Author Topic: Breaking news: Shawn Michaels retiring after Wrestlemania 26....  (Read 4289 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Shawn Michaels has been telling friends as of late he plans on retiring at WrestleMania. His contract is set to expire soon and he has talked about wanting to spend more time with his children as they grow up.

Michaels himself has made noise about retiring in recent years, to the point that WWE actually scripted jokes about it on Raw. After taking time off in 2008, he made noise about deciding not to come back. Like previous times he'd taken time off, WWE would call him back to return and he would. He also said in a radio interview last year that he had told the company his retirement date (which at the time was this year's WrestleMania). On the other hand, he's brought up the idea of wrestling well into his fifties, though only a match or two per year.

Michaels is not advertised for any shows past the night after WrestleMania when RAW emanates from the US Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona.

Well folks, there you have it. Sorry Cheftim but my posts are based on facts not favorites. I guess we all know who's winning that big match at WM26 now...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Breaking news: Shawn Michaels retiring after Wrestlemania 26....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:00:36 AM »
I think it's a good idea for SM.  I think many of the guys on the WWE roster could pull that off.  Just bring them in a few times a year for short stints. 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »
I doubt they will give this match to Michaels for the simple fact that he does come back after every “retirement.”
So, losing his “last match” will not mean losing his last match.

His long-term part-time working goals are believable because he loves the attention, drama, and spotlight.
HBK is one of those guys like Flair who will never give it up completely.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
You don't know - this whole retirement story coming from him may be a work.
 :-\

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:44:29 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it. I cannot see HBK retiring. Maybe just taking a break but not retiring. Where's his income gonna come from? He's gotta work just like the rest of us. He's gonna have one more huge one against Undertaker then we'll see him again next year. HHH needs him too much. Once HHH is done fueding with Sheamus where's he gonna go? There's definitely gonna be another HHH/HBK fued. Think VKM wants him to retire? Gotta look at the big picture here. $ makes the World go round. VKM gives Shawn the money and schedule he wants and he isn't going anywhere.
Chef....really now...he makes a million dollars per year + bonuses, gate, etc. Do you really think he needs the cash??? Plus, don't forget he is 45 years old, he's a family man now and he is very devoted to his church. Also, like Mont said, this could all be a work or a "fake leak" by WWE to throw off people like me who surf the web and try to find things out.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »
Not to mention that his 'skullett' is becoming an absolute mess as he gets older.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:56:07 AM »
Not to mention that his 'skullett' is becoming an absolute mess as he gets older.
Well thats just it. In the last year with the exception of last year's match with the Undertaker at WM25, what has he done??? He took 5 months off, then they put him into the DX reformation to take the stress off him because of his constant nagging injuries. Then they reduced his work schedual to one day a week. What more is there to do??? He's made his money x10, he's had a stellar career. Nothing left but the HOF.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:06:14 PM »
I agree. Michaels really is an awesome perfomer. But it's time to hang it up. His body seems to really be breaking down.

I keep wondering how far behind Triple HHH is from retiring as well. He seems to be moving really slow in the ring thes days.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
I agree. Michaels really is an awesome perfomer. But it's time to hang it up. His body seems to really be breaking down.

I keep wondering how far behind Triple HHH is from retiring as well. He seems to be moving really slow in the ring thes days.
Just so you guys get an idea of how much money these guys make / have...google up HHH & Stephanie's mansion.  ;)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
HHH and Stephanie make way more being the primary stock holders daughter and son-in-law.

Most do not make anywhere near that kind of cash.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 06:03:40 AM »
A lot of that will depend on:
   a.) how much money he's made over his career,
   b.) how much of that money he’s saved,
   c.) how much he’s invested,
   d.) the kinds of returns he’s gotten on those investments,
   e.) how his family’s living now,
   f.) and how they are willing/expecting to live in the future.  

Besides, his old pal Hunter can always float him a few hundred-thou if things get tough.
 :D

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »
needs to shave that head and let go of that thinning hair with dignity.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 03:38:38 PM »
needs to shave that head and let go of that thinning hair with dignity.
Hair vs Streak match @ WM 27 ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 04:47:30 AM »
A lot of that will depend on:
   a.) how much money he's made over his career,
   b.) how much of that money he’s saved,
   c.) how much he’s invested,
   d.) the kinds of returns he’s gotten on those investments,
   e.) how his family’s living now,
   f.) and how they are willing/expecting to live in the future.  

Besides, his old pal Hunter can always float him a few hundred-thou if things get tough.
 :D
Michael's was making 250,000 per year as a Rocker. As HBK / Intercontinental Champion he was making 400,000. As World Champion he was making 750,000 between 1996-1998. Upon his return Vince signed him to 1,000,000 per year and he's been making that since for the last 7 years. All this doesn't include PPV bonuses and gate bonuses that superstars command. I HIGHLY doubt he needs cash. That is large coin for a pro wrestler. He has more then you can imagine, fellas. 1 mill = 100,000 dollars per year in interest alone. Then like Mont says there are investments, other outside ventures, etc.

All the more reason why they look hurting when they try to wrestle at 45+ years of age. They think they can move and take the same bumps like they did 5-10 years ago. Basically, they can't and you cannot turn back the clock. Watch a Michael's match from 1996-1998 and watch a Michael's match from 2010. You'll see the difference. Same with Flair and Hogan who both with all do respect to their careers look like a joke in the ring right now.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:43 AM »
I’ve read where Arnold’s real estate investments have made him anywhere from as much as to more than the money he earned from all his movie work - and don't forget that a lot of his movies from the early 90's on paid him $25+ million ea.

I believe HBK has matured since making the best money of his career. Even after independent contractor taxes & agent fees, etc. he’s okay.
These guys today are about business – not like the days of Johnny Valentine, who used to walk down the street lighting his cigar with a $100 bill.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 07:11:48 AM »
I’ve read where Arnold’s real estate investments have made him anywhere from as much as to more than the money he earned from all his movie work - and don't forget that a lot of his movies from the early 90's on paid him $25+ million ea.

I believe HBK has matured since making the best money of his career. Even after independent contractor taxes & agent fees, etc. he’s okay.
These guys today are about business – not like the days of Johnny Valentine, who used to walk down the street lighting his cigar with a $100 bill.

Mont...you f*****n kill me....lol...at the end of your posts, you always through a curveball that brings back memories for me and gets me cracking up in tears. Who can ever forget the great JV lighting up a stowgie with a $100 dollar bill   Priceless memories   Classic stuff.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 04:33:40 PM »
Mont...you f*****n kill me....lol...at the end of your posts, you always through a curveball that brings back memories for me and gets me cracking up in tears. Who can ever forget the great JV lighting up a stowgie with a $100 dollar bill   Priceless memories   Classic stuff.

;)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 07:19:14 AM »
Here's another interesting article from "under the table"...

There continue to be quiet rumblings that Sunday may in fact be the end of Shawn Michaels’ career.

The stipulation that HBK must retire if he loses to the Undertaker at WWE’s WrestleMania may be more than gimmick.

The 44-year-old has been telling his friends that he plans to retire after Sunday’s match according to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer.

After his match at last year’s WrestleMania in Houston Michaels decided to take time off from the company. During his hiatus word surfaced that he was seriously considering not coming back.

He delayed his return date on multiple occasions, but eventually returned to revive the Degeneration X gimmick with Triple H.

Ironically, some are speculating that Triple H will cost Michaels the win at Sunday’s pay per view. His match with Sheamus hasn’t been pushed all that heavily compared to other bouts on the card which may leave a little bit of wiggle room for WWE to use him twice on the show.

Should Michaels decide to return to wrestling the seed will certainly have been planted for those two to feud. Even if he is hell bent on calling it quits, you have to keep in mind that in pro wrestling 99 times out of 100 retirement only lasts six months to a year (see: Ric Flair).

Undertaker, who turned 45 on Wednesday, will also be taking time off shortly after WrestleMania.

After surgeries to repair damage to his hips last year his body is still hurting. He will try to rest up and heal during his time off, but has no plans of hanging it up just yet.

Internally, all signs continue to point to the undefeated streak at WrestleMania remaining intact.

The streak is symbolic of the Undertaker and of WWE’s signature pay per view event. If they were going to end it they would have done it last year in Houston.

Creatively, the story plays out much better with a Michaels loss anyway. And despite all of their flaws for the rest of the year, WWE always seems to get it right around WrestleMania.

This year should be no exception.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:05 AM »
Taker ain't losing.

Anyone know any websites to watch the PPV for free?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »
Taker ain't losing.

Anyone know any websites to watch the PPV for free?
Taker is gonna win. Its better for the business. Bottom line.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 10:37:31 AM »
Fuck Taker.

One of the worst workers ever... Dude has 3 moves and that's about it.

Not a Phenom.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 12:49:30 PM »
Yeah there's absolutely no reason to end Undertakers streak. He's gonna take it to 20-0 then retire I bet. I have always liked HBK but come on. You cannot take the steak away from the Undertaker. It's like when HBK wrestled Hogan. Imagine HBK pinned Hogan. Shawns just gonna put on a great performance. He's not gonna win it. Deadman deserves to retire with the streak in tact. The guy just got blown up and still wrestled his match. You cannot mess with this guys legacy. It just wouldn't be right.
Michaels will do what he does best and thats put on a stellar performance on the big stage. We will be in for a treat for sure with that match.