Author Topic: A Universe From Nothing  (Read 7441 times)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
A Universe From Nothing
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:51:42 AM »
&feature=sdig&et=1256273397.89

Period.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: A Universe From Nothing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:54:02 AM »
It's over an hour.  Can you please post a summary?
R

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:52:54 AM »
It's over an hour.  Can you please post a summary?

Cosmologist Lawrence Kraus describes how the Universe came into being from a state of nothingness. More specifically, how energy/matter can come from nothing. He also describes the eventual fate of the Universe.

The implications of this are fairly obvious. He explains his theories in layman's terms to the best of his abilities, and does so quite humourously I might add.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »

this is the problem stella, you guys want answers but are unwilling to listen and unwilling to open your minds. Here is an explanation with sound theoretics and testing, mate etc

seriously i doubt you sincerely care about anything to do with science or anything that clashes with your worldview, you will simply disregard it anyhow. I do not mean to be rude at all, dont take it that way but for example i have provided documented evidence of "macro-evolution" yet you guys (christians) keep moving the goal posts or disregard it.

Do you feel that having a closed mind is a good thing?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »

how long did it take you to read the bible?...or have you?
DAWG

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 08:38:43 AM »
this is the problem stella, you guys want answers but are unwilling to listen and unwilling to open your minds. Here is an explanation with sound theoretics and testing, mate etc

I have to admit I'm not that interested in spending over an hour watching that video but when I have more uninterrupted time I will attempt to do so. 

i have provided documented evidence of "macro-evolution" yet you guys (christians) keep moving the goal posts or disregard it.

I don't think I've seen this...can you link me?

I don't feel that my mind is any more closed than anyone else's here.  I can see how you feel that Christians have somewhat closed minds but can you see how we feel that you come across as having a somewhat closed mind also?  I think we both want to believe what is true.

how long did it take you to read the bible?...or have you?

Yes, I've read it and continue to do so.  It takes a long time...some people take a year to read the whole thing..I've never "timed" myself though.

Have you read it?
R

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26:48 AM »

I don't feel that my mind is any more closed than anyone else's here.  I can see how you feel that Christians have somewhat closed minds but can you see how we feel that you come across as having a somewhat closed mind also?  I think we both want to believe what is true.

oh really?

do you admit that there is a possibility that god does not exist?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
oh really?

do you admit that there is a possibility that god does not exist?

Actually, I don't think I could ever reject that God is real.  I don't have enough faith to accept that life as we know it on this planet (or even the placement of this planet, matter, etc.) happened by several accidents or out of chaos.

How do you feel about your question?  Do you believe there is a possibility that God does exist?
R

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »
Do you believe there is a possibility that God does exist?

There is a possibility that a prime mover exists, so it can't be ruled out, yet. This video does suggest that something can come from nothing, which would make first cause unnecessary.

If you're talking god, as defined by any major religion, then the possibility of that god existing is close to zero.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »

seriously i doubt you sincerely care about anything to do with science or anything that clashes with your worldview, you will simply disregard it anyhow. I do not mean to be rude at all, dont take it that way but for example i have provided documented evidence of "macro-evolution" yet you guys (christians) keep moving the goal posts or disregard it.

First of all brutal hypocrisy in this post LMAO  ::)

second of all not all christians disregard evolution and evolution doesnt disprove God  ::)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »

second of all not all christians disregard evolution and evolution doesnt disprove God  ::)

No, evolution doesn't disprove god in the least. Nor does it attempt to.

It does, however, cast doubt as to the validity of many religious beliefs.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »
No, evolution doesn't disprove god in the least. Nor does it attempt to.

It does, however, cast doubt as to the validity of many religious beliefs.
not at all, depends on how you look at it...

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
not at all, depends on how you look at it...

That statement alone says volumes about religious beliefs.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »

That statement alone says volumes about religious beliefs.
and this volumes about being "open minded" LMAO  ;)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 11:08:27 AM »
There is a possibility that a prime mover exists, so it can't be ruled out, yet. This video does suggest that something can come from nothing, which would make first cause unnecessary.

Thanks YR.  I've watched the first 1/2 hour of the video.  Intend to finish it later and I do have some questions but maybe the last 1/2 will answer them.

If you're talking god, as defined by any major religion, then the possibility of that god existing is close to zero.

Why is that?
R

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 11:29:39 AM »
and this volumes about being "open minded" LMAO  ;)

Nothing of the sort. My statement was in reference to the reinterpretation of religious texts in an attempt to fit into definitions of reality being defined through scientific observation.

Being open minded means taking into account all information, deciding what is valid and what is not, and discarding that which is deemed invalid via logic and reason. Religion takes invalid information and then reinterprets it in an attempt to make it appear valid.

Gotta fly for now. Ciao.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 01:04:52 PM »
Sorry Stella, I just saw your post now. I'm having company over and can't post much before we go out for the evening.

Thanks YR.  I've watched the first 1/2 hour of the video.  Intend to finish it later and I do have some questions but maybe the last 1/2 will answer them.

Lawrence Krauss does answer peoples' email, to my knowledge, if you wish to address any concerns or questions to him.

Why is that?

I don't have time to go into detail right now. But, besides the lack of conclusive evidence, other than bible assertions*, there is also the specificity of god's interest and preference in/of humanity above all other forms of life in a, for all intents and purposes, limitless universe; and the imposing of human-like qualities on a supreme deity.

I'd go into further detail but it will have to wait until I have more time as this could branch off into many different areas of debate.

*I'm speaking strictly of the bible assertion to the existence of the biblical version of god and not addressing any other claims regarding other items- to avoid any tangent argument

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
something from nothing...a Toxic/Hawkings explaination..in a few simple steps
1)The reason we know black holes exist is because we detect energy eminating from them (hawkings radiation...named after stephen hawkings who predicted it).
2) Now black holes have gravity so immense that NOTHING should be eminating from them right..cause a black hole should suck everything (including light) inwards. So how the heck does it emit radiation?
3) ok now how this works is energy. the total amount of energy in the universe has to remain constant..(actually the correct term is entropy not energy and entropy is the measure of disorder in a given system but we'll stick to energy for simplicity)
 NOW since the total amount of energy in the universe HAS to remain constant and when a black hole sucks some energy into itself it effectively is taking energy OUT of the universe and we have a big problem! Remeber kids : energy can neither be created or destroyed.   <moving to next post cause of screen bounce>
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
 <this is where you create something out of nothing so pay attention>
5> enter hawkings radiation. When a particle (energy:electron) falls into a black hole and is effectively lost for ever (ie : energy destroyed) a new opposite particle(anti electron: positron) pops out of nowhere and heads out in the opposite direction

This is called hawkings radiation and scientists have detected it and is how they identify where black holes are.

in the STRICTEST of sence though we didn't actually create something from nothing...we merely replaced energy that ws lost..but in the same strict sence a virtual particle (a  mathematical anamoly) turns into a "real particle" at the exact moment a particle is sucked into a black hole

the end   <for further reading google "hawkings radiation" >
carpe` vaginum!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 09:05:19 PM »
Actually, I don't think I could ever reject that God is real.  I don't have enough faith to accept that life as we know it on this planet (or even the placement of this planet, matter, etc.) happened by several accidents or out of chaos.

How do you feel about your question?  Do you believe there is a possibility that God does exist?

so you are closed minded then, you cannot accept evidence against god.

Yes i allow the possibility that god exists, i wish he did, i see no evidence for him. I will change my mind according to the evidence.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »

please show me the hypocrisy ::)

I was giving an example of how most christians avoid evidence for natural explanations. Evolution rules out the possibility that god made each animal wholely at one time does it not? Evolution leaves god without a job in the creation of different species.

What the hell is the point of a prime mover, if it doesnt do anything, why define it as god.

again show the hypocrisy. I made a generalized comment that i believe is realiable, most christians reject evolution, and in turn reality.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 09:45:30 PM »
please show me the hypocrisy ::)

I was giving an example of how most christians avoid evidence for natural explanations. Evolution rules out the possibility that god made each animal wholely at one time does it not? Evolution leaves god without a job in the creation of different species.

What the hell is the point of a prime mover, if it doesnt do anything, why define it as god.

again show the hypocrisy. I made a generalized comment that i believe is realiable, most christians reject evolution, and in turn reality.
LOL again not at all, how do we know that God didnt create life with that path for it in mind?

the hypocrisey comes in you chastising others for being closed minded while being closed minded  ;) LMAO

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 08:05:22 AM »
yanno...i'm pretty horrible at typing...and i typed all that...something from nothing...

did ANYONE read it? >:(
carpe` vaginum!

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »
yanno...i'm pretty horrible at typing...and i typed all that...something from nothing...

did ANYONE read it? >:(

Yes, I read your post.  :)

It does sound somewhat familiar. I've heard explanations for energy being emitted from black holes before. I've read some of Hawking's work and I'm fascinated with black holes myself. Kraus' hypothesis differs from this, of course, but I find it all quite interesting.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »
Yes, I read your post.  :)

It does sound somewhat familiar. I've heard explanations for energy being emitted from black holes before. I've read some of Hawking's work and I'm fascinated with black holes myself. Kraus' hypothesis differs from this, of course, but I find it all quite interesting.

i ws trying to point out that it IS possible to create something from nothing...

on a side note...this is why sometimes my posts dont make sence...i try to say as much as possible in as few words as possible..cause i'm a slow typer...
carpe` vaginum!