Author Topic: Russia to begin drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico  (Read 1509 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Russia to begin drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »
I dont agree at all.  That means we are reliant on foreign oil and the arabs etc.  BTW - THERE IS NOT A VIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO OIL! 

Please tell me what it is.   

I agree that you don't agree but still disagree on what i originally disagreed on.

Viable alternatives?  

Nuclear power.

As far as for automobiles, there isn't one yet.  But aggressive development will breed one.

Until then buy a dam prius!  ;D  And let's use up the ME oil.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
I dont agree at all.  That means we are reliant on foreign oil and the arabs etc.  BTW - THERE IS NOT A VIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO OIL! 

Please tell me what it is.   
Thats not quite true.
Coal natural gas and synthetic oil from oil shale give the US the large energy reserves in the world and are all alternatives to oil.
The greens don't like people to exploit these, which is a shame.

Now if you want to go all green..
Large scale hydro and Nuclear, with a small mix of wind and solar for peak loads is would a great alternative.

However any type of power generation has its draw backs and for  wind, solar and hydro, it is the amount of land they require to make energy.
Z

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 01:43:36 PM »
Thats not quite true.
Coal natural gas and synthetic oil from oil shale give the US the large energy reserves in the world and are all alternatives to oil.
The greens don't like people to exploit these, which is a shame.

Now if you want to go all green..
Large scale hydro and Nuclear, with a small mix of wind and solar for peak loads is would a great alternative.

However any type of power generation has its draw backs and for  wind, solar and hydro, it is the amount of land they require to make energy.

I'm talking about fuel for cars, planes, and trucks and the vechicles that fuel commerce in this nation.  $4.00 a gallon for gas literally was was sparked the meltdown in the economy.  Just look up the timing.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 02:00:56 PM »
I'm talking about fuel for cars, planes, and trucks and the vechicles that fuel commerce in this nation.  $4.00 a gallon for gas literally was was sparked the meltdown in the economy.  Just look up the timing.   

So your solution to a volatile situation is to not look for an alternative to peak oil, but instead try to put of the day when gas exceeds $4.00 a gallon for as long as possible?  You do realize oil is a finite resource right? 
Abandon every hope...

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
You realize about a 1/3 of American imports is for synthetic oil. Think oil sands from Canada.
Z

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
You realize about a 1/3 of American imports is for synthetic oil. Think oil sands from Canada.

No kidding, but pricing is also based on speculation of future supply.  Notice how any time we threatent to increase supply the cost starts coming down?

Again - if gas goes to $4.00 a gallon again in the near term, what alternative is avaialble to people that we have been hearing about?   

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »
No kidding, but pricing is also based on speculation of future supply.  Notice how any time we threatent to increase supply the cost starts coming down?

Again - if gas goes to $4.00 a gallon again in the near term, what alternative is avaialble to people that we have been hearing about?   
When gas goes back to 4.00 a gallon in the near term there will be no alternative.
Any move away from gas in cars will take generations.
however gas can be made from coal, oil shale, and vehicles can be converted to natural gas.

Gas pricing has more to do with the fact the US dollar tanking and China and India have started to peg their oil prices again.
This time Obama won't be able to stop them because America has too much foreign debt, which is pressuring the dollar.
But on the bright side China will need to buy foreign currency to offset the cost of pegging oil.
Which means the China US merry go round is back.
Z

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »
When gas goes back to 4.00 a gallon in the near term there will be no alternative.
Any move away from gas in cars will take generations.
however gas can be made from coal, oil shale, and vehicles can be converted to natural gas.

Gas pricing has more to do with the fact the US dollar tanking and China and India have started to peg their oil prices again.
This time Obama won't be able to stop them because America has too much foreign debt, which is pressuring the dollar.
But on the bright side China will need to buy foreign currency to offset the cost of pegging oil.
Which means the China US merry go round is back.

Which is why I keep saying we need to stop the printing, spending, etc and get our financial house in order. 

If gas goes back to $4.00 a gallon or high we are heading for another collapse. 

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 02:37:12 PM »
Which is why I keep saying we need to stop the printing, spending, etc and get our financial house in order. 

If gas goes back to $4.00 a gallon or high we are heading for another collapse. 

Actually what caused the collapse wasn't 4.00 gas, but the fact China and India raised its national oil price on June 20th.
This reduced the amount of T-bills that they were buying, which cause a correction to interest rates. This correction caused the whole house of cards to collapse.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2008/06/20/afx5137139.html
The longer-term impact of China's move on world oil prices would not be clear until later in the year, when numbers about demand are released for the market to digest, Ernsberger said.
Z

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
Actually what caused the collapse wasn't 4.00 gas, but the fact China and India raised its national oil price on June 20th.
This reduced the amount of T-bills that they were buying, which cause a correction to interest rates. This correction caused the whole house of cards to collapse.

The longer-term impact of China's move on world oil prices would not be clear until later in the year, when numbers about demand are released for the market to digest, Ernsberger said.

$4.00 a gas made people stop engaging in all sorts of commerce.  I remember it like yesterday.  Boating industry died, recreational stuff died, people were not flying, etc etc. 

At $400 a gallon, peopl estop doing stuff and just stay home.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 02:45:05 PM »
joker, your input is greatly appreciated here.  You've owned my arguments 1000 times, and I look fwd to it every time.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »
joker, your input is greatly appreciated here.  You've owned my arguments 1000 times, and I look fwd to it every time.

Yeah Joker is the man. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 02:51:46 PM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »

$4.00 a gallon was also an emotional and psychological barrier that made people curtail a lot of activities as well.  Seeing the $$.00 number at the pump made a big difference compared to $3.25.   

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 03:09:51 PM »
People not buying things had nothing to do with interest rates increasing.

It was the artificially low interest rates that allowed people to get into houses that they can't afford.
Once the rates were corrected in July. Everything went to hell.
This is do to the whole inter management of China and US.

Thanks for the kind words.
I was posting a lot less because the board can get full of tools and its hard to have reasonable discussion, when there are these people post stories without actually reading them.
I think Hugo called me on this about 100times.
Z

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 03:12:22 PM »
People not buying things had nothing to do with interest rates increasing.

It was the artificially low interest rates that allowed people to get into houses that they can't afford.
Once the rates were corrected in July. Everything went to hell.
This is do to the whole inter management of China and US.

Thanks for the kind words.
I was posting a lot less because the board can get full of tools and its hard to have reasonable discussion, when there are these people post stories without actually reading them.
I think Hugo called me on this about 100times.

I didnt say the gas prices were the cause, but they were a spark to the meltdown.   I remember people literally stopping everything there were doing. 

Everything came together and we melted down.