Author Topic: President Obama's Own Back Yard Could go Red  (Read 2247 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
President Obama's Own Back Yard Could go Red
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:30:36 AM »
Djou Hopes for Hawaiian Surprise
By Philip Klein
spectator.org

Scott Brown's upset win in Massachusetts dealt a blow to the White House, but another special election loss could hit closer to home for President Obama -- literally.

At the end of February, Democratic Rep. Neil Abercrombie, who represented the Congressional district that includes Obama's birthplace of Honolulu, gave up his seat to run for governor of Hawaii. Under the unique circumstances of the May special election to replace him, there will be a three-way race featuring two Democrats, giving the lone Republican, Honolulu city councilman Charles Djou, a shot to take the seat with a simple plurality.

Djou's campaign argues that despite the Democratic nature of the state, it promises be a competitive race, and notes that George W. Bush received 47 percent of the vote in the district in 2004, and Republican Gov. Linda Lingle won nearly two-thirds of the vote there in 2006. While the Cook Political Report still considers the seat to "lean Democratic," it was previously considered safe.

If a Republican can win in the district representing Obama's birthplace, "then no Democratic seat in the U.S. Congress is safe," Djou said in an interview on Tuesday at a gathering of reporters in downtown Washington, trying to emphasize the significance of his race.

Djou, 38, was born and raised in Hawaii and graduated from Punahou School (the same high school as Obama) before moving stateside to gain degrees in economics and political science from the University of Pennsylvania and later a law degree from the University of Southern California. A practicing attorney, Djou first entered politics when he was elected to the Hawaii House of Representatives in 2000 and two years later joined the Honolulu city council.

In person, Djou seemed at ease discussing a wide range of domestic and foreign policy issues, taking positions that one might expect from a Republican trying to strike a balance in a traditionally Democratic area. For instance, he talked about reducing capital gains taxes to spur economic growth and advocated a simpler tax code with lower rates and fewer exemptions. Yet when it came to abortion, he said he considered Roe v. Wade settled law, but supports parental notification, and opposes partial birth abortions as well as public funding of abortions. An officer in the U.S. Army Reserve, Djou favors allowing gays to openly serve in the military, but says that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Djou identified the budget crisis as the dominant issue in the campaign, and prominently features a national debt clock on his website. "The federal government spending trillions is bad enough," Djou said. "But government spending with no results is even worse."

While he strongly criticized many of President Obama's signature policies, including the health care push and the economic stimulus package, he's careful not to make the race about Obama. "I am not personally running against Obama," he said. "Barack Obama is not on the ballot."

Djou said that health care "is not as acute" an issue in Hawaii, where an employer mandate already exists. Just as Scott Brown maintained support for the Massachusetts health care system even while disavowing the similarly-structured national health care bill, Djou gave me a "a cautious yes" when asked if he supported the health care system in Hawaii. He reconciled his views by saying that ideally, he'd like to see the Hawaiian system superseded by some of the reforms that conservatives have been advocating, including tort reform, expansion of health savings accounts, interstate purchase of insurance, and allowing individuals the same tax advantages for purchasing insurance on their own as they do when purchasing through employers.

Asked about the type of measures he would support to fight the fiscal crisis, he mentioned earmark reform and a balanced budget amendment. In the abstract, he said he supported the idea of reining in entitlement spending, but was hesitant to discuss specifics. For instance, he said that President Bush had the right idea by addressing Social Security, and said the concept of voluntary personal accounts "deserves examination," but wasn't willing to say he supported a specific plan because he said that Democrats would take him out of context and attack him for wanting to destroy Social Security.

When it came to foreign policy, the generally cool-mannered Djou got particularly fired up when discussing North Korea. Kim Jong-Il is a "nutcase," he said, with 20 nuclear weapons capable of hitting Honolulu if the guidance systems are improved. Djou said that a disproportionate amount of attention has been put on the Iranian nuclear threat to the neglect of the situation in North Korea.

"If Mahmoud Ahmadinejad fires a nuclear weapon and destroys Tel Aviv, that would be a terrible, terrible thing," he said. "But I'll be blunt. I'm far more concerned about a nuclear bomb landing in Honolulu."

Djou took issue with the Obama administration's call for direct talks with North Korea and favors the six-party approach. He called for an end to food aid and for the same level of pressure that's being put on Iran. Specifically, he said the military option should not be taken off the table. "We need to understand that [Kim Jong-Il] is a thug, and treat him like a thug," he said.

With regard to Iraq and Afghanistan, Djou said he believes that once America enters a conflict, it has to do everything it can to win. He said he supported the Iraq War at the time based on the reports that Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction. "If we knew then what we know now, I don't think a case could have been made to go in."

Djou said the United States had a moral and national security interest in maintaining strong ties to Israel. He said he supported President Bush's "roadmap" to peace between Israelis and Palestinians, but believed that Israelis shouldn't be pressured into any concessions, particularly while the Palestinians are still divided among Hamas and Fatah. "I will defer to the Israelis," he said. "I appreciate Israel saying that Palestinians need to get their house in order. I think that is a reasonable negotiating position."

The special election is officially on May 22, but Djou said the effective election date is three weeks earlier. As a money-saving measure, Hawaii decided to hold an all mail-in election, and based on past experience, Djou expects about half of all ballots to be returned within 72 hours of being sent out on April 30, and 80 percent of them to be returned within the first week. He anticipates a close race, with the first and third place candidate separated by just single digits.

"This is a race you're going to want to pay attention to," Djou said.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: President Obama's Own Back Yard Could go Red
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 06:30:19 AM »
Boy, if that happens, Obama will never hear the end of it.

I wonder if those Dems in the running will ask their boy to stump for them.

;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 06:33:47 AM »
Boy, if that happens, Obama will never hear the end of it.

I wonder if those Dems in the running will ask their boy to stump for them.

;D

It already is.   ;D

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:55:16 AM »
As a citizen of Illinois, I have to say that it would be unthinkable if a Dem. won here, absolutely crazy and awesome. The state is very poorly run, corrupt and inept to the point of collapse. We need real "Change" in this state before a default happens. Although my county of Will is run by Republicans and hasn't had to raise its sales tax to 10%+ like Cook county did and we still have a balanced budget.

Strange.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »
As a citizen of Illinois, I have to say that it would be unthinkable if a Dem. won here, absolutely crazy and awesome. The state is very poorly run, corrupt and inept to the point of collapse. We need real "Change" in this state before a default happens. Although my county of Will is run by Republicans and hasn't had to raise its sales tax to 10%+ like Cook county did and we still have a balanced budget.

Strange.

Ha Ha Ha Gigantor!   You think Illinois is screwed up?  Come to NYS and you will REALLY see screwed up. 

Just think of this cast of charachters:

Massa the Tickler
Spitzer
Patterson
Monserat
Charlie Rangle   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 05:10:35 PM »
Djou is a great candidate, but I doubt he wins.  We are a one party state.  We have 2 (out of 25) Republicans in the state senate and about 2 (out of 25) Republicans in the house.  People just get tunnel vision at the polls.  It's a real shame.

If I had to predict, I'd say he faces Ed Case and probably loses to him. 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
Beach, what part of Illinois do you live in?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »
Beach, what part of Illinois do you live in?

The suburb called Honolulu.  :D

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:07:49 AM »
The suburb called Honolulu.  :D

You bastard.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »
 :o

Tight race for seat in Congress
By Derrick DePledge
Advertiser Government Writer

A new poll taken for Daily Kos, a liberal website, shows a three-way tie in the May special election for Congress in urban Honolulu's 1st Congressional District.

City Councilman Charles Djou was at 32 percent in the poll, former congressman Ed Case was at 29 percent, and state Senate President Colleen Hanabusa was at 28 percent. Four percent supported other candidates. Seven percent were undecided.

The poll was taken from Sunday to Wednesday by Research 2000 for Daily Kos among 500 likely voters who live in the district. The margin of error was 4.5 percentage points.

Several private polls have shown that the race is contracting, with Case and Djou alternating in front and Hanabusa trailing slightly. The Daily Kos poll is the first poll publicly released since a January survey sponsored by the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and KITV, which had Case comfortably in the lead.

The poll results likely will fuel concern among national and local Democrats that Case and Hanabusa will split the Democratic vote and hand the special election to Djou, a Republican.

National Democrats are concerned that a loss in a traditionally Democratic state — and in President Obama's hometown congressional district — will give Republicans momentum leading up to the November midterm elections.

Obama has a 61 percent favorable rating in the district, according to the Daily Kos poll.

The poll also found that 45 percent would be more likely to vote for a candidate who supports the new health care reform law, compared with 31 percent who would back a candidate who wants to repeal the law.

Case and Hanabusa have supported health care reform. Djou has opposed the law.

Case had a higher favorable rating (47 percent) than Djou (40) and Hanabusa (37).

Daily Kos, founded by Markos Moulitsas, is a website popular with progressives. Activists have used the site to build "netroots" political and fundraising support for progressive candidates.

"Hanabusa likely suffers from being seen as the establishment candidate in an anti-establishment year," Moulitsas wrote in a post about the poll results. "Unfortunately, she's the better candidate, by far."

Moulitsas, like many Democrats locally, suggests that a Djou victory would be temporary and that Demo-crats would likely recapture the seat in November.

"While I'm excited about the clear momentum our campaign is building, as reflected in this poll, the only poll that counts is the one by the voters," Djou said in a statement.

Case said he does not think Hanabusa, despite a fundraising advantage, has been able to move forward and is about at the same place in the polls she was in January.

"This is coming down to a straight choice between me and Charles Djou," Case said.

Hanabusa, however, said the poll reflected her momentum.

"I'm thrilled that the hard work of our campaign volunteers and the outpouring of grassroots support are paying off. My message of reform and hope is catching on,"she said in a statement.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100417/NEWS05/4170316/Tight+race+for+seat+in+Congress

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »
Dems got the white house.

repubs can have a parade because they pick up some shitty chicago districts...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
 ::)

Obama urges Hawaii to vote for a Democrat
Phone message aims to slow momentum of Republican Djou

By Derrick DePledge

President Obama will appeal to Honolulu voters to choose a Democrat in the special election for Congress, as national Democrats grow increasingly alarmed that Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou, a Republican, could snatch the president's hometown district.

Obama recorded a telephone message for voters describing the special election in urban Honolulu's 1st Congressional District as "crucial for us to continue pushing forward our agenda for change.

"I need a Democrat that will support my agenda in Congress," the president said in a message expected to be released today. "I need someone that will hold Wall Street and the big special interests accountable."

National Democrats, meanwhile, released a new poll taken for the Democratic National Committee that found Djou leading and former Congressman Ed Case and state Senate President Colleen Hanabusa splitting the Democratic vote.

The poll results were similar to the Hawai'i Poll published in The Advertiser on Sunday.

A memo released with the DNC poll — first reported by Politico, a national political website — concluded that Case was better positioned to beat Djou.

"The bottom line is that with a split-Democratic vote, this congressional (seat) is more likely than not to fall into Republican hands," wrote Paul Harstad and Mike Kulisheck, of Harstad Strategic Research Inc., a Colorado based firm.

"Ed Case is the only candidate who can beat Charles Djou in this multi-candidate special election in May."

candidate Case
A national Democratic strategist, speaking privately, said the DNC poll and the memo reflected White House thinking about the campaign.

National Democrats have considered backing Case over Hanabusa and, behind-the-scenes, have urged Hanabusa's supporters to convince her to step aside.

The White House's political staff, according to a local Democratic strategist familiar with the conversations, has applied pressure to get U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Inouye and U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka — who have endorsed Hanabusa — to ease up on their support.

"That's not local style. You just don't do that," the local strategist said. "You might do that someplace else — throw your friends under the bus — but in Hawai'i you just don't do that."

behind HanabuSa
Randy Perreira, the executive director of the Hawaii Government Employees Association, the state's largest public-sector labor union, said national Democrats are very concerned Djou might win.

Perreira, who was out sign-waving for Hanabusa yesterday afternoon, said labor is doing outreach to the estimated 30,000 AFL-CIO workers who live in the district.

"The message from the beginning is to vote Hanabusa, and we're not going to waver on that," he said.

Over the past few weeks, Case has sought to narrow the choice for voters as between him and Djou. He used the DNC poll results as fresh evidence.

"As we have been saying, Colleen cannot win this election, and her desperate attacks are proving that," Case said in an e-mail to supporters.

Hanabusa has said she does not believe the recent poll results depict the state of the campaign. Crystal Kua, a Hanabusa campaign spokeswoman, said she is not aware of any specific request for Hanabusa to step aside.

"We still believe that these polls are contrary to what we're hearing," she said.

Jonah Ka'auwai, the state GOP chairman, said he believes Djou is leading because of his message of fiscal conservatism and his criticism of the direction Congress is headed.

"The Democrats have issues that they have to work out," he said. "That's not our problem. That's their problem."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100504/NEWS01/5040356/Obama+urges+Hawaii+to+vote+for+a+Democrat

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »
I hope she stays in.

May 5, 2010
Hanabusa says she is in the race to the end and in to win
Advertiser Staff

State Senate President Colleen Hanabusa said today that she would not drop out of the special election for Congress.

"I'm in this race until the end, and I'm in this race to win," Hanabusa said at a news conference at her campaign headquarters off Ward Avenue.

National Democrats are concerned that Hanabusa and former congressman Ed Case will split the Democratic vote and hand Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou, a Republican, the victory in President Obama's hometown district.

Recent polls put Djou in the lead, followed by Case and then Hanabusa.

National Democrats have considered backing Case over Hanabusa and, behind the scenes, have urged Hanabusa's supporters to persuade her to step aside.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100505/BREAKING01/100505033/Hanabusa+says+she+is+in+the+race+to+the+end+and+in+to+win+

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »
This is funny.  Pumped all that money into the race, which was used to pay for misleading attack ads. 

Djou is actually leading in the latest poll.   :o

U.S. House Democrats may abandon Hawaii race after spending $300,000
By DAVID ESPO
AP Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON — Despite spending more than $300,000, frustrated House Democrats may abandon efforts to win a special election in Hawaii after quiet diplomacy failed to end a high-level party feud that threatens their prospects.

"It's an extremely difficult race, since two Democratic candidates are splitting the vote," said Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

"The local Democrats haven't been able to come together and resolve that, so we'll have to re-evaluate our participation."

Recent public and private polls show Republican Charles Djou ahead in a race to fill out the remaining few months in the term of former Rep. Neil Abercrombie, who left Congress earlier this year to run for governor.

Djou's rivals include former Democratic Rep. Ed Case, runner-up in the polls, and fellow Democrat Colleen Hanabusa, the state Senate president, who trails further behind in a race with more than a dozen candidates in all. The winner-take-all race is by mail ballot, which must be received by election officials by May 22.

At first glance, the political stakes involved are scant — the winner is assured of serving in Congress only until this fall's midterm elections, when all 435 House seats are on the ballot.

But the psychological impact of a Republican victory in the state where President Obama was born could be considerable. GOP officials say they are on a path to take control of the House this fall, and seize every opportunity to claim momentum.

Case served three terms in the House before giving up his seat in 2006 for an unsuccessful challenge to Sen. Daniel Akaka's re-election.

Sen. Daniel Inouye has said publicly Case did so after personally assuring him and Akaka that he was not going to challenge the senator, an account Case disputes.

Now, four years later, Inouye and Akaka are Hanabusa's most prominent supporters — and formidable obstacles not only to Case's comeback but to the Democratic Party's chances of holding a seat that has been in their hands since 1990.

Several officials said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, acting at the request of the White House, recently appealed to Inouye to change course, out of a fear that unless Hanabusa withdrew, Republicans would likely win the seat.

They spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss details of the events.

A spokesman for Inouye said he was unaware of any such conversation. Akaka said in a brief interview he had not received a similar appeal.

Records on file with the Federal Election Commission show the Democratic campaign committee headed by Van Hollen has spent more than $300,000 on the race, much of it for ads critical of Djou and designed to prevent him from winning.

Democrats also have paid for automated telephone calls in which Obama urges voters to support "a Democrat."

Democrats have been hit with a series of retirements in recent months in districts that appear to be competitive for the first time in many years, including this week's announcement by Wisconsin Rep. David Obey that he will not seek re-election after more than four decades in Congress.

Additionally, the two parties are spending heavily in Pennsylvania in advance of a May 18 special election to fill out the term of the late Rep. John Murtha.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100506/BREAKING01/100506059/U.S.+House+Democrats+may+abandon+Hawaii+race+after+spending++300+000

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »
Still shocked that Djou is leading in the polls. 

National Democrats pull out of Hawaii special election
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — House Democrats are abandoning efforts to win a special election in Hawaii as a party feud threatens their prospects in President Barack Obama's native state.

Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spokeswoman Jennifer Crider today said the organization would stop spending for the May 22 contest to replace Rep. Neil Abercrombie, who left Congress to run for governor.

The DCCC said it would save the money it would have spent on the special election for the general election in November.

National Democrats have been smarting over the Democratic fight between state Senate president Colleen Hanabusa and former Rep. Ed Case.

Hanabusa is favored by the state's two senators, Daniel K. Inouye and Daniel Akaka, as well as labor. The DCCC blamed local Democrats for infighting.

Republican Charles Djou is leading in the polls. The Democratic campaign committee has spent an estimated $300,000 on the race, much of it for ads critical of Djou.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100510/BREAKING01/100510009/National+Democrats+pull+out+of+Hawaii+special+election

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 12:52:51 PM »
I'm thinking there is going to be a big flip to red too.  Started thinking this about 6 to 8 months ago. 

To me, the disapointment is going to be a low showing of independents against both parties.  The one thing I hoped would come out of the tea party BS is a new voice battering things around  a bit in congress....  It looks like they were fully corrupted and there will be none of that in the next cycle. :-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »
Hugo - I think most people right now just want a check on Obama and sadly, unfortunately, and regrettably, the only way immediately to do that is to vote out pelosi and her fellow travelers in the house. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »
Obama isn't winning Ohio ever again, watch and see....
S

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 01:05:18 PM »
Hugo - I think most people right now just want a check on Obama and sadly, unfortunately, and regrettably, the only way immediately to do that is to vote out pelosi and her fellow travelers in the house. 

yea, but there could have been room all over the country to get third party (tea party) or whatever people in there or in for contention.  I had my hidden hopes that would happen but it looks like it's going to be a fizzle.  and it's a fizzle for a reason.  A reason that should be talked about!!!! 

We always bitch about elections being between dumbass A and dumbass B...  This is going to be the perfect example of why that is and we should all talk about that!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
Look, there are signs.  The GOP getting rid of Bennet is a good sign, Ran Paul is a good sign, etc etc. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 01:08:23 PM »
yea, but there could have been room all over the country to get third party (tea party) or whatever people in there or in for contention.  I had my hidden hopes that would happen but it looks like it's going to be a fizzle.  and it's a fizzle for a reason.  A reason that should be talked about!!!! 

We always bitch about elections being between dumbass A and dumbass B...  This is going to be the perfect example of why that is and we should all talk about that!!!!

Hugo - check this out. 

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-47850-Portland-ME-Tea-Party-Examiner~y2010m5d9-Activists-stunning-Republican-platform-win

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »
Djou surges in fundraising
More ads could hike lead over Case, Hanabusa in campaign's final weeks
By Derrick DePledge

Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou has seized the fundraising advantage in the special election for Congress, and likely has more cash available for the final two weeks of the campaign than congressman Ed Case and state Senate President Colleen Hanabusa.

Djou's fundraising surge may allow him to dominate in television ads and help him maintain his lead in public and private polls for the winner-take-all vote in urban Honolulu's 1st Congressional District.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee announced yesterday that it will halt television ads in Hawai'i, ceding the airwaves and, unless other Democratic groups step up, leaving Case and Hanabusa on their own to counter the Republican Djou.

Djou raised $525,150 in April and had $362,700 in cash at the start of May, according to federal campaign finance reports. He has raised $1.2 million overall.

Hanabusa pulled in $349,000 in April. Her cash on hand was not immediately available last night. She has collected more than $1 million in total.

Case raised $287,400 in April and had $153,500 in cash left in his account. He has raised about $680,000 overall.

"The outpouring of support we have received from our donors has been tremendous and reinforces the fact that our message of lowering the tax burden, creating jobs and holding the line on government spending is the conversation voters want to have," Djou said in a statement.

The DCCC spent about $314,000 on campaign ads and outreach against Djou in Hawai'i but has been frustrated by polls that show Case and Hanabusa splitting the Democratic vote.

Within the past few weeks, U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Inouye, D-Hawai'i, gave another $50,000 of his campaign money to the DCCC for possible use against Djou, sources close to Inouye and the DCCC said. Inouye, who has endorsed Hanabusa, had initially given $100,000.

"Local Democrats were unable to work out their differences," Jennifer Crider, a DCCC spokeswoman, said in a statement. "The DCCC will save the resources we would have invested in the Hawai'i special election this month for the general election in November."

Staff with the Democratic National Committee and Organizing for America, a grassroots network that grew out of President Obama's 2008 presidential campaign, will continue to provide voter education and get-out-the-vote efforts for the special election.

The DNC has also been posting videos critical of Djou on the Internet.

Dante Carpenter, the interim chairman of the Democratic Party of Hawai'i, had written to national Democrats last week complaining about leaks that suggested national Democrats favor Case over Hanabusa.

Carpenter questioned whether the DCCC ads against Djou were effective, a sentiment shared privately by the Case and Hanabusa campaigns.

Republicans celebrated the DCCC's retreat as a sign of Djou's strength. A new poll released yesterday by Honolulu Civil Beat, a local news and opinion website, found Djou with a substantial lead — 39.5 percent — and Case and Hanabusa splitting the Democratic vote at 25.5 percent each. About 10 percent were undecided.

The automated telephone poll, by the Merriman River Group of Massachusetts, was taken among 1,081 likely voters last Thursday and Friday. The margin of error was 3 percentage points.

Similar patterns were found in the Hawai'i Poll and a private poll taken for the DNC, which influenced the DCCC's decision to walk away.

"National Democrats' decision to meddle in local politics and pick sides not only failed, but also brought to light additional rifts within a party already in disarray," Joanna Burgos, a spokeswoman for the National Republican Congressional Committee, said in a statement. "The DCCC is giving up in a district as blue as this one due to their own blunders and a fed-up constituency that rejected their reckless agenda of higher taxes, negligent spending and government takeovers."

Jonah Ka'auwai, the state GOP chairman, said the national Democrats' ads backfired.

"D.C. Democrats learned the hard way that smear campaigns and flat out lies do not work in Hawai'i," he said.

"Ed Case and his D.C. friends tried to bully Colleen Hanabusa out of the race and the only thing they were able to do was drive down Ed's poll numbers and ultimately drive the DCCC out of Hawai'i.

"This race is a clear choice between Charles' positive message of lower taxes and job creation and the tired, stale and deceitful campaign tactics of his Democrat opponents."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100511/NEWS05/5110321/Djou+surges+in+fundraising

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 06:49:46 PM »
I didn't get one?   ???   :)

Obama e-mail asks Hawaii voters to back a Democrat
Associated Press

HONOLULU — President Obama is again asking Hawaii voters to choose a Democrat to fill Hawaii's vacant congressional seat.

Obama's name appears on an e-mail sent Tuesday by Organizing for America. It is the successor to Obama's 2008 presidential campaign that now is run by the Democratic National Committee.

Obama notes in the e-mail that he was born and mostly raised in Hawaii. He says there are two "outstanding Democrats" running for the post — state Senate President Colleen Hanabusa and former U.S. Rep. Ed Case. He says he wants another Democratic ally in Congress.

The e-mail also provides links to voting information.

Obama has endorsed neither candidate.

The leading Republican in the race is Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100511/BREAKING01/100511047/0/BREAKING01/Obama-e-mail-asks-Hawaii-voters-to-back-a-Democrat

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 12:17:17 PM »
An awful lot of mainland money being poured into this campaign.  Democrats are worried. 

Union gives $100,000 to fight Djou, Case
By Derrick DePledge

The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees has donated $100,000 for an advertising campaign against Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou, a Republican, and former congressman Ed Case, a Democrat, in the special election for Congress.

The national union made the donation in late April to Workers For a Better Hawai'i, an independent labor group that backs state Senate President Colleen Hanabusa, a Democrat, in the special election.

Workers For a Better Hawai'i has spent more than $73,250 on radio ads against Djou and Case so far, according to federal campaign finance reports.

"We think that Djou and Case really haven't supported workers," said Nora Nomura, an officer with Workers For a Better Hawai'i who also serves as deputy executive director of the Hawai'i Government Employees Association, which is under the AFSCME umbrella. The HGEA has also endorsed Hanabusa.

Nomura cited Djou's support for tax cuts for the affluent and Case's backing of President Bush's tax cuts on capital gains and dividends as examples. She said such tax breaks can come at the expense of government spending on public services.

The AFSCME donation is among the largest by Mainland groups trying to influence the winner-take-all vote in urban Honolulu's 1st Congressional District.

Independent Women's Voice, a national conservative group, has spent $237,500 on television ads critical of Case. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spent about $314,000 on television ads aimed at Djou. And the Republican National Committee moved at least $90,400 to the state GOP, which used the money on ads to help Djou.

All three leading candidates have received direct contributions from national donors — Djou, in particular, has benefitted from a national Republican fundraising network — but Mainland groups can also assist through independent spending not directly linked with the campaigns.

Djou is leading in public and private polls, with Case second or tied for second with Hanabusa in most surveys. Many national Demo-crats have said they believe Case has a better chance than Hanabusa of beating Djou, and the fact that Case is a target of both the conservative and labor ads reinforces that impression.

Jason Burke, an adviser to the Case campaign, said Hanabusa and her allies would be attacking only Djou if she thought she could win.

"She knows she can't win so she's attacking Ed. She's more concerned about attacking Ed Case than what's best for the district," Burke said.

"Djou and his band of tea party extremists will spend almost a million dollars attacking Ed because he knows if he was ever in a head-to-head race with Ed he would get beat by 30 points."

Hanabusa's advisers noted that the Case campaign sent out an e-mail yesterday comparing Hanabusa to Ralph Nader, the Green Party candidate who took votes from Vice President Al Gore in the 2000 presidential campaign and "gave us the Bush presidency."

The Hanabusa campaign has also been upset over a Case television ad that implies an endorsement from President Obama based on a quote from an unnamed senior White House official who says he believes Case has the better chance. President Obama, in a telephone message and e-mail to Honolulu voters, has remained neutral between the two Democrats.

"AFSCME, like all independent groups in this election, determines their own message and reaches out in their own way. Clearly, they are concerned about the well-being of the workers they represent, and believe that neither Case nor Djou will act in the best interests of Hawai'i's working families. Colleen will," Eric Hamakawa, Hanabusa's campaign manager, said in a statement.

"As Ed persists in his shameless campaign of misleading commercials and inflammatory e-mails, groups that care about the outcome of this election and the future of Hawai'i will continue to oppose him."

The Djou campaign declined to comment.

Thirty-five percent of the 317,000 eligible voters have mailed back their ballots, according to the state Office of Elections. The deadline to return ballots is May 22; that's when the election results will be announced.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100513/NEWS05/5130323/Union+gives++100+000+to+fight+Djou++Case