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The county settled the lawsuit Aug. 10.

The ADC, however, was not a party in the implementation process that followed.

But Johnson, the federal monitor, told county officials that he had "received comments" on the plan from the ADC.

Earlier this month, the ADC released a report, "Prescription for Failure," harshly critical of the implementation plan.

That report charged that the county had intentionally used the terms fair housing and affordable synonymously, and failed to adequately address the housing discrimination element of the case.

Ned McCormack, communications director and chief adviser to Astorino, said Thursday that the plan was just the beginning of a process.

"The implementation plan, which by design is simply a framework for detailing the actions necessary for complying with last year's settlement of the lawsuit, is just a first step in a multiyear process," McCormack said. "Moving forward, the county will continue to work with all parties to comply with the settlement."

The settlement, approved by the Westchester County Board of Legislators on Sept. 23, mandates that the county build 750 units of affordable housing in the county's most affluent and predominantly white communities.

Legislator Bill Burton, D-Ossining and chair of the board's Housing and Planning Committee, called it a "very serious response."

"We have got a lot of work ahead of us, a lot of work," Burton said. "He's found very significant concerns that the county is going to have to address."

The lawsuit sought $150 million and alleged that the county failed to build affordable housing in some of its most affluent and predominantly white communities even though it accepted $52 million from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The county settled the lawsuit Aug. 10.

________________________ ________________________ ___________________

This one issue is why the GOP is taking back Westchester and will make a comeback overall.  

The last liberal scumbag Admn made a deal with the FEDS totally against what the taxpayers wanted and now we have to deal with this.  

This is another reason I am leaving NY.  I have had it.  

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: And you guys wonder why I and others hate the Government?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »
This is another reason I am leaving NY.  I have had it.  

Get on down to S. Florida.  You will love it.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:17:10 AM »
HEAT??  Dude, don't buy into that myth.

You look at FTL and compare it to other cities in July and August and it is always a couple degrees cooler.  And the humidity is relatively light.  Because of it being on the path of trade winds, that keeps the humidity pushed out to the west.

Now you go to central FL or the Gulf Coast... it's a different story.  Hot and muggy.

But right now we are having the coldest spell on record for a long time and my Iphone weather app says it is 70 here.  You would never have to wrap that bald nogging in wool and fur again.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »
No argument from me. 

My GF is very close with her parents and wont leave here.

Same reason I'm in Assachusetts surrounded by liberals and red sox fans......
Y

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 08:33:21 AM »
New York Govt has never met a tax they didn't love.

In the same vein, we do have to address affordable housing at some point. Even though less educated people are ending up in service industries, expecting someone to commute for no money or be wage slaves to the rich is unreasonable.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 08:35:28 AM »
Texas yo we pays no state tax... ;)

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 09:00:23 AM »
If my GF could deal with the heat I would in a second. 

We are looking at parts of Connecticut right now where the property taxes are a fraction of what they are in Westchester. 

My uncle lives in a tiny place in Pelham, NY, on the border of the Bronx, and he pays 18k a year in property taxes for a tiny place. 

Move out west 333.  Fresh air, mountains, snow, wild game.  It's the place to be! Cold smoke powder ain't nothing like it!
Abandon every hope...

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »
If you know about Westchester, most of these rich areas are wall street people and high end NYC movers and shakers. 

Some of these people pay anywhere from 20k - 200k a year in property taxes alone. 

I cant afford most parts of Scarsdale or Bronxville since even the crappiest homes start at about 1.5 Million and up with 20k in taxes a year and up. 

HOWEVER, if I were to get to that point, I think I would go postal literally if the Fed Gov. plopped some people next to me who dont pay squat and drive down the value of my home. 

Let's waive a magic wand and make you worth $20M. Exactly how far are the people who mow lawns, skim pools, clean house, or wait on you hand and foot expected to commute for the privilege?

I'm not arguing the wealthy haven't inherited or earned a right to some exclusivity/isolation. Simply that without some reasonable accommodations for others the system ultimately fails.

My guess is the lack of compassion we feel towards others is a symptom of having too much hope.  :) Everyone struggling to make shit work still feels on some level they're going to inherit, win, or yank their own bootstraps hard enough and finally be super wealthy.