Author Topic: Ed Corney training and diet q&a  (Read 6222 times)

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Ed Corney training and diet q&a
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
Question: How many bodyparts do you train in one workout session?

Answer: That depends. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I work my abdominals, chest, shoulders, biceps and forearms. . . and my calves. On the other days I work my legs, calves, back, triceps and the abdominals one more time.

Question: Earlier someone asked if you liked supersets. I am not sure you answered that. Do you?

Answer: Sometimes I use them. It all depends on how I feel during a workout. I am very much an instinctive trainer. What I am after is a certain feel, a certain something that tells me I am getting what I want from a particular workout.

Question: Explain that certain feel you referred to.

Answer: That's a good one. It's something very personal that you have to experience to fully understand. It's as if you can feel your muscles growing from a set. . . You look in the mirror and you know you've hit your target: It feels good, believe me. .

Question: Do you prefer high or low repetitions? And how about sets?

Answer: I do not generally count my sets. After you have been training as many years as I have, you soon get to know your body reactions well. I go on until something in my head tells me a bodypart has had enough. Then I go on to something else. Call it instinct if you like. But I would say I hardly ever go over twenty sets a bodypart.

Question: Judging by your pictures taken at the 1976 Mr. Olympia contest you seem to have made considerable improvement in your muscular definition. How did you achieve that?

Answer: Well, I think it came as a result of a combination of things. In the first place I kept my mind on just the contest this year. The year before that, well I was doing exhibitions all over the place and I completely mistimed myself. I trained a lot harder for the '77 contest too. And then my diet played an important part too.

Question: How often do you train?

Answer: I train six days a week, whether in the off-season or at contest time. The difference is in the training intensity. For the first part of the year I will train just eight sets per bodypart, concentrating on building power, going after heavier training poundages. But with a contest approaching I train longer because of the increased sets and so on. But it still adds up to six days a week training.

Question: Do you drop carbohydrates from your diet before a contest?

Answer: If you mean do I eliminate carbs from my diet altogether at contest time then the answer is no. But I do go down to about 50 grams. That's what I did for the ''77 OlympIa and It seems to have worked!

Question: Do you take supplements with your meals?

Answer: Yes, I use B, C and E, kelp, dessicated liver, multi-vitamins, amino acids, minerals. Every bodyuilder should take those. But I'm not a supplements freak at this point in my training. They are necessary, however.

Question: Would you outline your normal training diet?

Answer: My protein intake through the year is approxirnately 200 grams daily. I take about 150 grams of carbodrates. I gradually decrease that intake until the last week before a contest so that I'll be consuming 160 grams of protein and about 25 grams of carbohydrates.

What the fuck? Out of all absurdities I've heard this has to take the cake. That's 1500 kcals offseason and not even 900 precontest lol

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: Ed Corney training and diet q&a
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:48:49 AM »
You got to love that 35 years ago bodybuilders knew about the negative effect of carbs yet it took decades before the general public realized the same shit.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »
blah...blah...sets...bla h...reps...blah...carbs. ..blah  fuk all that.  let's hear about your drug cycles you old queen.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »
Must have been heavy considering he ate less food than some Ethiopians