Author Topic: Stimulus Funds Pay for Monkey Research  (Read 1355 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Stimulus Funds Pay for Monkey Research
« on: March 09, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »
Your tax dollars hard at work.

Stimulus Funds Pay for Monkey Research
Tuesday, 09 Mar 2010   

Civitas Institute has selected a cocaine addiction study featuring monkey experimental subjects at Wake Forest University Medical School as No. 1 on a list of the "10 worst federal stimulus projects in North Carolina."

Civitas' Brian Balfour notes in his analysis that they "seem completely unrelated to avoiding an economic 'catastrophe,' but rather an ad hoc satisfaction of countless dubious wish lists."

However, Mark Wright, a spokesman for the Wake Forest University School of Medicine says the $71, 623 stimulus grant is paying for a job, according to a mcclatchydc.com report.

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/Stimulus-Funds-Monkey-Research/2010/03/09/id/352056

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Stimulus Funds Pay for Monkey Research
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
the non-existent author of this article did include a quote from McClatchy saying it was paying for a job and I suppose we can presume that is one less unemployed person.

Also, the dollar amount of $71,623 is pretty damn insignificant in relation to the size of the bill

I think the title of the article could have also been "Stimulus Funds Used to Create a Job"

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
I think if you really looked at where money in the government goes in general you'd see billions wasted.

I'm not sure how significant 73 grand is in the whole scheme of things, but it is wasted.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »
I think if you really looked at where money in the government goes in general you'd see billions wasted.

I'm not sure how significant 73 grand is in the whole scheme of things, but it is wasted.

why is it "wasted"?

by what measure?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »
Could have been something that saves lives. :)

Sure it could have easily been another study about goldfish and tequila or how much methane cow gas contributes to global warming but we really don't know.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
why is it "wasted"?

by what measure?

Do you think everything the government does is prudent?  I would think there quite a bit waste with every politicians pet pork projects.

How much are we over paying for things?

How much are we paying for things (because of some pet pork project) we really don't need?

How much is the "system" getting taken advantage of that cost us money?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 06:32:24 PM »
If you want to see truly wasted tax dollars let's look at the hundreds of millions we've completely pissed away of faith based crap such as abstinence only education

How about farm subsidies.  How many millions if not billions have we paid farmers in the last 50 years to not grow crops

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
If you want to see truly wasted tax dollars let's look at the hundreds of millions we've completely pissed away of faith based crap such as abstinence only education

How about farm subsidies.  How many millions if not billions have we paid farmers in the last 50 years to not grow crops

Things like that is what I'm talking about.  That's why this 73 grand seems moot considering everything else.  What about the wars?  I'll bet you there is some serious over charging and waste there.  

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:43:10 PM »
If history has shown anything, its that scientific research ALWAYS pays off in the end...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »
Things like that is what I'm talking about.  That's why this 73 grand seems moot considering everything else.  What about the wars?  I'll bet you there is some serious over charging and waste there.  

yeah  - I was going to mention the wars, the actual legitimate costs plus all the overcharging, graft, corruption, etc...

Here's a quote from someone at Wake Forrest defending the monkey research job (and other jobs that have been saved with Stim $'s):

"It's actually the continuation of a job that might not still be there if it hadn't been for the stimulus funding. And it's a good job," Wright said. "It's also very worthwhile research."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
Please, its more waste fraud and abuse. 

Why dont they use stim money to hire me a high end hooker and study the effects of the blow job she gives me?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
Please, its more waste fraud and abuse. 

Why dont they use stim money to hire me a high end hooker and study the effects of the blow job she gives me?

how do you figure it's fraud?

newmom

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:02:42 PM »

Excellent, GOVT wants society to be fat and unhealthy, keeps insurance companies, doctors, hospitals, etc in business. Now they passing that shit on to our kids, look at the fucking garbage they supply in school, and everyone is like why are kids fat these days..HELLO STUPID look at the menu and most schools have done away with Phys Ed classes

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:05:27 PM »
Excellent, GOVT wants society to be fat and unhealthy, keeps insurance companies, doctors, hospitals, etc in business. Now they passing that shit on to our kids, look at the fucking garbage they supply in school, and everyone is like why are kids fat these days..HELLO STUPID look at the menu and most schools have done away with Phys Ed classes

Why dont they teach these fatties to grow food and let them eat what they grow?

newmom

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
Why dont they teach these fatties to grow food and let them eat what they grow?

because that would make sense

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »

Why have they done away with PE classes?  No funding?  or No mandate?

newmom

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
Why have they done away with PE classes?  No funding?  or No mandate?

Usually funding from what I have seen and heard, but that to me that is SMOKE SCREEN..

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 07:16:11 PM »
Usually funding from what I have seen and heard, but that to me that is SMOKE SCREEN..

A smoke screen?   What do you mean?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 07:18:07 PM »
A smoke screen?   What do you mean?

Ozmo do the math - 119 million taxpayers by 868 billion dollars.  What does that come out to for each taxpayer?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 07:22:56 PM »
Ozmo do the math - 119 million taxpayers by 868 billion dollars.  What does that come out to for each taxpayer?

Read my above posts, I agree.  I'm just trying to make sure I understand what she's saying.

newmom

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
well lets see, if people ate better, did more physical activity, then insurance companies and doctors and the like would have less patients..along that line.

I remember a few years back heard a news story about a state, W. VA I believe, that had overweight people getting food stamps or welfare (dont remember what their definition of overweight was) join weight watchers (state covered the expense) and they had a significant drop in doctors visits and such (they were on state medicaid as well). To me that isnt a bad idea

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 07:27:37 PM »
well lets see, if people ate better, did more physical activity, then insurance companies and doctors and the like would have less patients..along that line.

I remember a few years back heard a news story about a state, W. VA I believe, that had overweight people getting food stamps or welfare (dont remember what their definition of overweight was) join weight watchers (state covered the expense) and they had a significant drop in doctors visits and such (they were on state medicaid as well). To me that isnt a bad idea

Are you arguing CT?

newmom

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 07:30:20 PM »
yea pretty much..but have heard on CNN or whatever journalists do stories on such and such this and that about PE classes

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »
the 73 grand is probably actually a $45k position, when you factor in the guy's healthcare, workmans comp insurance

and it's not like the money was used for Obama's toilet paper.  It's an American at work.  And he's paying $12 grand of that to taxes.  And he's spending the other 32,000, which means he's boosting the economy.  Maybe he's making a car payment on a Ford.

I guar-an-fuck-ing-tee you... if obama had specifically SLASHED this job, this monkey handler would be on fox news, and they'd be throwing him a pity party, blaming obama, showing his house get foreclosed, etc.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 08:04:42 PM »
the 73 grand is probably actually a $45k position, when you factor in the guy's healthcare, workmans comp insurance

and it's not like the money was used for Obama's toilet paper.  It's an American at work.  And he's paying $12 grand of that to taxes.  And he's spending the other 32,000, which means he's boosting the economy.  Maybe he's making a car payment on a Ford.

I guar-an-fuck-ing-tee you... if obama had specifically SLASHED this job, this monkey handler would be on fox news, and they'd be throwing him a pity party, blaming obama, showing his house get foreclosed, etc.
hehehe  yeah