Author Topic: A little help please...  (Read 2121 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
A little help please...
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:20:36 AM »
ok so tonight whilst playing poker a friend who had one to many started poking fun at 2 of us who were playing against him for spliting the pot 180 bucks...me and the other guy ended up spliting the pot after he ended up quiting as it was getting late again he had one to many. He ridiculed us for being cheap etc...saying "if 90 bucks meant that much then take it". I was honestly to the point of fighting but was as polite as I could be and left before i said or did anything I might regret. My question is how should I approach this person in the future as it is inevitable that I will run into him again. I know he was pretty intoxicated but at the same time that doesnt excuse his actions. I really want to be the bigger person but I dont think I could bite my tongue or hold myself back if this happend again...

Pls help any scripture or advise would be greatly appreciated...I know I know gambling and drinking etc...pls focus on the question at hand...

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: A little help please...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »
he's just a sore loser...

next time, go ahead and kick him in the puss...

of invite friends to play at your place and leave him out
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »
ok so tonight whilst playing poker a friend who had one to many started poking fun at 2 of us who were playing against him for spliting the pot 180 bucks...me and the other guy ended up spliting the pot after he ended up quiting as it was getting late again he had one to many. He ridiculed us for being cheap etc...saying "if 90 bucks meant that much then take it". I was honestly to the point of fighting but was as polite as I could be and left before i said or did anything I might regret. My question is how should I approach this person in the future as it is inevitable that I will run into him again. I know he was pretty intoxicated but at the same time that doesnt excuse his actions. I really want to be the bigger person but I dont think I could bite my tongue or hold myself back if this happend again...

Pls help any scripture or advise would be greatly appreciated...I know I know gambling and drinking etc...pls focus on the question at hand...

Not sure I understand your question.  Are you asking how to deal with the subject of the last gambling night or just how to deal with him in general? 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:35:45 AM »

Certain people you just have to avoid at all costs.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »
If the guy usually isn't like that maybe you should give him some grace.  Sounds like he was in a bad mood that night and drank too much?

R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:50:05 PM »
Not sure I understand your question.  Are you asking how to deal with the subject of the last gambling night or just how to deal with him in general? 
how to deal with him in general...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »
If the guy usually isn't like that maybe you should give him some grace.  Sounds like he was in a bad mood that night and drank too much?
No I wish that were the case...this guy is a general all around ace, he can be an ok guy but not someone I choose to hang out with on a regular basis if I can avoid it. Problem is my good friend is friends with this guy and we hang out together from time to time and its unavoidable that I will see him again and again in the future. The episode the other night definitly had to do with the amount of alcohol he drank that night though.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »
Certain people you just have to avoid at all costs.
I agree I think I will make it a point to limit the amount of contact I have with this person in the future...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 05:17:49 AM »
I agree I think I will make it a point to limit the amount of contact I have with this person in the future...

You had asked for some scripture too, so here it is:     :)

1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

1 Corinthians 5:11
But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 05:20:52 AM »
you should pray for him...

you should not be drinking & gambling yourself either it is a slippery slope to hell...
DAWG

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 06:20:12 AM »
No I wish that were the case...this guy is a general all around ace, he can be an ok guy but not someone I choose to hang out with on a regular basis if I can avoid it. Problem is my good friend is friends with this guy and we hang out together from time to time and its unavoidable that I will see him again and again in the future. The episode the other night definitly had to do with the amount of alcohol he drank that night though.

He may be embarrassed and hoping to see you so he can apologize.   But the next time you are invited to play cards w/him you have an out.  You could say something like, "After last time, I'm going to have to pass."  You can be nice about it and say it w/a smile, and forgive him for sure.  But you don't have to feel pressured to play w/him again; just keep saying "no thanks."
R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
how to deal with him in general...

Here are several verses from Proverbs that I rely on to deal with people like him:

He who reproves a scoffer gets shame for himself,
And he who rebukes a wicked man gets himself a blemish.
Do not reprove a scoffer, lest he hate you;
Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. 

Proverbs 9:7-9

I think part of what this is saying is don't try and reason with unreasonable people.  Sort of goes hand-in-hand with the following:

Go from the presence of a foolish man,
When you do not perceive in him the lips of knowledge.
Proverbs 14:7

And this one:

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him.
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes.
Proverbs 26:4-5

One of the more important ones is:

A soft answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 15:1

Easier said than done, but it absolutely works. 

There is strong language about the importance of self-control (again easier said than done):

He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.
Proverbs 16:32

If you really want to punish him, be nice to him:

If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat;
And if he thirsty, give him water to drink;
For so you will heap coals of fire on his head,
And the Lord will reward you.
Proverbs 25:21-22

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 08:09:42 PM »
You had asked for some scripture too, so here it is:     :)

1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."
Its funny but I was thinking to myself that hanging around him turns me into somebody that I dont like and that I should try to avoid that.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 08:15:23 PM »
He may be embarrassed and hoping to see you so he can apologize.   But the next time you are invited to play cards w/him you have an out.  You could say something like, "After last time, I'm going to have to pass."  You can be nice about it and say it w/a smile, and forgive him for sure.  But you don't have to feel pressured to play w/him again; just keep saying "no thanks."
Im not going to hold my breath for an apology from him in all honesty of everybody I know he is the only person I can say that I feel is not a good person at heart. I wont spread his personal issues over the web but he has just done things that I cant understand I guess. I think he is trying to change but iono I will definitly limit my contact with this person for a while though.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 08:21:11 PM »
Here are several verses from Proverbs that I rely on to deal with people like him:

He who reproves a scoffer gets shame for himself,
And he who rebukes a wicked man gets himself a blemish.
Do not reprove a scoffer, lest he hate you;
Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. 

Proverbs 9:7-9

I think part of what this is saying is don't try and reason with unreasonable people.  Sort of goes hand-in-hand with the following:

Go from the presence of a foolish man,
When you do not perceive in him the lips of knowledge.
Proverbs 14:7

And this one:

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him.
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes.
Proverbs 26:4-5

One of the more important ones is:

A soft answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 15:1

Easier said than done, but it absolutely works. 

There is strong language about the importance of self-control (again easier said than done):

He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.
Proverbs 16:32

If you really want to punish him, be nice to him:

If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat;
And if he thirsty, give him water to drink;
For so you will heap coals of fire on his head,
And the Lord will reward you.
Proverbs 25:21-22

Thanks beach I feel I do respond to him in similar ways sarcasm/anger etc which is what I dont like as I try not to be a person who does that. I think that I will take some time and evaluate myself then try to be nice instead of responding in kind to his actions.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
Thank you for your responses guys and girl I think yall have helped bring my back center and see what road I should take with this guy.