Author Topic: Dem Cong. Massa to retire amid allegations he sexually harassed a male staffer.  (Read 5523 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Eric Massa to retire amid allegations he sexually harassed a male staffer
Tags:Democrats, House, New York, Eric Massa, 2010 Elections, House Ethics Committee, 2010  Listen Print Comment Email  Subscribe By JOHN BRESNAHAN & JONATHAN ALLEN & JOSH KRAUSHAAR | 3/3/10 2:31 PM EST Text Size- + reset
www.politico.com

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____

Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.) won't run for reelection after just one term in office.

According to several House aides – on both sides of the aisle – the House Ethics Committee has been informed of allegations that Massa, who is married with two children, sexually harassed a male staffer.

Massa, whose departure endangers Democrats’ hold on a competitive seat, told POLITICO Wednesday afternoon that no one has brought allegations of misconduct to him.

Asked about the sexual harassment allegations, Massa said: "When someone makes a decision to leave Congress, everybody says everything. I have health issues. I'll talk about it [later].”

Massa recently suffered from non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and he has said that his experience with cancer drove his interest in running for office so he could help reform the health care system.

A 20-year Navy veteran, Massa was elected to office in November 2008. He serves on the Agriculture, Armed Services and Homeland Security committees.

Massa is scheduled to hold a conference call at 3:30 this afternoon to announce his decision, which came as a complete surprise to several of his freshman Democratic colleagues in the New York delegation.

Massa has played a gadfly-like role in the House, calling for a single-payer health care system at a conference of liberal activists last year despite representing a Republican-leaning district. He was one of 39 House Democrats to vote against health care legislation; he said it didn’t do enough to control costs.

As a freshman representing New York’s most Republican House district, Massa was one of the most endangered Democrats in the delegation. Republicans had been aggressively targeting his seat and landed top recruit Tom Reed, the Republican mayor of Corning, to challenge him.

Massa is now the 15th House Democrat to announce retirement plans, with 11 of them leaving districts that Republicans are aggressively contesting. House Republicans face 19 retirements within GOP ranks, but most of their departing members hail from safe seats.

Massa’s departure also adds to the woes of New York Democrats, who have been on the defensive this week amid a scandal surrounding Gov. David Paterson, who announced he wasn’t running for election, and the tribulations involving embattled Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), who stepped down as chairman from the House Ways and Means Committee Wednesday.

Massa’s departure could scramble the Republican field since the filing deadline is not until July. Potential candidates include: Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks, state Assemblyman Brian Kolb and state Sen. Kathy Young.

Massa defeated former GOP Rep. John “Randy” Kuhl (R-N.Y.) in 2008, narrowly winning by a two-point margin.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/33864.html#ixzz0h96te1Oh

________________________ ________________________ _______

Culture of corruption.  Libs dropping like flies. 

SAMSON123

• Getbig V

If this guy gives a McGreevy speech I will throw up
C

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
This was one of TA's hero "progressives". 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Wow, I guess the rumors of him switching to the repubs is true after all

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

GMAFB 240 - your vaunted libs and dem progressives are dropping like flies. 

Where is Pelosi with her culture of corruption garbage now? 

Rangle/Jefferson/Massa/ et al. 

This reckoning is going to be so sweet in November 2010. 

I am so amped up to blast these marxist/progressives out of office. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
BUMP FOR TA!

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Yes your a conservative/libertarian.You prove it with every post.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yes your a conservative/libertarian.You prove it with every post.

240 is not a libertarian/conservative.  He is a lib who likes his guns. 

Where is stretch now on her "culture of corruption"? 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
BayGBM all over this thread in 3.... 2.... 1....
S

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
BayGBM all over this thread in 3.... 2.... 1....

I can wait till Straw weighs in on this. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
''240 is not a libertarian/conservative.  He is a lib who likes his guns.  ''

I dunno... i'd end unemployment and food stamps tomorrow.  I'd require drug/alcohol testing for welfare for the 5% that get to keep it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

I dunno... i'd end unemployment and food stamps tomorrow.  I'd require drug/alcohol testing for welfare for the 5% that get to keep it.

But you also shilled for the Stim Bill, HCR, etc. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
dont forget obammers  ;)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...

He did not?  ???
S

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

So what?You support a few conservative issues but take every opportunity to insult republicans/conservatives and NEVER EVER call a lib out on anything.By the way,the idea that you voted for Bob Barr who has EXACTLY the same views as Palin [except on the war]proves your lying.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
He did not?  ???

240 almost jizzed his pants when the stil came out.  Go back to February/March 2009 and look at the debates him and I had over this disaster. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bump for Blacken, Mons, KC, TA, Straw, Benny and Chad.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
"So what?You support a few conservative issues but take every opportunity to insult republicans/conservatives and NEVER EVER call a lib out on anything."

Billy, when you're training in the gym, do you attempt to improve your own lifts, or do you sit on your bench making fun of the weaker bench pressers around you? 

You focus upon yourself, right?  You try to improve your own technique, nutrition, etc so that you can be the best damn bencher you can be.  You don't go to the gym to hate on others - you go to hate on your own weaknesses and improve upon them.

Get it now? 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
I'm not going to get into the whole who is more morally corrupt, Dems or Repubs, but I find it funny that so many people want the government to decide what is morally right when these fuckers can't even control themselves.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I'm not going to get into the whole who is more morally corrupt, Dems or Repubs, but I find it funny that so many people want the government to decide what is morally right when these fuckers can't even control themselves.

They both are horrible.  However, all we have heard from the likes of Blacken, Straw, KC, Mons, Chad etc is that the GOP is the party of perverts. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bump 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Bump 

I assume you're bumping this as an example of what Cain should do

btw  -  are you billing your unfortunate client while you're on GB?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I assume you're bumping this as an example of what Cain should do

btw  -  are you billing your unfortunate client while you're on GB?

Contingency fee basis.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
"So what?You support a few conservative issues but take every opportunity to insult republicans/conservatives and NEVER EVER call a lib out on anything."

Billy, when you're training in the gym, do you attempt to improve your own lifts, or do you sit on your bench making fun of the weaker bench pressers around you?  

You focus upon yourself, right?  You try to improve your own technique, nutrition, etc so that you can be the best damn bencher you can be.  You don't go to the gym to hate on others - you go to hate on your own weaknesses and improve upon them.

Get it now?  

great point here