Author Topic: Stimulus Money Shouldn't Go Overseas, Say Democratic Senators. Ha Ha!  (Read 1687 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Stimulus Money Shouldn't Go Overseas, Say Democratic Senators
FREDERIC J. FROMMER | 03/ 3/10 04:15 AM | 

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON — A group of Democratic senators is urging the Obama administration to suspend an economic stimulus program aimed at financing renewable energy, complaining that money is going to projects that are creating jobs in foreign countries.

The four senators, led by Chuck Schumer of New York, wrote to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner on Tuesday to request a moratorium on the Recovery Act program. They asked that the moratorium remain in place until they can pass legislation mandating stimulus aid flow only to projects which preserve and create U.S. jobs.

"A critical Recovery Act priority is investment in the domestic renewable and clean energy industry, not investment in foreign manufacturers," the senators wrote in the letter, obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press. The letter, which will be disclosed at a news conference Wednesday, was also signed by Sens. Sherrod Brown of Ohio, Robert Casey of Pennsylvania and Jon Tester of Montana.

The lawmakers cited a report by the Investigative Reporting Workshop which found that a majority of the program's grants went to foreign-owned companies, and that a majority of the turbines purchased with the money were built by foreign manufacturers.

"This is not the intended use of Recovery Act funds," they wrote.

A Treasury Department spokesman declined to comment Tuesday.

Dan Leistikow, a spokesman at the Energy Department, which was copied in on the letter, said the program has helped put Americans to work, and said it funds only projects built in the U.S. He added that the Recovery Act has helped attract more than $10 billion of foreign investment into this country's wind industry, including new manufacturing plants.

"It's the opposite of outsourcing, and we should encourage – not discourage – those kinds of investments," Leistikow said.

While some of the grants go to foreign-owned companies, the administration argues that more than half the components, measured by their value, are built in this country and all the energy projects are installed in this country.

________________________ ________________________ _______________

Unreal.  This whole "stimulus bill" is such a sham. 

Good job libs. 

newmom

yea I was pissed when I heard about those turbines being outsourced to other countries

Hereford

• Getbig V
Aren't the dems union base going to be a little pissed about this?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
yea I was pissed when I heard about those turbines being outsourced to other countries

They could have written everyone a check and it would have been better than this farce.  

I cant wait to see KC, Benny, Straw, and others come defend this insanity.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Aren't the dems union base going to be a little pissed about this?

No they wont, they accept almost anything so long as it is a Democrat doing it. 

Same with illegal aliens.  When the dems promise amnesty, they are silent.

This entire Admn is the worst of my lifetime by far, without even a close second. 

newmom

No they wont, they accept almost anything so long as it is a Democrat doing it. 

Same with illegal aliens.  When the dems promise amnesty, they are silent.

This entire Admn is the worst of my lifetime by far, without even a close second. 

hey Im a dem doesnt mean shit dems I always agree with..fuck Im a woman its hard to please me (no comments from the the peanut gallery)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
hey Im a dem doesnt mean shit dems I always agree with..fuck Im a woman its hard to please me (no comments from the the peanut gallery)
the problem is so many ppl invested in obama not just politically but emotionally as well that they refuse to see his mistakes...not saying your one of them but on this board those types definitely outnumber you

so theres no hope ??? :-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
the problem is so many ppl invested in obama not just politically but emotionally as well that they refuse to see his mistakes...not saying your one of them but on this board those types definitely outnumber you

so theres no hope ??? :-\

This article is the exact reason I am against 90% of the what the govt does.  They steal your money, waste it, and then tell you that you should be grateful for the pleasure of getting robbed. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupididy may sometimes be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C.S. Lewis
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupididy may sometimes be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C.S. Lewis

Great quote! 

100% true. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The lawmakers cited a report by the Investigative Reporting Workshop which found that a majority of the program's grants went to foreign-owned companies, and that a majority of the turbines purchased with the money were built by foreign manufacturers.

________________________ __________

Is there possibly any way to defend this insanity anymore? 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Two things - Do we have the companies that can provide the manufacturing goods like overseas can?  We are after all a consumer economy if we don't have the companies to do the job what are they suppose to do?

Secondly this is CAPITALISM you know, what you guys love.  It's the free market at work right there in front of you.  The best price wins.  Aren't you all in favor of the free market?  Or would you rather a more controlled market? (i know i would)

I don't agree with outsourcing at all but i'm pointing our you hate government regulation, government doesn't create jobs etc well if they don't create jobs why is this an issue?  I mean this money surely wouldn't have gone to create any jobs right? The stimulus failed at that according to most right wing sources. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Two things - Do we have the companies that can provide the manufacturing goods like overseas can?  We are after all a consumer economy if we don't have the companies to do the job what are they suppose to do?

Secondly this is CAPITALISM you know, what you guys love.  It's the free market at work right there in front of you.  The best price wins.  Aren't you all in favor of the free market?  Or would you rather a more controlled market? (i know i would)

I don't agree with outsourcing at all but i'm pointing our you hate government regulation, government doesn't create jobs etc well if they don't create jobs why is this an issue?  I mean this money surely wouldn't have gone to create any jobs right? The stimulus failed at that according to most right wing sources. 

WWWTTFFFF??   

This is borrowed money from the damn taxpayer that they stole from us! 

Captilism is about people being allowed to make choices with their money.  The govt did not give me a choice in this.  They stole the money and gave it to china and now you defend this? 

Unreal.  I take back my vote for you as mod.  ;D  ;D

kcballer

• Getbig V
Yes it is tax payer money but then it was used in a transaction which you could call pure capitalism.  Best price wins.  Imagine your outrage if it went to a union run plant and it cost them double.  You'd be fuming. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yes it is tax payer money but then it was used in a transaction which you could call pure capitalism.  Best price wins.  Imagine your outrage if it went to a union run plant and it cost them double.  You'd be fuming. 

Thats utter nonsense since there is no demand for this.  The government simply stole the money and bought crap with it. 

BTW - this is costing us double since its borrowed money and will never be paid off.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
Thats utter nonsense since there is no demand for this.  The government simply stole the money and bought crap with it. 

BTW - this is costing us double since its borrowed money and will never be paid off.   

See right there your issue is regarding the stimulus, this is just an outlet for your rage.  You wouldn't care if it created 100000 jobs or provided energy independence you are so firmly against anything democratic that it wouldn't matter. 

Like i said you'd be just as mad if they had paid more from an american supplier (if there even is one)
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
See right there your issue is regarding the stimulus, this is just an outlet for your rage.  You wouldn't care if it created 100000 jobs or provided energy independence you are so firmly against anything democratic that it wouldn't matter. 

Like i said you'd be just as mad if they had paid more from an american supplier (if there even is one)

Thats complete nonsense since the stim bill was not set up to do any of that even from day one. 

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
of course bammer is wanting to send our money over sea, this is all part of the process in starting the global government that him and his commie admin have a hard on for.

kcballer

• Getbig V
Thats complete nonsense since the stim bill was not set up to do any of that even from day one. 

Sure, sure.  You've been so blinded by your hatred for the bill that even when the CBO says it created jobs you say how false they are and that they aren't 'real jobs' anyway  ::) 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Sure, sure.  You've been so blinded by your hatred for the bill that even when the CBO says it created jobs you say how false they are and that they aren't 'real jobs' anyway  ::) 

It created part time make work that are temp jobs at best that is a complete waste of money. 

I dont know why you have such a hard time grasping the concept that a temp job doing make work for the govt on borrowed money is not the type of jobs we want or need and is a horrible way to spend money. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Senator Casey on Greta just said at least $1.7 Billion of the stim bill money for this purpose went to overseas jobs. 

Good job dems. 

YOU FREAKING SUCK!

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Senator Casey on Greta just said at least $1.7 Billion of the stim bill money for this purpose went to overseas jobs. 

Good job dems. 

YOU FREAKING SUCK!

I guess we should have asked exactly where these jobs were going to be created, assuming they would be in America, well thats just crazy.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Mere peanuts in the grand scheme.  But what do you expect? Massive waste accompanies any massive government spending.

Economically speaking, ending in the doomsday cycle was/is the most important thing Obama could accomplish-much more important than health care reform in the long run.  But he already lost his chance to do that.

It's only a matter of time before another financial meltdown hits---but next time we won't be able to borrow are way out of it because our debt will near default levels anyway.
Valhalla awaits.