Author Topic: who has payed for uninsured up untill now?  (Read 1743 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
who has payed for uninsured up untill now?
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »
OK...some uninsured guy has a heart attack couple stints open heart surgery half a million dollars later hes good to go...If he didn't pay who paid for that?

some uninsured guy get cancer...chemotherapy couple surgery's to remove tumors $250,000 later he's in remission...If he don't pay for it or files bankruptcy who pays for it?

All the uninsured that get treatment but never paid who ended up paying?
DAWG

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: who has payed for uninsured up untill now?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »
uh, I don't think most uninsured are going to get those operations.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »
uh, I don't think most uninsured are going to get those operations.

I had a neighbor few years back that was uninsured...His wife called an ambulance when he said he had chest pain....they rushed him to the hospital...open heart triple bypass all that shit total bill was $300,000
he didn't pay a Penny....who ended up paying for it?

are you saying if an ambulance comes and picks up a gunshot wound victim they check his insurance before they do surgery?...if a guy gets robbed and shot and has no insurance....If he doesn't pay the bill...who does?
DAWG

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:22:23 PM »
I had a neighbor few years back that was uninsured...His wife called an ambulance when he said he had chest pain....they rushed him to the hospital...open heart triple bypass all that shit total bill was $300,000
he didn't pay a Penny....who ended up paying for it?

are you saying if an ambulance comes and picks up a gunshot wound victim they check his insurance before they do surgery?...if a guy gets robbed and shot and has no insurance....If he doesn't pay the bill...who does?

No they can't refuse to do the surgery if he doesn't have insurance.  We have anti-patient dumping laws that prevent that from happening. 

No one pays.  It's just part of the hospital's cost of doing business. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:26:12 PM »
No they can't refuse to do the surgery if he doesn't have insurance.  We have anti-patient dumping laws that prevent that from happening.  5
No one pays.  It's just part of the hospital's cost of doing business
aren't you the guy that always argues that businesses just pass along cost increases to their customers

don't hospitals do the same thing.......just roll the cost into what they charge their customers?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »
I guess maybe I don't get it but what's up with all the people who are trying to raise money to get treatment?  I mean if they can just go in and get it, why does virtually every city across America have jars in stores raising money for somebody's cancer treatment or heart transplant or whatever.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:10 PM »
aren't you the guy that always argues that businesses just pass along cost increases to their customers

don't hospitals do the same thing.......just roll the cost into what they charge their customers?

Not necessarily, because hospitals get paid by insurance companies and the government, which regulate and control what the hospital will receive.  

And I don't "argue" that businesses pass along increased costs to customers.  I just state the facts.  It's true.  Of course there are some exceptions.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
No they can't refuse to do the surgery if he doesn't have insurance.  We have anti-patient dumping laws that prevent that from happening. 

No one pays.  It's just part of the hospital's cost of doing business. 

no one pays?...so the ambulance drivers the nurses the anaesthesiologist the surgical doctors the therapy/rehab workers...they don't get paid?they did that shit for free?
DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 09:32:20 PM »
Not necessarily, because hospitals get paid by insurance companies

hospitals that treat uninsured people get paid by insurance companies?
DAWG

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »
Not necessarily, because hospitals get paid by insurance companies and the government, which regulate and control what the hospital will receive.  

And I don't "argue" that businesses pass along increased costs to customers.  I just state the facts.  It's true.  Of course there are some exceptions.

I recall you making that argument more than one time

why do health insurance companies raise rates if not to pass on rising costs?

where do the rising costs come from?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
no one pays?...so the ambulance drivers the nurses the anaesthesiologist the surgical doctors the therapy/rehab workers...they don't get paid?they did that shit for free?

Ambulance drivers don't work for hospitals.  Nurses, doctors, etc. are paid by the hospital. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 09:37:25 PM »
hospitals that treat uninsured people get paid by insurance companies?

No.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:42:49 PM »
Ambulance drivers don't work for hospitals.  Nurses, doctors, etc. are paid by the hospital. 

were does the money come from if they are not paid by the person they are treating?
DAWG

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
were does the money come from if they are not paid by the person they are treating?

The money comes from the hospital's budget.  They build this kind of thing into their budget.  Just like a (smart) business builds non-paying suppliers, customers, etc. into their budget.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 09:45:52 PM »
you're not going to get the answer you're looking for from bb lol...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »
they pass on the costs to those WITH insurance, who actually pay.

it's why an aspirin costs $90 at a hospital.  You are paying for the 500 d-bags who walked out on their bill.

it's a screwed up system.  You can't let ppl bleed out on the sidewalk, as much as that would be the fair thing to do.

I have no idea the answer dude.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 09:48:10 PM »
The money comes from the hospital's budget.  They build this kind of thing into their budget.  Just like a (smart) business builds non-paying suppliers, customers, etc. into their budget.

OK...but were does the money come from?how exactly do they build it into there budget?they have a money press and just print some extra cash up to cover the uninsured that don't pay?...can you be more specific?...
DAWG

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »
they pass on the costs to those WITH insurance, who actually pay.

it's why an aspirin costs $90 at a hospital.  You are paying for the 500 d-bags who walked out on their bill.

it's a screwed up system.  You can't let ppl bleed out on the sidewalk, as much as that would be the fair thing to do.

I have no idea the answer dude.

of course they do

weird that bum is unaware of that or chooses to deny it (even weirder)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 09:50:31 PM »
OK...but were does the money come from?how exactly do they build it into there budget?they have a money press and just print some extra cash up to cover the uninsured that don't pay?...can you be more specific?...

The money primarily comes from insurance companies and the government who provide reimbursements for services the hospital provides to other patients and any other revenue the hospital generates.   

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
The money primarily comes from insurance companies and the government who provide reimbursements for services the hospital provides to other patients and any other revenue the hospital generates.   

were does the government get there money from?
DAWG

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »
were does the government get there money from?

lol.  YOU. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 09:54:54 PM »
phase II ;D

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »
Actually Beach, most states pay for it through taxes.
However, they have a right to do things like garnish your wages for eternity and the like.
Thats why lots of working poor claim bankrupcy right after something like this
http://www.aetna.com/about/aoti/aetna_perspective/uninsured.html
: Don’t the uninsured already receive free or discounted health care?
A: No, uninsured patients typically do not receive services at discounted rates. In fact, most are likely to go without care at all or be treated in high-cost emergency room settings. According to the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured (August 2008), one-quarter of uninsured adults “go without needed care due to cost each year.” Because they do not receive early treatment and regular preventive care, the uninsured are more likely to be hospitalized and die from preventable causes. When those without coverage do receive treatment, expenses are significantly higher than those of their insured counterparts due to group discounts negotiated by employer-sponsored insurance plans. According to Health Affairs, bills that cannot be paid – the uninsured will receive about $56 billion in uncompensated care in 2008 – are passed on to taxpayers through government programs that will finance 75 percent of the cost, or to the privately insured through higher rates. In short, America covers the uninsured in the least effective, most expensive manner possible.
Z

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
Actually Beach, most states pay for it through taxes.
However, they have a right to do things like garnish your wages for eternity and the like.
Thats why lots of working poor claim bankrupcy right after something like this
http://www.aetna.com/about/aoti/aetna_perspective/uninsured.html
: Don’t the uninsured already receive free or discounted health care?
A: No, uninsured patients typically do not receive services at discounted rates. In fact, most are likely to go without care at all or be treated in high-cost emergency room settings. According to the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured (August 2008), one-quarter of uninsured adults “go without needed care due to cost each year.” Because they do not receive early treatment and regular preventive care, the uninsured are more likely to be hospitalized and die from preventable causes. When those without coverage do receive treatment, expenses are significantly higher than those of their insured counterparts due to group discounts negotiated by employer-sponsored insurance plans. According to Health Affairs, bills that cannot be paid – the uninsured will receive about $56 billion in uncompensated care in 2008 – are passed on to taxpayers through government programs that will finance 75 percent of the cost, or to the privately insured through higher rates. In short, America covers the uninsured in the least effective, most expensive manner possible.

Yeah.  Thanks.  I know about that option, but I don't think most hospitals spend a lot of time chasing uninsured people they are required to treat (e.g., someone who shows up at the ER).  Most of the people they go after are those who have insurance and receive some treatment, but some of the treatment is not covered resulting in unpaid bills. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
I'm just trying to understand....the gov gets money from me/you...the tax payer....they then give to the hospital workers?

the insurance companies get money from the insured....and give to the hospital?to help cover the cost of the uninsured?

so the guy that got mugged and stabbed but has no insurance but still gets stitched up....if he doesn't pay/files bankruptcy....the insurance companies and tax payers pay for him?
DAWG