Author Topic: What have Democrats Given Up?  (Read 1610 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
What have Democrats Given Up?
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »
With the talk of compromise and "bipartisanship", I was just wondering what the Democrats have given up to be bipartisan for the healthcare bill?

I'll give abortion a "maybe", but we'll see.  Other than that I'm at a loss...

And forget the public option because they couldn't get that past their own Democratic base.

Is there anything else besides maybe abortion?

turrilli

• Getbig II
Re: What have Democrats Given Up?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »
With the talk of compromise and "bipartisanship", I was just wondering what the Democrats have given up to be bipartisan for the healthcare bill?

I'll give abortion a "maybe", but we'll see.  Other than that I'm at a loss...

And forget the public option because they couldn't get that past their own Democratic base.

Is there anything else besides maybe abortion?

They haven't given up anything. This bill is a stepping stone and they know that. It's the foundation to build what they want upon. It's the first step toward their grand idea of the single payer system and socialized medicine.

We've heard them say it over and over, this is the first step, this is a starter home we'll put additions on as we go, this is the first step towards fundamentally transforming America (Obama's words) this is similar to the steps Canada took (and we should note their leaders come to the U.S. for their health care) this is Insanity!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:02:04 AM »
what was the bill they got Olympia Snowe to agree to?

more or less obnoxious than this version?

Did the repubs make a good move by stringing the dems along, then having snowe double cross them?

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:40:19 AM »
Obama better make the democratic base happy soon.

People are pissed mad about his No Change attitude.

Free health care better only be the beginning.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 06:08:04 AM »
what was the bill they got Olympia Snowe to agree to?

more or less obnoxious than this version?

Did the repubs make a good move by stringing the dems along, then having snowe double cross them?

I'll take that as a 2-fold answer.

1.  You can't name anything they've given up.

2.  You're clueless about Snowe.  She didn't double cross anybody.  She stated clearly that she was no where near a guaranteed vote for the bill and only voted to advance it in the committee to help promote bipartisan discussion.  Of course, she got fucked on that, eh?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:12:55 AM »
Obama better make the democratic base happy soon.

People are pissed mad about his No Change attitude.

Free health care better only be the beginning.

OK, but can you think of anything the Dems have given up in the healthcare bill to help achieve bipartisan support?

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:49:50 AM »

OK, but can you think of anything the Dems have given up in the healthcare bill to help achieve bipartisan support?

Like you said, probably abortion or any other hot button issue that gets the repugnants' nipples hard.

I suspect the giving up will extend economic issues though. Methinks the democrats have used up major brownie points with this one. BUT at least Obama will get some of his base back.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 11:59:21 AM »
Nothing.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »
They gave up the public option (supported by many Dems and much of the public) and they gave up the anti-trust exemption

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »
thanks straw man.  I forgot about the public option, they certainly gave that up.

turrilli

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 03:37:39 PM »
thanks straw man.  I forgot about the public option, they certainly gave that up.

No they didn't give it up completely. For this bill, yes, but they have stated time and time again that this bill is the first step, that if this bill is passed it will open the door for more legislation to be passed and attached or amended. They recognized that they couldn't get all they wanted with one swing but understood if they at least put the foundation in place that they could build upon it. Most all domestic policy that entails social issues is set up this way and it's set up this way every single time it is set up by progressives. There is no way on this earth that they would have brought this bill to the floor if for one second they didn't think they could build upon it and "progress" it towards what they really want.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »
They gave up the public option (supported by many Dems and much of the public) and they gave up the anti-trust exemption

No, they didn't.  They had an insufficient number of Democrats who supported the public option so it had to be removed.  It had nothing to do with bipartisanship.

I don't know the stances on the antitrust exemption, so I'll have to give you that one.

And, I just read they didn't give up the abortion issue, instead compromising with an executive order from Barry.

So, that's it?  1 fucking concession in the spirit of bipartisanship?

lol...Democrats can be real pricks...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
Here's a link from the White House of Republican ideas which are included in the legislation
http://www.whitehouse.gov/health-care-meeting/republican-ideas

That's a hell of a lot more than the Dems got during the Bush Administration

I don't even remember Bush or the Repubs even pretending consider Dem ideas

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 04:58:39 PM »
Here's a link from the White House of Republican ideas which are included in the legislation

I thought the reps had no ideas I mean thats what you guys and MSNBC parroted for 6 months? hmmmm

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »
I thought the reps had no ideas I mean thats what you guys and MSNBC parroted for 6 months? hmmmm

That's what I thought too

I haven't heard them mention anything except Tort Reform and Tax Cuts for Fetuses but apparently they had some ideas.

Obama had actually mentioned including their ideas more than a few times.

The irony is that whenever Repub ideas are included they still don't vote for the bill and I believe last month they even voted against some of the very stuff they sponsored as soon as the Dems decided to get on board with it

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »
That's what I thought too

I haven't heard them mention anything except Tort Reform and Tax Cuts for Fetuses but apparently they had some ideas.

Obama had actually mentioned including their ideas more than a few times.

The irony is that whenever Repub ideas are included they still don't vote for the bill and I believe last month they even voted against some of the very stuff they sponsored as soon as the Dems decided to get on board with it
thats b/c they feel the bill is to big and to far reaching which I agree with, I do however see your point and they did nothing so they to are to blame for this...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
thats b/c they feel the bill is to big and to far reaching which I agree with, I do however see your point and they did nothing so they to are to blame for this...

Did it ever dawn on you guys that the govt is not supposed to be everywhere at all times regulating everthing?

Does freedom at all mean anything to you libs?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 05:38:02 PM »

Yeah, I was looking more along the lines of what the Dem's really wanted but were willing to concede.  Both sides have good ideas, but I'm really against the way they did this bill.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 11:17:03 AM »
They gave up the public option NOT for republicans but because they couldnt get it passed in the senate by DEMOCRATS!!!The democrats idea of bi-partisinship is republicans agreeing with them.They never give up a dam thing.You guys are blind.This bill was fought BY DEMOCRATS!!!!Republicans couldnt stop ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

Mons Venus

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »

NeoCons are NOW tasting George W Bush type "bipartisanship"

How does it taste?  :D :D :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 12:17:38 PM »

No, they didn't.  They had an insufficient number of Democrats who supported the public option so it had to be removed.  It had nothing to do with bipartisanship.

I don't know the stances on the antitrust exemption, so I'll have to give you that one.

And, I just read they didn't give up the abortion issue, instead compromising with an executive order from Barry.

So, that's it?  1 fucking concession in the spirit of bipartisanship?

lol...Democrats can be real pricks...

Correct.  The only thing they "gave up" were things needed to get their own party members to support the bill. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Didn't need to give up much.  Why should they?  The people voted them in, we had 8 years of bullsh*t it's time to bring out the victory cigar!

Abandon every hope...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
Didn't need to give up much.  Why should they?  The people voted them in, we had 8 years of bullsh*t it's time to bring out the victory cigar!

Really?8 years of bullshit?Under Bush we had 54 consecutive months of job growth.That ended the day Nany Pelosi and the liberal dems took control of congress.So lets see,54 consecutive month of job growth compared to 4 million jobs lost.Hmmmmm,the bullshit seems to be on Obama and the democrats plate.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 01:54:15 PM »
Sorry billy can't read what you're typing through the haze of my victory cigar.  Better make sure you've got your insurance or the IRS will be on your door step  ;D
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
Sorry billy can't read what you're typing through the haze of my victory cigar.  Better make sure you've got your insurance or the IRS will be on your door step  ;D

Enough said.