Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
October 24, 2014, 02:25:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
   Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anybody recommend a good allround powerlifting workout?  (Read 1784 times)
Stark
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 22925



« on: March 15, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »

Atm I bench press twice a week squat once and deadlift once
all other exercise are around getting me as strong as possible, quite a change from my usual BB workout.
Saturday Sunday are all about maxing it out.
So far I don't feel overtrained but atm all is a little bit crazy and i would need some form of a plan.

I would like to up my bench squat and deadlift of course - work on gripping power (years of using straps have left me with a kitty grip)

For cardio and stamina I push my car atm, and let me tell you it fucking kills me every time.
Report to moderator   Logged
BB
Getbig V
*****
Posts: 5092


I hope I'm not boring you.


« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:06:46 AM »

Have you tried Wendler's 531? it's a nice mellow workout that fits most folks well. You can get some idea of it here- http://www.irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=199997&hilit=kroc+531 .

Read through the whole thread, as lots of thoughts are broken up amongst the posts.
Report to moderator   Logged
Stark
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 22925



« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:24:11 AM »

nice one thanks a lot
Report to moderator   Logged
Stark
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 22925



« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »

damn thats hard to understand for somebody who never looked at powerlifting plan

can you explain it too me or will that take too much time?
Report to moderator   Logged
BB
Getbig V
*****
Posts: 5092


I hope I'm not boring you.


« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »

Ok, here it goes:

1)You take your 3-4 basic power lifts(dead, bench, squat, and C/J or Military press) and do one major lift a training day. After you do the major lift, you do some moderate volume accesory work. Generally you want to go lower body, upper body, lower body, etc.......



First week

1 set x 5 reps @ 65% of 1 rep max.
1 set x 5 reps @ 75%
1 x as many as you can do @ 85%

Assistance work.

2nd week

70% x 1 set x 3 reps

80% for 1 x 3

90% for 1 x  3.

Accessory work

Week 3

5 reps x 1 set at 75%

3 reps x 1 set at 85%

1 rep at 95%
 
Accessory work

Week 4 deload

5 x 5 in the 40-60% range.


After the main lifts, just do some of the of the accessory lifts for 3 sets of 8-10., you know standard bodybuilding stuff. Just make sure that they fit, like dips and dumbbell inclines after major pressing, etc... Rows and chins after deadlifting, etc....

After a month cycle add 10 pounds to the big lower body lifts, 5 to the upper bodylifts.

 
Report to moderator   Logged
BB
Getbig V
*****
Posts: 5092


I hope I'm not boring you.


« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »

Also when I say 1 rep max, be conservative, It should be a a good tough rep, but not a gut buster, maybe start 5-10% below your true absolute one rep max.

Conditioning work work you can fit in where you like.
Report to moderator   Logged
benchmstr
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 11545

Heraclitus was right


« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »

Atm I bench press twice a week squat once and deadlift once
all other exercise are around getting me as strong as possible, quite a change from my usual BB workout.
Saturday Sunday are all about maxing it out.
So far I don't feel overtrained but atm all is a little bit crazy and i would need some form of a plan.

I would like to up my bench squat and deadlift of course - work on gripping power (years of using straps have left me with a kitty grip)

For cardio and stamina I push my car atm, and let me tell you it fucking kills me every time.

ass to mouth??.....your a freak!!!

bench
Report to moderator   Logged
Stark
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 22925



« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »

EXCELLENT thanks a lot guys - I also bought the book 5/3/1 I could have probably rapid shared it but I dont feel like ripping the guy off.
Great read actually the first ebook i bought Tongue

Thanks for the explanation I will be busy working out my new plan - one thing he says is that you HAVE to stick to it and not fall into temptation of going nuts one day, also the small increase and light weight start is going to be hard.

Thanks guys,


Its great I am again very motivated for a couple of month now and not only go to the gym to do my workout but to also have a lot of fun
Report to moderator   Logged
ripitupbaby
Pros
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Female
Posts: 6944


2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ


« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 05:11:52 PM »

ass to mouth??.....your a freak!!!

bench


 Grin


You shouldn't be maxing out every week.  Simplest way to make some gains quickly is to rotate between light/moderate/heavy weeks and focus 75% of your training on the big three lifts (and only other exercises that contribute to the big three) and the other 25% on core strength, speed, and GPP.  You have to lift light to lift heavy.


Report to moderator   Logged

Smiley
rccs
Getbig IV
****
Posts: 3082


Alma Matter!


« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »

Follow westside... all the way westside!
Report to moderator   Logged

S
benchmstr
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 11545

Heraclitus was right


« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »


 Grin


You shouldn't be maxing out every week.  Simplest way to make some gains quickly is to rotate between light/moderate/heavy weeks and focus 75% of your training on the big three lifts (and only other exercises that contribute to the big three) and the other 25% on core strength, speed, and GPP.  You have to lift light to lift heavy.



you left your bra on my ceiling fan Wink

bench
Report to moderator   Logged
ripitupbaby
Pros
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Female
Posts: 6944


2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ


« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:52:21 AM »

you left your bra on my ceiling fan Wink

bench


 Shocked

Report to moderator   Logged

Smiley
benchmstr
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 11545

Heraclitus was right


« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:59:55 PM »


 Shocked


you can come pick it up.......but you will have to work for it Kiss

 Grin
bench
Report to moderator   Logged
Coach is Back!
Competitors
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 24713


He won by a "landslide" lol


WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 05:07:18 PM »

Agree with rccs.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!