Author Topic: Post Workout Nutrition is Extremely Important for Muscle Growth  (Read 6363 times)

HugeRipped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Immediately after completing your resistance training workout you need to consume a mixture of protein and carbohydrates to 1) begin to repair the microtears to the muscle fascia induced by weight training and 2) replenish depleted stores of glycogen. For the natural bodybuilder I suggest no more than 30 grams of carbohydrates and 10 grams of protein. In the body's depleted and exhausted post workout state, any more macronutrients than that will simply be stored as fat since it cannot expend the calories to utilize the nutrients. Furthermore, any fat consumed post workout will be stored as bodyfat since all macronutrients will be used to replenish glycogen or repair microtears and fats can do neither.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Post Workout Nutrition is Extremely Important for Muscle Growth
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:06:47 AM »
Immediately after completing your resistance training workout you need to consume a mixture of protein and carbohydrates to 1) begin to repair the microtears to the muscle fascia induced by weight training and 2) replenish depleted stores of glycogen. For the natural bodybuilder I suggest no more than 30 grams of carbohydrates and 10 grams of protein. In the body's depleted and exhausted post workout state, any more macronutrients than that will simply be stored as fat since it cannot expend the calories to utilize the nutrients. Furthermore, any fat consumed post workout will be stored as bodyfat since all macronutrients will be used to replenish glycogen or repair microtears and fats can do neither.

One, that's WAY TOO LITTLE protein (or carbs for that matter), natural or not-so-natural.

Two, the "immediately" thing is a bit overexaggerated. As long as you down a protein-carb combo/postworkout shake within an hour of finishing training, you're in business.

Usually, I get mine within 30 minutes of completing my workout. I've been doing that since the mid-90s.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:42:55 AM »
LMAO...sounds like someone has been reading their Flex magazine...christ there are suckers born every minute...so you are telling me that your gut can IMMEDIATELY breakdown and absorb the nutrients and then your body can utilize them all within this golden time window?  LMAO...oh boy, that's a good one.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:44:51 AM »
shiit...just realized i got suckered by a gimmick...well played bluto,,,well played

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »
LMAO...sounds like someone has been reading their Flex magazine...christ there are suckers born every minute...so you are telling me that your gut can IMMEDIATELY breakdown and absorb the nutrients and then your body can utilize them all within this golden time window?  LMAO...oh boy, that's a good one.

How is someone a "sucker", if such a routine is EFFECTIVE?

And, for the record, I read that from IronMan, many years ago, not FLEX.

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »
Awesome post! I didnt know any of the stuff you posted and I have been working out 13yrs. I usually have half a chocolate cake postworkout, wait 30min then I eat 5 peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches. Is that enough protein?

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:34:21 AM »
Awesome post! I didnt know any of the stuff you posted and I have been working out 13yrs. I usually have half a chocolate cake postworkout, wait 30min then I eat 5 peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches. Is that enough protein?

Geezus dude...you wanna fuck your kidneys up??  Thats PLENTY of protein

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:45:55 AM »

How is someone a "sucker", if such a routine is EFFECTIVE?

And, for the record, I read that from IronMan, many years ago, not FLEX.

soooo...during this magic time window, the laws of human biology are suspended?  are you retarded "mcway"?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »
soooo...during this magic time window, the laws of human biology are suspended?  are you retarded "mcway"?

I can ask you the same question. The simple fact is I've been doing this since the mid-90s. And it has worked.

Whether that meshes with your psyche or your alleged knowledge of the "laws of human biology" makes no difference to me, one way or the other.

You'll excuse me if I'm not tempted to stop doing something that has worked for me for nearly 15 years, simply because a big-mouthed blowhard like you has issues with it.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 09:03:47 AM »
I can ask you the same question. The simple fact is I've been doing this since the mid-90s. And it has worked.

Whether that meshes with your psyche or your alleged knowledge of the "laws of human biology" makes no difference to me, one way or the other.

You'll excuse me if I'm not tempted to stop doing something that has worked for me for nearly 15 years, simply because a big-mouthed blowhard like you has issues with it.

Dear retard...How do you know it works?  What if you didn't do it?  Would you look the same?  You don't know.  The only thing you do know is that you did it and you look a certain way.  You might look like complete doggshit...

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:20:18 AM »
Dear retard...How do you know it works?  What if you didn't do it?  Would you look the same?  You don't know.  The only thing you do know is that you did it and you look a certain way.  You might look like complete doggshit...

So, if he would look like dog shit....would that mean the window is not bullshit?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »
protein ingestion post workout makes sense on the surface... but even whey protein, the fastest of all proteins to digest...still takes about an hour before any of it reaches the blood, and even then its not an "all at once" dumping of the aminos...but a slow gradually increasing process that spans several hours.

if protein intake is suffficient on a daily basis, then theres no need to "time" protein intake around workouts.

carbohydrate ingestion before, during, and after workouts does make sense... glucose can reach the blood within minutes and start taking action, mainly increased insulin and vasodialation

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »
Dear retard...How do you know it works?  What if you didn't do it?  Would you look the same?  You don't know.  The only thing you do know is that you did it and you look a certain way.  You might look like complete doggshit...

Dear Crackpot,

I know it works, because I've been doing it for several years now. That would imply that, at one point, I didn't do such.

I've noted the difference: Faster recovery and better gains in size and strength overall.

Others have done such with similar results. But, I'll be sure to let them know that such was ineffective, because of your BRRRIIIIIIIILANT insight.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »

here's a tip. Don't try and put this stuff across as gospel stuff son. Post workout nutrition as tbomz has stated is far simpler than you have made out here. Here's a point for you, fats do far more for the grand scheme of growth and I have had the most results following the science backed theory of GH release after intense muscular contractions by leaving an hour before I eat. High blood sugar nullifies the effect of GH and can blunt it's release entirely! So do as tbomz says, people should eat a diet with adaquate protein and stop overcomplicating meal timing.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »
This is way too complicated for someone that actual leads a normal life (school, work, family, friends, etc).
X

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:26 AM »

here's a tip. Don't try and put this stuff across as gospel stuff son. Post workout nutrition as tbomz has stated is far simpler than you have made out here. Here's a point for you, fats do far more for the grand scheme of growth and I have had the most results following the science backed theory of GH release after intense muscular contractions by leaving an hour before I eat. High blood sugar nullifies the effect of GH and can blunt it's release entirely! So do as tbomz says, people should eat a diet with adaquate protein and stop overcomplicating meal timing.
  i think insulin is superior to GH.  :-X  lol.  ;D

but yes, i do think that people overcomplicate the issue.

the best possible workout nutrition is simply carbohydrates throughout the entire physical bout..  and of course adequate protein throughout the day

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
This is way too complicated for someone that actual leads a normal life (school, work, family, friends, etc).

Hardly!!!

How do you think amateur bodybuilders (who have jobs, wives, and kids) get it done?

If you work an 8-to-5 job, your diet can easily be tailored around it.

7 am – Breakfast

10 am – Shake #1 (Weight gainer, MRP, or straight-protein powder)

12 am – Lunch

3 pm – Shake #2

5 pm – Workout

Postworkout – Shake #3

8 pm – Dinner

10/11 pm - Shake/Nighttime Meal

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »

the best possible workout nutrition is simply carbohydrates throughout the entire physical bout..  and of course adequate protein throughout the day

Yes tbomz, without insulin, GH is useless so yes! You can't have the benefit of one without the other! I do think however that GH release will cause a better ratio in lean to fat ratio, whereas the stimulus for a lot of insulin requires high blood sugar, which as you know very well is the true problem. Insulin gets the blame for a lot of issues, but it's actually the high blood sugar itself that does the damage, blunting this GH. I think in general a low GI diet, plenty of carbs, plenty of fats will do more for growth than throwing more aminos into the mix. You may or may not have read several studies that conclude that high protein can lower test levels in naturals. It's a double-edged sword as GH is increased with increased protein intake, so all in all it seems a diet with balance is far superior to high levels of protein, low carbs etc, low fat etc.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:35:40 AM »

That’s the point I was making before a certain Rhodes scholar started running his mouth.

I said that the “immediately” thing was a bit over-exaggerated. Within an hour after training usually does the trick. Hit the pool/Jacuzzi; have a shower; change; down a shake; go home (run some errands on the way); eat.

Not all that complicated!!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 11:49:01 AM »
Hardly!!!

How do you think amateur bodybuilders (who have jobs, wives, and kids) get it done?

7 am – Breakfast

10 am – Shake 31 (Weight gainer, MRP, or straight-protein powder)

12 am – Lunch

3 pm – Shake #2

5 pm – Workout

Post-workout – Shake #3

8 pm – Dinner

Great, this is assuming everyone has the same exact 9-5 job job, with the same exact breaks, etc. My days tend to be ALL over the place. I can be in a specific location one moment, then be driving an hour to another location. Your diet is ideal if you have a typical 9-5 desk job where you sit in the same spot all day.
X

io856

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »
Great, this is assuming everyone has the same exact 9-5 job job, with the same exact breaks, etc. My days tend to be ALL over the place. I can be in a specific location one moment, then be driving an hour to another location. Your diet is ideal if you have a typical 9-5 desk job where you sit in the same spot all day.

You don't have a champion's mentality

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »

That simply means that, either you prepare a lot of your meals in advance OR you carry a  whole lot of MRPs/ portable jug of protein powder and a shaker (i.e. Ronnie Coleman, wolfing down chicken and potatoes in his squad car, as an active duty cop).

I tend to do the meals thing on the weekend, prepping enough meat and veggies to make at least three days’ worth of lunches. I also keep a bag of frozen chicken ready, so I can cook it quickly in the oven for dinner once I’m home.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »

You don't have a champion's mentality

That's because I don't want to be a champion bodybuilder  ::) It's not very important to me whether or not I miss a meal. I take my champion mentality to another area of study. Just because I lack a champions mentality when it comes to bodybuilding, it doesn't mean I lack a champions mentality in every sense of the word, dingbat.  ::) ::)
X

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »
Hardly!!!

7 am – Breakfast

10 am – Shake 31 (Weight gainer, MRP, or straight-protein powder)

12 am – Lunch

3 pm – Shake #2

5 pm – Workout

Post-workout – Shake #3

8 pm – Dinner

awful nutrition plan...too many shakes

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »

i disagree - protein around the workout is more important that carbs - studies show this conclusively.
175lbs by 31st July