Author Topic: Too fat to fly. It's about time!!  (Read 6901 times)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Too fat to fly. It's about time!!
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-kevin-smith-kicked-off-southwest-flight-over-his-weight-makes-a-scene-o/#comments
Kevin Smith Kicked Off Southwest Flight Over His Weight, Makes A Scene On Twitter
Posted by: Jessica Wakeman Filed In: Celebs   
5:30PM, Sunday February 14th 2010

Comments (3)
Twitter/ThatKevinSmith
You’re too fat to fly! That’s what Southwest Airlines apparently told director Kevin Smith when they booted him off his plane to Burbank, according to his pissed off tweets on Saturday night. Smith’s heavyset frame was apparently so large that the person sitting next to him couldn’t move the armrest down. Silent Bob tweeted that “Captain Leysath” deemed him a “flight risk” because his size would make it difficult for other passengers to get past him in case of an emergency, so a flight attendant named “Suzanne” forced him off the plane and gave him a $100 voucher for another flight.

But, Smith warned on Twitter, “you f**ked with the wrong sedentary processed-foods eater!”

Since the incident Saturday night, Smith been manically tapping out tweets criticizing the airline for its “Person of Size policy.” A typical scathing rebuke is: “Hey @SouthwestAir? F*** making it right for me just ‘cause I have a platform. I sat next to a big girl who was chastised for not buy ing an extra ticket because “all passengers deserve their space.” F***ing flight wasn’t even full! F*** your size-ist policy. Rude…”

Southwest Airline’s blog responded with a post explaining their “Person of Size policy” in more detail, but the site is mad slow with all the people trying to read it. And in any case, Smith has given Southwest’s apology the finger, tweeting: “Dear F***tarded PR-Challenged Fatty-Haters at @SouthwestAir: Your “apology” blog is insulting, redacted bullsh**. FULL details in two hours.”

You can read the full drama at Kevin Smith’s Twitter feed. But honestly, it’s so confusing you probably shouldn’t bother! Just bide your time waiting for whatever hilariously insulting thing is being planned for when Silent Bob strikes back ...

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
Re: Too fat to fly. It's about time!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:19:59 PM »
I WAS ON A SOUTHWEST FLIGHT LAST WEEK AND THIS FAT FUCKER ASKED FOR A SEATBELT EXTENSION. I WAS DISGUSTED
U

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
I can't believe they felt they had to reward this fatass with a $100 voucher...disgusting

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »
I can't believe they felt they had to reward this fatass with a $100 voucher...disgusting

Haha dollar to donuts (pardon the pun) that voucher was redeemed in McDs or Dunkin Donuts or any one of the numerous fast food outlets in the airport.

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »
Haha dollar to donuts (pardon the pun) that voucher was redeemed in McDs or Dunkin Donuts or any one of the numerous fast food outlets in the airport.
ok so fully dressed Im well over 300 and at 6.3 does this mean I will be required to buy an extra seat too
I

Power

• Getbig III
  • Move along
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 05:50:47 PM »
ok so fully dressed Im well over 300 and at 6.3 does this mean I will be required to buy an extra seat too

Won't affect you as I am sure you have your own jet.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »

No, it means you'll get a blowjob from the stewardess after she serves you coffee.

Sir Bigness

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Get busy Living, or get busy Dying!!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 05:54:05 PM »
Typical!! US Fat Bastards!!  ;D  ;D

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 07:11:46 PM »
To hell with Corpulent Bob.
Almost always, yes.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 07:50:30 PM »
HAHAHA....I was doing cardio when I saw a snip from this story...

While I enjoy some of his stuff, I have to side with the Airline. Too many fat fuckers with no regard for anyone else.
HAHA, RON.....

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 08:13:31 PM »
No, it means you'll get a blowjob from the stewardess after she serves you coffee.
thank god I was worried for a moment. I am heading to vegas at the end of the month
I

Spoony Luv

• Getbig IV
  • FROM UP ABOVE!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 10:13:58 PM »
Seems like not so silent Bob needs to shut his pie hole before South West decides to go Ass to Mouth with his washed up self...

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »
Seems like not so silent Bob needs to shut his pie hole before South West decides to go Ass to Mouth with his washed up self...
yeah totally washed up millionaire punk kid. currently producing two tv shows and filming another major project as we speak
I

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 11:06:20 PM »

how does your height fluctuate so much?

i have never head of anyone going from 6'2 to 6'4 and then back down to 6'3.

maybe all the muscle you carry on your massive frame is causing your spine to compress.
b

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »
LOL at "person of size" policy.

PR wordsmith bullshit

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
FUCK FAT PEOPLE

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »
how does your height fluctuate so much?

i have never head of anyone going from 6'2 to 6'4 and then back down to 6'3.

maybe all the muscle you carry on your massive frame is causing your spine to compress.

He gets taller as his bullshit gets deeper
No Worries 4 me

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 12:11:27 AM »
If people want to be fat...fine, but others shouldn't have to suffer and sit next to them, stuff'em under the plane.

Spoony Luv

• Getbig IV
  • FROM UP ABOVE!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »
yeah totally washed up millionaire punk kid. currently producing two tv shows and filming another major project as we speak

Washed up in the fact that his progression as a director/writer has been piss poor...He's still relying on the same mundane humor of clerks...Chasing Amy and Clerks are the best thing this guy is ever going to do...He can't create anything of substance that doesn't translate to his past movies...Hell he's gotten so desperate he made comic books out of the characters...Yes he's filthy rich...Yes he has talent...But he has made nothing but garbage since Clerks and Chasing Amy...Ronnie Coleman can step on the mr. Olympia stage again and possibly even place in the top 10...But even if he does, he will be washed up...

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:17 AM »
Fuck at least finally someone is doing something about this bullshit, if you can't fit within the constraint's of your paid for seat then you should have to buy two or a 1st class ticket (larger seats) or just have a seperate charter airline for large people, u can just take out half the seats in the plane so these fat lardasses can let their muffin tops hang over all sides of their seat.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 03:28:55 AM »
I may be the only Getbigger to still fly coach, but has anyone flown lately? The seats are tiny and there isn't any leg or shoulder room. You just put up with some hours of being uncomfortable to get where you're going and hope that the person beside you doesn't yap the whole way.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 03:47:08 AM »
I may be the only Getbigger to still fly coach, but has anyone flown lately? The seats are tiny and there isn't any leg or shoulder room. You just put up with some hours of being uncomfortable to get where you're going and hope that the person beside you doesn't yap the whole way.
X2 and being tall dont help my knees are up iback of the seat in front, while on the subject you got to pay for luggage and food now what happened to the good ole days? Smoking on a plane, free meals, leg room. I am quitting they can all go bankrupt.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 03:54:53 AM »
If you're so fat that you require numerous seats when flying, what are the chances of you being able to fit through the emergency exits?

Ban them on health and safety grounds.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 04:11:19 AM »
Washed up in the fact that his progression as a director/writer has been piss poor...He's still relying on the same mundane humor of clerks...Chasing Amy and Clerks are the best thing this guy is ever going to do...He can't create anything of substance that doesn't translate to his past movies...Hell he's gotten so desperate he made comic books out of the characters...Yes he's filthy rich...Yes he has talent...But he has made nothing but garbage since Clerks and Chasing Amy...Ronnie Coleman can step on the mr. Olympia stage again and possibly even place in the top 10...But even if he does, he will be washed up...

I love Clerks but am forced to admit the truth of the above, more or less.  Dogma was fairly original, more so than Amy imo.  But Clerks 2 omfg.  :-X

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 07:59:44 AM »
Not about the weight - if you are too big in width - and your arms are invading the space of someone else, or you can bring down the armrest, you need two seats.

Now, with Southwest, they will only charge you for two seats if the place is 100% full.  But you need to buy two seats in advance, and they will refund it to you.  I think it is a great policy.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html

Is the policy unique or new to Southwest Airlines?

No, other carriers have similar policies, but to the best of our knowledge, no other carrier offers a refund after travel. We’ve followed this policy for 29 of our 38 years of operation, but only became more vigilant regarding the additional purchase when we began seeing an increase in the number of valid complaints from passengers who traveled without full access to the seat purchased because a large Customer infringed upon the adjacent seating space.

Why ask large Customers to purchase additional seating?

We could no longer ignore complaints from Customers who traveled without full access to the seat purchased due to encroachment by a large seatmate whose body extended into the neighboring seat. These Customers had uncomfortable (and sometimes painful) travel experiences, and it is our responsibility to seek resolution to prevent this problem.

What is the cost of the additional seating?

If the Customer is holding an advance purchase, discounted fare, the second seat will be sold at the same discounted fare. If the Customer has purchased one of our low, unrestricted full fares, the second seat will be sold at the Child’s Fare.

What is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size?

The armrest is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size. It serves as the boundary between seats and measures 17 inches in width. Customers who are unable to lower both armrests and/or who compromise any portion of adjacent seating should proactively book the number of seats needed prior to travel.
How do I qualify for and request a refund of the additional seat purchase? As long as the flight does not oversell (having more confirmed Customers waiting to board an aircraft than seats on the aircraft), we will refund the additional seat purchase after travel. A Refund Advice Slip, a guide for conveniently requesting refunds (via telephone or letter), is provided to the Customer of size at checkin. And, if it appears a flight will oversell, the option to purchase a second seat and travel on a less full flight is available.

Are there other reasons to purchase additional seating?

Yes, Customers wishing to secure in an aircraft seat a musical item, a child restraint device for an infant, etc. must purchase an additional ticket. However, these Customers have other "options" such as holding an infant under the age of two as a lap child or placing the instrument in an onboard stowage space or in the cargo hold, and we are sensitive to fact that a large Customer has no option regarding seating space. For that reason, we offer a refund of the additional seat purchased (by a Customer of size) as long as the flight does not oversell.

Won’t this be embarrassing to the large Customer and the Employee?

It’s tough to speak privately in an airport setting, and because a discussion about size is sensitive, we’ve cautioned our Employees to use discretion. Yes, it’s difficult to deliver or receive a sensitive message, and to alleviate confusion, we encourage Customers with unique seating needs to proactively purchase additional seating (again, this is to notify us of the unique need). We ask this to accommodate our Customers in comfort and avoid embarrassing conversation. Ultimately, it is the Customer’s responsibility to communicate with us upfront (at the time of booking) about his/her seating needs so that we may best serve him/her and all others onboard.

I am a large person and use a seatbelt extension, but I fit in one aircraft seat. Do I have to purchase two seats?

Our policy does not focus on weight, and the seatbelt extension is not the determining factor. We use the ability to lower the armrests as the gauge, as the armrests are truly the definitive boundary between each seat.

Are all overweight people subject to the policy?

Many Americans are "overweight" or "clinically obese." A number of overweight or obese people occupy only one seat. In fact, many Customers may use a seatbelt extension but occupy only one seat, and these Customers would not be asked to reserve a second seat. If a Customer cannot lower the armrest (and is unable to comfortably travel with it in the down position), he/she is required to pay for the additional seat occupied. Again, we will offer a refund if the flight does not oversell.

I’m large but can be seated with the armrests down. Aren’t your Employees wrong to question me?

If a concern exists, we shouldn’t ignore it even if it’s difficult for both parties to discuss. Condoning an unsafe, cramped seating arrangement onboard our aircraft is far more inappropriate than simply questioning a Customer’s fit in our seats.

Why not make your seats wider or add a few wide seats on your aircraft?

Our ongoing goal is to operate a low-fare, low cost airline, and the costs of reconfiguring our fleet would be staggering and would ultimately reflect in the form of higher fares for our Customers. Purchasing two seats on Southwest Airlines is significantly less expensive than purchasing one first class seat on another airline.

If a flight is "open," why are you charging for an additional seat?

A Customer of size has no way of knowing at the time of booking if his/her flights will be full. The inconsistency of charging for the extra seat on one occasion and not others leaves the Customer not knowing what to expect and not having a full understanding of our policy. Thus, we require the additional purchase despite booking levels.

Why can’t two large Customers share their second seat?

Open seating cannot guarantee that there will be an entire row open for two Customers to sit together and share the middle seat on each leg of the trip.

Why can’t a large Customer sit with a family member who doesn’t mind being encroached upon or a small child/person who doesn’t take a full seat?

Open seating cannot guarantee that two people will be able to sit together. In addition, we must treat the smaller person (despite willingness or personal relationship) as a valued Customer who deserves the use of a full seat. Most importantly, we have to consider the safety aspect of the family member whose movement (especially in the event of an emergency) could be compromised if encroached on by a large seatmate.

Isn’t this policy just another way to increase your revenue?

No, we are not "making money" from this policy. In addition to giving the Customer a refund for the second seat, we are absorbing the administrative costs (staffing and processing) of issuing the refund. 98 percent of extra seat purchases qualify for a refund, as a refund request is declined only in the event of an oversale that causes us to deny transportation to a confirmed Customer (to whom we must issue denied boarding compensation).

If a Customer has broad shoulders, will he/she have to buy a second seat?

Again, if a Customer cannot lower the armrests, the additional purchase is necessary. Simply having broad shoulders would not necessarily prevent another Customer from occupying adjoining seat. The upper body can be adjusted, but the portion of the body in the actual seating and armrest area doesn’t have this flexibility.

Why isn’t this information on your tickets, referenced on the booking/reservations pages of your web site, or questioned by your Reservations Employees?

We estimate that the Customer of size policy affects far less than half a percent of our Customers, and ultimately, it is the responsibility of a Customer with a unique and unusual need to communicate with us upfront so that we may best serve him/her and all others onboard. We won’t know of an unusual need unless the Customer tells us.

Doesn’t your policy violate the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Air Carrier Access Act?

Interstate airline travel is specifically excluded from Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) by Section 12141(2). Airline travel is instead covered by the Air Carrier Access Act, 49 U.S.C. 1374(c) and the regulations implementing the Act issued by the Department of Transportation as 14 CFR Part 382, et seq. The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) preceded the ADA, and Congress excluded air carriers and other air transportation services from the scope of ADA. As regulated under 14 CFR §382.38 Seating accommodations (i) "Carriers are not required to furnish more than one seat per ticket or to provide a seat in a class of service other than the one the passenger has purchased."

Can I be preapproved as needing only one seat?

Because size can fluctuate, we are unable to give blanket authorization.

How will you ensure no one takes the seat beside me if I’ve purchased a second seat?

The Customer who has purchased two seats must be an active participant in preserving his/her additional seat. We encourage Customers of size to preboard to locate adequate seating, placing the Reserved Seat Document in the adjacent seat. Our Ground Operations and Inflight Employees communicate about special needs Customers, and if a Customer of size needs seating assistance, he/she should ask an Employee for help.

I’m pregnant, will I have to purchase two seats?

A woman who is pregnant does not occupy two seats if she can lower the armrests.

Can I check in using an E-Ticket Check-In kiosk or online checkin?

Because a Customer of size has special seating needs; is encouraged to preboard; and needs specific boarding/seating documents, these Customers are required to check in with a Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter or at the gate. A Skycap can assist a Customer of size with baggage and provide an escort to the ticket counter, and a Customer of size wishing to bypass the ticket counter may simply print a Security Document online for access through the security checkpoint. At checkin, a Customer of size will receive a boarding pass, Reserved Seat Document, Refund Advice Slip, and preboarding direction.

Isn’t this policy discriminatory toward large Customers?

Southwest Airlines does not condone discrimination in any form. We have Employees and Customers of all races, ethnicity, religions, shapes, and sizes. Our Mission and our responsibility per our Contract of Carriage is to provide safe and comfortable air transportation for each and every Customer. This policy has been upheld in court and is supported by the Department of Transportation’s stance that the purchase of a single ticket offers the use of a single seat.