Author Topic: Captain America, the greatest hero ever created...do you agree?  (Read 7066 times)

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
Captain America, the greatest hero ever created...do you agree?
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:30:09 AM »
Captain America: The Greatest Hero Ever Created!!

There can be no doubt that Superman, Batman, Spider-man and Captain America lead the charge as the greatest heroes in comics. All have a sense of responsibility to protect the innocent and help the weak at all cost. But who is the greatest "pure" hero of the bunch? I think its Captain America and I'll try to prove it. Even if you don't like the character, Captain America has to be admired and respected for being the person that he is and doing what only he can do.

Big time props should go out to Joe Simon and Jack Kirby for creating a truly inspiring hero for all kids to see in December of 1940 with Captain America #1 from Timely Comics (which would later become Marvel). Leaping forth and punching Hitler in the face made a statement that no one could ignore. Here was this hero dressed up in red, white and blue with a shield fighting for every man, women, and child in America so they could have their freedom. People needed hope and a hero back in the 40's and comics gave them Captain America!! He immediately became the most prominent and enduring of a wave of patriotically themed superheroes introduced in American comics prior to and during World War II. With his sidekick Bucky, Captain America faced Nazis, Japanese and other threats to wartime America. Sure Cap wasn't the first inspirational patriotic hero (The Shield from MLJ or Archie Comics beat Cap out by fourteen months) but he was defiantly the most popular and enduring.

But why Captain America and not Superman as the greatest hero ever?

Sure Superman was the first true comic-book superstar who graced the pages of Action Comics #1 by DC Comics in June of 1938. Before him, the heroes of the industry were mere mortals and funny animals; after him, the public's demand for more sent the publishers back to the drawing board to create entire universes of super-powered beings. The very fact we call them superheroes testifies to the place Superman that occupies in the pantheon of our modern-day heroes.

For all his strength and powers, though, Superman's continued popularity also lies in the fact that he is a symbol of everything that's good about mankind. Compassionate but firm, he is the symbol that reminds us that good will always triumph over evil. But no man in the world could ever be what Superman is. That is also Supes biggest flaw when it comes to his comparison to Captain America.

Cap is all the things mentioned above but he is also just a man. Sure he was a weak skinny kid made into the peak of human perfection by the super solider serum. But he still has to train everyday to stay this way. He wears a suit that makes him a target for all to see armed with only an indestructible shield and the will to protect the American dream. He is the most respected and recognizable hero the Marvel Universe has ever seen who inspires a nation and even other super-powered beings as well as powerful Gods from far off fabled lands. And he does all this by being just a man. He isn't impervious to all danger like Superman is. He can't fly at super speeds, survive direct hits from atomic missiles and lift buildings over his head with ease. He is a human being who shows the common man that each of us possesses all the superpowers we need to be heroes ourselves.

Superman has a vast array of powers at his disposal and chooses to use them for the better of mankind knowing he rarely will ever be in danger by anything Earth can throw at him (his tagline, "This is a job for Superman!") Being DC's most powerful hero he is essentially perfect while commanding the respect of his peers in the DC Universe. Cap is a man with flaws and limits who chooses to be the target and center of the battlefield with his life on the line at every instant without the benefit of any superpowers. He battles against all kinds of threats from human to superhuman!! And he'll do it while commanding the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe who have faith/respect in him to lead them to victory. For this reason I shall always believe that Cap is a better "pure" hero than Superman.

Even Batman doesn't command the respect and praise Cap does.

Not that Batman is any slouch in terms of abilities and presence. He is physically at the peak of human ability in dozens of areas, notably martial arts, acrobatics, strength, and escape artistry. Intellectually, he is just as peerless; Batman is one of the world's greatest scientists, criminologists, and tacticians, as well as a master of disguise. He is regarded as one of the DC Universe's greatest detectives. Rather than simply out-fighting his opponents, Batman often uses cunning and planning to outwit them. He is arguably a Renaissance man in the sheer variety and depth of his knowledge and skills. In his identity as Bruce Wayne, he is also one of the world's foremost businessmen, making Wayne Industries into one of the wealthiest companies in the world.

Cap also has no superhuman powers, although as a result of the Super-Soldier serum, he is transformed from frail Steve Rogers into a "perfect" specimen of human development and conditioning. Captain America is as intelligent, strong, fast, agile, and durable as it is possible for a human being to be without being considered superhuman. He was once seen bench-pressing 1100 lbs. unassisted. The formula enhances all of his metabolic functions and prevents the build-up of fatigue poisons in his muscles, giving him endurance far in excess of an ordinary human being. This accounts for many of his extraordinary feats, including running a mile in a little more than a minute. Furthermore, his enhancements are the reason why he was able to survive being frozen in suspended animation for decades. Cap is also unable to become intoxicated by alcohol and is immune to many diseases.

Mentally, Cap's battle experience and training make him an expert tactician and an excellent field commander, with his teammates frequently deferring to his orders in battle. Rogers' reflexes and senses are also extraordinarily keen. He is a master of multiple martial arts, including boxing, jiu jitsu, and judo, combined with his virtually superhuman gymnastic ability into his own unique fighting style with advanced pressure-point fighting. Years of practice with his indestructible shield make it practically an extension of his own body, and he is able to aim and throw it with almost unerring accuracy and even ricochet the shield to hit multiple targets. He is extremely skilled in hand-to-hand combat, sometimes taking on and defeating foes whose strength, size, or superpowers greatly exceed his. In the comics, he is regarded by other skilled fighters as the best hand-to-hand combatant in the Marvel Universe.

Cap has vast U.S. military knowledge and is often shown to be familiar with ongoing, highly-classified Defense Department operations. He also has a broad understanding of the espionage community, largely through his ongoing relationship with S.H.I.E.L.D. He occasionally makes forays into mundane career fields, including commercial arts, comic book artistry, education (high school history) and law enforcement.

The two are very comparable when it comes to overall abilities, grit, determination and willpower. It's anyone's guess who really is the better (even though Cap is physically Batman's superior). Both put their lives on the line against all comers and are usually the last ones left standing in battle. But that is where the comparison's end. Batman uses fear, stealth, gadgets and his own plan regardless of what his teammates want. And there lies Batman's biggest flaw…ego. Batman is not a team player because time and time again he does what he thinks is right in a situation. Even when he is in command of the JLA many of his orders and methods are questioned, he quite simply loses their trust and faith. While Cap has absolutely no ego and uses his genuine battle experience and expertise to lead his team to win. No one would ever question what Cap does or say because what Cap does better than ANY comic book hero is WIN pure and simple! Even Batman in the JLA/Avengers limited-series (2003-2004) steps back and is lead by who else…Captain America!! When it comes to pure RESPECT by his peers even Batman takes a back seat to Cap. This is why Cap is a much greater "pure" hero than even Batman.

As for Spider-man??

Spidey is a true hero because the superhero life has never been easy for him. Until recently, the people always loved Cap (most of the time) and Superman. They're recognized as heroes, supported by the government, and their battles are usually straight up right vs. wrong. Spiderman's life, on the other hand, would be much better if he stopped being a hero. Being Spider-man has made his life hell and he sees no reward from it and is even recognized as a criminal, but he keeps doing it because it's the right thing to do. Spider-man is a symbol for overcoming adversity, not giving up, and doing the right thing even when it hurts you. But truth be told, Spidey is this way because of Captain America. He looks up to Cap as the living, breathing and fighting symbol of freedom and wants to be just like him. That's the big difference between the two; Cap is doing what he will always do in the face of adversity and everyone around him knows it and is inspired by it!!! Even though Spider-man is a "pure" hero in every sense of the word, Captain America IS the hero he's trying to be.

Cap is so much more than an American created comic book character. He also represents the will, dedication, and honor of the great founding fathers of America's past. Cap embodies the spirit and drive these great people in America's history had to make life better for all..

If I had to compare Cap to anyone who ever lived in reality it would have to be good ol' George Washington!! If you don't have a clue about the background of our 1st president of the U.S. then read on and notice the similarities these two icons have in common (especially the willpower Cap is so known for); George trekked through miles and miles of uncharted territory on horseback and foot with nothing but his balls, his blankets, his musket and other primitive 18th century means. In his mid- 40's he left his wealthy wife and secure estate lifestyle and rode off on horseback into a presumably unwinnable Revolution where he threw himself time and time again directly into the line of fire and afforded himself no special privileges. He practiced what he preached and he fell to his knees and prayed for the courage and discipline and restraint to not be so weak in his manliness to fail so again. He wrote eloquent letters, authored his own speeches, and scribbled down his own moral guide consisting of 101 Rules of Civility (at the age of 16), all of them using a bottle of India ink and a bird's feather while under the light of a lantern or a fireplace fire. He refused to be a King when he could have been, causing even King George III to remark, ""If true, then he is the greatest man in the world." His name and his life made it all possible. He had one dream to live by to FREE ALL Of MANKIND from ANY kind of tyranny, then and forever.

Sound familiar to our red, white and blue hero?

It truly boggles my mind on how great of a TRUE hero Captain America really is. He deserves the respect as comics GREATEST HERO EVER CREATED!!

NUFF SAID.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Captain America, the greatest hero ever created...do you agree?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:49:35 AM »
I like Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law

pugalist666

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 04:50:36 AM »
captain america is a blatant homosexual

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 04:57:30 AM »
He was created to boost moral of our fighting soilders in france when we were fighting the germans,even the comic books showed him fighting in the war..

homo i think not unlike batman with his '' boy wonder'' :-X 
p

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 05:01:19 AM »
Capt America rules!

mossel

• Getbig IV
  • I blame it on the D-bol!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:04:11 AM »
my favorite...

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 05:09:28 AM »
Capt America rules!
Hey chick i was watching malcom in the middle last night and saw you in a cameo what year was that...
p

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 05:10:57 AM »
my favorite...

wasnt that from spider man were the guy invented black holes so he could jump from one place to another.
p

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 05:13:17 AM »
Hey chick i was watching malcom in the middle last night and saw you in a cameo what year was that...

04 I think...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 05:16:25 AM »

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 05:18:09 AM »
04 I think...
Have you ever thought about dropping weight and going main stream,being a pro bb you will always be type casted........
p

slicksta

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 05:49:08 AM »
Capt America, Superman, Spiderman, Batman etc... all PUSSIES compared to this gentleman.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:01:56 AM »

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 06:23:13 AM »
Capt America, Superman, Spiderman, Batman etc... all PUSSIES compared to this gentleman.
The hulk is just like a pro bb dumb as shit and as soon as he comes down of the juice he shrivels up to a 165 pound twink ;D
p

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 07:04:27 AM »
The hulk is just like a pro bb dumb as shit and as soon as he comes down of the juice he shrivels up to a 165 pound twink ;D

Actually Bruce Banner weighs 128 1/2 ibs. ;D

Power

• Getbig III
  • Move along
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 07:22:56 AM »
Captain America + Super soldier Serum = All Drugs

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 07:29:26 AM »

;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 08:07:11 AM »
Doctor Manhattan. No doubt.
F

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 08:18:37 AM »

all he ever wanted was what was best for mankind

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Captain America couldn't get his head wrapped around the fact that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, who are brother and sister, were seeing each other.

Joe Mad drew him the best in The Ultimates 3

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »
Captain America couldn't get his head wrapped around the fact that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, who are brother and sister, were seeing each other.

Joe Mad drew him the best in The Ultimates 3
as the world turns stay tuned for next weeks show ;D
p

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »
as the world turns stay tuned for next weeks show ;D
Yeah, Capt, was like "WTF", and of course to perfect the Super Soldier Serum, they used it on black soldiers, most of them died due to side effects.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
Yeah, Capt, was like "WTF", and of course to perfect the Super Soldier Serum, they used it on black soldiers, most of them died due to side effects.

Them's the breaks in the 30's and 40's.

jumpstart

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
here's some cool comicbook art here!

jumpstart

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 10:20:05 PM »
number 2