Author Topic: Still think the stimulus is working? Tell that to the folks in KC!!  (Read 872 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
While Obama was blubbering about how his healthcare bill is the be-all-to-end-all to folks in St. Louis, the folks in neighboring Kansas City just demonstrated how great his stimulus bill is working by voting to pull the plug on nearly HALF OF THEIR PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!

And, guess who gets shafted the most in all of this (Hint: dollars-to-donuts, 95% of their parents voted for Obama).

HOPE AND CHANGE, MY @$$!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/11/missouri.school.closings/index.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Still think the stimulus is working? Tell that to the folks in KC!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:49:43 AM »
The Stim Bill was just another example of delaying the inevitable. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
I don't exactly get the lady who says she's uncomfortable with her 8 and 6-year-olds going to a school with 12th graders.

On the one hand, I can see her point with a regular-sized public school.

On the other hand, kids go to private schools that run K-12 on a regular basis. My kids go to such a school. Granted, those schools are somewhat smaller.

I wonder if Missouri has a voucher program and, if it does, how many black parents are going to opt to use it.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:21:27 PM »
So without a stimulus this would have happened also.  what is your point?  That you are against closing this school but also against funding for it to keep it open?
Abandon every hope...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »
So without a stimulus this would have happened also.  what is your point?  That you are against closing this school but also against funding for it to keep it open?

Yep!!!

The stimulus wasn't necessary to keep it open. Another classic case of teachers' unions and other bureacracy burning money.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/02/14/general-us-schools-busted-budgets_7356137.html
The Obama administration's $787 billion federal stimulus package provided roughly $100 billion for education, including $54 billion to stabilize state budgets. In October the White House said the stimulus created or saved 250,000 education jobs.

But many states have used most of their stimulus money, leaving little to cushion budget cuts in the coming fiscal year.

You can't count on 1 time money to help with a structural deficit.

It only prolongs the inevitable.
Now all of those states are paying for it.
What a disaster.

Don't worry though the drop the apparent drop in the unemployment rate is being caused by people going on welfare.
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/data-reports/caseload/2009/2009_recipient_tanssp.htm

Its nice to see that the US news media isn't report this.

I don't image things will get better for at least another year.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:26:06 PM »
I know a guy making $73k a year as a primate fluid expert (we'll just call him a spunk monkey).

He has that stimulus plan - and Obama - to thank for that. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 05:40:41 AM »
I know a guy making $73k a year as a primate fluid expert (we'll just call him a spunk monkey).

He has that stimulus plan - and Obama - to thank for that. 

You have only a few months left 240 for the UE to go under 8% before you have to admit it was a failure. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 05:46:46 AM »
Yep, just a few months to go!

I went to www.online-stopwatch.com and set up a Failure Countdown.  It was the patriotic thing to do!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 05:49:19 AM »
Yep, just a few months to go!

I went to www.online-stopwatch.com and set up a Failure Countdown.  It was the patriotic thing to do!

I said so from day 1. 

check out my Drinking w Bob post on the birther issue. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 05:53:55 AM »
Yep!!!

The stimulus wasn't necessary to keep it open. Another classic case of teachers' unions and other bureacracy burning money.

do you even know any teachers?

I know quite a few and most of them pay for supplies out of there own pocket, work evenings and weekends doing lesson planning/grading papers etc.. and really don't get paid that well.

most likely without the stim bill even more schools would be closed and even more teachers would be out of work

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 05:55:28 AM »

I know quite a few and most of them pay for supplies out of there own pocket, work evenings and weekends doing lesson planning/grading papers etc.. and really don't get paid that well.

most likely without the stim bill even more schools would be closed and even more teachers would be out of work

Cry me a river.  The taxpayers cant afford it anymore, let them restructure like the rest of us. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 06:05:29 AM »
Cry me a river.  The taxpayers cant afford it anymore, let them restructure like the rest of us. 

restructure - you mean like closing schools and laying off teachers

isn't that what this thread is about

is that a good or bad thing and should we blame Obama or give him credit?

I assume we should blame him.   

I mean isn't he responsible for everything bad in the country, up to and including your chronic halitosis?

If only he'd be more like Republicans and just done absolutely nothing.

I'm sure things would be even better and by better of course I mean even more closed schools and layed off teachers

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 06:08:29 AM »
restructure - you mean like closing schools and laying off teachers

isn't that what this thread is about

is that a good or bad thing and should we blame Obama or give him credit?

I assume we should blame him.   

I mean isn't he responsible for everything bad in the country, up to and including your chronic halitosis?

If only he'd be more like Republicans and just done absolutely nothing.

I'm sure things would be even better and by better of course I mean even more closed schools and layed off teachers

Yes he gets blame for the stim bill's utter failure.  I said it would be a failure from day 1 and you defended the money going to studies about condoms.  Remember that Straw? 

The money went to prop up bloated state budgets that need to contract and are bloated.  Fire the administrators, 100k a year janitors, get rid of the AFT, NEA, etc and free up money.  If the teachers and schools care so much about the teachers they will find a way.   

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 06:13:17 AM »

I know several, one of whom (along with her daughter) spent the weekend over my house with my family LAST WEEK!!

Then, there's the one that my wife and I have know FOR OVER TEN YEARS.

Add another, who's a good friend of my wife, who now homeschools her kids.

Some of the teachers I know are private school ones, who get paid EVEN LESS than their public school counterparts.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 06:21:34 AM »
Yes he gets blame for the stim bill's utter failure.  I said it would be a failure from day 1 and you defended the money going to studies about condoms.  Remember that Straw? 

The money went to prop up bloated state budgets that need to contract and are bloated.  Fire the administrators, 100k a year janitors, get rid of the AFT, NEA, etc and free up money.  If the teachers and schools care so much about the teachers they will find a way.   

I don't remember the condoms part but if I supported it then I probably thought it had merit

I have no problem with Stim Bill. 

I'm fine with spending some $$$$ here in the US on our own people rather than giving it to defense contractor and giving tax cuts to the uber rich

It is a hoot though watching all the Repubs who voted against it go back to their states and take credit for it and the jobs is saved or created

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 08:04:06 AM »
Yeah because companies like Boeing, General Dynamics, GE, GM, Ford, International, United Technologies...don't employ thousands of people and propel both science and economic growth.  ::)
L