Author Topic: Rugby player banned after positive HGH test  (Read 3118 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Rugby player banned after positive HGH test
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:48:15 AM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4938135

LONDON -- In a major breakthrough in the fight against doping, a British rugby league player has become the first athlete to be suspended for using human growth hormone.

Terry Newton admitted taking the substance in a statement released by his attorneys on Friday. The United Kingdom Anti-Doping authority announced a two-year ban on Monday after Newton was fired by his club, Wakefield.

"It's the first time and very significant," WADA director general David Howman said. "It shows the people who say that HGH cannot be detected that it can. The sports people who said it can't be detected are fooling themselves."

HGH is banned in the major North American sports leagues, most notably by baseball since 2005. But amid the lack of an effective test, there has not been testing for the substance.

Travis Tygart, the chief executive of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, said the British finding blasts a hole in that thinking, according to the New York Daily News.

"All of us who have helped develop a test wouldn't put it in place if it wasn't forensically sound and reliable." Tygart said, according to the Daily News. "Particularly in [Newton's] case, it's proof positive the test works."

UK Anti-Doping chief executive Andy Parkinson said it was a landmark case.

"It is the world-first analytical positive for HGH, a substance that has previously gone undetected because it leaves the system fairly quickly after administration," Parkinson said.

Parkinson said this case, like the tests for the banned blood-boosting hormone EPO, sends out a message that scientists are catching up with cheats.

"There has been a feeling that you can take growth hormone with impunity, but this shows this is no longer the case," Parkinson said. "Now there is a test, so our message to athletes is to think twice about using it.

"In the 1990s, athletes thought they could get away with using EPO and now there is a test for it. And the same is now the case with human growth hormone."

UK Anti-Doping and its drug control center at King's College London worked closely with the World Anti-Doping Agency throughout the analysis process.

Howman said the HGH test has been around since the 2004 Athens Olympics, but it hasn't been available to every laboratory in the world. The testing kits weren't widely available and the process was only fully introduced at the 2008 Beijing Games.

"There's been a lot of cynicism that it's not going to work and couldn't be detected," Howman said. "Now that we have a case, I hope it delivers a message to others that are using it that it's a risk."

By acting on the liver and other tissues, HGH increases bone growth and plays a key role in muscle and organ growth. That makes it a prohibited substance under WADA's list of prohibited substances.

Professor David Cowan, director of the center at King's College London, said that Newton's ban represented a significant step in how science can catch cheats.

"This is an exciting, major breakthrough that has been the result of many years of careful research with WADA," Cowan said. "The detection of substances that are virtually identical to our natural hormones has always represented a challenge.

"This shows how science has closed an important gap and further enhances our ability to deter the cheating athlete to ensure the integrity of sport and promote healthy competition."

The 31-year-old Newton's suspension will end Nov. 23, 2011. He had recently signed a two-year deal with the Wildcats after playing for Leeds, Wigan and Bradford.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: Rugby player banned after positive HGH test
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:51:34 AM »
All propaganda to put fear into athletes.  They can test the NFL and MLB and easily find 60% or more that are positive but they can't because the tests are shit.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:53:10 AM »
df

spinnis

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 08:53:41 AM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=321018.0

thats what toy get for posting a lame ass title, Half the work goes into the title! ;D

Anyway, Im glad they banned him before he went on a rage and killed someone  ::) ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:01:03 AM »
Told you guys 2 years ago there was a test for and everyone thought I was full of shit.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »
Told you guys 2 years ago there was a test for and everyone thought I was full of shit.

Tell us how the test works.  Are you compared to your own baseline or to a normal range? 

Either way, the test is bullshit, just as we all said.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »
I'd like to know how the test works as well...

spinnis

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:15 AM »

Is that a new shot, bro?  Looking yoked! (no homo)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »

Can't you see WADA is full of shit?

Notice this very important part: Terry Newton admitted taking the substance. He should never have done it. Then we could've seen if it really stands a trial. My guess is no.

WADA said the test was ready in 2000. It was all bullshit.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/QA_hGH_En.pdf

It's also documented in JAMA as well. (I can't copy and paste that).

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »
Can't you see WADA is full of shit?

x2

I read the 'fact sheet' published by WADA and there's not a single mention of how the test works.  So they look at antibodies.  Woooooo...  ::)

The fact that frozen samples can be kept for years and tested later tells us what we want to know - that they're likely looking to compare you vs. what they feel is your baseline - but the reality is that all of our levels change over time and even THROUGHOUT THE DAY, so their so-called test is bullshit.  They're simply trying to preserve their authority - and the funding that goes with it - in this arena.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »
http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/QA_hGH_En.pdf

It's also documented in JAMA as well. (I can't copy and paste that).

I know all that. The question is is it foolproof. Is there close to no chance of false positives? This guy should have contested it, then we would know. Out of the thousands of blood tests they have taken, is this Rugby player the only one to have taken it recently?
I'm pretty sure this was a blood test too, probably unannounced. Does the UFC do blood tests? Do they do unannounced tests? If not on both counts, or even the last one, then the fighters can still use it with impunity even if the test is reliable. Just stop use a few hours earlier.

x2

I read the 'fact sheet' published by WADA and there's not a single mention of how the test works.  So they look at antibodies.  Woooooo...  ::)

The fact that frozen samples can be kept for years and tested later tells us what we want to know - that they're likely looking to compare you vs. what they feel is your baseline - but the reality is that all of our levels change over time and even THROUGHOUT THE DAY, so their so-called test is bullshit.  They're simply trying to preserve their authority - and the funding that goes with it - in this arena.

Yup

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30:58 AM »
I know all that. The question is is it foolproof. Is there close to no chance of false positives? This guy should have contested it, then we would know. Out of the thousands of blood tests they have taken, is this Rugby player the only one to have taken it recently?
I'm pretty sure this was a blood test too, probably unannounced. Does the UFC do blood tests? Do they do unannounced tests? If not on both counts, or even the last one, then the fighters can still use it with impunity even if the test is reliable. Just stop use a few hours earlier.

Yup

It's not a matter of whether the UFC does testing, in most states they are REQUIRED to test to stay within the rules of the state athletic commissions. The fighters have to pay for the all the medicals themselves. The HGH testing is very expensive, gettiing the UFC to pay for anything is like pulling teeth with pliers. They are CHEEP and will cut corners whenever possible. The lower caliber fighters don't make shit.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 10:32:08 AM »
x2

JAMA has it. (I guess you missed that part)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »

Yup

Nothing is foolproof.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Nothing is foolproof.

Sure. But there are degrees reliability. Matching DNA isn't foolproof either but very reliable.

If an athlete isn't blood tested unannounced then he can still use hGH with impunity even if this test is reliable.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »
They will never test for growth hormone, they can't because everyone uses it. It would be the end of sports.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »
Sure. But there are degrees reliability. Matching DNA isn't foolproof either but very reliable.

If an athlete isn't blood tested unannounced then he can still use hGH with impunity even if this test is reliable.

And even then, the agent has to be lucky enough to show up at the athlete's doorstep within an hour of the previous injection.

LOL

spinnis

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »
Is that a new shot, bro?  Looking yoked! (no homo)

yeah a few min before I posted it hehe =)

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 11:39:45 AM »
Nothing is foolproof.

coach doesn't beleive in carbon dating...how can he beleive in drug testing?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »
yeah a few min before I posted it hehe =)

All blue top GH, UG test prop and Anahexia dbol

spinnis

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
All blue top GH, UG test prop and Anahexia dbol

WANNA BET?!?!?!  ;D

both gh and anahexia is expensive as shit right now lol.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »
They will never test for growth hormone, they can't because everyone uses it. It would be the end of sports.

Actually, I find it ridiculous how much funds they have spent chasing a valid test for this compound - over 20 years! Everyone knows it doesn't do all that much. But it's always brought up when drug testing is talked about, a black eye, so they have to be able to say they can detect it. Congratulations, now you can presumably detect it during a very narrow window. Oh shit, athletes went back to cadaver GH, various forms of IGF-1, etc.  :D ::)