Author Topic: Is drinking out of plastic bad for you?  (Read 3899 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Is drinking out of plastic bad for you?
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:33:24 AM »
Someone said you shouldn't refill plastic bottles as chemicals tend to seep into your water the more you refill them.

What about drinking out of styrofoam cups or metal?

Is glass the best?

If so, are there any glass interior containers that you could carry w/you w/o fear of breakage?
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Is drinking out of plastic bad for you?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
I'm not really sure, I have an aluminum water bottle.  Not sure if that is any better.

I think BPA is what's bad for you, I think some plastic is BPA free.

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=bpa+water+bottles&btnG=Google+Search
S

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »
Someone said you shouldn't refill plastic bottles as chemicals tend to seep into your water the more you refill them.

Is glass the best?

If so, are there any glass interior containers that you could carry w/you w/o fear of breakage?
I heard this also, then I thought about how long water/soda sit in bottles before they are bought and used. It doesn't make sense that refilling a plastic bottle is going to release some kind of chemical when typically you are refilling the bottle to drink the water immidiately. I would be more concerned about the water that has been sitting in the bottle for months.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »
I heard this also, then I thought about how long water/soda sit in bottles before they are bought and used. It doesn't make sense that refilling a plastic bottle is going to release some kind of chemical when typically you are refilling the bottle to drink the water immidiately. I would be more concerned about the water that has been sitting in the bottle for months.
yeah, i agree

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
Plastic is safe depending on the type of plastic used.
check the recycle label on the bottom
#1 ok for one time use, but not to refill, there is slight chemical seeping over a long time ( months )
#2, #4, #5 are safe to refill and don't seep
#7 ( colorful ) known to seep rapidly, and can cause unwanted hormonal effects ( see text below )
Most bottled water is #1 which is very cheap to manufacture, next time you buy bottled water you might want to check to make sure it hasn't been sitting on that palate at Sams Club for a couple years.

Unfortunately, those fabulous colourful hard plastic lexan bottles made with polycarbonate plastics and identified by the #7 recycling symbol, may leach BPA. Bisphenol A is a xenoestrogen, a known endocrine disruptor, meaning it disturbs the hormonal messaging in our bodies. Synthetic xenoestrogens are linked to breast cancer and uterine cancer in women, decreased testosterone levels in men, and are particularly devastating to babies and young children. BPA has even been linked to insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »
#1 ok for one time use, but not to refill, there is slight chemical seeping over a long time ( months )
#7 ( colorful ) known to seep rapidly, and can cause unwanted hormonal effects ( see text below )
Most bottled water is #1 which is very cheap to manufacture, next time you buy bottled water you might want to check to make sure it hasn't been sitting on that palate at Sams Club for a couple years.

Unfortunately, those fabulous colourful hard plastic lexan bottles made with polycarbonate plastics and identified by the #7 recycling symbol, may leach BPA. Bisphenol A is a xenoestrogen, a known endocrine disruptor, meaning it disturbs the hormonal messaging in our bodies. Synthetic xenoestrogens are linked to breast cancer and uterine cancer in women, decreased testosterone levels in men, and are particularly devastating to babies and young children. BPA has even been linked to insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes.

That's why I replaced all my #7 bottles with BPA-free ones.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 07:02:31 AM »
Thanks for all this information!
R

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:27:30 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.

I pulled out the tin bottle today - I hate the opening though.
:

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »
Better get rid of my lead water bottle with its asbestos lining.  :-X

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 07:25:12 AM »
Better get rid of my lead water bottle with its asbestos lining.  :-X

That is a real mans water bottle right there.  The kind a lumber jack would use.
S

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »

QFT

It also depends on what country you happpen to be in. Some countries have banned  Bisphenol A in plastic bottles.
w

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
I use a green canteen now. Saves me a lot of money, very conveniant, great container. For $4 bucks I don't see why not? I take it everywhere with me. I drink a gallon of water a day, not sure why you WOULDN'T use one? Plus I hate touching plastic. I will avoid it if I can.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:10:48 AM »
Is drinking out of plastic bad for you?

Not really, except if the beverage is really hot. The petroleum compounds of plastic don't leek out unless you expose it to very high temperatures.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 02:39:42 PM »

Is glass the best?

only if youre centopani.

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »
Can somebody throw out a good brand thats safe.. yes google exists but im lazy and dont want to trust someone off the boards.  Great topic btw

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 11:39:59 AM »
Can somebody throw out a good brand thats safe.. yes google exists but im lazy and dont want to trust someone off the boards.  Great topic btw

I was at Target yesterday and saw a large BPA free "insulated" refillable no-leak bottle that would have been perfect...but then saw it was made in China which made me nervous so I didn't buy it.

I will keep looking and post if I find something!
R

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »
 Don't use aluminum.

Use stainless steel. Totally safe.